DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

20 hours ago, RallyDriven said:

Dirt Rally 3 has got to be the most sensible option for me, although sales figures between DR1, DR2 and D4 could influence decisions. Anyone know how well they all performed?

Xbox Gamepass has kind of turned things on their heads in the past year or so, probably making any past sales metrics irrelevant regarding future plans. I wonder to what degree that will influence things as the future is looking very subscription based.. which frees up funds to potentially allow more players to upgrade to wheel & pedals. Then you've got them hooked 😂

Forza Horizons has been the (free) gateway drug for a lot of people to get into Sim racing. I'm surprised Microsoft haven't been more aggressive in buying up studios like SMS to capture that prolific post-Forza spending people do when branching out. 

7 hours ago, JorritVD said:

#gossip? maybe it is nothing

https://steamdb.info/app/690790/dlc/

What i not really understand are the DLCs at SteamDB. There are 4 unknown depots. Basiclaly three are for Scotland, the Impreza and the Legacy. But what is the fourth and final one than? Might there be an extra suprise after all?

image.png.856f3c8c96ed32f193bd38983e6e3737.png

Sorry to spoil your fun, but I think it's probably the livery from the 6R4. Not to say that there's not going to be more liveries though 😉

2 hours ago, Brain.exe has stopped said:

Sorry to spoil your fun, but I think it's probably the livery from the 6R4. Not to say that there's not going to be more liveries though 😉

That indeed might be it. The livery pack. 

the Martini livery might still come. As far as I know, they also not promoted the Rothmans Colored Porsche.

Edited by JorritVD

8 minutes ago, JorritVD said:

As far as I know, they also not promoted the Rothmans Colored Porsche.

DR2-Welcome-to-Wales-Thumbnail.jpg

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, JZStudios said:

So anything to share?

Cheshire studio is having a lot of renovations done, which is good.  The new Birmingham studio is really nice, I got some jealousy at parts of it.

10 hours ago, JorritVD said:

#gossip? maybe it is nothing

https://steamdb.info/app/690790/dlc/

What i not really understand are the DLCs at SteamDB. There are 4 unknown depots. Basiclaly three are for Scotland, the Impreza and the Legacy. But what is the fourth and final one than? Might there be an extra suprise after all?

image.png.856f3c8c96ed32f193bd38983e6e3737.png

Never try to read too deeply into these.

9 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Well I'm sure Pandemic, Visceral and Dreamworks, I mean Danger Close, I mean Dice L.A. are still around at EA too. They just aren't their own studio, I didn't mean the guys were fired.

So anything to share?

Oh, I forgot to ask yesterday, it's completely unrelated, but what kind of car is this?IMG_0017.thumb.JPG.1091b209016738f55a13a0090fdc167e.JPG

Also ignore my gigantic windshield crack. It's been like that for like 4 or 5 years.

It's not broken. It's different.

I don’t know about elsewhere ( @tbtstt ?). But here in the USA the STI crowd has a problem with putting their sacred wing on a WRX, the badge delete also is a little bit of a giveaway.  So this could be a WRX and this is his way of giving the finger to the rest.  Or it could be a really lame way of making a sleeper car.  

Personally I have no problem what Impreza you put a wing on.  It’s as silly to think only STIs can have gold wheels, or be blue.  Just don’t put the STI wing on a Forester, now that crosses a line.  

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, SquirrelEsquire said:

Xbox Gamepass has kind of turned things on their heads in the past year or so, probably making any past sales metrics irrelevant regarding future plans. I wonder to what degree that will influence things as the future is looking very subscription based.. which frees up funds to potentially allow more players to upgrade to wheel & pedals. Then you've got them hooked 😂

Forza Horizons has been the (free) gateway drug for a lot of people to get into Sim racing. I'm surprised Microsoft haven't been more aggressive in buying up studios like SMS to capture that prolific post-Forza spending people do when branching out. 

Codemasters seem to have a pretty good relationship with game pass, most games have popped up there about 6-8 months after launch. I’ve been waiting for the latest F1 and GRID to come on to it. I can’t see any games from them going straight to game pass at launch though.

Forza does wind me up. Motorsport just doesn’t seem to work well on my G920, and the physics are off just enough to be annoying. And horizon is great fun, but it’s trying way too hard to appeal to kids with all the stupid dances and clothing.

10 minutes ago, gfRally said:

I don’t know about elsewhere ( @tbtstt ?). But here in the USA the STI crowd has a problem with putting their sacred wing on a WRX, the badge delete also is a little bit of a giveaway.  So this could be a WRX and this is his way of giving the finger to the rest.  Or it could be a really lame way of making a sleeper car.  

Putting STI wings on a WRX doesn't really bother me @gfRally, though people putting STI badges on their WRX and trying to pass it off as an STI does annoy me!

And yeah, the same trend does exist in the UK, though the US owner groups for the latest generation of WRX STI do seem particularly militant about it! The "modification" I recall drawing as much flak here was the re-badging of classic Imprezas back in the mid/late-90s. Until the P1 we never officially got STi models in the UK, so people would put pink Japanese badges on their UK Turbo models to try and pass them off as their better JDM equivalents, except no one was fooled...

