DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Yeah, that's late 98 Subaru used in San Remo, Australia and GB. So most likely the last event with McRae and Subaru. But still with H-pattern, paddle shift came mid 99 season.

At least if it's the S4, it means a h-pattern gearbox isntead of the sequential one in the S5.

Would be pretty unique to have an h-pattern car in the 2000cc class

2 minutes ago, RintasTimppa said:

Yeah, that's late 98 Subaru used in San Remo, Australia and GB. So most likely the last event with McRae and Subaru. But still with H-pattern, paddle shift came mid 99 season.

Wasn't the S5 with the sequential paddle tested at the end of the 98 season ?

Edited by RookieOne

1 minute ago, RookieOne said:

At least if it's the S4, it means a h-pattern gearbox isntead of the sequential one in the S5.

Would be pretty unique to have an h-pattern car in the 2000cc class

Did'nt the S5 with the sequential paddle tested at the end of the 98 season ?

Maybe tested, but not used in WRC events.

True, but the paddle was introduced in the WRC99 from the start. car was introduced with it at the start of the 99 season

13 minutes ago, RookieOne said:

True, but the paddle was introduced in the WRC99 from the start. car was introduced with it at the start of the 99 season

Paddle shift was first time used at Round 5 Catalunya.

So, I can't deny that I expected more, like a new Season. But I can't say I'm unhappy either. The S4 and a new challenging Rally location? Hell yeah bring it on!
Though saying "final boss" for Scotlands difficulty is a bold claim in a game which has El Condor. I hope you're not over exagerating.
Since it is not a WRC location, can you say which real-world stages have been used for the two long stages in the game? Drummond Hill (13km) and Craigvinean (16,5km) ?

Anyhow, just two cars coming and this being the final content for the game, might I propose a compromise solution for the classes? @PJTierney
How about you add TWO identical S4 cars, one in 2000's and one in Group A, While also duplicating the Evo VI and placing the duplicate in 2000's ? This would prevent the need for a leaderboard reset, as only new entries come into classes. But it would allow the millenial fights of the iconic cars.  (S4 vs. Focus/ Evo vs. Focus/ Evo vs S7/ 206 vs S4)

Then only the option for selective ban of cars in clubs would be needed to recreate certain years.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, SkyRex said:

Though saying "final boss" for Scotlands difficulty is a bold claim in a game which has El Condor. I hope you're not over exagerating.

From what I've seen, there are sections of Scotland you'll be swearing at for weeks.

(Not unlike when you visit Scotland and people swear at you for weeks).

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

37 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

From what I've seen, there are sections of Scotland you'll be swearing at for weeks.

Yeah but I just started a stage in Finland and crashed into the advertising arch at the start, so that doesn’t really mean a lot to me

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

Bear in mind that all car names are approved by the manufacturers, and I’d trust SUBARU to know which car it is 😉 

I wouldn't be so sure: the "S" designation was Prodrive nomenclature, not SUBARU @PJTierney

I have received a reply from an ex-Prodrive guy I reached a out to earlier this week, I'll post up the details as soon as I get home! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, tbtstt said:

I have received a reply from an ex-Prodrive guy I reached a out to earlier this week, I'll post up the details as soon as I get home! 

You nerd 😄 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

49 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Are we supposed to swear Solberg style or McRae style ?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SkyRex said:

How about you add TWO identical S4 cars, one in 2000's and one in Group A, While also duplicating the Evo VI and placing the duplicate in 2000's ? This would prevent the need for a leaderboard reset, as only new entries come into classes. But it would allow the millenial fights of the iconic cars.  (S4 vs. Focus/ Evo vs. Focus/ Evo vs S7/ 206 vs S4)

This but the duplicate doesn’t go in the 2000s group, rather one group with the Evo, 206 and Focus 😉

2 hours ago, RintasTimppa said:

Maybe tested, but not used in WRC events.

Ari Vatanen used it at RallyGB in 1998. 

1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

You nerd 😄 

And proud! :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

Talking about groups, I hope there will be an option for custom events where both RX Supercar classes can be selected next to both current options. 

Right @KryspaPL, @dani211212, @Malling, @Snoopy43, @RintasTimppa, @RookieOne and @PJTierney (and anyone else with any interest in Subaru rally cars), gather round, because I have a snippet of Impreza information for you...

...so, as I mentioned earlier, I have been asking around for a while now to try and figure the "S" number thing out and, after posting on a rally page on Facebook, I was given a couple of names to contact. One of those names was Martyn Spurrell: Martin was an engineer for Prodrive during the SWRT-era, former MD at Autosportif, Impreza WRCar owner and now deals in rally cars, so he knows his stuff. I sent him a message a few days ago and heard nothing until earlier this evening.

Martin confirmed that Prodrive used the S5 designation for the WRC97, WRC98 and WRC99 Impreza rally cars. Much like the Audi "S1 E2" thing, he has seen the wrong S4 (and now S3) designation spread around the internet (and into print media as well), but there isn't really a lot he can do to correct it (he has pointed out that several ex-Prodrive guys have posted about it online, but they have gone unnoticed).

