F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

It does indeed make a huge difference and this is something i've been requesting since DiRT Rally 1. I even used WRC2 PS2 examples and WRC highlights. I wouldn't go so far as controlling helicopters, but if we had a proper Heli view and TV cameras and you were able to switch in between cameras and keep it at that through the whole stage it'd be awesome. Now that the stages are back to bespoke, that's something easier to do than in D4.
These TV cameras with the cars passing by is something we need, not only for replay but for spectator mode as well. If theres any chance we can get a demo system in which we can load replays and mess with the cameras that would be epic.

WRC2001-2005 devs, Evolution Studios, are now working in Codemasters, so it shouldn't be a problem :D

Finally someone who understands me and knows the importance of replay thanks dude ??

carpa said:
ipascal said:
So from time to time I replay WRC 1 on PS2 to enjoy watching my replay with the good view of helicopter camera ?
so please sir developers, try to get inspiration from WRC 1 on ps2 regarding replay. watch the video I put before !!
thank you
Mate I think you have some kind of problem.
We could call it Helicopterofilia... 
Not to be confused with Hellaphilia, which is an obsession with rally car light pods

I didn't realize there was a name for my condition! Now I know what to tell my wife when I finally break down and start drilling holes in the hood of our car.

FlattJern said:
How was Onrush anyway? I never got the chance to play it considering there was no pc port

Onrush was to arcade games, what D4 was to sims... Way overhyped, and even more arcade than expected... 
Shouldn't being arcade be a good thing in arcade world lol?

Bout time we got that early Christmas present. New stream coming soon guys? 

Maybe RGT in Poland or Spain?

Some sneaky Phil Mills pace notes on Jon's Instagram story. 

Getting used to that voice I must say  B)

Yea phil is a great choice for co driver. Really nice job by cm getting him in.

He was always high on my list of voices I wanted in a game behind only Robert Reid, but that's only because I always a big Burns fan.

Just seen that Jon has confirmed rallycross content will be part of the next livestream: I look forward to seeing more! 

tbtstt said:
Just seen that Jon has confirmed rallycross content will be part of the next livestream: I look forward to seeing more! 
That's cool so long as we get the Porsche stream that went AWOL, also.

A reminder of the type of physics realism we should come to expect is surpassed, in a Polish rally sim stage:

;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jBexZKWUw8

I have a confession to make. I've just tried D4 with the wheel and the handling isn't as bad as I've previously said. In reference to the R5 class only. There are still some horrible things about it but I now appreciate the adjustments to weight and braking more so than with a controller. 
So if they are taking positives from Dirt rally and D4 I have a bit more confidence that it will feel good.

Rallystu2 said:
I have a confession to make. I've just tried D4 with the wheel and the handling isn't as bad as I've previously said. In reference to the R5 class only. There are still some horrible things about it but I now appreciate the adjustments to weight and braking more so than with a controller. 
So if they are taking positives from Dirt rally and D4 I have a bit more confidence that it will feel good.

welcome to the wheel snob club!

Flykas said:
FlattJern said:
How was Onrush anyway? I never got the chance to play it considering there was no pc port

Onrush was to arcade games, what D4 was to sims... Way overhyped, and even more arcade than expected... 
Shouldn't being arcade be a good thing in arcade world lol?
Not when it gets too swaggy and casual.

@christinaMc is there any chance I could have early access to the game? In exchange I'll do all washing up at codies hq once a week every week leading up to the games release. The only stipulation is that I don't have to clean Tupperware containers as I can't deal with those. 

Will provide own washing up liquid, gloves and sponge.

Thank you

Rallystu

Rallystu2 said:
@christinaMc is there any chance I could have early access to the game? In exchange I'll do all washing up at codies hq once a week every week leading up to the games release. The only stipulation is that I don't have to clean Tupperware containers as I can't deal with those. 

Thank you

Rallystu
I bet they have a dishwasher, they are not making niche market hardcore sims after all.  

Flykas said:
Rallystu2 said:

Thank you

Rallystu
I bet they have a dishwasher, they are not making niche market hardcore sims after all.  

Yup. Poor Kunos doing their dishes by hand. Who do you think draw the shortest straw? Marco? Stefano? 

I don't think codies would have arcade dishwashing physics. They would go for the most authentic experience possible I believe. 

I wonder if the sinks at Codies have a choice of different compound dish scourers? 

Rallystu2 said:

Thank you

Rallystu
Tupperware is the rallycross of dishware.

afahoy said:
Rallystu2 said:

Thank you

Rallystu
Good call. I'd say bone china is the F1 of dishware. 

tbtstt said:
afahoy said:
Rallystu2 said:

Thank you

Rallystu

It's expensive and I have no interest in it, so that works.

Slow news week.....

tbtstt said:
afahoy said:
Rallystu2 said:

Thank you

Rallystu

It's expensive and I have no interest in it, so that works.

