DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Well to me it makes so sense, that they release it now. Dirt Rally Winter 2015 and Dirt Showdown still in 2015? earlist summer 2016 would be my expectations

I think it was not made visible/clear to players just how much smaller the team and the budget for DiRT Rally was compared to DiRT 3 (and most likely previous DiRTs).

At times team developing DiRT Rally was tiny compared to what people would expect.

Focus of the Southam Codemasters studio has been on DiRT Rally only recently - before it was GRID 2 and GRID Autosport. Now, with the sales of DiRT Rally being really good, the team is likely to have more support and more budget, but they won't get an army of devs and a swimming pool of $$$ to accomodate all our wishes.

Even now there's a team making an Overlord game and it's likely that fixing F1 2015 is taking resources away from Southam to Birmingham.

Then bear in mind that the overall number of devs/employees at the main studio in Southam has decreased significantly compared to the glory days of DiRT 3 - of course I don't have the numbers, but car parks are far from full...

I know that players really enjoy DiRT Rally and #1 improvement, which would make the game even more rally authentic would be to have so many stage kilometres that you'd have to rely on pace notes for months. But people need to realise just how expensive and time consuming it is to produce a stage with such a detail and quality as we have in DR.

It's 2-3 people, highly skilled well earning artists, working for most of a year... It's no secret that Codies are not swimming in cash so despite the success of DiRT Rally they are still on a shoe string budget.

All I know from my chats with the devs that the success and hugely positive reaction to DiRT Rally did not go unnoticed upstairs at Codies. There's a clear plan and budget for DiRT Rally, there's gathering of wishes and feedback, there's a push on keeping it getting better and better.
I do realise this, still, this doesn`t make my point any less valid, we suffer from a lack of stage variety (even more than in lenght IMO), but seeing DiRT Rally as a solid base to expand upon, the current planning for the early access couldn`t be better, the next game could be just more content and general improvements in the game and it would still be great!
Alternatively, if in a year they make one more stage for each rally (6 in total) and sell it in a fairly priced DLC Pack, i will surely buy it without thinking twice. i think that long-term support is the key for this game to have a long life even if it means numerous DLC, as long as it is good content packs and it`s fairly priced, then i`m okay with it.

Just NOPE, this is worse than SLRE  :s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWa4MLG7i-c

That is the strangest trailer I've ever seen..

Plenty of the piss filter early on, some shots looked as if they are phase shift photography and I kept waiting for 'NOT actual gameplay footage', because the way the car moved was so weird.

See... I'm not blaming them for trying and I suspect if I played it I may like a thing or two. But soon after I'd grow MIGHTY frustrated with how shit it is overall.

Then I remember how much sweat my body gave out when I tried to complete some stages in Greece with the 306 or Lancia 037. There are no games on the horizon, which would give as much fun and excitement as DiRT Rally.

Milestone and Kylotonn (?) are trying, but there's such a huge canyon between them and DiRT Rally.

All Codemasters need to do is add a bit more content to DiRT Rally, polish it here and there, take it to consoles and then swim in the cash they make... :tongue:

Milestone and Kylotonn (?) are trying, but there's such a huge canyon between them and DiRT Rally.
No, they're not trying. If they were, they would have listened to feedback regarding their 1995 physics engine. Carmageddon had better physics.

What they are trying to do is make a profit and nothing else.

I will confess being quite interested in SLRE stages (and the Citroens :D )
But nothing about WRC 5 excites me, WTF was this trailer? lol
i may try both anyway, i can`t resist, it`s rally (just in a crappy rendition) after all

JackKey said:
DiRT Showdown 2?
http://www.xboxfront.de/news-3575-47975-DiRT-Showdown-2-Xbox-One.html
http://www.gameware.at/info/space/Dirt+Showdown+2?emphasize=MS-DISH2
Gameware lists Showdown 2 for 2015

Not a chance. I'd love to know why people make stuff like this up.

