DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Thinking back about games like 1995 Network Q RAC Rally Championship and Mobil 1 Rally Championship 2000 with 20min long stages, that was awesome

sqdstr said:
Thinking back about games like 1995 Network Q RAC Rally Championship and Mobil 1 Rally Championship 2000 with 20min long stages, that was awesome
Yea that game was great in it's day

dgeesi0 said:
as long as sweet lambs in im happy :)                            
I hope it’s not. I want new stages. Not ones we have already seen. 
I don’t understand everone’s mentality behind wanting DR1 stages. We’ve all been playing them to death for the last two years! I’d much rather have something fresh and new. Plus you know people would complain saying it’s the exact same game as the last one with a couple of new stages.

Also, stage building tech has come on since DR1, with bumps, smoother stage edges and the new rutting system. It would probably be just as easy to make a whole new stage rather than update the old ones

dgeesi0 said:
I don’t understand everone’s mentality behind wanting DR1 stages. We’ve all been playing them to death for the last two years! I’d much rather have something fresh and new. Plus you know people would complain saying it’s the exact same game as the last one with a couple of new stages.

Also, stage building tech has come on since DR1, with bumps, smoother stage edges and the new rutting system. It would probably be just as easy to make a whole new stage rather than update the old ones
Well, if it's comes down to "we don't have resources to make more stages from scratch, but we can rework the ones from DR and add them as DLC" it's not really much to think about imo. 

dgeesi0 said:

I really don't understand how anyone could not want them in the new game. I'd prefer the new game to feel like progress in areas other than physics and if Codies get into the habit of discarding stages after each game then we'll never have many kilometres. Imagine if Project CARS 2 had decided "you know what guys, we can't use any of the same tracks from Project CARS 1".

I'm looking forward to the game and Codies have already proven they can make stages which are superb works of art. But we're going to run into the same problem with this one as DR1 very quickly I fear. DLC seasons are great, but finding a way to add the superb DR1 stages would add longevity to all the new stages too IMO.

I both agree and disagree with the above posts as I think all of your points are right!

I would love to see the DR stages in DR2.0 but, as has been said, wouldn't want to see resources diverted from new stages in order to get them. I also agree that, if they were to be included as part of the DLC program they would have my support, but it's inevitable that CM will be accused of recycling old content.

tbtstt said:
I both agree and disagree with the above posts as I think all of your points are right!

I would love to see the DR stages in DR2.0 but, as has been said, wouldn't want to see resources diverted from new stages in order to get them. I also agree that, if they were to be included as part of the DLC program they would have my support, but it's inevitable that CM will be accused of recycling old content.
If they were to release as a separate DLC pack it would still be up to the consumer if he wants to pay for it or not.

If they were in the base game they would be getting crap for that as well. 

It's quite hard to win as a game developer these days  :D

dgeesi0 said:

Glad to see someone else feels the same as me. 

There are are literally thousands upon thousands of unique stage miles that they could choose to make. I’ve done hundreds and hundreds of virtual miles on the DR stages, and I am quite done with them to be honest. New game = new stages. 

Both points are valid but there's something that overcomes all of them: By adding DR1 stages into the mix, together with the ones coming from DLC, we'll finally have a rally game from Codemasters where we can play the 'full rally calendar' with the best physics and the best cars up to date. Championships will be more fun and more enjoyable as never seen before and that will allow us to keep entertained for a long time competing in organized championships, not to mention it will keep the game alive for a very long time. And if Codies keep releasing these seasons (not only in content but also in eSports) we have here for the first time a platform for Rally Racing which can and will attract more people to play it.

It's a win-win here, rather than split the whole community in half with releases (DR1 + D4) and both being dead.

dgeesi0 said:

I really don't understand how anyone could not want them in the new game. I'd prefer the new game to feel like progress in areas other than physics and if Codies get into the habit of discarding stages after each game then we'll never have many kilometres. Imagine if Project CARS 2 had decided "you know what guys, we can't use any of the same tracks from Project CARS 1".

I'm looking forward to the game and Codies have already proven they can make stages which are superb works of art. But we're going to run into the same problem with this one as DR1 very quickly I fear. DLC seasons are great, but finding a way to add the superb DR1 stages would add longevity to all the new stages too IMO.
It’s a bit different from a rally stage to a circuit. You are supposed to learn a circuit, so it doesn’t really matter if it’s repeated in sequels. Rallying is supposed to be about the unknown. I personally try my hardest to deliberately not learn the dirt rally stages. Some of it is inevitable, there are parts I pick up, but I still don’t know them too well. Even so, I’m done with those 12 stages and want something different

I have to say I mostly agree with @RallyDriven . While I would accept reworked DR 1 stages I would rather them further down the line. I think the first focus should be on either new rallies or old rallies with new stages. If they released dr1 stages with no new ones as paid for dlc I'd have to say it would feel a smidge like being mugged off.

