DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

KickUp said:
I noticed that with unedited tuning files, the 037 still has a front differential, and the kit cars still have rear differentials. Asked about that ages ago and justbiglee said he'd tell the people who program the cars. Sadly there's never been any answer or feedback and now this supposed bug is still there after the RX update. Could any of you please give any feedback, and if only to tell why it's not been changed?

This has been answered in a few different places but seeing as you have called it out here I'll happily say it again. The handling files that you can see expose variables that the code is not necessarily looking at. The cars all start life using the same file but we then use our tools to tell the code what bits it should look at and what bits it should ignore. So a RWD car never looks at its front diff because it doesn't have one, so 100% of nothing is nothing. Same with the FWD cars 100% of nothing is nothing.

In a nutshell nothing has changed because it isn't a bug and it doesn't need fixing. People looking at those files are making assumptions without knowing the facts. In hindsight we should have encrypted them so that people couldn't even see them. I'll probably get them encrypted anyway but we just haven't got round to it yet.

Ehhh, the game could probably do with less encrypted files rather than more...
Sounds more like old Codemasters. It just closes doors and reduces future potential.

tbtstt said:
macebig said:
tbtstt said:
KickUp said:
tbtstt said:

As a follow up question based on the content of the show and your comment about speaking to individual engineers (thus I would assume this is a question that @KickUp will be able to answer). We can see that there are different team liveries included; is the car model identical for each type, or are the models mechanically different underneath based on the team? I.e. does the Albatec 208 behave differently to the Hansen 208? And will the DS3's of Petter Solberg and Liam Doran handle differently as well?
Right now we have been limited to making the cars as a base with liveries applied on top so there is no difference in the setup / handling between the Hansen and Albatec. Its something we may be refining in the future though.
Thanks for answering @KickUp , an understandable compromise but nice to know its on the radar. :smile: Very interested to hear your comments about Petter's DS3, I have had several conversations about the setup of that car, interesting to hear that it has a lot of the paddock scratching their heads as well!

During that Twitch show it was mentioned that the next rallycross pack would include one more track and three more cars. The track is obviously Hell and one of the cars is the DS3: any clues as to what the other two cars are?
Munnich S3 and JRM Mini
Is that a guess, or have seen a clue?

Munnich S3 was mentioned when it was made clear why Ekstrom's S1couldnt be in.As for JRM Mini to have logos plastered around the game to no avail will be a little bit pointless,dont you think?

Here's the cover for WRC 5. Looks pretty bland to me. Also there are other versions with the DS3, i20 or Fiesta, depending on the country.

TPJP said:
Here's the cover for WRC 5. Looks pretty bland to me. Also there are other versions with the DS3, i20 or Fiesta, depending on the country.

Is it just me, or those headlights look like stickers?

Anyone else struggling with loads of understeer? I can't get rid of it in the 208 or Fiesta.

I dont have any problem at all in the 208 WRX ,.. every thing is working perfectly and very easy to handle :O

Well, now the RX pack is out we got already a little bit of a new DiRTy gossip :smile:

@jontucker was sending @hatward something on twitter,...

https://twitter.com/jontucker1/status/628263923091963904

Infact what Jon was sending was this:

https://instagram.com/p/57jNpmnF7V/

Now we all know Codemasters is already working on the Finland Rally update,... with some classic cars,

Could it be that the Mitsubishi lancer EVO 3/4/5/6,5 from Tommi Makinen is in that Patch? *gossipsss* #MaximumAttack

I wonder if that PvP event box I see greyed out will be able to handle more than 8 players at once...

macebig said:
Munnich S3 was mentioned when it was made clear why Ekstrom's S1couldnt be in.As for JRM Mini to have logos plastered around the game to no avail will be a little bit pointless,dont you think?

Uhm, for someone who haven't really followed this in the last month, what is the reason for no S1? I was under the impression that all WRX cars and drivers would be there, that includes Ford Focus, Renault Clio, SAAB 93, VW Beetle and Citroen C4 as well.

Myrvold said:
macebig said:

Uhm, for someone who haven't really followed this in the last month, what is the reason for no S1? I was under the impression that all WRX cars and drivers would be there, that includes Ford Focus, Renault Clio, SAAB 93, VW Beetle and Citroen C4 as well.
I'm not sure about the S1 confirmation, but as the works team is sponsored by EA it would be logical to assume licensing difficulties. We haven't heard anything about the others, but I wouldn't necessarily expect the 'smaller' championship entries, as they're not signed up to the teams entries of the series. The S3 would probably be more likely than the Mini, but both are reasonable guesses. Personally, I hope the resources are dedicated to more rally cars than rallycross cars though, so the fewer the better for me.

Was the Audi S1 mentioned in the DiRT Show at all? I could have missed it as I was still VERY pumped after playing the RX update! :)

I've asked Paul at Holjes what other RX cars will be added to the game. I'm pretty sure he told me, but I've forgotten...

I can't praise the RX update enough... I was really looking forward to driving these monstrous hatchbacks in DR, but the extent to which they are true to life exceeded my expectation. The tracks are modelled beautifully too: bumpy where I'd expect and with features which make the cars behave exactly as they would in real life.