...that said, I recall seeing posts from more than one person who joined a forum/owners club with their "STi", only to be told they had bought a standard crappy UK Turbo with some badges nailed to it! :classic_laugh:

10 hours ago, JZStudios said:

It's not broken. It's different.

I agree, but it's dumb and very annoying, right?

19 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Show up with a 22b 😄 

I'll have to try and find the thread (I think it was on Scoobynet), but there was a sales post about a "genuine" 22B years ago...

...the car had four doors. 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 1

Have had and 2.5 Rs, Bugeye and Blobeye Impreza WRXs and Legacy GT ,all US models.Will tell you that theyre the best and most reliable cars for the money.

Whether base models or STIs, the mod scene is crazy for them and debadging WAS cool 15 years ago:) 

The big wing always indicated that you have an STI version, but never bothered me that people mimic them, I just laugh LOL.

22 hours ago, RallyDriven said:

The game was first released in February 2019, the 2019 cars did not exist at the time of the games release

The cars for the WRC 2019 are Citroën C3 WRCFord Fiesta WRCHyundai i20 Coupe WRCToyota Yaris WRC

The game has only the Citroen and the Ford Fiesta. I understand the license is for Rallycross and not WRC. 

Why the hell did they give the license of the WRC 2019 to WRC8 ? 

That game sucks badly. Gameplay is awful. Physiscs are ridiculous and the cars seem glued to the track .. totally unrealistic. On top of that those losers do not even have VR and you all know how it works in 2020 .. NO VR NO BUY.

If you make a game that does not support VR you are not in business you are only something useless and pathetic from the past. 

You have to agree with me that WRC 8 is just awful. I have tried it and got shocked by how bad it is.

I dont understand how did they manage to get the license from WRC with a game so bad ? Or maybe it is all about money and WRC does not care how good the game is but only cars about how much money the gaming companies are willing to pay ....

Edited by koog2003

37 minutes ago, koog2003 said:

The cars for the WRC 2019 are Citroën C3 WRCFord Fiesta WRCHyundai i20 Coupe WRCToyota Yaris WRC

The game has only the Citroen and the Ford Fiesta. I understand the license is for Rallycross and not WRC. 

Why the hell did they give the license of the WRC 2019 to WRC8 ? 

That game sucks badly. Gameplay is awful. Physiscs are ridiculous and the cars seem glued to the track .. totally unrealistic. On top of that those losers do not even have VR and you all know how it works in 2020 .. NO VR NO BUY.

If you make a game that does not support VR you are not in business you are only something useless and pathetic from the past. 

You have to agree with me that WRC 8 is just awful. I have tried it and got shocked by how bad it is.

I dont understand how did they manage to get the license from WRC with a game so bad ? Or maybe it is all about money and WRC does not care how good the game is but only cars about how much money the gaming companies are willing to pay ....

Wait what? Why are you talking about WRC license? We were talking about WRX. And dirt rally 2 doesn’t have any current WRC cars.

3 minutes ago, RallyDriven said:

Wait what? Why are you talking about WRC license? We were talking about WRX. And dirt rally 2 doesn’t have any current WRC cars.

I know that is why I have said "I understand the license is for Rallycross and not WRC.". 
To me what does not make sense at all is why WRC gave the license to an horrible lame game like WRC8 instead of the amazing Dirt Rally 2.0. 

"
And dirt rally 2 doesn’t have any current WRC cars."  

Do you mean the cars of WRC 2019 or WRC 2020 ?

Dirt Rally 2.0 for WRC 2019 is missing the Hyundai i20 coupe WRC and the Toyota Yaris WRC. While it has the Citroen C3 WRC (R5) and the Ford Fiesta WRC (R5)

For WRC 2020 DR 2.0 is missing the Hyundai i20 coupe WRC and the Toyota Yaris WRC. 

I dont get what you mean for "does not have any of the WRC cars" ....

Edited by koog2003
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, koog2003 said:

Not really a great way to look at it. Price of entry to PCVR might be a lot lower than it was a few years ago now, but its still out of the price range for a high proportion of gamers. You have to keep in mind that we are early adopters of the tech, we bought into it early. Very early. The VR space might be growing, but its very wrong to assume that all games need to be VR just because you bought into the tech. You will also miss out on some great games with that sort of attitude.

I also own WRC 8, and while it might not agree with your particular taste as a game. Its actually a really good rally game once you get the settings sorted and everything else. I have quite a lot of fun on it, even with it not been a VR title.

As for the WRC license, its usually bid on by companies; its not just handed down to them by the FIA. Its also possible the dev behind the WRC games currently, have a multi year contract with the FIA for the WRC license. We have no idea if Codemasters went through the process to procure it or not. Either way, they already have the F1 license. Another game that is not in VR, which is usually fairly fun.

