DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

BrySkye said:
Definitely not all that lot.
The FIA WRX Supercar class only has four cars: Ford Fiesta ST, VW Polo, Peugeot 208, Citroen DS3 and Audi S1.
It was never suggested that anything other than the actual FIA WRX cars would be available. 

The fact that the S1 is sponsored by EA's Need For Speed shouldn't really a basis for saying it can't be in the game.
They livery can simply be modified not to have those logos, it's been done in the past with other games.
Many sponsors are already missing from real-world liveries in the DiRT Rally, as they were in DiRT3 as well.
The FIFA games are a good example. They don't feature every single sponsor on every single teams kit, but the team is still there.
Basically, a sponsor doesn't have the power to stop the FIA licensing out a car from their own series.
From what I know the reason for absence of the Audi S1 in DiRT Rally has little to do with an EA sticker on Ekstrom's cars. The EKS team has racing game rigs in their paddock tent, but those rigs run Gran Turismo 6...

It's a shame, as those S1s look deadly and are competitive :)

BrySkye said:
The FIA WRX Supercar class only has four cars: Ford Fiesta ST, VW Polo, Peugeot 208, Citroen DS3 and Audi S1.
It was never suggested that anything other than the actual FIA WRX cars would be available. 

The fact that the S1 is sponsored by EA's Need For Speed shouldn't really a basis for saying it can't be in the game.
They livery can simply be modified not to have those logos, it's been done in the past with other games.
Many sponsors are already missing from real-world liveries in the DiRT Rally, as they were in DiRT3 as well.
The FIFA games are a good example. They don't feature every single sponsor on every single teams kit, but the team is still there.
Basically, a sponsor doesn't have the power to stop the FIA licensing out a car from their own series.
From what I know the reason for absence of the Audi S1 in DiRT Rally has little to do with an EA sticker on Ekstrom's cars. The EKS team has racing game rigs in their paddock tent, but those rigs run Gran Turismo 6...

So what? LMP teams have routinely had one racing sim or another set up as well and they are in multiple games.

In fact, the funny thing about that is that Sony/Polyphony Digital/Gran Turismo is not a partner of EKSRX
http://www.eksrx.com/#partners
So what your basically saying is that the team has racing game rigs in their paddock tent that run a competitor to one of the main partners. :P
If anything, I'd actually say that's encouraging, as well as somewhat hilarious.

BrySkye said:
BrySkye said:

So what? LMP teams have routinely had one racing sim or another set up as well and they are in multiple games.

In fact, the funny thing about that is that Sony/Polyphony Digital/Gran Turismo is not a partner of EKSRX
http://www.eksrx.com/#partners
So what your basically saying is that the team has racing game rigs in their paddock tent that run a competitor to one of the main partners. :P
If anything, I'd actually say that's encouraging, as well as somewhat hilarious.

I've mentioned the GT6 rigs as an argument that Need for Speed stickers on EKS Audis are not the likely reason for the licencing hurdle Codies are facing.

The hurdle is something else. It may not be a contractual block caused by other partnerships. It may be just a lack of willingness of parties involved to sort it out...

Or we're just assuming too much?

3 cars is a lot to add to the current line up. DS3 is one of them. There aren't really too many choices for the other 2.

Why not use Robin Larssons audi instead? He's not a part of EKSRX as far as I know

Having two different Audi RX cars is probably making it worse.

Audi-EKS licence   (Audi S1)
Audi-Larsson licence   (Audi A1)

Who owns the licence for the Audi RX car in World RX if there are three parties involved?

It worked out with Peugeot-Hansen 208 and Albatec's 208. Or, one of these two was just easy going with the licencing and was happy with just their livery being shown...

Anyways, this whole world of licencing seems like a maze and it is one of the areas, which devs can't/don't want to talk about...

Citroen DS3
Mini JRM
and something previously modelled in DiRT games
are my guesses

@justbiglee - can you let us know whether PvP and World RX expansion will come out at the same time? Or is there a chance we'd get one of these updates in the middle of this month?

That rather depends on the nature of the FIA license more than anything and how inclusive it is.
When you have a series license like that, it tends to include the cars which was one of the things TMG was talking about in those recent emails.
Teams and manufacturers that go against licensing deals the FIA have made is something that's frowned upon.

@justbiglee - can you let us know whether PvP and World RX expansion will come out at the same time? Or is there a chance we'd get one of these updates in the middle of this month?
The press releases that went out said they will happen at the same time.
This is how it was widely reported:
  • Simultaneous online multiplayer has not been introduced in today's update, however, with that due to arrive in a second World RX update coming at a later date.

