DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Jepsertti said:
bogani said:
I notice more dev activity on the forum. Me like :)
Now they're less drunk than last weekend so they can be active here :p
you say that... I still feel drunk

BrySkye said:
gfRally said:
pupazzo said:
It looks good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvU4Lji8IBg
Meh, really can't knock them for trying.   I'd be nice to have the full gravel version in DR.  If they are using that Suzuki for their unveiling, no citron?  Can't compete with #THATCAR though, nope never.  

Really SLRE will probably drive like mariocart, graphics aren't that speaking anymore either.  
Citroen? Have they ever even been to Pikes Peak?
Remember it was a Peugeot that Loeb used to set the break the record in 2013. The Peugeot 208 T16 Pikes Peak, and the 405 for that matter, are already confirmed for it. That was back in April along with the Escudo.

Using the Escudo is a bit of shrewd marketing to attract the larger market of gamers/Gran Turismo fans.
Gran Turismo 2 made that car a legend. It basically broke both Gran Turismo 2 and 3 by being miles better than anything else and has been a series staple ever since.

To be honest, the model looks ok. The Escudo is a bit weird in that the body work really does just look like a cheap plastic shell.

What's really of note is that the Pikes Peak pack is a pre-order bonus. That's a big chunk of content to dangle like that. 

Personally, I hope this pushes Codies to seriously consider a pre-2000's 100% dirt version of Pikes Peak, finally covering all the main bases. 
Oops pardon my French, wrong manufacture, both failures in the US sadly.

KickUp said:
All I will say is that you won't have to preorder SLRE to get a full gravel Pikes Peak.  ;)
Well there you go folks, there's some juicy gossip right there, posted by a dev directly in this thread. What more could you want, other than knowing when this will happen?

KickUp said:
All I will say is that you won't have to preorder SLRE to get a full gravel Pikes Peak.  ;)
Well there you go folks, there's some juicy gossip right there, posted by a dev directly in this thread. What more could you want, other than knowing when this will happen?
and its available now!

A full gravel version in DR would be nice. :D
That Suzuki Escudo though could get in it too...

TPJP said:
What do you want?!!! The moon on a stick?!!!

KickUp said:
TPJP said:
Don't necessarily need the stick :) 

KickUp said:
TPJP said:
Nah, just the car :D
Srly though the ones we already have are still great :)

TPJP said:
KickUp said:
TPJP said:
Nah, just the car :D
Srly though the ones we already have are still great :)
But we want MORE, MOOOORRRREEE!!

gfRally said:

I'd suggest neither Peugeot attempt at Pike's Peak was intended to sell cars in the US, they were well aware of the legend that it has in Europe too. They've done an amazing job (in conjunction with Red Bull) to make the 208 T16 PP an instant legend, superb marketing job.

Whoever said Gran Turismo made the Escudo a legend is spot on; giving GT that license has paid off many times for Suzuki! And clever using it in their ads now.

KickUp said:
TPJP said:
Please tell me that's a Lee & Herring reference!?

Good man ;) Milestone don't make enough of those for my liking either...
Heh! I've hung out with some Milestone MotoGP devs while out in Sao Paolo last year and they didn't make a single one!

KickUp said:
TPJP said:
Well... it was in the original DiRT... ;)

gfRally said:

I'd suggest neither Peugeot attempt at Pike's Peak was intended to sell cars in the US, they were well aware of the legend that it has in Europe too. They've done an amazing job (in conjunction with Red Bull) to make the 208 T16 PP an instant legend, superb marketing job.

Just so I don't seem like a complete idiot, and maybe I am reading your post wrong.  Both Peugeot and Citroen tried to sell their cars here in 70s and 80s, they were not very successful here for whatever reason, thats all I meant.  

I didn't mean anything about Peugeot using Pikes Peak for US marketing, no use anymore.  However it was good marketing for Pikes Peak having Sebastian Leob there.

Seriously. We should give the Argoriou guy credit. This will be a running joke for a long time. Always crack me up ;)

gfRally said:

The early attempts with the 205 and then the 405 were definitely to try and promote their cars in the US and increase market share. That's why Audi were there as well. That's why they both stayed for a good few years and then left when it wasn't working.

But the return in 2013 was a more general bit of marketing/promotion, saying as international coverage of the event is on a completely different scale to what it was in the 80's.
Still amazing when you consider the 208 T16 PP was bodged together.
"What have we got lying around? Oh, an old 908 rear wing? Well we're not racing those any more, that'll do."

bogani said:
Seriously. We should give the Argoriou guy credit. This will be a running joke for a long time. Always crack me up ;)
Yeah I agree with that, Popcorn Player is one of the best terms i've heard in a while.