DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

8 hours ago, JorritVD said:

Just got this video recommended on YouTube 

hm, it was ultra close until the last lap. McRae must've made a mistake there somewhere

Edited by ianism

On 2/4/2020 at 10:39 AM, Mike Dee said:

If all goes well, I'd expect to see a DR3 type title in 2021 Q4. We've got next gen consoles dropping at the end of this year, give devs about another year to really flesh out their games on the new platforms and we'll hopefully be getting a new engine in that timeframe too. The purchase of SMS by CM is perfect timing to get that team working on a new engine. They need to drop all support for current gen though, trying to even shoehorn it in will ruin anything they could achieve without it.

Their purchase of the Evo Studio guys was a perfect time to make a new engine, which I think they did, used it for their one rather impressive game, and then shut it all down.

On 2/4/2020 at 3:43 PM, ianism said:

image.png.d4841b40c12989797c453f207288154a.png

Yeah, well after the EA Porsche deal...

16 hours ago, RodgerDavies said:

a) not if you're not into that sort of thing they're not

b) I don't mean an exact replica, I mean that... 'more relaxed' style

Oh, based on nothing concrete, just gut feel - I don't think it will be a direct Dirt Rally continuation. Anyway, I suspect whatever it is is a while away and I have plenty of DR2 to enjoy in the meantime!

Outside of Horizon making a major shift into "appealing" to hipster D bags, the driving is pretty fun. I boot up Driver San Francisco and just drive around. That does lead to problem 2 though, the Horizon series has gotten more and more straight roads with very little character to them. I still think the first game is the most fun to drive with tighter winding roads.

I'd say it's likely that next is D5. Makes sense to switch it up every release, but given the very lackluster reviews of D4 I also wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.

I think games like Horizon and NFS are dominating the arcade market right now. If games like the original GRID or Dirt 2/3 released today, I doubt they would do anywhere near as well as they did when they first came out. I feel like dirt 4’s option of arcade and sim options was brilliant, but unfortunately something didn’t work with the sim handling. Dirt Rally 3 has got to be the most sensible option for me, although sales figures between DR1, DR2 and D4 could influence decisions. Anyone know how well they all performed?

5 hours ago, ianism said:

hm, it was ultra close until the last lap. McRae must've made a mistake there somewhere

Even McRae cannot defeat the S11! :classic_biggrin:

It is interesting that all 2000cc cars have affiliation with either Burns, Solberg or McRae, except for the 2007 Focus RS.

Ford Focus RS Rally 2001 > McRae (but also Solberg)
Subaru Impreza (2001) > Burns and Solberg
Citroën C4 Rally > Solberg livery
Škoda Fabia Rally 2005 > McRae
Ford Focus RS Rally 2007 > . 
Subaru Impreza (2008) > Solberg
Peugeot 206 Rally (DLC) > Burns
Subaru Impreza S4 Rally > McRae (but also Burns)

I wonder if there ever was a consideration to put in the Solberg Focus livery from 2000.

Also intereting is that just one 2000cc car is missing than from the list, and that is the Citroën Xsara, that both Solberg and McRae drove.

------

In other news, i did a bit of V-Rally 3 yesterday. It has such a great line-up of 2.0L cars, including the 2000 Impreza as a Bonus.

image.thumb.png.f5e8ade3ae42cc2f9baf7b5e40747ae4.png

It is just a shame those physics in the game are pretty ****, as i said before, I would have still played the game if that would be at least reasonable.

I also wonder how i got so many championships in the career mode with these physics. 
- 1x 1st in the 1.6L class with the MG
- 3rd in first 2.0L season with SEAT
- First 2.0L title with a 206
- Than 3 titles with a Focus
- Than 2 titles with the Impreza
- and than another title in season 9 with my comeback at SEAT.
I believe you can do 10 season, so i still could go for one more. But after i tried the game again yesterday, i don't think i will come any near close to a championship again.

I just saw a video on YouTube though, and it seems that steering with the D-Pad might be better than using joystick. So i will give that a try once.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Their purchase of the Evo Studio guys was a perfect time to make a new engine, which I think they did, used it for their one rather impressive game, and then shut it all down.

Our Cheshire studio is still up and running, I was up visiting a few weeks ago.

15 minutes ago, JorritVD said:

It is interesting that all 2000cc cars have affiliation with either Burns, Solberg or McRae, except for the 2007 Focus RS.

Subaru Impreza S5 Rally > McRae (but also Burns)

I wonder if there ever was a consideration to put in the Solberg Focus livery from 2000.

Also intereting is that just one 2000cc car is missing than from the list, and that is the Citroën Xsara, that both Solberg and McRae drove.

