DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Mine is just permanently connected and I mount/dismount as I so please. Takes half a minute tops.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ShodanCat said:

Wreckfest is another fantastic example of how to tune gamepad handling in a realistic racing game (and before you laugh at me saying "realistic" regarding Wreckfest, don't knock it till you try it - the physics/handling in Wreckfest are actually fantastic.)

I would if Bugbear pulled their fingers from their backsides and released the console version.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, cafe5150 said:

I would if Bugbear pulled their fingers from their backsides and released the console version.

Ive gave up on it coming out tbh. They might hold off for the PS5/X2

2 hours ago, MrSpanky said:

I agree with you that pad handling is missing something. Had no problems in dr1, felt intuitive and could predict and sense car behaviour. In Dr2, while it's serviceable, it doesn't give me the same confidence or make me want to try it just one more time. That addictive factor has gone 😢

- further testing on game pad. I feel this title was developed primarily to the wheel user base. While working on dirt rally 1, I specifically recall a lot of pad testing being done daily (yes I worked as a front end engineer in dr1 and spent countless after work hours testing the game on pad). It may be that the same level of testing has been done to this title, however I feel it could do with a focus test session on all vehicle track combo. Crucially, I still play the games with a standard wired x360 controller. It maybe that this has now become non standard and therefore has been dropped in favor of x1 pad for majority of the testing and balancing. I'm speculating here so likely to be wrong, but pointing out the fact that diff pads could be reason why some peeps like the handling and some don't.

I just messed around with it and I just... can't. It's just not good. The poor controls mixed with cameras it seems like everyone universally dislikes. On straights where I'd be flat-out no problem on a wheel I end up just very slowly fishtailing down until I hit something.

And actually the FFB on wheels is pretty poor too, which is why I don't use mine. You don't really get a whole lot more feeling, just more precise control. Well.. it has some self centering force, but not much and it's not really that detailed. Whispers and secrets but I liked it more before. The controls and camera in DR1 on a controller were far more manageable.

As an additional note, I wasn't going to mention this, but you started it, the brakes and throttle are absolutely bizarre. I set the max throttle to 33% and the car barely went above idle and maxed at 4mph on flat ground. Set to 67% it killed wheelspin, but still had enough power. The first 50% of throttle is useless, so on a controller that leaves you 5mm of travel on a controller to manage throttle.

The brakes lock up no matter what. I only input max 80%, have ABS on max, and they lock up every single time so I just slide past any turn i try to make. The only way to combat it is to just start braking WAY too early, which again isn't really an issue on my wheel.

1 hour ago, Rygar86 said:

For those who mentioned not using their wheels because of the massive effort required to set it up each time, I totally agree and was in the same boat. Every time I set it up at my desk it would take me ages and just be a mess of cords and then I would leave it there for days so I could play Dirt Rally not wanting to take it off knowing how much effort it was to pack up too.

But then I found a solution with the Wheel Stand Pro (link below) and after spending quite a bit of time setting my wheel up on it and I had all things adjusted and all cables perfectly routed, I could then use it just the way I needed.

I have a Wheelstand Pro. It's decent, but I still have to drag it out of my closet and set it up at my desk and make my desk unusable for anything else. I also haven't found the $100 price tag reasonable for a piece of pipe with a plate on it for the shifter, so I designed and CNC'd a plate of plywood I bolt into the holes for my chairs armrest.

Only downside the damn Fanatec shifter weighs as much as a black hole and 3/4" aircraft plywood still gets bouncy when using it. Looks pretty slick though.

16 minutes ago, FLAW3D said:

Ive gave up on it coming out tbh. They might hold off for the PS5/X2

Ooh, what are MS going to come up with for Xbox 1 v4? We've already got;

Xbox 1... original...

Xbox 360 = 1

Xbox One.

Maybe Xbox Circle? Sphere? ...Ring?

• Haha 1

Guys, please have a look at this thread and feel free to contribute. I feel like it's an important piece of the package, specially for those with esports prospectives.

It might be a little too late for some of these things to fit in what's the current Clubs development, but everything starts with discussion.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Ooh, what are MS going to come up with for Xbox 1 v4? We've already got;

Xbox 1... original...

Xbox 360 = 1

Xbox One.

Maybe Xbox Circle? Sphere? ...Ring?

xbox infinity!

xbox torus (taurus?)

xbox trapezoid

3 hours ago, ianism said:

xbox infinity!

xbox torus (taurus?)

xbox trapezoid

I initially thought infinity, but that's bigger than 1. And would also go into being the last one. Which Cony and MS both said they wouldn't make any more consoles, but whatever.

