DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Gossip material :O Did anyone else notice that the rallycross pack moved from July to August? :O
I think we get in AUgust one big rallycross pack and Player VS Player ;-)
Good spot, seems to be the case. 

Gossip material :O Did anyone else notice that the rallycross pack moved from July to August? :O

Whoa! That's a very good spot (was it the very first thing @justbiglee did when he got back to the office ? :P ) 

I guess it just won't be ready in time. Hopefully, a quick post/tweet will explain why.

With regards to the real life racing event the noise from 6 Supercars ready for launch is unbeliveably terrifying! The TV does not do it justice I think.
It's like six super scary beasts with slightly different sounds spit out fire and VERY load bangs (more like gun fire!).
There are few, if any, spectacles in motorsport that compare to the sight and sound of six rallycross supercars on the startline (in my opinion anyway). I am yet to see a video that captures the aggression of a supercar off the line.

Sounds like an incredible weekend @GentleNameMVB , glad to read it was worth the journey. Of all the World Rallycross events to visit, I think you picked the best one, especially with DiRT presence!

Whoa! That's a very good spot (was it the very first thing @justbiglee did when he got back to the office ? :P ) 

I guess it just won't be ready in time. Hopefully, a quick post/tweet will explain why.
I guess the feedback from the drivers meant some extra tweaking. A good thing :)

bogani said:

I guess the feedback from the drivers meant some extra tweaking. A good thing :)

The extra time will definitely help the team address the comments from the drivers. The thing is, and I hope @KickUp won't kill me for talking about this, the RX cars have a new feature of the car handling model.

Due to this extra layer of car handling simulation the cars are set-up slightly differently and the team is learning how best to set the cars up to get the grip values and characteristics as close to the real thing as possible.

We've heard from the DiRTy dev team before then as the Early Access progresses various elements of simulation will be added and adjusted. An example we've already seen is the simulation of downforce on Pikes Peak cars with big wings. Paul said at the time the lessons learned from PP will be rolled out to rally cars.

However, the team is holding back with adjusting all cars each time they add a layer of simulation, as that would simply take too long. So, as I understand it, towards the end of EA the cars will be re-visited for the final polish and tweak of their handling.

So with this new layer of simulation added with the RX cars the story is likely to be the same.

Anyways, if you see me banned from the forums in the near future you'll know that I wasn't supposed talk about the above :P

No July release?  Good for me since I'll be on vacation till August 2nd!  :open_mouth: 

One thing I am kind of hoping for is a lot more gravel and dust thrown about, these are 600+ hp cars compared to the 300 hp Rally cars we have now.  Besides smaller area to model and render I would guess allow for this type of detail, but I won't mind if it carries over to other parts of the game, we have all seen the video/pix of corners with big rooster tails of gravel etc thrown off.  

Im a visual person so this all helps IMHO bringing it to a complete Simulation.  

bogani said:

The extra time will definitely help the team address the comments from the divers. The thing is, and I hope @KickUp won't kill me for this, the RX cars have a new feature of the car handling model.

Due to this extra layer of car handling simulation the cars are set-up slightly differently and the team is learning how best to set the cars up.

We've heard from the DiRTy dev team before then as the Early Access progresses various elements of simulation will be added and adjusted. An example we've already seen is the simulation of downforce on Pikes Peak cars with big wings. Paul said at the time the lessons learned from PP will be rolled out to rally cars.

However, the team is holding back with adjusting all cars each time they add a layer of simulation, as that would simply take too long. So, as I understand it, towards the end of EA the cars will be re-visited for the final polish and tweak of their handling.

So with this new layer of simulation added with the RX cars the story is likely to be the same.

Anyways, if you see me banned from the forums in the near future you'll know that I wasn't supposed talk about the above :P

This is the type of info that would be good to come out in an official blog. I for one get many answers when asking nicely on twitter, but if much of that info came out officially many threads asking the same question/pointing out problems wouldn't be created. The excessive deceleration off throttle is one example. I asked about it, they know about this problem and it will be fixed.

gfRally said:
No July release?  Good for me since I'll be on vacation till August 2nd!  :open_mouth: 

One thing I am kind of hoping for is a lot more gravel and dust thrown about, these are 600+ hp cars compared to the 300 hp Rally cars we have now.  Besides smaller area to model and render I would guess allow for this type of detail, but I won't mind if it carries over to other parts of the game, we have all seen the video/pix of corners with big rooster tails of gravel etc thrown off.  

Im a visual person so this all helps IMHO bringing it to a complete Simulation.  
there was something in the preview video which said 600 bhp. so should be the case.

bogani said:
This is the type of info that would be good to come out in an official blog. I for one get many answers when asking nicely on twitter, but if much of that info came out officially many threads asking the same question/pointing out problems wouldn't be created. The excessive deceleration off throttle is one example. I asked about it, they know about this problem and it will be fixed.
I'm sure that will be mentioned in more detail in the DiRTy Show marking the release of the RX pack.

With regards to kicking up the dust there isn't there wasn't that much of it getting thrown about at Holjes.

The gravel sections get wetted a number of times during the day of racing, as otherwise on such hot and dry days like this weekend the dust would really obscure what people could see.

Also, from what I've seen the gravel in gravel sections is quite shallow - only the sand/gravel pits are quite deep.

Most of the RX tracks are primarily tarmac and even if there's quite a bit of gravel it rarely remains in bends for long :)

Having said that when I tried the RX update with AI drivers they were kicking up dust on the downhill section, just before the jump - a little bit too much especially when one doesn't know the track that well...

