DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Rallystu2 said:
Where did you see that there will be 6 new countries added as dlc?
3 new locations per season, but they're divided by rally and rallycross.
I was hoping he'd uncovered some new golden Intel. I mean Stephanie Prevot wouldn't be doing pace notes for rx.

Rallystu2 said:
Rallystu2 said:
Where did you see that there will be 6 new countries added as dlc?
3 new locations per season, but they're divided by rally and rallycross.
I was hoping he'd uncovered some new golden Intel. I mean Stephanie Prevot wouldn't be doing pace notes for rx.
He must be remembering the interview that Prevot gave to La Libre, posted a while back on this thread. I believe Codemasters have taken advantage of Prevot's availability to record any potential stages that they may prepare for DLC. However, remember that seasons 3 and onward will only happen if the investment is justified. I'm sure Prevot recorded just in case. Doesn't mean all the work he did will be used in the end. Game development has these things, sometimes assets are prepared, in anticipation, but not used.

Codemasters can already estimate the success of seasons 1 and 2 by the part of deluxe editions in the presales. And I guess the existence of seasons 3 and 4 will be decided pretty quickly, as finishing and polishing a stage sure takes more than 3 months.

toninus said:
Codemasters can already estimate the success of seasons 1 and 2 by the part of deluxe editions in the presales. And I guess the existence of seasons 3 and 4 will be decided pretty quickly, as finishing and polishing a stage sure takes more than 3 months.
Not everyone pre-orders. There are also those who buy DLC after launch,  those who want to see what the DLC is first, before they pick it up. They also may only want to own part of the DLC. For instance, the Deluxe Edition is 20 euros more expensive than the standard game. A season pass is typically 30 euros which means, if you want all the DLC, you save ten euros. But, if you just want one part of the DLC, you pay 55 for the base game, then 15 for the season you want and that's a 5 euro saving compared to going Deluxe. I don't think Codemasters are already thinking of more DLC support. Not yet. They may lay some ground work, but the rest will only be allowed to move forward if management see potential to extract more profit from this product.

toninus said:
edgenz said:
Even if they just add DR1 Wales and Monte I'll be stoked
Monte and Germany !
What we've seen of Australia kinda reminds me Wales : dark forests, bumpy roads and dangerous road sides...
On the other hand, New England seems to be the easiest location to me : relatively slow and tolerant road sides. Spain looks sadly monotonous and boring, Argentina is slow and technical, and NZ looks also interesting with a lot of curves and not so clean surfaces.

So we miss some fun asphalt, dry gravel (Greece or Cymrus, or Italy, or Mexico...), and some snow.

If were just talking bringing back DR1 locations, imo:

Poland replaces Finland.
Spain replaces Germany.
Argentina replaces Greece.
Nothing replaces Monte or Sweden and I'd prefer Monte (doubles as fun asphalt and snow).
To me Wales isn't matched in DR2.0. Australia has some similarities but theres no grey gravel on offer which is the key environmental factor missing in DR2.0 for me, other than snow. And it's just a more iconic rally imo.

Will be interesting to see if they just bring us new locations. Would love Manx.

edgenz said:
toninus said:
edgenz said:
Monte and Germany !
What we've seen of Australia kinda reminds me Wales : dark forests, bumpy roads and dangerous road sides...
On the other hand, New England seems to be the easiest location to me : relatively slow and tolerant road sides. Spain looks sadly monotonous and boring, Argentina is slow and technical, and NZ looks also interesting with a lot of curves and not so clean surfaces.

So we miss some fun asphalt, dry gravel (Greece or Cymrus, or Italy, or Mexico...), and some snow.

Poland replaces Finland.
Spain replaces Germany.
Nothing replaces Monte or Sweden and I'd prefer Monte (doubles as fun asphalt and snow).
To me Wales isn't matched in DR2.0. Australia has some similarities but theres no grey gravel on offer which is the key environmental factor missing in DR2.0 for me, other than snow. And it's just a more iconic rally imo.

