DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Whoa this escalated quickly! :D How did you guys manage go from talking about RX to talking about bacon and popcorn? :open_mouth:

The RX licence news piece was picked by many websites - it's really good for this to get some exposure. Having played and seen the enthusiasm for it over in Holjes I really think it will add lots of excitement to the game.

Does anybody know what the general view is on the launch of the new F1 game? I hope it hasn't demolished the good work on CM reputation that DiRT Rally has done.

I'm thinking of getting it on PC soon - long long time ago I used to spend countless hours racing online in the F1 games.

I think Germany needs a random tractor option introduced: 

https://youtu.be/c31qcSJsHLM

Good brakes on the i20! 

It's a pretty good shot of showing just how fast these can come to a stop! And brilliant reactions from Thierry, hope he gets some good luck soon

tbtstt said:
I think Germany needs a random tractor option introduced: 

https://youtu.be/c31qcSJsHLM

Good brakes on the i20! 

ARCADE! Too much grip! Too good brakes!

Proof, if it was needed, of just how good competition brakes are. 
Funny how people judge physics and never have driven a rally car.  Not that many of us have, but if we are driving in game a certain way and they are getting too much grip or brakes work too well, maybe they are doing it wrong.  

gfRally said:
Funny how people judge physics and never have driven a rally car.  Not that many of us have, but if we are driving in game a certain way and they are getting too much grip or brakes work too well, maybe they are doing it wrong.  
Maybe they think the brakes are too good because they're not going fast enough, hence the shorter stopping distances?

gfRally said:
Maybe they think the brakes are too good because they're not going fast enough, hence the shorter stopping distances?
Exactly!  

gfRally said:
gfRally said:
Exactly!  

And thats why i would love to see a Tripmaster in the DiRT Rally game @Kickup my codriver use it very often to inform me how many meters are left to the next corner / pacenotes,
I know how many meters i need to brake under diffrent circumstances ( rain, dry, gravel, tarmac, dirt etc etc)

To be honest, at the moment i am driving for 85/90% at my pacenotes/ tripmaster when i am rallying, and 10/ 15% at sight, but that are unique situations.

Did u have a tripmaster in your Subaru @Jontucker ?
So when are you and Paul coming over the the Netherlands or Belgium to join a rally with my Belgium codriver, the Abbring family and me? :D You got also an invitation just to come over and watch us ;-)

I agree mostly what you say about the brakes. However, sometimes I feel it should be a bit more hairy stopping a car from 100mph to take a hairpin on gravel. Easier to lock up, the car's could squirm a bit more.

I hate to bring up RBR, but in the rally school stage there is a perfect example. You come from a fast flowing left to a straight, slightly downhill and having to brake for a square right. You really have to be careful on the brakes not locking up but at the same time you need to slow down the car quite heavy.

bogani said:

I agree mostly what you say about the brakes. However, sometimes I feel it should be a bit more hairy stopping a car from 100mph to take a hairpin on gravel. Easier to lock up, the car's could squirm a bit more.

I hate to bring up RBR, but in the rally school stage there is a perfect example. You come from a fast flowing left to a straight, slightly downhill and having to brake for a square left. You really have to be careful on the brakes not locking up but at the same time you need to slow down the car quite heavy.

Wasn't that a squre right? ;-) and I agree with you @bogani but again, in real life there are so many things that will cause the handling/behavior of the rallycar, Temp. of the tires, gravel in the rims gravel on the tarmac, etc etc. There are just to many things to watch, anyway Codies do a great job! :D

Does anybody know what the general view is on the launch of the new F1 game? I hope it hasn't demolished the good work on CM reputation that DiRT Rally has done.

Lukewarm. That's the general feeling. No matter what anyone might like to say in Codemasters defence, it's not just missing a single big feature, but quite a number of features which were considered series staples.
No matter how you slice it, that doesn't look like a good thing in anyones eyes.
http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/f1_2015/features/article/f1_2015_and_the_hell_of_sports_games_on_new_consoles.html

bogani said:

I hate to bring up RBR, but in the rally school stage there is a perfect example. You come from a fast flowing left to a straight, slightly downhill and having to brake for a square left. You really have to be careful on the brakes not locking up but at the same time you need to slow down the car quite heavy.

Wasn't that a squre right? ;-) and I agree with you @bogani but again, in real life there are so many things that will cause the handling/behavior of the rallycar, Temp. of the tires, gravel in the rims gravel on the tarmac, etc etc. There are just to many things to watch, anyway Codies do a great job! :D
Ofcourse it was. Corrected ;)

I don't like F1 really and have no interest in the game, but I also give no credit to a review based on lack of a career mode. I'm not interested particularly in DR's 'career', nor PCARS' (seeing as it has repeating scripted weather in each season) or any other games where there's no 'world development'.

