DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

BrySkye said:
In all milestone games i have to turn v-sync off, the Full Rate option causes a lot of stutter, funny how the Half Rate (basically a 30fps cap) works butter smooth -,-
Unfortunately with v-sync off i also have stutters because their games sometimes go well over 120fps and have sudden dips to 50-ish fps, it`s just a shitty port IMHO
That's sort of normal though. If you want to avoid microstutters and screen tearing, the GPU and Monitor have to be perfectly synced.
It's why Nvidia G-Sync is such a big deal.
What you can do to make things better though is turn off V-Sync, but use something like Nvidia Inspector to assign a FPS cap in the graphics drivers themselves to individual games.
If your monitor/TV is 60hz, you never want the framerate to go above 60. There's no benefit.
Not only is it putting extra strain on your graphics card for no reason (pointless fan-noise) but 60fps+ will cause it's own microstutters because the monitor can't display that properly.
With the GPU not working so hard, it's less likely to suddenly drop a whole bunch of frames.
I have G-SYNC (ROG Swift); the Milestone games are stuttery unless monitor is set to 60hz. A few games exhibit this issue, it's a bit annoying.

But yeah, anyone got any DiRT Rally gossip?

BrySkye said:
In all milestone games i have to turn v-sync off, the Full Rate option causes a lot of stutter, funny how the Half Rate (basically a 30fps cap) works butter smooth -,-
Unfortunately with v-sync off i also have stutters because their games sometimes go well over 120fps and have sudden dips to 50-ish fps, it`s just a shitty port IMHO
That's sort of normal though. If you want to avoid microstutters and screen tearing, the GPU and Monitor have to be perfectly synced.
It's why Nvidia G-Sync is such a big deal.
What you can do to make things better though is turn off V-Sync, but use something like Nvidia Inspector to assign a FPS cap in the graphics drivers themselves to individual games.
If your monitor/TV is 60hz, you never want the framerate to go above 60. There's no benefit.
Not only is it putting extra strain on your graphics card for no reason (pointless fan-noise) but 60fps+ will cause it's own microstutters because the monitor can't display that properly.
With the GPU not working so hard, it's less likely to suddenly drop a whole bunch of frames.
I have G-SYNC (ROG Swift); the Milestone games are stuttery unless monitor is set to 60hz. A few games exhibit this issue, it's a bit annoying.

Just this: http://www.vg247.com/2015/07/21/dirt-rally-pc-racing-mod-support/

And this: https://www.reddit.com/r/dirtgame/comments/3dmf2a/feedbackfriday_with_a_twist/ct6luro

VirtuaIceMan said:

Haha smoooooth return to the topic at hand :D :tongue:

I've not seen that much Gossip lately, but noticed that people start to wonder what will happen in a couple of months time.

There is a clear plan from the timeline on what content will be added, we know that there's more cars on the way and MP mode.

However, what is not quite clear what happens when EA is over. Of course, the game will go to v1.0 and be available for puchase, but in a way that's the state right now.

With such commercial issues at hand the devs perhaps do not have a permission to discuss yet whether there will be any DLC or what post-release packs of features or content there are plans for.

Will the end of Early Access mark the end of development of DiRT Rally?

Will Codemasters work on and release consoles versions of DiRT Rally? There seems to be an apetite for it...

The dev team is clearly focused on what they've promised/announced for Early Access, but I do wonder that the execs are planning.

VirtuaIceMan said:

Haha smoooooth return to the topic at hand :D :tongue:

I've not seen that much Gossip lately, but noticed that people start to wonder what will happen in a couple of months time.

There is a clear plan from the timeline on what content will be added, we know that there's more cars on the way and MP mode.

However, what is not quite clear what happens when EA is over. Of course, the game will go to v1.0 and be available for puchase, but in a way that's the state right now.

With such commercial issues at hand the devs perhaps do not have a permission to discuss yet whether there will be any DLC or what post-release packs of features or content there are plans for.

Will the end of Early Access mark the end of development of DiRT Rally?

Will Codemasters work on and release consoles versions of DiRT Rally? There seems to be an apetite for it...

The dev team is clearly focused on what they've promised/announced for Early Access, but I do wonder that the execs are planning.
There's some talk about after EA in another thread about DLC most are ok with some are not. Also some thought that Codemasters said that we will be getting free update after EA and thats why they signed up.

