DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

25 minutes ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

To my knowledge, they are "discussing" (quoted after PTJ) about it internally.
In addition we know that they are doing some development around Oculus SDK for Steam version. But this info didn't come from CM.

In fact there is NO official statement that either one or second issue will be ever resolved

Though I believe they will do it, you are sharing false information right now.

Sorry, if that is the case I'll hold my hand up and edit - will see if I can find, but you may well be right.

Edit: I think both are covered in PJ's excellent post here: 

- First one, improvements are scheduled to be made in v1.9 (which elsewhere is confirmed to come next week)
- Second one, DLC for Oculus version is planned to come at a later date (confirmed since that dates aren't locked down yet)

---

Quick shout out to PJ for staying on top of these and updates and you @MaXyMsrpl are completely correct to ask for those sources, cheers for holding to account - if you don't think that post addresses it or I've interpreted it incorrectly, I'm happy to update my posts still.

Edited by RodgerDavies
clarifying source
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, RodgerDavies said:

So you acknowledge there aren't any other actually game-breaking bugs?

Are unreliable servers a "bug" in your opinion?

Don't wanna troll here, even if it sounds like that, just wanna create a discussion about that.

Is it only me, or are these servers really, really unreliable, especially on weekends?

Yesterday I had in the middle of a club rally between 2 stages RaceNet-issues. I mean ***? Why is there no way to post the time later, if the servers have a problem in that moment? There needs to be a backup feature, in case RaceNet is down. It destroyed the complete rally for me and now I'm frustrated again, like every week at least once.

But I see so little posts about the servers here, so I have the impression I'm just very unlucky with that...

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, koog2003 said:

PJ:  "As mentioned before, we're not in a position yet to announce exactly what the plans for Oculus DLC are yet. I get that it's frustrating to not know the details yet, however until things are finalised I can't say any more than what's publicly out there, sorry." 

This means there could also be NO DLCs at all ever for the Oculus version. How can you say it is being worked on if there is not even the slight confirmation that someone is working on it ?

They have comfirmed it though, on these forums, and on social media.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ialyrn said:

They have comfirmed it though, on these forums, and on social media.

I am wondering if this post is legally binding. It must be after all. There is the logo, the name and such so it has to be official. You must agree with me though that after 1 month and a half they could at least have the decency to say when or at least something like next month or for Christmas. I'd like to hear your opinion about it.  

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, koog2003 said:

I am wondering if this post is legally binding. It must be after all. There is the logo, the name and such so it has to be official. You must agree with me though that after 1 month and a half they could at least have the decency to say when or at least something like next month or for Christmas. I'd like to hear your opinion about it.  

Its highly possible they are having to create a new sale mechinism for use on the Oculus store version of the game. Judging by the information you shared in the other thread in regards to the DLC, along with those pictures from the testing pop up. It certainly leads me to think that way. If this is the case, then it makes sense they need more time to implement the DLC sale structure; and are most likely deep in the process and working with Oculus in order to make that happen. So chances are, they just dont have an ETA as of yet. And thats fine.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ialyrn said:

Its highly possible they are having to create a new sale mechinism for use on the Oculus store version of the game. Judging by the information you shared in the other thread in regards to the DLC, along with those pictures from the testing pop up. It certainly leads me to think that way. If this is the case, then it makes sense they need more time to implement the DLC sale structure; and are most likely deep in the process and working with Oculus in order to make that happen. So chances are, they just dont have an ETA as of yet. And thats fine.

And that would be acceptable ! But why not saying it then ? "We are in the process of finalizing the sales with Facebook on the Oculus Store. Soon DLCs available" => people happy.

Is it asking too much ? Instead we got almost complete silence and just one "at a later date" since 1.5 months. Why if they are "deep in the process" ?

Edited by koog2003
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

Just now, koog2003 said:

And that would be acceptable ! But why not saying it then ? "We are in the process of finalizing the sales with Facebook on the Oculus Store. Soon DLCs available" => people happy.

Is it asking too much ?

Actually, yes. As that leads into a potential trap of causing even more frustration from the playerbase. If they where to give out a date of say 3 months from now, then a week before its due to release they have to delay for whatever reason. You would again be frustrated by the situation. As much as you may want that DLC, it really is much better to just wait. I do understand the frustration.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

Are unreliable servers a "bug" in your opinion?