Everyone want Football Manager in the background to their favourite game, but it won't happen - let me customise the games (no custom championships or AI yet in DR, nor in PCARS, no choice of opposition in R3E) and I don't need a 'career' mode (which can never match the scope of my imagination).

Really harsh 'review' IMO, how do you even have a career mode with two seasons of cars? 

Sorry for OT (I squeezed DR in there though!)

tbtstt said:
Can't wait for this now. I spotted a 208 in there too ;)
I think I have spotted several (or at least the same one on multiple occasions!). Looks like an Albatec 208 at 0:30, 1:31 and 2:10. The car at 1:31 and 2:10 looks very much like the 208 of Grosset-Janin. 
Also noticed the Ford focus and maybe a Fiesta?

Divided as far as I followed it. People complain about lack of features, career mode, split screen etc., but also praise the improvement in controls and handling. On Steam (user reviews), people are raging against the PC version because of bugs and crashes. They may be overrepresented in the sense that at launch, the angriest people will write the first reviews, but it may also be another case of unfinished launch code we see so often these days.

Personally I don't care about F1, but if I did, it sounds good to me. Better controls/handling/physics > anything else.

tbtstt said:
I think I have spotted several (or at least the same one on multiple occasions!). Looks like an Albatec 208 at 0:30, 1:31 and 2:10. The car at 1:31 and 2:10 looks very much like the 208 of Grosset-Janin. 
I didn't notice a Focus? Is that in the clip at the end of the video @couger1981 ? I can see... 

Reinis Nitiss - OMSE Ford Fiesta 4x4 T16 
Andreas Bakkerud - OMSE Ford Fiesta 4x4 T16 
Timur Timerzyanov - OMSE Ford Fiesta 4x4 T16 
Manfred Stohl - Stohl Racing Ford Fiesta 4x4 T16
Max Pucher - Stohl Racing Ford Fiesta 4x4 T16
Knut Ove Borseth? - Ford Fiesta 4x4 T16 

...in that "Work In Progress" section.

tbtstt said:
tbtstt said:
I didn't notice a Focus? Is that in the clip at the end of the video @couger1981 ? I can see... 

Is that the one with the orange ford livery?

Edit: Saw the video again and the Focus has more of a wrap around and pointy rear light.

tbtstt said:
tbtstt said:

Is that the one with the orange ford livery?

Edit: Saw the video again and the Focus has more of a wrap around and pointy rear light.
Yeah, I think Borseth is the orange Fiesta. The Drive for Life team is run by Borseth, though Borseth normally drives a Focus and I don't recall him ever driving with the door number 43, so that may be a different driver in the orange Fiesta.

Divided as far as I followed it. People complain about lack of features, career mode, split screen etc., but also praise the improvement in controls and handling. On Steam (user reviews), people are raging against the PC version because of bugs and crashes. They may be overrepresented in the sense that at launch, the angriest people will write the first reviews, but it may also be another case of unfinished launch code we see so often these days.

Personally I don't care about F1, but if I did, it sounds good to me. Better controls/handling/physics > anything else.
The racing is also kind of important, and the removal of the safety car is pretty sad. That was one of the things helping Codies F1 to stand out amongst other racing games and was a pretty big deal when it was implemented. With less F1 cars on the grid (bye bye Caterham), you would think the freed up resources would not only allow such things to remain, but to be improved. I would say things like that are more important than live video feeds during a race of what other drivers are doing.
Online co-op, being on the same team, was a really good feature too.

tbtstt said:a
Yeah, I think Borseth is the orange Fiesta. The Drive for Life team is run by Borseth, though Borseth normally drives a Focus and I don't recall him ever driving with the door number 43, so that may be a different driver in the orange Fiesta.

I think it's not supposed to Borseth's car - it's a Fiesta with a livery of the Drive for Life foundation.

Just played a bit of F1 2015 - it's an improvement in handling over previous games and looks very pretty at times. The AI is good - aggressive and have good pace.

But... after playing it back-to-back with DiRT Rally there's just no comparison. DiRT Rally is so much more engaging and exhilarating! Once the RX update lands we'll have the direct racing mode.

I should maybe give a bit more time and work on wheel and FFB settings, but for my personal preference rally and how DiRT Rally captures is so much more fun! 

When driving thoughts such as 'Ojojoj' 'That was close' 'Save it' 'Sidewaaaaays' go through my head - so much more is happening!

I've tried this custom FFB file from RaceDep and it works quite well (link) - I'll re-load the stock file to check if it's actually better :)