Will be interesting to see if they just bring us new locations. Would love Manx.
Spain doesn't replace Germany. Different types of tarmac. Spain is smooth, well maintained roads. Germany is concrete and rough asphalt through a military base and surrounding forests. Different feel in terms of flow too.

edgenz said:
toninus said:
edgenz said:
Monte and Germany !

Poland replaces Finland.
Spain replaces Germany.

Spain doesn't replace Germany. Different types of tarmac. Spain is smooth, well maintained roads. Germany is concrete and rough asphalt through a military base and surrounding forests. Different feel in terms of flow too.
I guess if you're an asphalt fan then it might not. It's all about gravel for me personally - so it's a direct replacement.

edgenz said:
edgenz said:
toninus said:
edgenz said:
Monte and Germany !

Poland replaces Finland.
Spain replaces Germany.

I guess if you're an asphalt fan then it might not. It's all about gravel for me personally - so it's a direct replacement.
I like gravel too and I'm fine with mostly gravel rallies, since championships tend to focus more on that surface. But there's too much loose surface right now. We need on snow and, at least, another pure tarmac event. Tarmac has it's own unique setup for cars and it's own unique challenges.

elrojodp8 said:
I'm sorry guys, I'm the only one outraged because Argentina has only 16 km in total?
“Outraged” - probably 

I’m a little disappointed, also because the chosen stage may be iconic but it isn’t representative of the general rally stages in Argentina (which can’t be said for the other new locations IMO). I felt a bit the same with Panzerplatte in DR1; iconic and fun but not hugely representative of classic tarmac rally stages.

But “outraged” is a step of far.

edgenz said:
edgenz said:
toninus said:
edgenz said:
Monte and Germany !

Poland replaces Finland.
Spain replaces Germany.

Two posts before that, you said you'd want to see the Manx - I'm not having a go, I'm just curious as to what it is about that one tarmac event which overcomes your "all about gravel". philosophy? I grew up when the Manx was on the wain so to me North Wales, Kielder and Northern Ireland are the UK's iconic rally locations.

Just curious: Doesnt the R5 class all drive the same ? 4wd turbo compact hatches? I was wondering if i should be excited as a lot of us are for them coming to the game ,VS for example more older cars with characters that are distinct? It seems like most of them are on "rails" ? 

Fair point, but it depends how you look at it. To me, they're closely matched but each has its own characteristics and feel (if done properly). A good comparison could be GT3 cars, which all achieve similar times in different ways. If you saw onboard from Monte Carlo this morning, a Skoda was following a Hyundai, the Skoda was quicker in bends and could take more aggressive cuts but the Hyundai was quicker in a straight line.

Typically, the longer wheelbase of the Fabia and Polo make it more stable whilst the Peugeot is more twitchy and unpredictable. The Hyundai is fast and the Ford is a nice baseline average.

Personally, I hope the Hyundai is still coming in a DLC but it doesn't stop me wanting the other rally DLC spots going to iconic cars. My personal hope is for a late 70s 911 for H2 RWD or early 80s 911 SC for H3 RWD (although Codemasters appear to have rather ****ed up that class IMO) but the Group B one will be fun too.

The DS is another style again but we'll see what's confirmed for the game at launch before I begin my DLC wishlist...

toninus is true DR 2.0 need more season  , i prefer more season and wait DR 3.0 after 2 years  than  wait next year dirt 5 .

but if codemasters create dirt 5 i think he should   add the DR  gameplay  with all category  car  and  all  old track ( with rallycross ( no joker lap  maybe he change in supercross name and rally cross for real tracks RX  with joker lap in the futur game ) in london , usa , shibuya  , monte-carlo......) ,  rally(norway , kenya  , malaysia ,....) , baja raid race( morroco, croatia.. )   , trophy truck , hill climb( trailblazer  race ), gymkhana( dirt 3)  race   from all dirt . you have fun and DR gameplay because for me DR is more serious .