JackKey said:
DiRT Showdown 2?

@justbiglee because gossip ;-) xD
But I really dont like that people put stuff like that into the world.

JackKey said:
DiRT Showdown 2?

@justbiglee because gossip ;-) xD
But I really dont like that people put stuff like that into the world.
Gossip I'm cool with, I encourage it if anything but this is just making something up... Worst of all it's not even making something good up!

@OttoWilson nice research, only think u have to remember is that u have to count the 2 stages that still has to come: Flying Finland and Winterwonder land, lets say both are also 20 km +/- then u got around the 120km total in DiRT Rally , close to CMR DiRT,
Not to forget its not fair to compare, to RBR, Because DiRT Rally and CMR DiRT got also Pikepeak and Rallycross ( Only DiRT Rally) That are also stage km.

I do hope that there will be new stages added later on the rallies we got now, ( for example the wineyards stages in the Germany rally)
He already accounted for that, saying once all the announced rally tracks are out, they'll barely be on par with the rally stages in the original DiRT.
CMR DiRT may have had shorter stages in total, but at least it was 4 unique stages We can't deny that making 10 additional stages out of 2 long ones just pushes the limits of repeatedness a bit too far, especially in the full 12 stage masters championships which has you going through certain sectors 3 times in one direction and another 3 times in the opposite direction.
The original DiRT also had Rally Cross, Pikes Peak and more in the form of the Buggy and RAID events.
The only way DiRT Rally is going to close that gap is if we count Pikes Peak 3 times for each surface variant.

Just NOPE, this is worse than SLRE  :s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWa4MLG7i-c
What the hell was that? I mean seriously. Surely Kylotonn would've seen all the flack Milestone have had over the years for there efforts. And for a company with the WRC licence why don't they make the same effort like Codies to actually record the car audio properly. Properly disappointing and doing the WRC no favours with this game. 

I wonder why the FIA give their WRC license to developers that do not have the experience of building a rally game.
Kylotonn Games hasn't made a game about any motorsport (except something called Truck Racer which looks horrible) so why give the official license to them in the first place? I just don't understand it. It's like a hospital that needs a surgeon and offers the job to a builder. It's not a good idea and he'll mess up.

When the previous Dirt games came out I thought well why not let Codies have a crack at it. They have the experience. And now with Dirt Rally CM is the only developer worthy of the official WRC license!

I wonder why the FIA give their WRC license to developers that do not have the experience of building a rally game.
Kylotonn Games hasn't made a game about any motorsport (except something called Truck Racer which looks horrible) so why give the official license to them in the first place? I just don't understand it. It's like a hospital that needs a surgeon and offers the job to a builder. It's not a good idea and he'll mess up.

When the previous Dirt games came out I thought well why not let Codies have a crack at it. They have the experience. And now with Dirt Rally CM is the only developer worthy of the official WRC license!

I think it's more complicated than that. WRC commercial rights holder gave the licence to Big Ben Interactive, who employed Kylotonn to make the game and had Milestone do it in the past.

If Big Ben is still making money from such poor efforts why would they change how things are?

We can only hope that the licence deal runs out soon, the commercial rights holder has enough of such poor representation of the sport and then makes the deal with Codies for a not too restrictive series of games...

Well Codies had never released a rally game before Colin McRae Rally, but that had the FIA WRC license.
That game turned out all right.

The official WRC license isn't quite that simple. WRC1-3 were under license to Black Bean, or something like that, who are the ones who contracted Milestone. After those three, Big Ben (normally a hardware manufacturer/distributor, I believe) signed a deal with the new WRC promoter (creatively called 'WRC Promoter') for the next three games. I imagine that they've gone with Milestone for WRC4 for the sake of simplicity, whilst simultaneously looking for a new studio to work on their 'next gen' title. And they've now seemingly hired their compatriots Kyloten to do that, for the next two versions unfortunately, presumably after putting it out to tender.

