DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Seems to be lots of speculation about this number 28, but I’m pretty sure the most likely scenario is they just said the wrong number, and they meant 24. It wouldn’t make much sense to have an uneven number of stages per location (although I’ve been known to be wrong in the past)

Seems to be lots of speculation about this number 28, but I’m pretty sure the most likely scenario is they just said the wrong number, and they meant 24. It wouldn’t make much sense to have an uneven number of stages per location (although I’ve been known to be wrong in the past)
Might be a simple miss from Prévot. 

I would say the stage numbers indicated are for the 6 locations to have 2 stages each. Double that for the reverse runs and perhaps an extra stage for one of the rallies. Perhaps they needed a little more variety somewhere and added 3 shorter stages instead of 2 long.

Someone suggested earlier that 28 is likely 4x per location, because reverse stages need their own pacenotes. Which would make 7 locations, which sounds about right.

re: 2016 cars, I think with the R5 emphasis, it would seem pointless to include the 2011 WRCs. They're a similar pace anyway.

Anyone remember this?  

https://twitter.com/justbiglee/status/537162966127632384

Hmm... that number 28 keeps showing up 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/28_(number)

It's an important number for sure. But WHAT are they telling us?

Someone suggested earlier that 28 is likely 4x per location, because reverse stages need their own pacenotes. Which would make 7 locations, which sounds about right.
I think the french (belgian, in fact) codriver didn't count the reverses, as he also didn't count the split tracks. And he said there was 12 different rallyes.
So at best, we may have :
- 6 base locations with 2 long tracks each.
- 1 new location with 2 long tracks for each dlcs seasons 1 and 2
- 2 returning locations from DR1 with 1 (or 2) old long track and 2 (or 1) new ones for each dlcs seasons 3 and 4.
Which would be great !

re: 2016 cars, I think with the R5 emphasis, it would seem pointless to include the 2011 WRCs. They're a similar pace anyway.
An extra gear and 30 bhp more, makes all the difference in car feel.

But mainly, seeing WRC cars in EVERY racing game except the one that I actually want to see them in, makes me despair.

AIPacino said:
What if we kickstart a license purchase from FIA.
I'm going to assume you're kidding and give you a 'LOL'.

Will be interesting to see what the pace of the RGT class is. If we can get 3-5 cars in this class (Abarth 124, Nissan 370Z?), I'm really looking forward to it. Not only would they each have their own characters, but if they recapture the feeling of driving RWD that the first DR had, a more modern version, which can hopefully compete near to R5 pace on tarmac, could be a lot of fun.

AIPacino said:

Will be interesting to see what the pace of the RGT class is. If we can get 3-5 cars in this class (Abarth 124, Nissan 370Z?), I'm really looking forward to it. Not only would they each have their own characters, but if they recapture the feeling of driving RWD that the first DR had, a more modern version, which can hopefully compete near to R5 pace on tarmac, could be a lot of fun.
My only worry about those are that they might be too effective on gravel. They really shouldn't be very competitive there. 

bogani said:
AIPacino said:

My only worry about those are that they might be too effective on gravel. They really shouldn't be very competitive there. 
The same way Group B's were posting faster times than modern WRCs in DR1.

Just fired up DR and D4 again, one very very important request to CM for DR2 !!!
Please make it either possible to adjust FOV in Dash-Cam OR make it possible to adjust the seat in cockpit cam much further forward.
In both mentioned games, FOV has zero change in dash cam. And you can't move your seat very far forward, if you've set a high FOV in cockpit cam.