There's some talk about after EA in another thread about DLC most are ok with some are not. Also some thought that Codemasters said that we will be getting free update after EA and thats why they signed up.

The post on reddit @Azoresst linked to makes it pretty clear there are no plans for DLC.

If there are no plans for DLC then it must mean that the devs and artists are moving onto a different project...

How did they arrive at a conclusion that post-EA updates will be free...? It was made very clear that Timeline updates would be included in the price, so to save money it made sense to get in right at the start.

I do wish that DiRT Rally would become a service - I'd be more than happy to pay some money every month for development of new locations/stages/cars and features (stage evolution), but based on the signals we're seeing the plan is to complete EA of DiRT Rally and do something else.

However, I think that something else will take the message given by people who played DiRT Rally and console players who really wished they could play it, to make DiRT Rally MAX or something... and not go back to the dudebro bonanza and lack of authenticity of rally.

But then again would I like to wait 1-2 years for a release? To be honest no... I feel the wait for DiRT Rally since D3 was long enough, and now with such an amazing base I'd love it if the game was developed and improved  beyond it's nominal release.

The post on reddit @Azorest linked to makes it pretty clear there are no plans for DLC.

If there are no plans for DLC then it must mean that the devs and artists are moving onto a different project...

How did they arrive at a conclusion that post-EA updates will be free...? It was made very clear that Timeline updates would be included in the price, so to save money it made sense to get in right at the start.

I do wish that DiRT Rally would become a service - I'd be more than happy to pay some money every month for development of new locations/stages/cars and features (stage evolution), but based on the signals we're seeing the plan is to complete EA of DiRT Rally and do something else.

However, I think that something else will take the message given by people who played DiRT Rally and console players who really wished they could play it, to make DiRT Rally MAX or something... and not go back to the dudebro bonanza and lack of authenticity of rally.

But then again would I like to wait 1-2 years for a release? To be honest no... I feel the wait for DiRT Rally since D3 was long enough, and now with such an amazing base I'd love it if the game was developed and improved  beyond it's nominal release.
They thought that once you pay you get everything free even after EA.

Yeah it was either Lee or Paul who said that management gave the team the go ahead to make a rally game for the fans and now i guess that management want to go back to a more casual gamer type of game like the previous DiRT's. 

Yeah it was either Lee or Paul who said that management gave the team the go ahead to make a rally game for the fans and now i guess that management want to go back to a more casual gamer type of game like the previous DiRT's. 
I'm 99% sure that is not the case...

If anything the response to DiRT Rally has confirmed that this direction and focus on authenticity is what the players wanted now.

In my opinion the next game will be an expanded DiRT Rally with a bigger budget and console versions.

According to Steam Spy DiRT Rally sold about 110 000 digitally as Early Access game - F1 2015 sold less than 30 000 and it's a high profile full release. DiRT Rally is a living proof of giving players what they specifically asked for pays off.

Talking about all of this seems a bit premature, we're still about three months from end of EA. I guess the admission that no DLC is in the works and mod-support is not going to happen just made us aware that after enjoying DiRT Rally so much the joyride of Early Access is going to end pretty soon.

I'm sure Codies high-ups and execs are planning what to do next and a console pie is too tasty to miss out on it.
So they must be thinking: DiRT Rally sold so well as Early Access PC game - surely it will sell well on consoles. So now they're faced with the following choices:

1) Bring DiRT Rally to consoles
2) Complete DiRT Rally on Steam PC and start making a new DiRT Rally like game for consoles and PC
3) Develop DiRT Rally beyond release either with subs or DLC
4) Option 3 while doing the same for consoles

Something will happen, we just don't know what yet. By being selfish I'd like DiRT Rally to live on and get stuff added, but the potential revenue from consoles must be very appealing.

But do Codemasters have the finances at this time to go all out, big budget on the next DiRT game? I'm just hoping they won't spend what DiRT Rally made on GRID 3....

If anything the response to DiRT Rally has confirmed that this direction and focus on authenticity is what the players wanted now.

In my opinion the next game will be an expanded DiRT Rally with a bigger budget and console versions.

According to Steam Spy DiRT Rally sold about 110 000 digitally as Early Access game - F1 2015 sold less than 30 000 and it's a high profile full release. DiRT Rally is a living proof of giving players what they specifically asked for pays off.