Torus is a decent one though. Trapezoid is a shape and doesn't really "revolve" or equal 1 in any way.

3 hours ago, JZStudios said:

I initially thought infinity, but that's bigger than 1. And would also go into being the last one. Which Cony and MS both said they wouldn't make any more consoles, but whatever.

Torus is a decent one though. Trapezoid is a shape and doesn't really "revolve" or equal 1 in any way.

lol they were all jokes of steadily increasing ridiculousness

because the names for the xbox consoles since the original have also been ridiculous

Edited by ianism

OK, so this might be a really good bit of gossip, or it might just be a bit of really wishful thinking, but BGM Sport (who run a lot of historic rally cars), posted this on Facebook earlier today: 

"Made a bit of noise last week to get some sound recordings with a couple of super McRae Subaru’s!"

Possibly a huge coincidence, but could the sound recordings be for Codemasters? Could we be getting two of the most requested Subarus? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 2

24 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

OK, so this might be a really good bit of gossip, or it might just be a bit of really wishful thinking, but BGM Sport (who run a lot of historic rally cars), posted this on Facebook earlier today: 

"Made a bit of noise last week to get some sound recordings with a couple of super McRae Subaru’s!"

Possibly a huge coincidence, but could the sound recordings be for Codemasters? Could we be getting two of the most requested Subarus? 

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm interesting, I hope so! But I recall seeing way more sound capture material when they shared screenshots on the BMW M1.

It looks like finally we'll get that 22b in the game!

Edited by Riggs
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Riggs said:

It looks like finally we'll get that 22b in the game!

Nice try, but I'm not biting...

...it might be wishful thinking, but would be amazing if these are both coming!

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, Bigsur said:

Yes, but only because the first three cars (Mini Coopers) were disqualified because they had the wrong type of headlamp bulb.

Ah but would they have won without the advantage of the headlight bulbs.

We will never know.

• Haha 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, tbtstt said:

codemasters-mic-kit-dpa-cables.jpg?resiz

I have seen those orange cable and that white tape somewhere before...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tbtstt said:

:classic_ohmy:

The S3 and the 22B?

*runs and hides

• Haha 1

The sound guy/person/team for DiRT Rally 2.0 is like the hero of their whole team.

• Agree 2

Thanks for posting that Tbtstt!

those two would be insane 😍

are there any other reasons other than for video game purposes that the car’s sound would may be recorded?

i guess another option is that these could be in wrc 8? Apparently that game will have some historic rally cars too. Would rather it was Dort Rally 2 though 🤞

Edited by Pieman99

4 minutes ago, Pieman99 said:

are there any other reasons other than for video game purposes that the car’s sound would may be recorded?

Based on the response I got on Facebook it seems likely that the purpose of the recording was for a game. As you rightly say, we can't prove it was CM, though they do seem the most likely suspects. 

And you are welcome @Pieman99: if it is what we think it is, then I am pleased to have bought that to the forum!*

(* and if it's not I apologise for getting everyone's hopes up!)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

CM is based in the UK. more likely it's them than the devs from WRC games because they're french and thus would have to travel more. also, we know how strongly CM feel for McRae et al.

also, what is the car in the background of the first picture? (could be recording it for different purposes but who knows)

Untitled.jpg

Edited by ianism
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, ianism said:

CM is based in the UK. more likely it's them than the devs from WRC games because they're french and thus would have to travel more. also, we know how strongly CM feel for McRae et al.

also, what is the car in the background of the first picture? (could be recording it for different purposes but who knows)

Untitled.jpg

It's the new Aston Martin Vantage gt3 from AMR :

99-beechdean-amr-aston-martin--1.jpg

(the front bumper with the huge vent is the big giveaway)

Edited by Accro2008
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So could they also be recording the Aston Martin sound? It's very unlikely that WRC8 will feature the Aston Martin, so the Aston would be a big giveaway that it's indeed CM recording these Subarus. Oh the irony.

Edited by Riggs

could be different devs recording the aston for a different game. it clearly wasn't the focus of the post. but you never know...

I'm much more excited about the subarus!

Image result for elmo shrug gif

Edited by ianism

Well the car in the background might have offered us a clue as to who was recording, but it still doesn't really prove it was CM...

...as an aside, if we do end up with an early Impreza WRCar in game and CM don't include a "No, it's NOT a 22B" trophy/achievement then it's a massive missed opportunity. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4