Don't wanna troll here, even if it sounds like that, just wanna create a discussion about that.

That's a fair (and politely asked) question - it's not something I've experienced (and I almost exclusively get to play at weekends), but definitely worth asking.

11 minutes ago, Ialyrn said:

Actually, yes. As that leads into a potential trap of causing even more frustration from the playerbase. If they where to give out a date of say 3 months from now, then a week before its due to release they have to delay for whatever reason. You would again be frustrated by the situation. As much as you may want that DLC, it really is much better to just wait. I do understand the frustration.

I'd like to add one more thing. I am willing to buy the Steam version without complaints if they add the Oculus SDK support. Fortunately I have a job and I can afford it lol. Again the game is really really nice. Sure you can say it has bugs yes but which does not ? They make something definitely good. That is the core reason why me and the other Oculus users want to have the DLCs and the world series so bad. It is a great game and we, exactly like you guys, love it. I think we are on the same boat and we should support each other. 

Edited by koog2003

43 minutes ago, koog2003 said:

@RodgerDavies

PJ:  "As mentioned before, we're not in a position yet to announce exactly what the plans for Oculus DLC are yet. I get that it's frustrating to not know the details yet, however until things are finalised I can't say any more than what's publicly out there, sorry." 

This means there could also be NO DLCs at all ever for the Oculus version. How can you say it is being worked on if there is not even the slight confirmation that someone is working on it ? 

The post I linked to says: "* All DiRT Rally 2.0 post release content will be made available for Oculus at a later date."

Now, just like with adding VR in the first place, they're no doubt having to work out a bunch of stuff to make sure it's available as soon as possible - I'm not going to even pretend to know what boring paperwork they have to fill out. But it's in everyone's interests for that to be done as soon as possible, so all I can advise is letting them do so and announcing it when they're able to.

Edited by RodgerDavies
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, koog2003 said:

I'd like to add one more thing. I am willing to buy the Steam version without complaints if they add the Oculus SDK support. Fortunately I have a job and I can afford it lol. Again the game is really really nice. Sure you can say it has bugs yes but which does not ? They make something definitely good. That is the core reason why me and the other Oculus users want to have the DLCs and the world series so bad. It is a great game and we, exactly like you guys, love it. 

I can fully understand why the world series isnt on the Oculus version to be honest, and thats because, far as I can tell, it has no desktop mode. That could make it difficult for some people to practice in the envroment the finals would be conducted in, which I assume will be via a single monitor.

4 minutes ago, koog2003 said:

I'd like to add one more thing. I am willing to buy the Steam version without complaints if they add the Oculus SDK support. Fortunately I have a job and I can afford it lol. Again the game is really really nice. Sure you can say it has bugs yes but which does not ? They make something definitely good. That is the core reason why me and the other Oculus users want to have the DLCs and the world series so bad. It is a great game and we, exactly like you guys, love it. I think we are on the same boat and we should support each other. 

For that, I advise waiting until the 1.9 update hits next week and asking people who have it to review it and see what (if any) improvements have been made. Like you, I'd love as many people as possible to be able to sample this excellent game, so hopefully we see you on the leaderboards soon 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, Ialyrn said:

I can fully understand why the world series isnt on the Oculus version to be honest, and thats because, far as I can tell, it has no desktop mode. That could make it difficult for some people to practice in the envroment the finals would be conducted in, which I assume will be via a single monitor.

Do you mean the finals will be not in VR but they will be held in a physical place during an event with all the players playing on a monitor ? Otherwise I dont really understand what you mean. 

@koog2003Where did I say that we have to shut up and accept things the way they are?

I was merely speculating, I wasn't telling anyone to shut up.

Edited by Malling

6 minutes ago, Malling said:

@koog2003Where did I say that we have to shut up and accept things the way they are?

I was merely speculating, I wasn't telling anyone to shut up.

Sorry man I might have got confused ! I answered and read so many posts of different people. My apologies @Malling

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, koog2003 said:

Do you mean the finals will be not in VR but they will be held in a physical place during an event with all the players playing on a monitor ? Otherwise I dont really understand what you mean.