Edited by Ialyrn
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, koog2003 said:

I know that is why I have said "I understand the license is for Rallycross and not WRC.". 
To me what does not make sense at all is why WRC gave the license to an horrible lame game like WRC8 instead of the amazing Dirt Rally 2.0. 

"

Dirt Rally 2.0 for WRC 2019 is missing the Hyundai i20 coupe WRC and the Toyota Yaris WRC. While it has the Citroen C3 WRC (R5) and the Ford Fiesta WRC (R5)

For WRC 2020 DR 2.0 is missing the Hyundai i20 coupe WRC and the Toyota Yaris WRC. 

I think you may be using "WRC" in too many places there @koog2003, it is a little confusing as "WRC" can actually mean two different things: 

World Rally Championship = WRC
World Rally Car = WRC

World Rally Car is the ruleset that cars that compete at the highest level of the World Rally Championship have to adhere to. Therefore any car that meets those rules is a "WRC". 

None of the 2019 World Rally Cars are in DiRT Rally 2.0. 

R5 cars are able to compete in specific World Rally Championship classes, however they are not built to the World Rally Car regulations and so do not carry "WRC" in their name. R5 cars and World Rally Cars are two different things.

In DR2.0, the cars are Ford Fiesta R5, Skoda Fabia R5, Citroen C3 R5... etc. (not "Ford Fiesta WRC R5" as you have types). DR2.0 is missing the Hyundai i20 R5, there is no Yaris R5 (yet).

NB: The World Rallycross Championship is, unofficially, referred to as WRX. Cars are occasionally referred to as "WRX", but more commonly as "Supercars" which has been the name for the upper tier for several decades now. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, koog2003 said:

"

DR2.0 doesn’t have any current World Rally Cars. The ones you mention, the R5 Fiesta and Citroen C3, are not World Rally Cars. They are R5 class cars, the class below WRC and a rules set that is not exclusive to the World Rally Championship.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, koog2003 said:

Sorry, but an R5 has nothing to do with an WRC spec car. Maybe only the base chassis is the same, but everything else is completly different.

• Like 1

So I am definitely confused here lol. 

Correct me if I am wrong. What I understand from you is: Dirt Rally 2.0 does not have any of the Word Rally Cars because it does not have a license for it. While it has World Rally Championship cars because (R5) those dont require a license. So what exactly are the R5 cars or the R2 cars ?

Which are the cars that are going to officially compete in the Word Rally Championship of 2020 then and what is the difference between those and the R5 version ?

4 minutes ago, JorritVD said:

Sorry, but an R5 has nothing to do with an WRC spec car. Maybe only the base chassis is the same, but everything else is completly different.

Again so the reason why DR 2.0 does not have the official top cars of The World Rally Championship is because they do not own a license correct ? 
Could you please guys be so kind to link me to a document that shows and explains how classes are organized and which cars are in those classes ?
I thought the R5 was the top of the top in the world rally championship .. I have been very wrong then 😞

I wouldn’t want codemasters to be restricted by a wrc licence to be honest. I’d love to see what they would do with it for a one off, but trying to do an annual release doesn’t work with early games in my opinion. It would be too much to try and create new stages each year, and you end up with the same ones each year

• Agree 4

1 minute ago, koog2003 said:

Again so the reason why DR 2.0 does not have the official top cars of The World Rally Championship is because they do not own a license correct ? 
Could you please guys be so kind to link me to a document that shows and explains how classes are organized and which cars are in those classes ?
I thought the R5 was the top of the top in the world rally championship .. I have been very wrong then 😞

World rally car

R5

R4

R3

R2

R1

That is the official rally class system, in a similar way to which open wheel goes F1-F4

• Like 1

yeah R5 isnt top WRC is. they cost about 5x more than a R5 car. a R5 fiesta for eg can be brought ready to rally for about £200,000.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, koog2003 said:

So I am definitely confused here lol. 

Correct me if I am wrong. What I understand from you is: Dirt Rally 2.0 does not have any of the Word Rally Cars because it does not have a license for it. While it has World Rally Championship cars because (R5) those dont require a license. 

It has R5 cars because, although they can be entered in specific categories of the World Rally Championship, they are not exclusive to the World Rally Championship. 

Although World Rally Cars sometimes filter down to a National level, they are originally created to compete at the top level of the World Rally Championship. 

R5 cars will still have to be licensed (by the individual manufacturer), but they are not directly connected to the World Rally Championship in the same way as World Rally Cars. 

59 minutes ago, koog2003 said:

The structure has changed again for 2020, so I am not 100% certain on this, but I think the latest class structure is: 

World Rally Championship: Contested by World Rally Cars.
World Rally Championship-2 (better known as WRC2): Contested by manufacture entered (and select privateer) R5 cars.
World Rally Championship-3 (better known as WRC3): Contested by privateer R5 category cars.
Junior World Rally Championship: Contested by R2 category cars. 

59 minutes ago, koog2003 said:

R5 has become the top level for most National Championships now. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1