Can someone explain to me what the cheaters were doing that constitutes cheating?

I have seen some suspiciously fast times...

I mean...I'm not THAT slow. 

P.S I really hope the next batch of Rally Cars are 97-98 Impreza WRC, Evo 5 & Focus '00. Memories of McRae 2!  

Loving some of the deducing! 

Every licensing deal is different and every licensor has different requirements. Without going into specifics we have tried to get the license for a lot of cars for DiRT Rally. While we have got many great cars in the game and we have many more to come there are a number that we have not been able to secure. All of these have specific reasons why which I cannot discuss. Suffice to say that some of these cars are obvious choices and in a perfect world we would have included them.

These constraints mean that we won't see these cars appearing in DiRT Rally however the ones that get away make me even more adamant to get them in future.

When an awesome and obvious car is not included in DiRT Rally please understand that it is almost always due to reasons beyond our control rather than poor decision making on our part.

KickUp said:

Every licensing deal is different and every licensor has different requirements. Without going into specifics we have tried to get the license for a lot of cars for DiRT Rally. While we have got many great cars in the game and we have many more to come there are a number that we have not been able to secure. All of these have specific reasons why which I cannot discuss. Suffice to say that some of these cars are obvious choices and in a perfect world we would have included them.

These constraints mean that we won't see these cars appearing in DiRT Rally however the ones that get away make me even more adamant to get them in future.

When an awesome and obvious car is not included in DiRT Rally please understand that it is almost always due to reasons beyond our control rather than poor decision making on our part.

Any chance you can PM me which rally cars you couldn't get ;) hopefully all the WRC that were originally planned are still on the list?

tbtstt said:
macebig said:
Munnich S3 was mentioned when it was made clear why Ekstrom's S1couldnt be in.As for JRM Mini to have logos plastered around the game to no avail will be a little bit pointless,dont you think?
Cheers @macebig  I missed the comment with regards to the  Munnich S3. I personally think its the least interesting car of the World Championship, but it would be brilliant if Codemasters included all the World teams. (OFF TOPIC: Very interested to see how Tommy Rustad gets on in the Munnich S3 in Canada this weekend).

Although I'm not a big fan of the look of the Countryman it would be a great car to have in the mix with its lower weight and smaller engine. 

Myrvold said:
Uhm, for someone who haven't really followed this in the last month, what is the reason for no S1? I was under the impression that all WRX cars and drivers would be there, that includes Ford Focus, Renault Clio, SAAB 93, VW Beetle and Citroen C4 as well.
I'm not certain, but I'm sure someone said that there was an issue with the licensing of the car?

It would be great to see all of the cars you have listed above in the game @Myrvold , but most of those car types you have listed have only been present at one or two rounds this year. All of the car types included with the first DiRT Rally rallycross pack (and the car we know is definitely coming in the second pack) have been present at every World Rallycross event this year. 

Reading some other racing game forums just confirmed my suspicion with RX update: Codies have nailed it! Many thanks and sincere condolences to @tbtstt ...
Thanks for your sympathy @GentleNameMVB , a realistic representation of rallycross is something I been wishing Codemasters would do for a very long time now: typical that I can't play it now they have done it!  Was watching some of the gameplay videos online last night, looks like they have really nailed it. 

Hopefully I'll be able to treat myself to a PS4 for Christmas: Codemasters should have announced the PS4 release of DiRT Rally by then.  ;)
Think it was @justbiglee said they couldn't get either either  Saab or the Volvo for the game?

BrySkye said:
Myrvold said:
macebig said:
Munnich S3 was mentioned when it was made clear why Ekstrom's S1couldnt be in.As for JRM Mini to have logos plastered around the game to no avail will be a little bit pointless,dont you think?

Uhm, for someone who haven't really followed this in the last month, what is the reason for no S1? I was under the impression that all WRX cars and drivers would be there, that includes Ford Focus, Renault Clio, SAAB 93, VW Beetle and Citroen C4 as well.
Don't think it was ever suggested the game would have anything but the FIA supercar class of WRX.

To be fair to @Myrvold all of the cars he has listed are types that have appeared in the Supercar class at World Rallycross events in the last 12 months @BrySkye ; however none of those cars are World Championship regulars, they have all been in the hands of one-off entrants only.
KickUp said:

Any chance you can PM me which rally cars you couldn't get ;) hopefully all the WRC that were originally planned are still on the list?
Probably better if the list was posted on the forum @Rallycameraman : at least then we'd know what cars not to pester @kickup to include! :smiley:  

tbtstt said:
I'm not certain, but I'm sure someone said that there was an issue with the licensing of the car?

