DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

10 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

Hopefully SMS will teach Codies how to put an FoV slider into their console releases, let alone the rest of the superb camera options that Pcars 2 has on all formats... 

Is PCARS2 30 or 60fps on consoles? 

31 minutes ago, bogani said:

Is PCARS2 30 or 60fps on consoles? 

LOL, 60 for sure. Only amateurs create 30 FPS racing games.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Johnnnn said:

LOL, 60 for sure. Only amateurs create 30 FPS racing games.

Like WRC8 for example 👀

• Haha 5

41 minutes ago, MattyH1812 said:

Like WRC8 for example 👀

Exactly. It's sad because I would like to play it.

It also depends on camera you use. I normally use bumper even if it's a bit strange, but 30 FPS with bumper is not playable because of fast moves. For the camera in the air and behind the car, it's much better (less moving). That's the solution I use for old Horizons. But I won't play rally from behind the car 😄 Overall every racing game should have at least 60 FPS. New Xbox could bring 100+ FPS as they announced but who knows. Casuals don't care about FPS at all - they don't see/feel the difference 😄

The first time I’ve played wrc8 I hated it so much...really bad frame rate and awful steering wheel feedback 

I recently gave him another chance,solved the FPS issue and set properly the wheel,and honestly it’s been 2 days that I’m having a blast with it (at least on tarmac)

I switched to the dark side...I’m sorry ç_ç

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, AlexSpartan316 said:

The first time I’ve played wrc8 I hated it so much...really bad frame rate and awful steering wheel feedback 

I recently gave him another chance,solved the FPS issue and set properly the wheel,and honestly it’s been 2 days that I’m having a blast with it (at least on tarmac)

I switched to the dark side...I’m sorry ç_ç

You were supposed to destroy the WRC games, not join them! Bring balance to the driving sims, not leave it in arcade popcorn! 

Just joking, I've heard that game is actually not bad at all

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Johnnnn said:

It is a **** game no worries. DR2 is infinitely superior. No comparisons and like it is not bad enough WRC8 did not even implement VR. Live in the past .. fools

Edited by koog2003

1 hour ago, carpa said:

Just joking, I've heard that game is actually not bad at all

I tried it. No VR = Garbage imho. No VR No buy. It is almost 2020 for Christ's sake and there are still plenty of software houses still not making VR support in their games which is stupid not to say totally obsolete.

Edited by koog2003

Isnt the graphic engine they using locked to 60 fps or something like that? If im not wrong about that its a reason in itself that vr wont be implemented for wrc 8.

10 minutes ago, somethingthing said:

Isnt the graphic engine they using locked to 60 fps or something like that? If im not wrong about that its a reason in itself that vr wont be implemented for wrc 8.

Could be man but the fact it has no VR, which makes it a total no go for me. No VR No buy. 

Edited by koog2003

image.png.1367e1e16950a72d693a089213713d8a.png

I would say DR2 def has tough competitors like Stormland, Asgard's Wrath but as per now it is the best VR game of the year., 

Edited by koog2003

18 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Austin is still around, doing some YouTube videos, sharing opinions and stuff.

Less combative than PRC, but he’s still got opinions on racing games and isn’t afraid to share them 🙂 

Side-note: PRC was where I was first convinced of how good DiRT Rally was, got insights there I wouldn’t get from reviews. 

I completely forgot about his YouTube channel. I at least liked most of the articles for outing the community as being vehemently toxic and just the worst. Like that Domino's Pizza delivery guy that maxed out a credit card or two to build an iRacing simulator in his basement and no one told him that was a terrible idea and instead kept egging him on into debt. Also the stagnation of the "genre" as a whole, but he gave credit where it was due.

16 hours ago, Pfei said:

He's active on GT Planet. He pops in once in a while to hype things up. GTP users tend to be less toxic than the people that hung out at Pretend Race Cars 😂

However, this acquisition thread on GTP has been met with a lot of skepticism. So instead of hyping, he was pretty quiet. 

Interesting. I don't really follow the sim racing sites much anymore because it tends to be... self reciprocating and the sims I have aren't being actively worked on anymore. I knew PC2 did pretty well and was certainly regarded as being much better than the first. And again, Ian seems to have learned to stay pretty quiet which is good. I'm still bummed that Phil Fish will never make Fez 2 because he said some mean things and people on the internet went apeshit.

16 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

Hopefully SMS will teach Codies how to put an FoV slider into their console releases, let alone the rest of the superb camera options that Pcars 2 has on all formats... 

Didn't Dirt Rally have a FOV slider on console?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Johnnnn said:

It also depends on camera you use. I normally use bumper even if it's a bit strange, but 30 FPS with bumper is not playable because of fast moves. For the camera in the air and behind the car, it's much better (less moving). That's the solution I use for old Horizons. But I won't play rally from behind the car 😄 Overall every racing game should have at least 60 FPS. New Xbox could bring 100+ FPS as they announced but who knows. Casuals don't care about FPS at all - they don't see/feel the difference 😄

Forza Horizon is 30 and it feels pretty great. Compared to when I get 70fps in AC and I get half second long screen tears and turns feel like a slide show. I have no idea what causes it, but it really makes it unplayable. I'll take Forzas perfect 30 to AC's god awful 70 any day.