1) Solberg did drove Focus mk2  in ROC 2007  (and His Brother did drive Focus WRC MK2 few years)

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Petter_Solberg_-_2007_Race_of_Champions.jpg 

2) the S4 Number was skiped due SUBARU SVX, so its S5 Impreza

3) the Licence isn't cheap for Xsara, but it was less than C4 Rally!

i think CM did move to quick on Next Game Project, they removed one Planed Location from 1.13 update ( i have a Feeling it was Africa, Safari Rally)! with Colin McRae's Pack. they did Great Job, so i think it will Boost the sale number of Game. the next game is 1 year minimum away, maybe 2... and Dirt 5 won't fill correctly that time Gap, it was better option to release some new content, for this Growing game, like Cars, liveries.. till DR3

• Like 1

Dirt Rally 2.0 Official game of the FIA World Rallycross Championship
without all official cars

That says it all ....

8 minutes ago, gleylancer571 said:

Dirt Rally 2.0 Official game of the FIA World Rallycross Championship
without all official cars

That says it all ....

They would obviously have all the cars if they could, it’s not like codemasters decided they’re not very keen on Hyundai so they didn’t bother putting them in

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, RallyDriven said:

They would obviously have all the cars if they could, it’s not like codemasters decided they’re not very keen on Hyundai so they didn’t bother putting them in

So what is the exact issue ? Licensing of the cars with the cars manufacturers ? 

Is current forum broken for others too? I have some useless subforums first.

4 minutes ago, koog2003 said:

So what is the exact issue ? Licensing of the cars with the cars manufacturers ? 

yep. most likely because they are a WRC manufacturer.

5 minutes ago, Johnnnn said:

i think its been changed so people can see those subforums first find something easier if needed.. which is annoying. also the pop up for news events is also annoying on the forums. even when trying to cross it off you still have to read it before it goes away.

Edited by dgeesi0
  • Agree 2

32 minutes ago, RallyDriven said:

Codemasters advertises that they have the FIA Rallycross license: Official game of the FIA World Rallycross Championship

One of the first license games without all license does not even come from 2019

57 minutes ago, gleylancer571 said:

Codemasters advertises that they have the FIA Rallycross license: Official game of the FIA World Rallycross Championship

One of the first license games without all license does not even come from 2019

The game was first released in February 2019, the 2019 cars did not exist at the time of the games release

I noticed this too .. They have official WRX license, but there aren't all the cars and circuits of the season (both 2018 with U.S.A, that 2019 with Spa).. in my opinion they dared a little too much.

If you claim to have the license, you must be sure that you can then have the actual contents. If there was no Ferrari in the F1 game, would you buy it?.. in any case, I don't mind Rallycross, but I sincerely hope that in the next DR3.0 they will focus exclusively on pure rally

• Agree 4

3 hours ago, JorritVD said:

Ford Focus RS Rally 2001 > McRae (but also Solberg)
Subaru Impreza (2001) > Burns and Solberg
Citroën C4 Rally > Solberg livery
Škoda Fabia Rally 2005 > McRae
Ford Focus RS Rally 2007 > . 
Subaru Impreza (2008) > Solberg
Peugeot 206 Rally (DLC) > Burns
Subaru Impreza S4 Rally > McRae (but also Burns)

Add over that the Corolla WRC and you got also all WRC cars that both Solberg, Mcrae and Sainz drove (he also transitionned from Toyota, to Ford, to Citröen)

The completist in me wanted to see CotA added to complete the 2018 season, but the rallycross track there was pretty ****, so not the end of the world we are missing that.

Spa is more of a shame but, from what has been said here and elsewhere, it seems like an expensive track to license. 

As has already been said by others it is a huge shame that we have no Hyundai in game, either in the R5 or RX Supercar classes: licensing is to blame though! 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Johnnnn said:

2 hours ago, dgeesi0 said:

i think its been changed so people can see those subforums first find something easier if needed.. which is annoying. also the pop up for news events is also annoying on the forums. even when trying to cross it off you still have to read it before it goes away.

The news banners are temporary, should be inactive now.

The forum structure is changing over the course of this year (not just DiRT but other places too), so you can expect to see a few changes here and there.

For example, we now have a legacy forum for older DiRT and Colin titles: https://forums.codemasters.com/forum/84-older-dirt-games/

3 hours ago, JorritVD said:

Solberg and McRae also both drove the Impreza S10 & S12b: Solberg in competition and McRae during TV coverage (S10) and at Goodwood FoS (S12b). 

Given that he always retained a connection with Prodrive, I think McRae may have driven other variants of the Impreza WRCar as well.