Yes, this is exactly what he means.

GRAND FINALS
35. The Final round is a private event held at the Autosport International Show over the weekend of 11th/12th January 2020 and streamed live over the internet where drivers compete in person.

37. The competitors will compete all sessions in the Final on a provided PC racing station (“Rig”) with driver steering wheel and pedals. The Drivers will be allocated a Rig by the organisers in its sole discretion. Drivers will not be permitted to use any hardware outside of that provided by the organisers. Drivers may be expected to change Rigs between events, as directed by organisers (in its sole discretion).

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, koog2003 said:

That is exactly what they mean. Check out footage from things like F1 eSports, World's Fastest Gamer finals and Sim Racing Expo - where there's lots of competitors playing 'live and in person', they tend to use identical rigs with a single monitor each. And this post is pretty irrelevant anyway because I got beaten by @Mike Dee

Edited by Malling
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mike Dee said:

Yes, this is exactly what he means.

Wow. I mean if you get to become good in this game while playing in VR with your steering wheel it is going to be very hard to switch to a monitor I am afraid. It is really a world of difference @Mike Dee.

Edited by koog2003

3 minutes ago, koog2003 said:

Wow. I mean if you get to become good in this game while playing in VR and your steering wheel it is going to be very hard to switch to a monitor I am afraid. It is really a world of difference @Mike Dee.

Oh yeah, you don't have to tell me. I used to own a Rift before I resold it, and the spatial awareness VR adds is insane. You know exactly how big your car is on the stage and how much room you have everywhere.

The problem for me was the graphical fidelity of all games was **** compared to my 1440p monitors. VR destroyed my LODs, combo'd with the SDE and blurry objects made finding all of my braking points a pain in the ass. Overall I was just way faster on monitors so I resold the Rift to wait for a better quality headset. Been thinking of grabbing the Index but I don't know if it is high enough resolution yet to fix my problems or if my 1080ti will be able to manage the proper LODs.

30 minutes ago, Mike Dee said:

Oh yeah, you don't have to tell me. I used to own a Rift before I resold it, and the spatial awareness VR adds is insane. You know exactly how big your car is on the stage and how much room you have everywhere.

The problem for me was the graphical fidelity of all games was **** compared to my 1440p monitors. VR destroyed my LODs, combo'd with the SDE and blurry objects made finding all of my braking points a pain in the ass. Overall I was just way faster on monitors so I resold the Rift to wait for a better quality headset. Been thinking of grabbing the Index but I don't know if it is high enough resolution yet to fix my problems or if my 1080ti will be able to manage the proper LODs.

I am so much in a similar situation. Racing in VR is a great experience. The spacial awareness and the sense of speed is amazing but sometimes I get fed up of being able to see the pixels and all the imperfections and the low level of details. I have two monitors 28'' 4k and I play other games on them and that does not feel like back to 2000 at all 🙂 I'd like to upgrade from the Rift but there is nothing that you can call a real reason to upgrade. This is not VR 2.0 this is like VR 1.4. Yes resolution might be a bit better but all the rest is exactly the same. Same limitations same everything. The sad news is that we might have to wait 2 years from now before seeing something really innovating landing on the market.

Edited by koog2003
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Madhun1967 said:

Isnt the new Oculus 4k ? 

The Rift S has a slightly higher-resolution screen than the original Rift, at 1280 x 1440 pixels per eye instead of 1200 x 1080. Very far away from 4k. 

1 minute ago, Madhun1967 said:

Isnt the new Oculus 4k ? 

No, not even close. Unless there is a new secret model that hasn't been officially announced, the Rift 2 (which was internal dev only) was the closest they'd get. The new Rift S and Quest are basically the same as the original Rift, minimal gains with lots of "gotchyas" on each end.

Best chance of seeing real high fidelity VR is going PiMaxx or waiting for some of the new HP Reverb style headsets - all of which are going to cost you a lot more and the performance cost will be an even bigger jump than the price.

well i have the Rift and was just hoping for a 4k set to buy.What about the many chinese ones out there that claim 4k ? anyone has them ?