DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Dramatic new look for World Rally cars

Source: http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/july/wrc-tech-rules/page/2586--12-12-.html

This is how World Rally cars of the future could look like following Friday's (July 10) dicision of the FIA World Motor Sport Council in Mexico City to approve exciting outline principles of the technical regulations for 2017.

2017 will see steps similar to WTCC I think. Read the above article for all info. The key features:

- New aerodynamic package which includes a bigger rear wing.
- Engine power raised to 380bhp thanks to an increase in turbo restrictor size to 36mm.
Cars will be bigger due to a 55mm increase in the permitted width and a greater overhang at the front and rear.
- E
lectronically-controlled centre differentials will return and they will be 25kg lighter.

The further into the future that we venture, the uglier the cars become. Jesus. I much prefer the older styling of rally cars tbqfh.

I always hope that they will allow boxer engines in again.  Though very tough, it would be nice to see a Subaru able to re-enter.  

Benniz said:
@Rallycameraman Do we know that Winter Wonderland will be Sweden?
Sn*wDrift from Rally America, lol.  :smile: 

Benniz said:
Theoretically, no, but looking at their current choices, we can see they are after 'legends', with car selection and Monte Carlo, Acropolis, GB and Finland, and Sweden is the legendary snow round. It's also not that expensive to reach from the UK, where the team is based.

The other realistic possibility is Norway, where some of the first stages of modern Rally Sweden are held (and several more winter events are held in snow), so either way it will feel like Rally Sweden, whatever it's called.

Areyouben said:

That's hideous... and most importantly, I'll have even more tyre punctures with one of those :(
Looks like something Milestone designed ;)

Benniz said:
Theoretically, no, but looking at their current choices, we can see they are after 'legends', with car selection and Monte Carlo, Acropolis, GB and Finland, and Sweden is the legendary snow round. It's also not that expensive to reach from the UK, where the team is based.

The other realistic possibility is Norway, where some of the first stages of modern Rally Sweden are held (and several more winter events are held in snow), so either way it will feel like Rally Sweden, whatever it's called.
I don't  have the time to dig, but I'm pretty sure Sweden has been mentioned by one of the devs somewhere. 

bogani said:

Benniz said:

I don't  have the time to dig, but I'm pretty sure Sweden has been mentioned by one of the devs somewhere. 
Not only do I know which country they're using, I also know which stage they're doing ;)

Is that a hint at Vargasen and the Colin's Crest being a certainty?

probably :smile: 

bogani said:
Areyouben said:

That's hideous... and most importantly, I'll have even more tyre punctures with one of those :(
Looks like something Milestone designed ;)
Well that makes it easier for Milestone to get their art right in the next game lol.

I was a bit disappointed with how much grip there was in the Welsh stages today, at least I got to wave at @Rallycameraman as we came past

One question. Doesn't the fact that Codies are modelling real life stages from WRC rounds collide with the WRC license held by Milestone? Or are there certain loop holes around, since they aren't calling the events what they are called in the WRC likes Wales Rally GB and ADAC Rally Deutchland?

From what I gather yeah, the wrc has no ownership of stage names, for instance we use many of the WRGB stages in the BTRDA championship which I compete in all under the same names. I doubt you would be able to use the WRGB name or branding though, as that'd probably come under wrc licensing

Well I think those are public roads, which the WRC doesn't "own". Likewise with Pikes Peak. I don't think anyone can sue you for recreating a public road that someone else happens to use for their racing game too.

I don't think they use real stage names though, "Panzerplatte" isn't mentioned, instead the stages are named after villages nearby.

Well I think those are public roads, which the WRC doesn't "own". Likewise with Pikes Peak. I don't think anyone can sue you for recreating a public road that someone else happens to use for their racing game too.

I don't think they use real stage names though, "Panzerplatte" isn't mentioned, instead the stages are named after villages nearby.
Pikes peak did have to be licensed, although you could probably recreate the road and call it something else without a license