DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

I'd love a brc license. That championship is dying again after a brief promise of resurgence. The calendar is increasingly weak year on year.

Rallystu2 said:
I still don't fully understand how the wrc can license a privately owned road. The stage names maybe, but the road?
These things are usually a fairly grey area. Basically, can Codemasters be interpreted as trying to recreate the WRC 'brand' (intellectual property) without paying for it. A works VW Polo WRC (which only really ran in WRC, built to a ruleset owned by WRC) in official livery (which was only used in WRC) on a 1-to-1 named recreation of Ouninpohja (a stage only used in WRC) could be argued as such, much more than an R5 (FIA category car used in local championships around the world) in a livery which ran in BRC running on a stage based on a famous Finnish rallying stage but not named after it.

Hence games like The Crew can use WRC cars without much consequence, because they're never going to be interpreted as recreating the WRC, whereas DiRT Rally can be (arguably moreso than the licenced WRC games!). 

As I say, that's my best guess - it's not really black or white, but many shades of grey that lawyers can interpret. Each small step makes the grey area you're in a slightly paler shade. 

I suspect it's a similar issue with 2000s cars; they could be interpreted as being homologated by a WRC ruleset and thus incorporate WRC intellectual property, or they could be interpreted as being representative of cars used in B14 or A8 rally categories in regional rallies around the world. 
Great post @RodgerDavies. I have zero knowledge on the legal aspect, but my interpretation of the situation is the same as yours. 

And therefore WRC's has been named always 2.0, Rally, 2000cc or with a yearnumber, etc in non WRC games.

And calling them WRC cars in this forum is maybe not a good idea also, because if lawyers or people from WRC games watch this forum, they know even DiRT fans see the WRC cars without WRC name as WRC cars. If we can name the WRC cars without WRC in this forum, maybe it will be for CM easier to license this type of cars. 

So I suggest from this time on we never mention WRC again in this forum and call them with the technical number, like Impreza S12b, or Impreza 2007. 

JorritVD said:
And therefore WRC's has been named always 2.0, Rally, 2000cc or with a yearnumber, etc in non WRC games.

And calling them WRC cars in this forum is maybe not a good idea also, because if lawyers or people from WRC games watch this forum, they know even DiRT fans see the WRC cars without WRC name as WRC cars. If we can name the WRC cars without WRC in this forum, maybe it will be for CM easier to license this type of cars. 

So I suggest from this time on we never mention WRC again in this forum and call them with the technical number, like Impreza S12b, or Impreza 2007. 
Heck, call it a 22B and licence the road car...

I suggest Double U* Arsey

*"U" standing for 'ugly' of course.

JorritVD said:

Heck, call it a 22B and licence the road car...
Trying. To. Agree. Can't. Process. Instruction. 

hehe you guys can mock that 307CC as much as you want but I would be pretty stocked if that one made it to the game  B)

Rallystu2 said:
I still don't fully understand how the wrc can license a privately owned road. The stage names maybe, but the road?
These things are usually a fairly grey area. Basically, can Codemasters be interpreted as trying to recreate the WRC 'brand' (intellectual property) without paying for it. A works VW Polo WRC (which only really ran in WRC, built to a ruleset owned by WRC) in official livery (which was only used in WRC) on a 1-to-1 named recreation of Ouninpohja (a stage only used in WRC) could be argued as such, much more than an R5 (FIA category car used in local championships around the world) in a livery which ran in BRC running on a stage based on a famous Finnish rallying stage but not named after it.

Hi guys, I'm a new to this forum. I live in Jämsä, Finland, so Ouninpohja is really close to my heart. In fact, my grandmother lives in Hassi region, so whenever I'm visiting her, I can choose to drive via Ouninpohja, if i like. 

But, in fact Ouninpohja has been a part of local rallies as well, not just the WRC. In fact, on 2018 Ouninpohja was only on local JMK Ralli, and no WRC stage at all. 

https://youtu.be/1r7mJYDkX-s

https://youtu.be/ho4OdyiK-8g

So has the DiRT Rally 2.0 media tour finished now or are there more stops to come? Just wondering if we are likely to see more fresh footage from the media build this week. 