Taking about all of this seems a bit premature, we're still about three months from end of EA. I'm sure Codies high-ups and execs are planning what to do next and a console pie is too tasty to miss out on it.

So they must be thinking: DiRT Rally sold so well as Early Access PC game - surely it will sell well on consoles. So now they're faced with the following choices:

2) Complete DiRT Rally on Steam PC and start making a new DiRT Rally like game for consoles and PC

Something will happen, we just don't know what yet. By being selfish I'd like DiRT Rally to live on and get stuff added, but the potential revenue from consoles must be very appealing.

But do Codemasters have the finances at this time to go all out, big budget on the next DiRT game? I'm just hoping they won't spend what DiRT Rally made on GRID 3....
Yeah they have a smaller team because of the recent layoffs and i would guess that they would spend some of  that budget hiring more people.

I'm sure Codies high-ups and execs are planning what to do next and a console pie is too tasty to miss out on it.

Lately, when there are articles about WRC 5 or SLRE, comments are always full of people praising Dirt Rally instead, and people begging for a console release... I almost feel sorry for Milestone and Kylotonn... almost :p

I really would like to see DLCs between each DiRT game release. Besides the expansion in terms of content, it fills the game with fresh new things when you are waiting for the next project. 

Talking about all of this seems a bit premature, we're still about three months from end of EA. I guess the admission that no DLC is in the works and mod-support is not going to happen just made us aware that after enjoying DiRT Rally so much the joyride of Early Access is going to end pretty soon.

Ok so Lee said that DiRT rally is Paul's and the teams game and so i guess management gave the ok :)

http://twitter.com/justbiglee/status/623853350270947328

Azoresst said:
Just this: http://www.vg247.com/2015/07/21/dirt-rally-pc-racing-mod-support/

“We couldn’t allow people to mod in new cars because of licencing. Even liveries on cars officially supported causes licensing issues. There are somethings that could be done, but it seems that every possible way look at incorporating mod support we hit a legal reason why we can’t.”
Does he mean the existing licences have clauses where they cannot add modding support like this? He surely doesn't mean having mod support is somehow illegal, or else someone better tell ISI that the rFactor series in big trouble.

They just can't officially support modding, but we can mod if we find a way...
It's probably something manufacturer related, i remember in GT5 you couldn't use the Ferrari F1 cars against any other car in the game, and in R3E the current DTM Experience cars can't be run outside it's own "DTM Experience" until the 2015 pack comes out (when the 2014 pack came out the 2013 was unlocked for the whole game)
Also, the Audi R18 in Project CARS doesn't have a custom livery slot and only runs in the official liveries, same thing happens to the Audis in DiRT Rally

Unless it's a road car, Audi seem to be quite "it has to have this official livery and nothing else", which is nice for authenticity, but a bit silly if you're doing a multi-car race (not so much in DiRT!) and they all look identical!

Check this out! Timmy Hansen with a lil preview of cars in the RX update! 

https://instagram.com/p/5g4coGBM9L/

Peugeot Hansen 208 (7 liveries)
VW Polo Rallycross in VW Marklund livery (8 liveries in total)
Ford OMSE Fiesta  (5 liveries in total)

By the way, this is the kind of rig he's playing DiRT Rally on...

I was expecting the Ds3 to come in the first pack. But i cant complain. Really looking forward to try the 208.

I was expecting the Ds3 to come in the first pack. But i cant complain. Really looking forward to try the 208.
You can't see the left of the screen, can you? Might be a fourth car. Or am I missing something?

Good find by the way.

I think what Timmy is playing may not be the final version of the update, that we'll get to play pretty soon. I think the dev builds may have cars in them, which are not fully signed off so it all may change until the very last minute.

We've seen the DS3 in videos before so I'm sure it's in the works - may just not make it for the first pack due to a delay in licencing sign off.

What is very cool is that Timmy Hansen can and wants to play DiRT Rally ahead of the RX pack release and send his feedback do the dev team.

He knows exactly what his 208 WRX is doing on the track and when we get to drive it in-game ourselves we'll know it was polished by the man himself :)

That Vesaro rig will be used for training of young Swedish driving talent - with DiRT Rally pre-loaded :)