It also would be nice to have degrees in the settings instead of arbitrary numbers, but that is not as important as the above. Some feedback ( @ChristinaMc ) would be much apprechiated:) 

Rygar86 why stop at 4 dlc ;) ? if the game is good it could do more with small dlc, for not that the game dies, watch the crew 2 , gt sport or gta 5, after 3 or 4 big dlc "season", he could add 1 or 2 cars by month with 1 or 2 courses of rally on a country already on the game, and add a new country every 6 months or more. if the game works well with the game sales money, codemasters could buy more licenses for cars or racing licenses (example: add new rally cars, arx licenses and new rallycross circuit (except official RX they already have the licenses). :)

SkyRex said:
Just fired up DR and D4 again, one very very important request to CM for DR2 !!!
Please make it either possible to adjust FOV in Dash-Cam OR make it possible to adjust the seat in cockpit cam much further forward.
In both mentioned games, FOV has zero change in dash cam. And you can't move your seat very far forward, if you've set a high FOV in cockpit cam.

It also would be nice to have degrees in the settings instead of arbitrary numbers, but that is not as important as the above. Some feedback ( @ChristinaMc ) would be much apprechiated:) 
Fully agree. I've been pestering them about this during testing!

same here. im sure they are fully aware :)                                                                                        

Bit more of an in-depth talk about pacenotes from Jon here (no new footage):

https://youtu.be/8uoFHpBOFl8

Really enjoyed a bit more depth and a look at the style of notes in use. Doing an excellent job promoting it.

Bit more of an in-depth talk about pacenotes from Jon here (no new footage):

https://youtu.be/8uoFHpBOFl8

Really enjoyed a bit more depth and a look at the style of notes in use. Doing an excellent job promoting it.

You know, this is something I'd like to see in the official DiRT channel, instead of the 1 min snippets. I mean, us Forum users will still get to see this content, but a less invested follower of the game will probably miss what is in my opinion an interesting insight. Expecially if you're like me and enjoy blaming the codriver for your own crashes (sorry Paul :D) 

gk9147 said:
Rygar86 why stop at 4 dlc ;) ? if the game is good it could do more with small dlc, for not that the game dies, watch the crew 2 , gt sport or gta 5, after 3 or 4 big dlc "season", he could add 1 or 2 cars by month with 1 or 2 courses of rally on a country already on the game, and add a new country every 6 months or more. if the game works well with the game sales money, codemasters could buy more licenses for cars or racing licenses (example: add new rally cars, arx licenses and new rallycross circuit (except official RX they already have the licenses). :)
@gk9147 Coudn't agree more, further seasons would be the best outcome and I really like your idea of adding new courses to existing locations (and cars) on a more regular basis and then a whole new location every few months, that would keep the game fresh for years to come!

The only practical reason for a new rally game is when technology has increased to a point where is makes sense to start again. But with the quality of content Codies already make, that probably wouldn't be for several years. All people really want is more content and for a few things like the very poor replay system and stage length limitations to be finally addressed, because these are really out of step with a modern game.

Other than those issues, just keep shoveling us content and minor fixes and tweaks and they will be making money for years, like with other games and sims out there. Of course this is all dependant on the physics issues from the previous 2 titles being fixed so we have an excellent physics basis with no major holes in it, for them to build on.

In hindsight they really could have done all this right after the full release of Dirt Rally (they really had struck gold there) and we'd already have all that stuff (many locations, all RX tracks and masses of cars to choose from) with still more to come. But they weren't to know and moved forward with their old formula hoping for success, and I think management saw big dollar signs (with Dirt 4) and the rest is history. Even Dirt 4 could have been fantastic if they spent maybe another 6 months to a year developing it fully. Hopefully they'll take a chance on a new formula that gives the Dirt Rally franchise the love and time and opportunity it deserves, because (to me) this still makes sense right now and I think many are calling for it, and if done right it could work out well for everyone.

Seems like that is what they are actually trying to do this time (if a bit cautiously) and this makes me very pleased so far :)

They have clearly planned an investment in two DLC packs, I applaud this, seriously.

Needless to say (but that won't stop me) that a third and even further season DLCs will require the first two being successful, so we gotta but them so they will\can make more of them.

I'd like to buy the first two soon as part of a pre-order, but don't feel like there's anything like enough info about them or the game itself yet.

[insert tumbleweed gif here]

I agree they should perhaps reveal at least 1 of the seasons before release. Though I am still pre ordering deluxe so I'm a hypocrite