@VilleAce Nice one, thanks for the vids - I didn't know that.

Obviously, other factors contribute, like the in-game version being set in......... well, setting it in autumn is a step to a lighter shade but having it as gravel instead of snow moves it closer to WRC or Rally Finland (who probably give image rights to WRC as per their contract).

And welcome aboard!

tbtstt said:
So has the DiRT Rally 2.0 media tour finished now or are there more stops to come? Just wondering if we are likely to see more fresh footage from the media build this week. 
There's a few written previews popping up, however, they're written by people who know nothing of rallying. Am I the only one who gets frustrated at the use of 'tracks' instead of 'stages'. I know I'm a rallying snob, but some of these previews get my goat over the things they don't understand or convey correctly. 
Its not their fault at all. I'm just a rally snob.

imagine, 2 finland version in DR 2.0 ,  summer same DR 1 version  and winter  version   .

gk9147 said:
imagine, 2 finland version in DR 2.0 ,  summer same DR 1 version  and winter  version   .
I'd rather have different stages for snow. I think using the same stages would be unnecessary. Until they create proper dynamic weather and seasons they should create bespoke snow rally, and bespoke gravel rally.

Some Monte-aftercare

https://drivetribe.com/p/5-videos-that-prove-the-monte-is-PmtPKnhaR5aBKGjd0x0Lgg?iid=VYSXqYy8SGCM9G4aOWuoqA&utm_campaign=main&utm_medium=fb&utm_source=organic

P308R said:
Some Monte-aftercare

https://drivetribe.com/p/5-videos-that-prove-the-monte-is-PmtPKnhaR5aBKGjd0x0Lgg?iid=VYSXqYy8SGCM9G4aOWuoqA&utm_campaign=main&utm_medium=fb&utm_source=organic
Urrgghh, Drivetribe! 

Is this new footage?                        
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ppZBxbmWeM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV0cVR5HUok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZyn800MIXk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxNatiIiVTk

Has anyone read the sticky about the forum transition yet? The blurb at the top of the page says:

"We are about to transition to a new forums service, meaning access to this version of the site will be read-only from 1st February 2019. Full service is scheduled to be restored by 20:00 GMT, 9th February 2019 at the same URL."

I read that as saying that the forum will be read only between 1st February and 9th February? That's eight days without random gossip and cryptic hints from @urgaffel!

tbtstt said:
Has anyone read the sticky about the forum transition yet? The blurb at the top of the page says:

"We are about to transition to a new forums service, meaning access to this version of the site will be read-only from 1st February 2019. Full service is scheduled to be restored by 20:00 GMT, 9th February 2019 at the same URL."

I read that as saying that the forum will be read only between 1st February and 9th February? That's eight days without random gossip and cryptic hints from @urgaffel!
Yup. Perhaps we need a gossipy discord group for the short-term...

After all, we'll have a car list and the first season of DLC content to discuss by then, right? :P

tbtstt said:

Yes.

Approximately 2 minutes before the forum shutdown they will announce that Gymkhana will be the main feature of Dirt Rally 2.0 and the narrator will be our boi Ken Block!

B) 

After all, we'll have a car list and the first season of DLC content to discuss by then, right? :P
Hopefully !

@JorritVD no, it's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdBAc29N97c&t=206s broken up into 4 parts

Those Argentina stages look TOIGHT, that will be quite a difficult one to go damage free unless you drive like James May.

I think it would be nice to have season 1 before the forum temporarily close usual business. @ChristinaMc is that info still on schedule for the end of this month?

A gossip Discord server would be cool, I wouldn't even know how to set one up though
I absolutely dispise Discord! Most unfriendly and violent gaming platform I've ever been on. Tried multiple times but I find it disgusting and bloody damn aweful.