In my estimation, WRC Promoter may have been chasing a quick buck when the license was up last time; they were a newly formed company after the 2012 disaster when Eurosport changed their mind about taking it on. Arguably they aren't doing a great job with promotion at the moment (they were trying to make real WRC more 'arcade' last year, with their 'only the last stage counts' proposals), but hopefully they'll improve and realise the value that is added to their own 'product' by having a well supported official video game.

I think it's more complicated than that. WRC commercial rights holder gave the licence to Big Ben Interactive, who employed Kylotonn to make the game and had Milestone do it in the past.

If Big Ben is still making money from such poor efforts why would they change how things are?

We can only hope that the licence deal runs out soon, the commercial rights holder has enough of such poor representation of the sport and then makes the deal with Codies for a not too restrictive series of games...
It's even more complicated than that; the first 3 WRC recent titles (by Milestone) were published by Black Bean Games. WRC4 was still developed by Milestone, but BigBen Interactive took over the publishing. After WRC4 they dropped Milestone (who decided to make the Loeb Rally Evo game) and bought in Kylotonn Games, perhaps they were asking for less money to develop the games. This is also why only WRC4 is available on places like Steam, and the earlier WRC games have gone (including the short-lived WRC Powerslide isometric arcade racer), as they were all published by Black Bean Games.

Black Bean Games doesn't seem to exist at all any more, their website is dead now, they published a wide number of racing games in their time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Bean_Games

I'm not sure if Black Bean was absorbed by BigBen or just died, but they seemed to partner on some projects in the past, so maybe more of the former. So it's up to BigBen as to who gets the WRC license. I don't think they'd deal with a company like Codemasters, who have their own publishing (via Bandai), etc, set up, as they probably are just looking for a cost-effective, independant games developer to do the coding.

BrySkye said:

Well Codies had never released a rally game before Colin McRae Rally, but that had the FIA WRC license.
That game turned out all right.
None of the Colin McRae Rally games had the WRC license, they just licensed the cars/teams and recreated the locations!

Unfortunately it seems WRC5 is designed for ARCADE POP CORN players like me. 
Based on that and the other trailers, I think its designed for deaf arcade pop corn (sorry, POPCORN) players.

Another must-read interview with @KickUp

http://www.redbull.com/en/games/stories/1331736195317/dirt-rally-interview-making-the-best-rally-sim

why are people surprised about wrc 5 being arcade ?

its pretty simple most money comes from arcade type driving. they know they will make money and they will have to cause of the cost for the wrc license

why people think buisness people care what game you want. they care about money not if its arcade or not lol.

dgeesi0 said:

its pretty simple most money comes from arcade type driving. they know they will make money and they will have to cause of the cost for the wrc license

why people think buisness people care what game you want. they care about money not if its arcade or not lol.
I don`t think anyone is surprised at all, but seriously, i think in the recent years people are more interested in more realistic experiences rather than ARCADE games for POP CORN players
I don`t mean every game should be like DR or RBR, but one would expect at least a quite realistic representation of rallying like the old Evolution Studios` WRC games were, i remember all their five games being rather successful and critically acclaimed, WRC 4 was my favourite.

dgeesi0 said:

I don't think they're surprised that WRC 5 is an arcade game, but the fact that it's so badly made. See, a game can be arcade and fun at the same time. Rally Masters and Rallisport Challenge, for instance, had good enough physics without being sims - because the cars didn't move like boats. They moved like one would expect a car to move at speed. This makes the games more fun. Carmageddon 1 & 2 also had very good physics, and seeing as all the games mentioned are 12 years old or more, one would assume their physics could be replicated to an extent in newer releases of arcade racing/rally games, but nope. The only thing improving is the graphics. They don't give a shit about gameplay. I'd be surprised if they made any noticable profit with that kind of attitude towards gaming.

The makers of SLRE and WRC 5 should just go home and do something worthwhile, like eating crisps.