and maybe add the real rally start  for solo and online mode( and abillity  to overtake the car in front of you ) and x-games come back too for solo mode . 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afkRS20xa48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEw2rzc4wPA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz8VwbP4rR0

More gameplay                                                           
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhXhTzmKKQg

More gameplay                                                           
Love the gravel spray sound in this  <3

Just curious: Doesnt the R5 class all drive the same ? 4wd turbo compact hatches? I was wondering if i should be excited as a lot of us are for them coming to the game ,VS for example more older cars with characters that are distinct? It seems like most of them are on "rails" ? 

Fair point, but it depends how you look at it. To me, they're closely matched but each has its own characteristics and feel (if done properly). A good comparison could be GT3 cars, which all achieve similar times in different ways. If you saw onboard from Monte Carlo this morning, a Skoda was following a Hyundai, the Skoda was quicker in bends and could take more aggressive cuts but the Hyundai was quicker in a straight line.

Typically, the longer wheelbase of the Fabia and Polo make it more stable whilst the Peugeot is more twitchy and unpredictable. The Hyundai is fast and the Ford is a nice baseline average.
Yeah, I agree (and great comparison with GT3). The differences may be more subtle, but they are there. 

elrojodp8 said:
I'm sorry guys, I'm the only one outraged because Argentina has only 16 km in total?
“Outraged” - probably 

I’m a little disappointed, also because the chosen stage may be iconic but it isn’t representative of the general rally stages in Argentina (which can’t be said for the other new locations IMO). I felt a bit the same with Panzerplatte in DR1; iconic and fun but not hugely representative of classic tarmac rally stages.

I was expecting to see that stage with the famous water splash to pair with El Condor tbh.
gk9147 said:
toninus is true DR 2.0 need more season  , i prefer more season and wait DR 3.0 after 2 years  than  wait next year dirt 5 .

but if codemasters create dirt 5 i think he should   add the DR  gameplay  with all category  car  and  all  old track ( with rallycross ( no joker lap  maybe he change in supercross name and rally cross for real tracks RX  with joker lap in the futur game ) in london , usa , shibuya  , monte-carlo......) ,  rally(norway , kenya  , malaysia ,....) , baja raid race( morroco, croatia.. )   , trophy truck , hill climb( trailblazer  race ), gymkhana( dirt 3)  race   from all dirt . you have fun and DR gameplay because for me DR is more serious .

and maybe add the real rally start  for solo and online mode( and abillity  to overtake the car in front of you ) and x-games come back too for solo mode . 

To be honest there's no place for any DiRT iteration rather than a DiRT Rally sequel. I'd rather take the DLC expansion path for a while to solidify the game, and only see a 3.0 when it justifies (example: significantly better engine, allowing for bigger stages, new generation graphics, significantly more accurate physics and a bigger batch of cars and rallies at launch). The investment needs to compensate, plus it's wiser to solidify a community around a good game first, rather than rush another incomplete title.

DiRT Rally has been surviving quite well, despite support has been dropped years ago. With DiRT Rally 2.0 having a bigger support timespan, and official eSports, it can live for longer until a 3.0 is justified. Dumping money on a DiRT 5 at this time is just a shot in the foot.
Once people get used to the simulation physics, the market for arcade disappears, and that's what happened to DiRT4. Even the casuals and the new generation of kids began prefering DiRT Rally over 4.
Simulation is the present and the future, as technology and knowledge has moved so much forward it's actually possible to have a proper simulator, not to mention the hardware available (wheel sets and all kinds of gimmicks) which we didn't have 20 years ago.

Combine everything, and simulation just turns the whole experience a lot more immersive than a bland arcade game. Arcades can stay in the living room.

Ross has said in one of their last interviews that the VR fans have been heard, despite not making it at launch. So just wait for it.

