DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

griev0r said:
So is it pretty much confirmed that there is only 2 longer stages per location, then cut up and reversed like Dirt Rally? 
Pretty much yes. Although we guessed this would be the case, it's disappointing to me that they could have confirmed that a long time ago and stopped us wondering (will feel the same if any of the car classes we had previously aren't included - I'm OK with the outcome but disappointed if it's not communicated).

On the flip side, at least the naming convention of stages seems a bit more honest ("long", "sprint", "reverse" etc) so kudos there.

If the absence of the 2000cc is due to WRC8 having their exclusivity, then it's a pretty lame tactic from them and GmbH.

Pretty much yes. Although we guessed this would be the case, it's disappointing to me that they could have confirmed that a long time ago and stopped us wondering
Damn, that is disappointing.  That was really my only gripe with Dirt Rally, in an 6+ stage rally you were driving the same stages over and over and over.  At least we have at least 2 DLC rally locations coming to help bring some more unique KM's to the game.

Probably will always be this way until they gut the game engine and start new with 64bit etc etc or until consoles (lowest common denominator) can handle it with current engine.

gfRally said:
Probably will always be this way until they gut the game engine and start new with 64bit etc etc or until consoles (lowest common denominator) can handle it with current engine.
I think that might apply to stage lengths, but pretty sure the number of unique kilometres is down to available resources (i.e. people) and the high quality threshold. Will keep being a problem as long as they keep starting from scratch each game. Well, hopefully DLC locations aren't too weighted towards RX...

gfRally said:
Change the record console basher!  :D

gfRally said:
The Ego engine was made for the PS3 and Xbox 360, so that shouldn't be a problem...

gfRally said:
They don't use 64 bit already?!? Source? Are you sure?
Seems to me the assets loaded for a long stage, including enviroment, car, people, other cars, etc.. would easily hit above 4 GB, don't they? I have games nowadays occasionally hitting above 11-12 Gigs of RAM usage (Cities: Skylines for example)

I think the issue is definitely the resources and time it takes to create the stages, not the engine (at least as it currently stands.) Like RodgerDavies just posted above, this is kinda to be expected when they throw everything out the window with each new title. :/

They don't exactly throw everything out of the window Everytime. This is the second Dirt Rally game, everything has had a significant upgrade so we could have the rallies from the previous game done up to standard with maybe one, or two if we're lucky, new locations. Or we can have 6 brand new locations with the possibility of some favorites coming back spruced up as DLC.

I know which one I'm gonna take every day.

All I know is that 12 unique stages are going to get stale really fast. When you're doing 6+ stages in a rally, you'll be driving over the same terrain over and over. I accept this as a limitation, I just hope they keep moving forward to give us significant content to consume over the life of the product.

ShodanCat said:
All I know is that 12 unique stages are going to get stale really fast. When you're doing 6+ stages in a rally, you'll be driving over the same terrain over and over. I accept this as a limitation, I just hope they keep moving forward to give us significant content to consume over the life of the product.
WRC 7 had even less unique stage km than DR 1. So as it stands, as a modern, unmodded game, DR2 will still become the one with the most unique stage km. Even if more would be nicer.

ShodanCat said:
150 hours in dirt rally 1 and I'm still not bored. 

OK , so what would be nice is an announcement from devs. ,that how much content ,stage lengths the game is capable of handling on consoles and pc.
BRC game years ago had all those stages ,agan back in the days.Leap forward 20 years , how much have we evolved as far as possibility of content.Just brainstorming .....................

SkyRex said:
ShodanCat said:
WRC 7 had even less unique stage km than DR 1. So as it stands, as a modern, unmodded game, DR2 will still become the one with the most unique stage km. Even if more would be nicer.
This is not true. After omitting the repeated parts of the Epic Stages that are not inverted, WRC 7 has a total of 348.55 unique km. The 12 stages of DR, when reversed, gives a total of 279.45 unique km. SLRE has 495.60 unique km.

gfRally said:
I think that might apply to stage lengths, but pretty sure the number of unique kilometres is down to available resources (i.e. people) and the high quality threshold. Will keep being a problem as long as they keep starting from scratch each game. Well, hopefully DLC locations aren't too weighted towards RX...
The EGO Engine (and possibly consoles, but I think mostly engine) has some limitations and that's why we can't have stages longer than ~16kms total. The total amount of stages per location isn't an engine limitation, it's a matter of time to craft every stage. The fact they always start from scratch with locations doesn't help

ShodanCat said:
Ok, so... good for you, I guess?

Yep it's extremely disappointing that extra km' s haven't been introduced. I only hope that CM take the DLC as a serious route, and don't ditch it after the first couple of seasons. I'd be happy playing this game for 2 or 3 years paying for new rallies and stages rather than get another limited title next time around. That said, I'm still very excited to get this game. 27 days to go

ShodanCat said:
ShodanCat said:
You used the term us indicating you think everyone is bored of it. I.e. going stale fast. I'm pointing out that not everyone shares your opinion. 

Noone's ever happy with anything, that's the reality. The game's not even out yet, chill the f out.
If you get bored, do something else. Simple.

ShodanCat said:
You used the term us indicating you think everyone is bored of it. I.e. going stale fast. I'm pointing out that not everyone shares your opinion. 
Right there with you. 350hrs+ and I can still happily run every stage of Wales consecutively with a grin on my face. If the game ever even gets close to feeling "stale", changing car class basically gives you a fresh 50 hours of gameplay.

Can I just point out that while we might not have more unique stages, we will inevitably end up with more locations thanks to the planned DLC 

ShodanCat said:
Right there with you. 350hrs+ and I can still happily run every stage of Wales consecutively with a grin on my face. If the game ever even gets close to feeling "stale", changing car class basically gives you a fresh 50 hours of gameplay.
Lost count of how many times I've driven Bidno Moorland. XD

I didn't say you can't have fun anymore, but you have to admit you've got most if not all of the major corners memorized. The entire point of rally is to go up against roads and terrain you're not familiar with.

Lynx2000 said:
JorritVD said:
New footage DR2.0 from DiePixelHelden   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewkOhNuM0Qo
The dash in the Fiesta is still the roadmode
It's the R2 Fiesta in that video, not the R5