DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

That Polo's blow off valve sounds like a pressure cooker.

Azoresst said:
I was on the phone before and I didn't explain why my bet was that WRC 5 will feauture the 2014 season.

Vodafone Rally de Portugal moved into the north of the country. This stage that they put there looks a lot with a South stage by the setting and gravel colour pallet. I'm not a nerd that knows all portuguese stages, but I'm sure that this one is on the south and I would prefer to see a north stage (mainly Fafe) then this. Besides that the roads are really wide and I can't remember seing wide roads in Vodafone Rally de Portugal footage from last years! 
The Polo has the 2015 livery, so I suspect the cars will be 2015 but they'll have been working on stages for a while so 2014 Portugal would make sense. Great graphics, but not too impressive sound, stage design is OK bit waaay too wide roads and handling doesn't look great at first glance. Pity the stage artists can't be contributing to DR instead of making dusty-looking motorways for these other games!

I expect the stages will be generic ones, rather than based on real-life roads, as it's just too much work.

There were a few bits in Milestones WRC games that looked like real life (Great Orme), and even in the PS2 WRC games there were bits (the hairpin by the bridge in Spain for example), but it's easier to make stages that are indicative of the location, rather than spot-on. DiRT Rally and Sebastien Loeb Rally Evo are going for the real life route, which is nice to see (takes me back to Mobil 1 Rally Championship 2000!).

There was a stage in one of the wrc games in Wales which was part forest and part great orme, which annoyed me as there is no forest near the great orme.

for someone currently without DiRT, what is this new event thing for the anniversary?

WRC5 already looks and sounds a lot better than SLRE. I can't comment on Milestone's games (never played one), but they definitely need to fire their entire PR department. I'd rather not show anything, than show what Milestone has so far. Then again, maybe the mark of a true sim is the extensive work that went into designing the game logo.  :|

I'll be giving DiRT a rest for a few days as I have my PC in another room for gaming, and I need it in my bedroom to do some video editing and then I'm away all weekend filming. Might stay off it until the rallycross update now ;)

This game has the potential to be a good arcade alternative to DiRT Rally.
No. SLRE maybe, but not WRC 5, because it's made by Kylotonn, who is a dreadful developer who has produced only total garbage. Milestone is a tried-and-trusted high quality dev in comparison.

for someone currently without DiRT, what is this new event thing for the anniversary?
I was a special daily event with better rewards. Two stages in wales with the Subaru.

Nothing crazy, but a nice touch.

I probably won't be playing dirt until late September time now due to my current work situation. Almost tempted to get a goodish PC as a reward!

No. SLRE maybe, but not WRC 5, because it's made by Kylotonn, who is a dreadful developer who has produced only total garbage. Milestone is a tried-and-trusted high quality dev in comparison.
From the previews, I'd say WRC5 looks the better of a bad duo. Don't think I'll be forking out for either though.

I'd argue that Milestone are just rehashing the same engine that's been rubbish for 4 iterations now, whereas Kylotonn might have produced utter tripe before, but this is a new game and new team for them, so I'm prepared to listen at least.

I probably won't be playing dirt until late September time now due to my current work situation. Almost tempted to get a goodish PC as a reward!

Would you build it your self or buy over priced off the shelf? Just out of interest.

Evilsmurf said:

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/10108/good-interview-with-lead-game-designer-paul-coleman#latest

Bet you to it :P

Wat did you guys get from it?  Deformation stood out for me, visually showing it or not, its a interesting subject.

gfRally said:
Evilsmurf said:

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/10108/good-interview-with-lead-game-designer-paul-coleman#latest

Bet you to it :P

Wat did you guys get from it?  Deformation stood out for me, visually showing it or not, its a interesting subject.

I'm really happy that the subject of road deformation and evolution came up in that interview.  I've written about it on the forum before and even annoyed Paul with an email once.  I've mentioned it during the visit to Codies and I was told that visually it is doable, but to have that influence the grip and balance it all out would be very tricky.

Here's my post from over a year ago in the Wish-list thread:
http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/comment/1697/#Comment_1697
(I've just noticed that Paul C. 'agreed' that post)

I now regret not asking about it while I had a chance in Holjes - I assumed such a feature would not be possible for a while. Is it something you're actively looking into now @KickUp ?

Barnestah said:

Would you build it your self or buy over priced off the shelf? Just out of interest.
I probably won't get one, there's other things I want more first, such as a new road car and another year at uni, but I'd buy one as I have 0 knowledge of PC's and electronics!

Barnestah said:

I probably won't get one, there's other things I want more first, such as a new road car and another year at uni, but I'd buy one as I have 0 knowledge of PC's and electronics!

That's fair enough. If you do ever get round to it tho. I can thoroughly recommend giving a self build a good look at. You can save a massive amount & quite honestly if I can do it a hamster with narcolepsy can do it. 

As for road deformation, This would  certainly put Dirt Rally well ahead of the competition. If it can implemented well and not hurt  fps to hard it would be simply magnificent. 

Barnestah said:
Barnestah said:

That's fair enough. If you do ever get round to it tho. I can thoroughly recommend giving a self build a good look at. You can save a massive amount & quite honestly if I can do it a hamster with narcolepsy can do it. 

As for road deformation, This would  certainly put Dirt Rally well ahead of the competition. If it can implemented well and not hurt  fps to hard it would be simply magnificent. 
If only want to spend a few hundred on one if I did, not looking for anything ridiculous

Barnestah said:
Barnestah said:

Road deformation would be completely irrelevant outside of Rally Cross, at least in the current form of DiRT Rally.
It would only really make sense if it was there was an actual listed race order for who starts which stage and when, so the stage could be in a different condition depending on how many AI racers went ahead of you.
And/Or/If the DiRT 3 system came back of having multiple cars on a rally stage having started at different times.

Since the track isn't in a universal condition, this would, of course, also make a huge mess of the online leaderboards system.

The only reason true, real-time road deformation was relevant in Sega Rally (Revo)  was because the whole game was built around doing multiple laps of the same environment, so it was very apparent where each car had been each lap. 

The quote system got completely borked by someone in that string. =P
Think someone tried deleting a quote but only went half-way, so the code is jumbled.
It was putting my words into a quote-box, even though it wasn't that way in the preview. 

Only way I could get my words separate was to insert an extra <blockquote> via html view.

I was half on my phone and half driving heavy machinery (not on the road, I'm not a moron) so I wouldn't be surprised if it was me!

I was half on my phone and half driving heavy machinery (not on the road, I'm not a moron) so I wouldn't be surprised if it was me!
And driving heavy equipment and on your phone anywhere is smart?  :open_mouth: 

From the previews, I'd say WRC5 looks the better of a bad duo. Don't think I'll be forking out for either though.

I'd argue that Milestone are just rehashing the same engine that's been rubbish for 4 iterations now, whereas Kylotonn might have produced utter tripe before, but this is a new game and new team for them, so I'm prepared to listen at least.
Ultimately we won't know until both are released. I know who I'd like back making the WRC arcade-sim games, but Evo Studios are long gone on a different path, which is such a shame. 

I think the thing to do for both SLRE and WRC5 is to wait a few weeks for both reviews and mass community feedback on Steam forums and the like, and see what the better option is. 

I do hope that WRC5 ends up being a good quality arcade-sim, because I've adored the WRC since I was a lad, so I'm still a sucker for an official license. 

gfRally said:
And driving heavy equipment and on your phone anywhere is smart?  :open_mouth: 
Well, I wasn't moving at the time! Farming is easy (sometimes)

It might have been me as my phone reception at work is useless and I keep getting kicked off.