What Martin says ties in with the Impreza WRCar specification list on Subaru WRC Spares, which starts at S5, but raises another question: why do the numbers start at S5?

Well it turns out Prodrive used an "S" designation for their earlier Subaru rally programs; S1 was the Group A Legacy, S2 was the Group N Legacy and S3 was the Group A Impreza. Considering that each of these individual cars had the same "S" number for their entire lifespan, it kind of makes sense that Prodrive applied S5 to the WRC97, WRC98 and WRC99 as each were minor evolutions of the original World Rally Car design, where the WRC2000 was a complete ground up redesign. 

And S4? There wasn't one. Prodrive skipped it and neither Martin, nor anyone else he knows from Prodrive, has any idea why! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 13
  • Haha 3

Haha, i wanted to laugh at that last line as well, but a thanking will have to do 🙂

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

Haha, i wanted to laugh at that last line as well, but a thanking will have to do 🙂

I got u

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Bear in mind that all car names are approved by the manufacturers, and I’d trust SUBARU to know which car it is 😉 

Sorry PJ, Audi taught us not to...

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, tbtstt said:

Right @KryspaPL, @dani211212, @Malling, @Snoopy43, @RintasTimppa, @RookieOne and @PJTierney (and anyone else with any interest in Subaru rally cars), gather round, because I have a snippet of Impreza information for you...

...so, as I mentioned earlier, I have been asking around for a while now to try and figure the "S" number thing out and, after posting on a rally page on Facebook, I was given a couple of names to contact. One of those names was Martyn Spurrell: Martin was an engineer for Prodrive during the SWRT-era, former MD at Autosportif, Impreza WRCar owner and now deals in rally cars, so he knows his stuff. I sent him a message a few days ago and heard nothing until earlier this evening.

Martin confirmed that Prodrive used the S5 designation for the WRC97, WRC98 and WRC99 Impreza rally cars. Much like the Audi "S1 E2" thing, he has seen the wrong S4 (and now S3) designation spread around the internet (and into print media as well), but there isn't really a lot he can do to correct it (he has pointed out that several ex-Prodrive guys have posted about it online, but they have gone unnoticed).

What Martin says ties in with the Impreza WRCar specification list on Subaru WRC Spares, which starts at S5, but raises another question: why do the numbers start at S5?

Well it turns out Prodrive used an "S" designation for their earlier Subaru rally programs; S1 was the Group A Legacy, S2 was the Group N Legacy and S3 was the Group A Impreza. Considering that each of these individual cars had the same "S" number for their entire lifespan, it kind of makes sense that Prodrive applied S5 to the WRC97, WRC98 and WRC99 as each were minor evolutions of the original World Rally Car design, where the WRC2000 was a complete ground up redesign. 

And S4? There wasn't one. Prodrive skipped it and neither Martin, nor anyone else he knows from Prodrive, has any idea why! 

Neeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrddddddddd!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Achievement Name Description Gamerscore
Building a Legacy Roll the SUBARU Legacy RS 3 times on a single stage in Finland, and finish. 5
If in Doubt... Complete every scenario on any difficulty. 50
...Flatout Complete every scenario on very hard difficulty. 50
In Its Element Complete the 1995 Wales Scenario in Colin McRae's SUBARU Impreza 1995. 20
Secret Achievement Continue playing to unlock this achievement. 50

26 minutes ago, dani211212 said:
Achievement Name Description Gamerscore
Building a Legacy Roll the SUBARU Legacy RS 3 times on a single stage in Finland, and finish. 5
If in Doubt... Complete every scenario on any difficulty. 50
...Flatout Complete every scenario on very hard difficulty. 50
In Its Element Complete the 1995 Wales Scenario in Colin McRae's SUBARU Impreza 1995. 20
Secret Achievement Continue playing to unlock this achievement. 50

Secret one is the best one @EvansR5

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mats27 said:

Secret one is the best one @EvansR5

Oh yes it is ;)))))))))))))))

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, RodgerDavies said:

Sorry PJ, Audi taught us not to...

This isn't the first time I have seen Subaru (sorry, SUBARU, @PJTierney :classic_wink:) make a blunder. Subaru USA put out a video on the 22B a few years ago and it was full of (really obvious) errors. 

That said, I would assume that all licensing passes through Subaru Japan. 

1 hour ago, RallyDriven said:

Neeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrddddddddd!

Given the subject material, I take that entirely as a complement! :classic_biggrin:

From this Morning till now, i watched more than 20 times trailer :) its just awsome!

I am just sad that this is the End Road for DR 2.0. it was a nice ride, and will be driving till next game of course. 

@PJTierney may i ask, are we gonna get some special Liveries with Flat Out Pack? the MG livery from trailer is New? is there hope For Focus Martini Inspired livery?  and does Legacy get the Blue SUBARU Livery also?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1