It is kind of strange not to want dr1 stages in dr2. Normal is to takevthe goid thinfs when you make a new gamem improve bad things and drop things that didn't work (yourstage). The stages from dr1 were very good so should be used (yes bting them to the latest game standard).

Alk those complaining over repetive stagesm I got bad news for you, you are going to complain within a month after release dr2, you can't be helped.

It is kind of strange not to want dr1 stages in dr2. Normal is to takevthe goid thinfs when you make a new gamem improve bad things and drop things that didn't work (yourstage). The stages from dr1 were very good so should be used (yes bting them to the latest game standard).

Alk those complaining over repetive stagesm I got bad news for you, you are going to complain within a month after release dr2, you can't be helped.
That's not the issue. The issue is paying twice for the same thing. After complaints that dr1 had no DLC and then releasing DR1 as DLC in DR2 I don't think is the way to go, certainly not with the first 2 seasons. I like dirt rallies stages too but there's tons of other stages out there they could release. Release DR1 stages alongside new stages is A ok.

sqdstr said:
Network Q and Mobil 1! Memories, memories. Be still my beating heart. I loved those games and their loooooooooooooong stages. I think it was Pundershaw that ran for over 20 minutes, if you were quick! 

@Rallystu2 whilst that is an ideal, there's no chance of them doing that for each 'old' location. For instance, I'd love to see the Greek stages back in but there's no way they'd make another 20km of Greece IMO.

They don't need to cost the same as a completely new stage (although I'd personally not complain if they were) but would be good to see. I'd definitely rather pay for DR1's updated rally stages as a new RX circuit which I'll never use!

Maybe the plan is to use them for Seasons 3 & 4 if the first two sell well (no RX circuits, 3 'old' locations in each)? Either way, they're not going to be on the horizon any time shortly after launch I guess, although clearly the team have thought about this somewhat going off some of the earlier interviews. Maybe those ideas will be revealed later on.

@Rallystu2 whilst that is an ideal, there's no chance of them doing that for each 'old' location. For instance, I'd love to see the Greek stages back in but there's no way they'd make another 20km of Greece IMO.

They don't need to cost the same as a completely new stage (although I'd personally not complain if they were) but would be good to see. I'd definitely rather pay for DR1's updated rally stages as a new RX circuit which I'll never use!

Maybe the plan is to use them for Seasons 3 & 4 if the first two sell well (no RX circuits, 3 'old' locations in each)? Either way, they're not going to be on the horizon any time shortly after launch I guess, although clearly the team have thought about this somewhat going off some of the earlier interviews. Maybe those ideas will be revealed later on.
I agree with you, at the end in 25hs of driving in the new stages of DR2.0 you will know every single corner as the DR1 stages, so why dont add them.

I dunno, I have a feeling the DLC locations for the first two seasons will be 2 rallies from DR1. I think Ross said 'the return of some fan favourites' in an interview somewhere. 

If we get only one Rally and two RX per DLC, I would prefer a new Rally location. Corsica(WRC) for example or Azores(ERC) or Japan(APRC).
If we get remastered versions from DR1, I doubt, but hope that we get two Rallies and only one RX per DLC instead. Choice would then be Sweden and Monte first, Wales and Germany second.
I can spare the rest. IMHO Poland beats Finland, because narrower road and equally fast. and Argentina beats Greece, obvious I hope ^^

SkyRex said:
If we get only one Rally and two RX per DLC, I would prefer a new Rally location. Corsica(WRC) for example or Azores(ERC) or Japan(APRC).
If we get remastered versions from DR1, I doubt, but hope that we get two Rallies and only one RX per DLC instead. Choice would then be Sweden and Monte first, Wales and Germany second.
I can spare the rest. IMHO Poland beats Finland, because narrower road and equally fast. and Argentina beats Greece, obvious I hope ^^

You think they might miss out on an RX circuit? Like you, I also doubt it.

dgeesi0 said:

Yes, the old rallies should come back, but not as paid DLC.

Old content, New content
I'm looking forward to narrow roads.
What I want from a DR 2.0  when you make the slightest mistake make me want to tear my hair out.

SkyRex said:

Ha, that's my problem; I genuinely can't work out which ones I prefer more.

I was really disappointed by Finland in DR1; the stage itself was utterly superb, but the experience somewhat soured for me by the cars flying weightless through the air - if the new physics are as good as the guys suggest I'd love to enjoy Ounimpoujha as it should be.

Greece was very different to Argentina IMO, although I see some similarities in surface obviously. But El Condor is a single road, no junctions, a lot of precision at low speed but you shouldn't ever need the handbrake really (bit of a guess there but doesn't look like it). Greece was full of hairpins and junctions and the stage with all the hairpins down the hill will live on in my memory.

Anyway, a new week dawns, let's see what tidbits of information it brings!