DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

I do wonder what he would be doing today if he was still around? Dakar? Rallycross? The occasional rally?

23 minutes ago, RallyDriven said:

I do wonder what he would be doing today if he was still around? Dakar? Rallycross? The occasional rally?

Maybe like Loeb and a bit of everything.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, RookieOne said:

Add over that the Corolla WRC and you got also all WRC cars that both Solberg, Mcrae and Sainz drove (he also transitionned from Toyota, to Ford, to Citröen)

Although Sainz ain't a "licensed" driver for the game.

2 hours ago, gleylancer571 said:

Codemasters advertises that they have the FIA Rallycross license: Official game of the FIA World Rallycross Championship

One of the first license games without all license does not even come from 2019

1 hour ago, Deltone91 said:

I noticed this too .. They have official WRX license, but there aren't all the cars and circuits of the season (both 2018 with U.S.A, that 2019 with Spa).. in my opinion they dared a little too much.

If you claim to have the license, you must be sure that you can then have the actual contents. If there was no Ferrari in the F1 game, would you buy it?.. in any case, I don't mind Rallycross, but I sincerely hope that in the next DR3.0 they will focus exclusively on pure rally

I don't think you can compare the license of F1 and WRX in any way. That has mulitple reasons.

I think one of the major aspects is constructors. In F1, they are all official constructors. 

In Rallycross it is more difficult, the Hyundai effort is for example not an manufacturer entry. Gronholm Rallycross is not owner of the Hyundai brand. Eventhough GRX wants to be in the game, it is Hyundai that not give the license. And that has probably due to being active with an official team in WRC and official partner of the WRC e-sports.

The WRC and F1 organisers/legal have probably in their "concorde agreements" or something that manufacturers/constructors can be legally used in games. And the same for the locations.

Although Codemasters and other game developers are so tight lipped about these licensing deals, we probably never will know 100% sure what is the reason why not all tracks and cars are in the game. 

48 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

Solberg and McRae also both drove the Impreza S10 & S12b: Solberg in competition and McRae during TV coverage (S10) and at Goodwood FoS (S12b). 

Given that he always retained a connection with Prodrive, I think McRae may have driven other variants of the Impreza WRCar as well. 

Ah, yeah, forgot about those.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, CMMcBabe said:

Our Cheshire studio is still up and running, I was up visiting a few weeks ago.

Psh, says you. Seemed to be kind of like an EA thing, they tried one game and then they "shuttered" the studio and absorbed it into the main conglomerate.

But uh, why were you visiting?

1 hour ago, tbtstt said:

The completist in me wanted to see CotA added to complete the 2018 season, but the rallycross track there was pretty ****, so not the end of the world we are missing that.

Spa is more of a shame but, from what has been said here and elsewhere, it seems like an expensive track to license. 

As has already been said by others it is a huge shame that we have no Hyundai in game, either in the R5 or RX Supercar classes: licensing is to blame though! 

Yeah, but if it's part of the Rallycross license you'd think they'd make it work.

12 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

1 hour ago, tbtstt said:

To prove to you that the studio was not shuttered, obviously 😉 

I can also confirm that the studio is still around: http://www.codemasters.com/contact-us/

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, JorritVD said:

Although Sainz ain't a "licensed" driver for the game.

I know,

My point was more that Sainz was one of the best driver of it's time, and at 40 years old was still competitive, which is something when you think about it

12 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

I can also confirm that the studio is still around: http://www.codemasters.com/contact-us/

Ohh, there's the big "but America" voice... fair play.

Would love to delve into the data you guys have for who, where, plays what content/mode most. I'm guessing that's not the sort of thing that would never be able to be shared around (info about most popular cars, classes or locations in particular geographic regions)?

3 hours ago, gleylancer571 said:

Codemasters advertises that they have the FIA Rallycross license: Official game of the FIA World Rallycross Championship

One of the first license games without all license does not even come from 2019

2 hours ago, Deltone91 said:

I noticed this too .. They have official WRX license, but there aren't all the cars and circuits of the season (both 2018 with U.S.A, that 2019 with Spa).. in my opinion they dared a little too much.

If you claim to have the license, you must be sure that you can then have the actual contents. If there was no Ferrari in the F1 game, would you buy it?.. in any case, I don't mind Rallycross, but I sincerely hope that in the next DR3.0 they will focus exclusively on pure rally

As above, this is because those series don't have the same 'Concord Agreement' type deal with the circuits. There are several examples of this around.

RaceRoom has GT Masters licence but have to licence the cars separately.

rFactor2 has a Formula E licence but not the tracks.

Project Cars has/had a Le Mans 24 Hours licence but this entitled them to only the track, none of the cars.

Kunos clearly have some negotiating wizards, because they needed to licence all the cars and tracks for ACC individually (hence you can't create custom liveries for the Lexus).

