DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

@ChristinaMc  Nice sound on the Peugeot 208 T16. Seems updated. Also, have you guys fixed the oversized rear wing on that car?
If that is updated, it is really bad, nowhere close to a 208 R5
It does sound closer, at least. In D4, it was a blatant copy-paste of the Fiesta R5's sound.

@ChristinaMc  Nice sound on the Peugeot 208 T16. Seems updated. Also, have you guys fixed the oversized rear wing on that car?
It does sound closer, at least. In D4, it was a blatant copy-paste of the Fiesta R5's sound.
I don't think they managed to source one sadly. It'll have to be a tweaked Fiesta sample. 

The dust in rallycross looks so unrealistic. Also the colors/shades look alot like dirt4 and not like the much better ones in dirt rally. Alnd the handling of the cars don't seem to be the hardcore of dirt rally. For now it doesn't look sim but more simcade. Sorry, not impressed with what I see.
You must have watched a different stream to me
Have you had a chance to play it as a demo somewhere?
i think Paul Coleman's departure hurt them.

I haven’t watched the stream, but looking forward to sticking it on while I’m having my dinner.

The new trailer looks absolutely fantastic!!

kheiro said:
The dust in rallycross looks so unrealistic. Also the colors/shades look alot like dirt4 and not like the much better ones in dirt rally. Alnd the handling of the cars don't seem to be the hardcore of dirt rally. For now it doesn't look sim but more simcade. Sorry, not impressed with what I see.
The handling prototype feels better than Dirt Rally in pretty much every way. 

It's sad Paul left, but it's in very good hands still! 

bogani said:
I don't think they managed to source one sadly. It'll have to be a tweaked Fiesta sample. 
If they couldn't get a 208 R5, then a DS3 R5 would have done the trick. They sound identical, since the cars are, basically, the same, just with a different body. I guess, in order to source them properly, the car has to be in the UK.

I have compared Polish stage with RL. It's based on SS11/15 Baranowo from 74th Rally Poland 2017, but it isn't exactly the same. The start is different, the finish is a few hundred meters away and a part before village Baranowo (from ca. 22:37 to 23:17 in the DiRT Show footage) is completely imaginary.

Some part of the stage seems to match the RL SS very well, some parts don't (eg. some road signs are missing). The RL WRC car seems to be a little bit faster on straights (which might be WRC vs Peugeot 205 thing), but it's far more slower on middle corners (those 3s and 4s).

I've made a movie with the comparison, but I have doubts sharing it publicly because of WRC license thing.

bogani said:
Sourced, recording in Jan hopefully.

cmsoundfx said:
bogani said: 
Sourced, recording in Jan hopefully.

Nice! Definitely the best sounding R5 in real life and very different to the others (although the new version of the Ford is an improvement) so that's great news.

Just out of interest, what's the furthest afield you've had to go to find a rally car to record thus far?

To me, I like the sound of the Hyundai i20 R5. However it is a detail of CM to look for a real sound of the 208. In Dirt 4 They remade the sounds of the 205 t16 and the Lancia Delta, and they stayed the best of the market. 

kheiro said:
No I haven’t, I’m just going by what I’m watching and it looks very good. It was a shame to lose Paul, but things keep moving, and there are plenty of other people who made dirt rally who will still be there making this. Plus Paul was still there for the start of this project at least

Gosh, that Polish stage looks scary as hell in those flat out sections. Looking great.

I'm worried that the American stages might feel too similar to Poland though, with more room for cutting and going wide.

I have compared Polish stage with RL. It's based on SS11/15 Baranowo from 74th Rally Poland 2017, but it isn't exactly the same. The start is different, the finish is a few hundred meters away and a part before village Baranowo (from ca. 22:37 to 23:17 in the DiRT Show footage) is completely imaginary.

Some part of the stage seems to match the RL SS very well, some parts don't (eg. some road signs are missing). The RL WRC car seems to be a little bit faster on straights (which might be WRC vs Peugeot 205 thing), but it's far more slower on middle corners (those 3s and 4s).