It would be great to see all of the cars you have listed above in the game @Myrvold , but most of those car types you have listed have only been present at one or two rounds this year. All of the car types included with the first DiRT Rally rallycross pack (and the car we know is definitely coming in the second pack) have been present at every World Rallycross event this year. 
That was my thought as well, but I saw that Ole Christian Veiby's car was in the game, and he haven't done many WRX rounds either (ERX is where he drives). So I would really like, as this is now the official WRX game, that all WRX cars and drivers would be included.
Maybe for 2016, as I would guess, that it is a thing the promoter would like to see as well.

Just like when you are licensing WRC, you get the license for the championship, and all participants afaik.

Myrvold said: 
That was my thought as well, but I saw that Ole Christian Veiby's car was in the game, and he haven't done many WRX rounds either (ERX is where he drives). So I would really like, as this is now the official WRX game, that all WRX cars and drivers would be included.
Maybe for 2016, as I would guess, that it is a thing the promoter would like to see as well.

Just like when you are licensing WRC, you get the license for the championship, and all participants afaik.
I'm sure you'll get your wish further down the line, but bear in mind that not every series has the same licensing rules regarding its participants. In fact, the same rules don't necessarily cover all participants!

I suspect in this case, there are different rules regarding those with manufacturer/team entries to those privateer individuals also running.

As for the extra skins, I think we just treat those as a bonus, which we didn't have to get but add a bit more value for (relatively) little work.

tbtstt said:
Probably better if the list was posted on the forum @Rallycameraman : at least then we'd know what cars not to pester @kickup to include! :smiley:  
Not sure how much you're joking, but Paul pointed out that this wasn't possible, and if we want to see those cars in any future game I would hope it stays that way. One or two more might leak out in the meantime, but I suspect it will be more than obvious which manufacturers have been holding out by the car list come December.

Take a look here and treat it as an iSpy book; I suspect if any of these don't appear (maybe apart from Nissan and Saab) it's license related.

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/7413/manufacturers-conspicuous-by-their-absence/p1

couger1981 said:
Think it was @justbiglee said they couldn't get either either  Saab or the Volvo for the game?

IIRC Lee mentioned, in response to a question, that there were no Volvos planned, but I don't think it was a licensing thing.

KickUp said:

Really appreciate that post Paul, cheers.

KickUp said:

posts like this should be in a sticky thread at the top of the forum so we can send people to it who ask questions with regards to licensing and other things.

KickUp said:
You mean, in Dirt Rally's post-release future........................? :)

Why not use Robin Larssons audi instead? He's not a part of EKSRX as far as I know

It'll be the same update :)

Not sure how much you're joking, but Paul pointed out that this wasn't possible, and if we want to see those cars in any future game I would hope it stays that way. One or two more might leak out in the meantime, but I suspect it will be more than obvious which manufacturers have been holding out by the car list come December.

I was only joking @rodgerdavies: "outing" manufacturers might permanently rule them out, so it makes sense to keep the list out of the public eye. As you say, once we see what cars are coming, the list of stubborn manufacturers will likely be quite obvious.

Myrvold said: 

I'm sure you'll get your wish further down the line, but bear in mind that not every series has the same licensing rules regarding its participants. In fact, the same rules don't necessarily cover all participants!

I suspect in this case, there are different rules regarding those with manufacturer/team entries to those privateer individuals also running.

As for the extra skins, I think we just treat those as a bonus, which we didn't have to get but add a bit more value for (relatively) little work.
That I am quite aware of. There is a reason why Manor wasn't originally in F1 2015, and there is a reason why Kevin Magnussen isn't in it. And that's fair enough, slightly boring, but fair enough.

My hope however, is that we get an RX game (either standalone, or a part of something, like DiRT Rally) which includes all these kind of drivers, not only because it's slightly more realistic that way, but everyone should see the value of it. It is slightly easier to convince a sponsor to fork out that little bit extra, if you also can tell them that the car will be included in a game, that will reach millions (sales + youtube + social media +++) through a game as well as TV-coverage etc.

The goal should be to get everything like that in a game, or at least, that's my hope. I don't expect it. I just got a glimmer of hope when I saw Veiby included (and then a slight disappointment when Rustad wasn't included).

I've always, since I was 7yo dreamt of a proper RX game, I'm now 24, and it might happen. Though, the point-system needs to changed!