F1 has an agreement where the competitors and venues (I believe) have to sign the rights to their properties over to the promoter in order to be included. 'Lesser' series don't have this same clout, so what the 'licence' for a series contains is different with each one. And we'll probably never know the exact details, just the outcomes. I wonder if WRC has the right to sub-licence the cars (in the top class), for example. It may have changed, but back when Papyrus were making official NASCAR games they didn't have the rights to all the teams and cars.

Edited by RodgerDavies
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Psh, says you. Seemed to be kind of like an EA thing, they tried one game and then they "shuttered" the studio and absorbed it into the main conglomerate.

My job involves making sure all of the development teams are kept up to date with what they might need for the future.  I also went to visit the new Birmingham studio recently.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JZStudios said:

Yeah, but if it's part of the Rallycross license you'd think they'd make it work.

It isn't the first time there have been difficulties with the licensing on the rallycross side of things: remember that the EKS S1 was missing from previous titles due to an issue (and the DS3 appeared as "DS" rather than Citroen).

As @JorritVD has already pointed out, there are additional complications with World RX as many of the entries are not manufacturer supported, whereas everyone is effectively "works" represented in F1. 

Back from work, want to start some daily’s, but it seems to be connection fail time again?

3 hours ago, PJTierney said:

The news banners are temporary, should be inactive now.

The forum structure is changing over the course of this year (not just DiRT but other places too), so you can expect to see a few changes here and there.

For example, we now have a legacy forum for older DiRT and Colin titles: https://forums.codemasters.com/forum/84-older-dirt-games/

Thanks, great, but currently when I open forum I see some subforums I don't care. What is the right address to normal forum with topics like before? I need a way to check the topics only.

It seems that we can't do a Group B RX career rallycross in my team. Is it a mistake or it's suppose to be that way?

23 minutes ago, badaboum528 said:

It seems that we can't do a Group B RX career rallycross in my team. Is it a mistake or it's suppose to be that way?

Seems to be a very questionable gameplay decision that when you get to Masters you can only use Supercars

I've still not maxed out any of the Group B RX cars' engines yet and they've been out for ages 😂

2 minutes ago, MattyH1812 said:

Seems to be a very questionable gameplay decision that when you get to Masters you can only use Supercars

I've still not maxed out any of the Group B RX cars' engines yet and they've been out for ages 😂

Well this is disapointing... and weird... you should be able to pick the category you like!

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, badaboum528 said:

Well this is disapointing... and weird... you should be able to pick the category you like!

You should, yes

3 hours ago, Johnnnn said:

Thanks, great, but currently when I open forum I see some subforums I don't care. What is the right address to normal forum with topics like before? I need a way to check the topics only.

https://forums.codemasters.com/forum/16-dirt-rally-20/

Just scroll down a little bit and all the threads are there.

1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

Just scroll down a little bit and all the threads are there.

I want topics, not scrolling down. If it's broken for limited time only it's fine then. When will it work again?

#gossip? maybe it is nothing

https://steamdb.info/app/690790/dlc/

What i not really understand are the DLCs at SteamDB. There are 4 unknown depots. Basiclaly three are for Scotland, the Impreza and the Legacy. But what is the fourth and final one than? Might there be an extra suprise after all?

image.png.856f3c8c96ed32f193bd38983e6e3737.png

Edited by JorritVD
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Well I'm sure Pandemic, Visceral and Dreamworks, I mean Danger Close, I mean Dice L.A. are still around at EA too. They just aren't their own studio, I didn't mean the guys were fired.

8 hours ago, CMMcBabe said:

My job involves making sure all of the development teams are kept up to date with what they might need for the future.  I also went to visit the new Birmingham studio recently.

So anything to share?

7 hours ago, tbtstt said:

Oh, I forgot to ask yesterday, it's completely unrelated, but what kind of car is this?IMG_0017.thumb.JPG.1091b209016738f55a13a0090fdc167e.JPG

Also ignore my gigantic windshield crack. It's been like that for like 4 or 5 years.

1 hour ago, Johnnnn said:

I want topics, not scrolling down. If it's broken for limited time only it's fine then. When will it work again?

It's not broken. It's different.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, JorritVD said:

#gossip? maybe it is nothing

https://steamdb.info/app/690790/dlc/

What i not really understand are the DLCs at SteamDB. There are 4 unknown depots. Basiclaly three are for Scotland, the Impreza and the Legacy. But what is the fourth and final one than? Might there be an extra suprise after all?

image.png.856f3c8c96ed32f193bd38983e6e3737.png

it's possible, but I doubt it. those have been there for a very long time.

1 hour ago, ianism said:

it's possible, but I doubt it. those have been there for a very long time.

Secret achievement perhaps?