What was cool to see was the aggression level of the AI drivers and how they drove the cars. They were going sideways, the car was moving and they were not taking prisoners. I know that Paul wants the AI tweaked and slowed down, but I think some of that aggression and the manner in which the AI throw the cars about would be welcome.

bogani said:
I'm sure that will be mentioned in more detail in the DiRTy Show marking the release of the RX pack.

With regards to kicking up the dust there isn't there wasn't that much of it getting thrown about at Holjes.

The gravel sections get wetted a number of times during the day of racing, as otherwise on such hot and dry days like this weekend the dust would really obscure what people could see.

Also, from what I've seen the gravel in gravel sections is quite shallow - only the sand/gravel pits are quite deep.

Most of the RX tracks are primarily tarmac and even if there's quite a bit of gravel it rarely remains in bends for long :)

Having said that when I tried the RX update with AI drivers they were kicking up dust on the downhill section, just before the jump - a little bit too much especially when one doesn't know the track that well...

What was cool to see was the aggression level of the AI drivers and how they drove the cars. They were going sideways, the car was moving and they were not taking prisoners. I know that Paul wants the AI tweaked and slowed down, but I think some of that aggression and the manner in which the AI throw the cars about would be welcome.
Ok I understand that, keep comparing FIA RX to GRC which I like the competition and cars, but the organization and races are a joke!  They end up with quite a bit of dust here (no wonder why there are low attendance)

I do like some of the thick dust as I think it's part of the appeal of rally, that conditions very and aren't always fair.  

Anyhow ow thanks for the report and info.

bogani said:

Would be nice if the AI is unique to each driver. Some really aggresive and others more calm. Timmy Hansen should dive bomb on the inside now and then ;)

Thanks for all the info @GentleNameMVB interesting reading about the new physics layer added for the RX cars. Look forwards to getting that update in August. As others have said, I wonder if that means we'll now get all 3 RX tracks at the same time?

Don't suppose you can tell us anything about planned cars for the RX pack is there?

Thanks for all the info @GentleNameMVB interesting reading about the new physics layer added for the RX cars. Look forwards to getting that update in August. As others have said, I wonder if that means we'll now get all 3 RX tracks at the same time?

Don't suppose you can tell us anything about planned cars for the RX pack is there?
No he can't :P

I really don't know whether two RX updates will be grouped into one - that subject never came up, which is surprising because I was properly annoying with all my questions :)

My suspicion (and this is really me Gossiping) is that it will still be two updates, the first one just won't come out before the end of this month. If it all ends up rolling into one big updatet it just means that more work was needed to modify the car handling and modify appearance of one of the cars.

When it comes to the cars I think I can only say that I've seen the cars, which were in the trailer so Olsbergs and Team Austria Ford Fiestas will be in. I can't share a clip I recorded as it shows a car, which is not signed off.

I think it will be a good line-up of cars and the team will try hard to make them handle slightly differently to each other by using information on how the cars are configured in real life and by setting them up to match what we see on TV/think of what they should be like to drive.

I haven't played enough myself to judge it all e.g. collisions, intricate track details or format of the career. All that was available to play to public was a 3-lap race at Holjes with really tough AI :)

Hopefully, later this week the FIA World RX will put up a video. Was there any mention of the game on the livestream?

KickUp said:

No he can't :P
Well maybe you can.

gfRally said:

these are 600+ hp cars compared to the 300 hp Rally cars we have now.
To be fair, we do have 480 hp rally cars now. Which are too fast already though :anguished: 

gfRally said:

To be fair, we do have 480 hp rally cars now. Which are too fast already though :anguished: 
Good job we won't be taking them on the rally stages then!

gfRally said:

Good job we won't be taking them on the rally stages then!
No reason at all to restrict any of the cars to any of the stages/disciplines. :/
Codies know we don't just want rally cars on hill climbs, but hill climb cars on rally stages as well.
The Hill Climb cars are so, so much nicer to drive on gravel. They'll be fine around Wales and Greece.

gfRally said:

Oops forgot about Group B!  Keep thinking modern.  What the hey... Then just add a lot more gravel spray to the wales and Greek events :wink: 

BrySkye said:

No reason at all to restrict any of the cars to any of the stages/disciplines. :/
Codies know we don't just want rally cars on hill climbs, but hill climb cars on rally stages as well.
The Hill Climb cars are so, so much nicer to drive on gravel. They'll be fine around Wales and Greece.
WRX license might restrict the usage of those cars (like DTM in R3E), we'll have to wait and see.

Well, I'm not sure I want the RX cars available on the special stages. But at the same time I want to play with the RWD cars on the RX circuits. lol

:O The maps of the WRC Rally: ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2015 are revealed.

http://www.adac-rallye-deutschland.de/uk/karten/static/

Wondering how accurate the Panzerplatte stage is compare to DiRT Rally,

But first WRC round of Finalnd! Will we se Codemasters over there to? With the making of Flying Finland in progress? gossipssss :P

But first WRC round of Finalnd! Will we se Codemasters over there to? With the making of Flying Finland in progress? gossipssss :P

I watched some full onboards from last years event and there are sections where I def know where I am and what's coming :)

Yes, and it is near Baumholder too... Thanks Codies for
this accuracy...

who said that is so WIDE?
and much ARCADE?

:D