I've made a movie with the comparison, but I have doubts sharing it publicly because of WRC license thing.
For me the begging of the stage looks very similar to Paprotki, that was used in 2017. Until the exit of the first village I actually thought it's Paprotki

I analysed that's stream and gameplay. For me the gravel handling looks very good. Really! Maybe a bit less grip will be better. But on gravel - overall good job codemasters ?
But the tarmac handling looks very bad. Similar to dirt 4. Car is moving a lot. But no! Moving is a bad word. Car is FLOATING! Like a hovercraft again:( look on the corners. Car is rotating. Not TURNING like on real life... For all of as WHO have Hope for a simulation gamę is a big disapointment ? Can You Fix that?? Or we get arcade tarmac handling named simulation again?

@KlimasAdrian I wasn't overly impressed by the tarmac handing either, I agree that it looked a bit 'floaty', but then it's unfair to expect their tarmac handling model to be Assetto Corsa; I'll take any improvements that make it feel a bit more planted and the spin felt very natural in a way that many other sims struggle (dropped a drive wheel onto a loose surface and sudden loss of grip).

As you say, the gravel model looks improved further still, and the way Jon was pitching the nose into the grass before snapping into a turn and leaning on soft banks on exits is something that was impossible in the first DR.

I'm sure further refinements will come. It may be something to do with the Porsche on hard tires though. I agree there doesn't seem to be any roll or load into the corner but until you feel the car with the wheel it's gonna be difficult to judge. But instead of losing confidence after that video I'm gaining it. There's a lot of positives to take out of that video and I think they're demonstrating dedication to giving fans what they want while operating within the cost parameters and time constraints that they have. 

So far so good in my eyes.

Let's say they would have marketed the first Dirt Rally with trailers and live streams. They would have gotten as much crap in the comments as they are getting right now(not only crap, I know) because that is what commenting stuff on the interwebz is about. 

The surprise element of the Dirt Rally release made people jump on it and try it themselves rather than basing opinions on other people's opinions about a brief video or a clip, which in many cases are not really representative of how it actually feels in your own hands. 

@KlimasAdrian I wasn't overly impressed by the tarmac handing either, I agree that it looked a bit 'floaty', but then it's unfair to expect their tarmac handling model to be Assetto Corsa; I'll take any improvements that make it feel a bit more planted and the spin felt very natural in a way that many other sims struggle (dropped a drive wheel onto a loose surface and sudden loss of grip).

As you say, the gravel model looks improved further still, and the way Jon was pitching the nose into the grass before snapping into a turn and leaning on soft banks on exits is something that was impossible in the first DR.

I can only say that the cars actually do feel planted in our handling prototype, which is what I like most about it. The rear end isn't floating around like a soap and you steer the car with the actual front wheels. 
That said, we haven't tried the Porsche and we haven't tried Spain. Our testing grounds have been flat roads without much camber.

I'm not going to lie though, the Porsche clip has made me slightly worried. 

Wouldn't one want to see how the car behaves on a different tyre compound before making a judgement? (speaking as a mostly non-expert)

bogani said:

I can only say that the cars actually do feel planted in our handling prototype, which is what I like most about it. The rear end isn't floating around like a soap and you steer the car with the actual front wheels. 
That said, we haven't tried the Porsche and we haven't tried Spain. Our testing grounds have been flat roads without much camber.

I'm not going to lie though, the Porsche clip has made me slightly worried. 
Codemasters state they are making a better version of dirt rally, but what I see all looks like dirt4. I suppose a better as dirt4 would be a better expression, but again, that is not what cm promise.