Loving all the footage so far. Journalists are all crashing... the "Dark Souls of racing games" is back.

More gameplay                                                           
By the way, not sure if anyone noticed, but there's another hint on this video right at the begining on car selection. If you look at the right it says Drivers 1/8 Session: Offline. Possible Hot Seat mode confirmed?

AIPacino said:
More gameplay                                                           
By the way, not sure if anyone noticed, but there's another hint on this video right at the begining on car selection. If you look at the right it says Drivers 1/8 Session: Offline. Possible Hot Seat mode confirmed?
That’s a liberal use of “confirmed” - I was also wondering what that referred to though, but guessed it’s the same screen regardless.

AIPacino  ok for the first part but the second not because you said arcade games ?  but X-games exist no ? and is possible to add  real physics for not real race tracks  no ?  look asseto corsa mod  personnally "if " codemasters add dirt rally 2.0 physics  in  new dirt 5 ( with the improve  generate rally race )  is good for me . the probleme with dirt 4 is codemasters  not add  fun real  discipline  look dirt 1 and 2 you have baja raid race  you have traiblazer for hill climb the car is similar to suzuki escudo , in dirt 3 you  have  gymkhana  but dirt 4 what is really new  in this game except crosskart ( and crosskart is not fun )  ? but" if "codemasters create the dirt 5 , arcade mode for player in " living  room" and simulation mode DR or ( DR 2.0 if codemaster have time for prepared the physics for this game ), clearly is not problem for me  because  in rally cross you have same race , and dirt 5 ( i prefer new  another DR  too ) come ,it can create a breath of fresh air personally i buy V-rally 4 for that but after update the game has a lot of bug ( co-driver error ,th8a not work.... ) after i stop this game. personally luckily there was the race mode generate in dirt 4  , and for me dirt 4 is different than other dirt is not same( the game is cold , it does not want to play there is not really atmosphere, they want to put serious on fun )

AIPacino said:
elrojodp8 said:
“Outraged” - probably 

I was expecting to see that stage with the famous water splash to pair with El Condor tbh.
gk9147 said:

To be honest there's no place for any DiRT iteration rather than a DiRT Rally sequel. I'd rather take the DLC expansion path for a while to solidify the game, and only see a 3.0 when it justifies (example: significantly better engine, allowing for bigger stages, new generation graphics, significantly more accurate physics and a bigger batch of cars and rallies at launch). The investment needs to compensate, plus it's wiser to solidify a community around a good game first, rather than rush another incomplete title.

DiRT Rally has been surviving quite well, despite support has been dropped years ago. With DiRT Rally 2.0 having a bigger support timespan, and official eSports, it can live for longer until a 3.0 is justified. Dumping money on a DiRT 5 at this time is just a shot in the foot.
Once people get used to the simulation physics, the market for arcade disappears, and that's what happened to DiRT4. Even the casuals and the new generation of kids began prefering DiRT Rally over 4.
Simulation is the present and the future, as technology and knowledge has moved so much forward it's actually possible to have a proper simulator, not to mention the hardware available (wheel sets and all kinds of gimmicks) which we didn't have 20 years ago.

Combine everything, and simulation just turns the whole experience a lot more immersive than a bland arcade game. Arcades can stay in the living room.
I'm all for DLCs too.
But I would love if Codies could sell them only trough an unique season pass (giving access to all seasons) rather than selling them individually.
Mainly to avoid multiplayer incompatibilities.

Ispeaking of this, I hope we'll soon have infos about daily / weekly challenges and custom leagues. It was great in DR1.0, hope it will be at least the same, maybe with a better way to gather results (how about a direct export to Google docs or something ?)

I see your point and I agree with it, but right now the Deluxe Edition is like the season pass. It gives you access to all the confirmed DLCs for a total extra of 20€ above the base game. That makes it 10€ for 3 locations and 5 cars, which is a great value for money. They can later have a season pass if they confirm 2 or 3 extra DLCs.