1 hour ago, koog2003 said:

I tried it. No VR = Garbage imho. No VR No buy. It is almost 2020 for Christ's sake and there are still plenty of software houses still not making VR support in their games which is stupid not to say totally obsolete.

Ew. I love the entitlement these VR guys have, but that's not an argument I want to start again. Holy hell that was annoying.

• Agree 2

On 11/29/2019 at 10:22 AM, richie said:

PC2 is a lot better than the 'voice on the street' says. There's a lot of fake news around spread by haters. PC2 surely isn't perfect, it's a huge game with tons of tracks and variations, another ton or two of cars and features so the challenges were too much.

reminds me of DR2.

27 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Forza Horizon is 30 and it feels pretty great. Compared to when I get 70fps in AC and I get half second long screen tears and turns feel like a slide show. I have no idea what causes it, but it really makes it unplayable. I'll take Forzas perfect 30 to AC's god awful 70 any day.

Ew. I love the entitlement these VR guys have, but that's not an argument I want to start again. Holy hell that was annoying.

well said, all of it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 11/27/2019 at 2:19 PM, AlexSpartan316 said:

I will pay way more for a well done new rally location...no problem. Something fun and super technical like idk rally Corsica...something with really tight hairpins and roads barely larger than your car (and with tight I mean turns where you have to really rotate the car and be precise,unless you want to get stuck )

You mean an Irish rally then 😉hedges higher than the car ,grass on the middle of the road and muck and stones pulled out over the road from the the 1st few cars to make it extra slippy, if anyone wants to see any videos of irish events just look at flyinn Finn motorsport on YouTube. Corsica is iconic too

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, ianism said:

well said, all of it.

I try.

so due to PJ's reminder, I looked up Austin on YT and found this;

Untitled.png.e4a40bb961565f7035e25b9f5af01787.png

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

It feels like normal 30 FPS correctly made game. Screen tearing is awful. You can solve tearing with v-sync, but it could be a bit problematic on PC what I heard, because it works a bit strange sometimes (in game option/drivers option/VR stuff, etc.). It's funny, I forgot about tearing because I didn't support games without v-sync 😄 X1 X had in features it enables v-sync for everything which is good.

Current Horizon has 60 FPS and that's the main reason why I have to play it almost every day. It's sooo good.

And Xbox has free-sync, which is good too.

Edited by Johnnnn

33 minutes ago, Johnnnn said:

It feels like normal 30 FPS correctly made game. Screen tearing is awful. You can solve tearing with v-sync, but it could be a bit problematic on PC what I heard, because it works a bit strange sometimes (in game option/drivers option/VR stuff, etc.). It's funny, I forgot about tearing because I didn't support games without v-sync 😄 X1 X had in features it enables v-sync for everything which is good.

Current Horizon has 60 FPS and that's the main reason why I have to play it almost every day. It's sooo good.

And Xbox has free-sync, which is good too.

In my experience, Vsync is really cool in Assetto Corsa, because it's so **** and runs so poorly that if you drop below 60 it halves your framerate down to 30, and below 30, it drops to 15. So if you move between 29-31 or 59-61 it constantly bounces around feels god awful. It also tends to add input delays and all sorts of other stuff. I haven't played a lot of other games necessarily, but I have a 144 Hz monitor and the only game I've played that feels super smooth to me is Destiny 2 at ~80FPS.

For the record, I play AC and every other sim in triple screen, and AC is the only one that has such problems. It's okay on a single monitor, but when I got a triple setup explicitly to use it it's kind of a waste.

And Horizon 4 is only 60fps on OneX and PC isn't it?

24 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

In my experience, Vsync is really cool in Assetto Corsa, because it's so **** and runs so poorly that if you drop below 60 it halves your framerate down to 30, and below 30, it drops to 15. So if you move between 29-31 or 59-61 it constantly bounces around feels god awful. It also tends to add input delays and all sorts of other stuff. I haven't played a lot of other games necessarily, but I have a 144 Hz monitor and the only game I've played that feels super smooth to me is Destiny 2 at ~80FPS.

For the record, I play AC and every other sim in triple screen, and AC is the only one that has such problems. It's okay on a single monitor, but when I got a triple setup explicitly to use it it's kind of a waste.

And Horizon 4 is only 60fps on OneX and PC isn't it?

Exactly, it has some problems on PC. After 60 you shouldn't get 30 directly but it's possible in some situations. That's good on consoles that performance is very smooth.

Input lag is possible but it depends on the sync. If you have 62 and sync to 60, it's OK but if you have 170 and sync to 60, it's not good 😄 There are some solutions but commonly it's not that easy. If you have 144 Hz monitor it's better to have 144+ FPS.

FreeSync could help with it so if you have 58, it's not a problem. Still you need more consistent frame rate.

Triple screen could be another trouble maker 😄

Sure, X1X is the only option today. S and old one are too slow. I have one S and Motorsports are great there but other games would be pretty bad.

If you think that one's good, wait till you see the Season 4 Stage 2 design 😎

• Like 3
  • Disagree 1