I can understand your guys view about the Porsche. This I think about it:
- The rally Porsche has a softer suspension than circuit Porsche. A softer suspension ussually makes the car more floaty. 
- Though it looks like the Porsche in DR2.0 has a to soft set-up, making it to floaty
- Looks like the steering lock and steering rotation are a bit aggresive (Christina already mentioned the steering wasn't to the liking of Jon), small inputs already showed very aggresive turning
- It looks like the Porsche has an suspension set-up of a 4WD car, but not adjusted it to a rear wheel drive, rear engined Porsche. 
- overall a 4wd rally car has a softer suspension than a rwd
- What I miss a bit, when the porsche cuts a corner and goes through grass and stones, I not hear almost sound in game hearing stones and stuff  through the wheelarches or the car bottoming out on the tarmac. 
- What I think, although you see tarmac, it seems the physics still drive on a loose surface, but in a strange way. Problem is there are a lot of variables and it is difficult to say without being able to test. My feeling says the tarmac grip is a bit to low, the tyre grip is a bit to high (maybe something with tyre pressures has to do as well), the suspension is to soft, the braking is a bit to strong, and the steering lock/rotation is to aggresive. 
- Though I see positives, I see similarities to how a Porsche reacts in RaceRoom and there is a bigger difference (in RX) on different surfaces.

Julo264 said:
For me the begging of the stage looks very similar to Paprotki, that was used in 2017. Until the exit of the first village I actually thought it's Paprotki
Actually, just the first corner is different. IRL it's left 1 on intersection, in DR 2.0 it's 6 right. All the rest until the junction before Baranowo village (the one Jon crashed at) is the same. On that junction IRL SS takes the route to the right, while in DR 2.0 it goes straight ahead and has about a minute of imaginary road (or part of another RL SS).

I will try uploading my video comparison in the evening. YouTube blocks is automatically because of usage of WRC footage.

Hard tyres,  they seemed to come good toward the middle of the stage.  The car looked much more stable through the twisties mid-stage.  Maybe they need to warm up for a few km’s?

There’s that, and the fact that Iv been winding Jon up for 2 months that he can’t put the rear out in a RWD, might have contributed to the driving style.  Sorry guys!! Lol

JorritVD said:
I can understand your guys view about the Porsche. This I think about it:
- The rally Porsche has a softer suspension than circuit Porsche. A softer suspension ussually makes the car more floaty. 
- Though it looks like the Porsche in DR2.0 has a to soft set-up, making it to floaty
- Looks like the steering lock and steering rotation are a bit aggresive (Christina already mentioned the steering wasn't to the liking of Jon), small inputs already showed very aggresive turning
- It looks like the Porsche has an suspension set-up of a 4WD car, but not adjusted it to a rear wheel drive, rear engined Porsche. 
- overall a 4wd rally car has a softer suspension than a rwd
- What I miss a bit, when the porsche cuts a corner and goes through grass and stones, I not hear almost sound in game hearing stones and stuff  through the wheelarches or the car bottoming out on the tarmac. 
- What I think, although you see tarmac, it seems the physics still drive on a loose surface, but in a strange way. Problem is there are a lot of variables and it is difficult to say without being able to test. My feeling says the tarmac grip is a bit to low, the tyre grip is a bit to high (maybe something with tyre pressures has to do as well), the suspension is to soft, the braking is a bit to strong, and the steering lock/rotation is to aggresive. 
- Though I see positives, I see similarities to how a Porsche reacts in RaceRoom and there is a bigger difference (in RX) on different surfaces.
Take a look at this:

https://youtu.be/DRW61GDIlAY

The Porsche should be very stable in terms of body roll.

Biggest issues I see in the DiRT Show Porsche footage are three things: 1) the car reacts way too quickly and harshly to steering inputs, 2) car indeed looks like it's "rotating" instead of turning with the front tires as mentioned above and 3) the transition from wheelspin to tires gripping is too quick; it magically finds the grip instantly when the wheels are straight instead of the driver having to end the wheelspin with throttle control.

The real onboard video I posted above is a great example of how much off the things I mentioned are in the current DR2.0 footage we have seen. It's almost like the game is running fast-forwarded and everything is way too snappy. Compare it to any junction you see in the real onboard. There's no flow to controlling the car like there should be, looks like Jon can't predict the car behavior at all and is just trying to react to all the car's unnaturally quick movements as best as he can.