I'm intrigued to find out what the racing will be like online in terms of collisions and penalties for cutting, but the fundamentals in handling and delivery of a BIG SMILE are there already!

Reading some other racing game forums just confirmed my suspicion with RX update: Codies have nailed it! Many thanks and sincere condolences to @tbtstt ...

Hatward tweeted me that Instagram clip posted by Jon T. and I didn't realise what it meant until @ThierryNeuville laid it out in front of me. It does seem as the roster of rally cars in DiRT Rally will see addition of the Ford Focus WRC and one of the Mitsibishi EVOs - very good choices indeed :)

macebig said:
Cheers @macebig  I missed the comment with regards to the  Munnich S3. I personally think its the least interesting car of the World Championship, but it would be brilliant if Codemasters included all the World teams. (OFF TOPIC: Very interested to see how Tommy Rustad gets on in the Munnich S3 in Canada this weekend).

Although I'm not a big fan of the look of the Countryman it would be a great car to have in the mix with its lower weight and smaller engine. 

Myrvold said:
I'm not certain, but I'm sure someone said that there was an issue with the licensing of the car?

It would be great to see all of the cars you have listed above in the game @Myrvold , but most of those car types you have listed have only been present at one or two rounds this year. All of the car types included with the first DiRT Rally rallycross pack (and the car we know is definitely coming in the second pack) have been present at every World Rallycross event this year. 

Reading some other racing game forums just confirmed my suspicion with RX update: Codies have nailed it! Many thanks and sincere condolences to @tbtstt ...
Thanks for your sympathy @GentleNameMVB , a realistic representation of rallycross is something I been wishing Codemasters would do for a very long time now: typical that I can't play it now they have done it!  Was watching some of the gameplay videos online last night, looks like they have really nailed it. 

Hopefully I'll be able to treat myself to a PS4 for Christmas: Codemasters should have announced the PS4 release of DiRT Rally by then.  ;)

I think was only mentioned that will be added 3 new cars on the next pack and one of them is the DS.

KickUp said:
I noticed that with unedited tuning files, the 037 still has a front differential, and the kit cars still have rear differentials. Asked about that ages ago and justbiglee said he'd tell the people who program the cars. Sadly there's never been any answer or feedback and now this supposed bug is still there after the RX update. Could any of you please give any feedback, and if only to tell why it's not been changed?

This has been answered in a few different places but seeing as you have called it out here I'll happily say it again. The handling files that you can see expose variables that the code is not necessarily looking at. The cars all start life using the same file but we then use our tools to tell the code what bits it should look at and what bits it should ignore. So a RWD car never looks at its front diff because it doesn't have one, so 100% of nothing is nothing. Same with the FWD cars 100% of nothing is nothing.

In a nutshell nothing has changed because it isn't a bug and it doesn't need fixing. People looking at those files are making assumptions without knowing the facts. In hindsight we should have encrypted them so that people couldn't even see them. I'll probably get them encrypted anyway but we just haven't got round to it yet.

Maybe you can encrypt Sylwesterp and REXY so we can't even see them. ;)

Or perhaps you already did, it's been a few days since I last saw them. :open_mouth: 
We have kind of done that. I don't want to go into too much detail but you shouldn't see cheat times on Online Event leaderboards from now on.

I've also got a little black book of Steam IDs that have consistenly registered cheat times and my ban hammer is getting twitchy.

Hatward said:
We have kind of done that. I don't want to go into too much detail but you shouldn't see cheat times on Online Event leaderboards from now on.

I've also got a little black book of Steam IDs that have consistenly registered cheat times and my ban hammer is getting twitchy.

Great stuff - I've not had the time for Dailies lately, but I'm glad you've called their mums and told them how naughty cheating in DR is!

Is the Black Book of Cheats in your desk drawer, right under a bucket of jelly turtles? ;]

I'm not sure whether this was asked/answered recently, but what is the latest on whether the Weekly/Monthly challenges could be modified so that there's no way of treating them like an inconvenient shoot-out with restarts?

Gotta re-watch the DiRT Show - there must be more Gossip in there!

Hatward said:

Did you ever know that you're my hero?

Time to start advertising DiRT Rally! haha

http://twitter.com/JJBruce_/status/628555700067766272

nice to see the cheats finally nailed.maybe a few will drive slower now ;) great to hear about the handling files being encrypted at some point.

Myrvold said:
macebig said:

Definitely not all that lot.
Don't think it was ever suggested the game would have anything but the FIA supercar class of WRX.

The fact that the S1 is sponsored by EA's Need For Speed shouldn't really a basis for saying it can't be in the game.
They livery can simply be modified not to have those logos, it's been done in the past with other games.
Many sponsors are already missing from real-world liveries in DiRT Rally, as they were in DiRT 3 as well.
The FIFA games are a good example. They don't feature every single sponsor on every single teams kit, but the team is still there.
Basically, a sponsor doesn't have the power to stop the FIA licensing out a car from their own series.