So, after seeing those quotes in the Locations thread about "12 locations with 28 long stages of co-driving recorded", I thought about a resolution to those odd numbers. 28 is 4 more than 2x12.
Assuming at least two long stages per location, and assuming all DR1 locations returning (seems very unlikely they have 6 MORE new locations laying around for co-driver recording), and also assuming every location ends up with roughly the same amount of unique road.
I thought: Maybe they did chain up some of the old DR1 locations (20km stage) and added another new 10km stage to those. Which could lead to roughly 30km road for each location, some with 3 long 10km stages and some with 2 long stages (20km + 10km).

Taking this as reference: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=470160373
I deduct, that every location of DR1 can be chained up very easily, with exception of Greece.
Now assuming that 30km each is right, that leads to 13 long stages for DR1 content (3 for Greece, 2 for rest)
To reach 28, would mean that we get 3 new locations with 3 long stages and 3 new locations with 2 long stages.

Maybe (probably) this is all wrong, every location stays at 20km, parted to two long stages and just 4 locations get an extra SuperSpecialStage...

P.S.: After two months, I am now selling my VR again, and drive on screen for now. Yes, yes I know... I didn't believe it either, but the loss of focus, when moving just the eyes and not the head, is bothering me more than expected, especially while driving. VR is the future, but for me now I think I'll have to wait a little longer. It needs Foveated Rendering, even more resolution and much better lenses (no blurry edges and no bloom-rays), before it is not a compromise anymore. Both options are lacking in different ways now. A Screen missing the 3D and depth immersion, but gaining crispness, less heated face and non-bloom. And since DR2 is launching without VR... congrats to you CM, you got me to wait some more years before fully switching to VR.

So V rally 4 has a few 2011-2016 WRC cars but not any of the current WRC cars. I think it would be fair to speculate that those cars can come back in DR2.

It may just be possible.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that we can get pre '17 WRC cars, we had some in DR anyway.  Just depends on if they want/are able to spend that much money to get enough for a class (gotta imagine they're the most expensive to license) 

SkyRex said:
So, after seeing those quotes in the Locations thread about "12 locations with 28 long stages of co-driving recorded", I thought about a resolution to those odd numbers. 28 is 4 more than 2x12.
Assuming at least two long stages per location, and assuming all DR1 locations returning (seems very unlikely they have 6 MORE new locations laying around for co-driver recording), and also assuming every location ends up with roughly the same amount of unique road.
I thought: Maybe they did chain up some of the old DR1 locations (20km stage) and added another new 10km stage to those. Which could lead to roughly 30km road for each location, some with 3 long 10km stages and some with 2 long stages (20km + 10km).

Taking this as reference: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=470160373
I deduct, that every location of DR1 can be chained up very easily, with exception of Greece.
Now assuming that 30km each is right, that leads to 13 long stages for DR1 content (3 for Greece, 2 for rest)
To reach 28, would mean that we get 3 new locations with 3 long stages and 3 new locations with 2 long stages.

Maybe (probably) this is all wrong, every location stays at 20km, parted to two long stages and just 4 locations get an extra SuperSpecialStage...

P.S.: After two months, I am now selling my VR again, and drive on screen for now. Yes, yes I know... I didn't believe it either, but the loss of focus, when moving just the eyes and not the head, is bothering me more than expected, especially while driving. VR is the future, but for me now I think I'll have to wait a little longer. It needs Foveated Rendering, even more resolution and much better lenses (no blurry edges and no bloom-rays), before it is not a compromise anymore. Both options are lacking in different ways now. A Screen missing the 3D and depth immersion, but gaining crispness, less heated face and non-bloom. And since DR2 is launching without VR... congrats to you CM, you got me to wait some more years before fully switching to VR.

I'm asuming the quote you mentioned is the new codriver for DR 2 commenting about doing recordings of the game recently? Anyway, couldnt 28 long stages mean 12 for the new game (2x6 locations) and 12 for the old game (24 so far) and then 2 more long stages for each of the 2 extra locations that are comeing in season 1 and season 2 respectively?

I really, really hope we are getting all the old DR 1 locations too because playing those beautiful stages again with way better physics will make them all feel new again, me thinks, especially the tarmac ones (with the physics being quite pants overall) and especially with the added weather and lighting, the likes of which we saw in Dirt 4. Plus I havent played them in ages and I still had some way to go before mastering all of them if Im honest and I didnt play Finland much because of the wacky aero effects. Which is a shame because it was gorgeous and potentially the most fun if it had true earth (rather than moon) physics.

Anyway that would make for 14 unique locations in 1 rally game and finally a (Codies) rally game that can deliver a full world season! This to me would be epic and something I have wished for in the past. Plus if DR 2 sells extremely well there is mention of more locations via more DLC seasons
being added, such as seasons 3 and 4.

Its really quite exciting when I think about the potential here  :)