DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Not DiRTy Gossip as such, but I know the World Rallycross Championship is in Hell this weekend and it's two weeks until the British Rallycross Championship is at Lydden and three until the World Rallycross is in France.

Any planned CM presence at any of the above @justbiglee and @KickUp ? 

tbtstt said:
Not DiRTy Gossip as such, but I know the World Rallycross Championship is in Hell this weekend and it's two weeks until the British Rallycross Championship is at Lydden and three until the World Rallycross is in France.

The game is going to be in Hell - we can't make it though. No idea about Lydden yet.

3 years ago I was witness to Petter Solberg absolutely torturing a Fiesta WRC. Had to film it on my phone as all our camera equipment was packed away as it was right at the end of the day

https://youtu.be/pyLngjtXAiA

This post by @justbiglee on reddit is well worth a read for those didn't know the story behind what the game was called while in development...

https://www.reddit.com/r/dirtgame/comments/3hbbbx/daily_delta_question/cu6cmq6

It's community driven and based on how all the players perform.

Fun fact - The pre-release prototype version of DiRT Rally was called DiRT Delta and the whole career in the game revolved around competing against the community set deltas for each stage.
While we were deciding what to call the version of the game you're now playing the name "DiRT Delta" got benched and was replaced by DiRT Pulse, this made a lot of people very angry and was widely regarded as a bad idea.

I kept fighting for it to be named DiRT Delta because I thought it had a lot of cool hooks to it... Forth letter of the Greek Alphabet, the in-game community Delta, Lancia Delta is the most successful ever rally car and it has a nice kinda gaming thing to it Alpha, Beta... Delta thinking our early access period would be "better than a Beta".

It wasn't to be though, people felt it made no sense and the term Delta didn't mean anything and we settled on DiRT Rally because the game shares more in common with the Colin McRae Rally bloodline than the duuuuuddddde DiRT 2 & 3 bloodline (which is why it's not called DiRT 4). The orange of the "rally" in the logo being a nod to the first Colin McRae DiRT too.

DiRT Delta still lives on though, there are little nods to it here and there and now you know the story you'll start to spot a few more of them maybe.

Really proud of the game we've made though regardless of what it was called, DiRT Rally fits - it does exactly what it says on the tin and you kinda know what you're getting just from the name.

So there you go, the story of DiRT Delta and what would become DiRT Rally.

I will never forget the first time I heard they thought of calling it DiRT Pulse. Sure we can laugh about it now, but back then, they were dark times man.

dwkGravey said:
This sounds gossipy:

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution - any plans to add one?
justbiglee:
mehbe...
Honestly they are all maybe except for confirmed NOs.  Toyota doesn't want to play, and Volvo isn't going to happen for what ever reason, also Porsche we know will never happen until EA/Porsche relationship ends and Porsche marketing want to be more aggressive.  

This post by @justbiglee on reddit is well worth a read for those didn't know the story behind what the game was called while in development...

https://www.reddit.com/r/dirtgame/comments/3hbbbx/daily_delta_question/cu6cmq6

It's community driven and based on how all the players perform.

Fun fact - The pre-release prototype version of DiRT Rally was called DiRT Delta and the whole career in the game revolved around competing against the community set deltas for each stage.
While we were deciding what to call the version of the game you're now playing the name "DiRT Delta" got benched and was replaced by DiRT Pulse, this made a lot of people very angry and was widely regarded as a bad idea.

I kept fighting for it to be named DiRT Delta because I thought it had a lot of cool hooks to it... Forth letter of the Greek Alphabet, the in-game community Delta, Lancia Delta is the most successful ever rally car and it has a nice kinda gaming thing to it Alpha, Beta... Delta thinking our early access period would be "better than a Beta".

It wasn't to be though, people felt it made no sense and the term Delta didn't mean anything and we settled on DiRT Rally because the game shares more in common with the Colin McRae Rally bloodline than the duuuuuddddde DiRT 2 & 3 bloodline (which is why it's not called DiRT 4). The orange of the "rally" in the logo being a nod to the first Colin McRae DiRT too.

DiRT Delta still lives on though, there are little nods to it here and there and now you know the story you'll start to spot a few more of them maybe.

Really proud of the game we've made though regardless of what it was called, DiRT Rally fits - it does exactly what it says on the tin and you kinda know what you're getting just from the name.

So there you go, the story of DiRT Delta and what would become DiRT Rally.

Dirt Delta would have been good. Though I probably would have done some research before buying. Dirt Rally though...that was an instant flip of the wallet. No questions asked. :smiley: 

Benniz said:
Too bad you'll not be there, I'll have to sit alone gaming then ;)
You're going to Hell @Benniz ? Entry list looks really strong, should be a great weekend. Don't forget to take some pictures! 

I'm hoping DiRT will be at Lydden so I can finally have a go at the rallycross! :smiley: 

KickUp said:
tbtstt said:

The game is going to be in Hell - we can't make it though. No idea about Lydden yet.

@KickUp Is this ambitious idea discussed with Bakkerud's PR guy going ahead?

That tweet about further improvements in handling is making very excited. I personally find it hard to believe that some significant improvements can be made - to me it's already rather sweet :)

I guess it would be a good bet to say that the PvP update with Hell will come out next week. I 'suspect' racing against other players will be great fun :)

I hope it's next week rather than the last day of the month (when I go on holiday)

Hopefully if it's next week there'll be another dirt show, I'm praying for some info regarding Finland. 

tbtstt said:
You're going to Hell @Benniz ? Entry list looks really strong, should be a great weekend. Don't forget to take some pictures!
We're all going to hell some day

From the DiRT Facebook page...

...so that's two of the three cars in the second rallycross pack confirmed!

Can't wait to try them :D                                       

Yess mini! I guess i really was on to something when i noticed the JRM bilboards. But anyway really looking forward to this one. And rain too. one of the big things that was missing in the previous pack

Can't wait till the RallyX updates are done.  With the teases of changes made to the stages of Finland, possible physics updates for the rally cars, and just it being friggen Finland I can't wait!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrCEhRNgGHY

https://youtu.be/tYx5mphHAiw