F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Posted (edited)

The weekly event Group B in Scotland: was the hardcore damage on? My car was permanently damaged. (Because in online events is always set to OFF, regardless of what I set for SP)

I think it's good to have it ON all the time. For everyone, of course, in fairness.

In Poland I had a night race R5 in heavy rain. It was much too dark there, the headlights are too weak. When I watched the replay and tried cockpit view, I couldn't see anything at all. The harsh darkness is not realistic (headlights) and the rain effect on the windshield is also slightly exaggerated.

Have a look at the side windows before the start, unrealistic, opaque like the glass of a shower cabin. Everyone can test this in his car in heavy rain, take a look through the side window, and he will certainly see more than in Dirt Rally 2

I like rainy day rides. At night, however, the clouds already make everything darker, and if it still rains, you can't see anything. But no Problem for the AI.

Edited by PaulNbg
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Being nominated is its own reward and a testament to the hard work and passion everybody at Codemasters put into creating and supporting the game. 🙂 

Let's not forget that hundreds of games are released by UK studios every year, and fewer than 10 were on the shortlist. Not even F1 2019 (which was in my opinion the best F1 game ever made) was on that.

Yeah, there is that I suppose. You guys do deserve props for that at least.

From the Dirt club thread when users complained about the events being an entire month each

2 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

There are reasons for the length which I won't go into here, bear in mind the last event ran for 6 months.

Besides, there may be plenty of other things to keep you occupied in the intervening weeks 😉 

Let the gossip begin

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, PaulNbg said:

The weekly event Group B in Scotland: was the hardcore damage on? My car was permanently damaged. (Because in online events is always set to OFF, regardless of what I set for SP)

I think it's good to have it ON all the time. For everyone, of course, in fairness.

In Poland I had a night race R5 in heavy rain. It was much too dark there, the headlights are too weak. When I watched the replay and tried cockpit view, I couldn't see anything at all. The harsh darkness is not realistic (headlights) and the rain effect on the windshield is also slightly exaggerated.

Have a look at the side windows before the start, unrealistic, opaque like the glass of a shower cabin. Everyone can test this in his car in heavy rain, take a look through the side window, and he will certainly see more than in Dirt Rally 2

I like rainy day rides. At night, however, the clouds already make everything darker, and if it still rains, you can't see anything. But no Problem for the AI.

I am absolutely certain that hardcore damage is never activated at online events
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, somethingthing said:

From the Dirt club thread when users complained about the events being an entire month each

Let the gossip begin

You're quick to catch on 😉 

Also, from yesterday's blog: http://blog.codemasters.com/community/04/codies-racing-line-april-2-2020/

With FLAT OUT (and the Game of the Year Edition, which contains all of the game’s content in one single package) out in the wild, what’s next for DiRT Rally 2.0? 

The first thing to point out is that content-wise, the game is essentially complete, so if you get the Game of the Year Edition you’re all set.  

Our development team is now focusing on the future of rally, but that doesn’t mean we’re done with DiRT Rally 2.0 just yet, as we’ve got various activities planned to keep you busy throughout 2020.

And also the GOTY announce: https://www.codemasters.com/dr2_goty_announce/

“After twelve months of working with our community and improving DiRT Rally 2.0, it’s great to have one complete package for both existing fans and new players to the franchise,” said Ross Gowing, DiRT Rally 2.0 Game Director at Codemasters.

“Adding the Colin McRae: FLAT OUT Pack is the icing on the cake and the perfect way for the team to close the DiRT Rally 2.0 chapter and focus on the future of rally.”

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

For everyone who drives with the cockpit view, it is certainly a problem, I admit that.
Sometimes there is also a rain bug because the rain is as wide as straws so it only helps to restart

11 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Not even F1 2019 (which was in my opinion the best F1 game ever made) was on that.

Really?
Bought the Legends Edition on release, played a few hours and was heavily disappointed about the sound bug on some of the classic cars and therefore stopped playing it enirely.
Can't really comment on the rest of the game, because I was mainly interested in the classic content, but that was a huge downer for me.

Maybe it got fixed since then, but I doubt it.

5 hours ago, PJTierney said:

You're quick to catch on 😉 

Also, from yesterday's blog: http://blog.codemasters.com/community/04/codies-racing-line-april-2-2020/

And also the GOTY announce: https://www.codemasters.com/dr2_goty_announce/

It's really let me think there is something happening in around a year.
Maybe the announcement of DiRT 5 or DiRT Rally 3.
Maybe even launch of one of them, because that would be more than 2 years after the launch of DR 2.0.
Hmmm...gossip, I can smell it 🤤

16 hours ago, tbtstt said:

Yeah, I was surprised as well. I daresay awards change very little, but it would have been nice to have seen a game I consider to be very good receive some recognition. 

I hope DR2.0 appearing on PS Plus next month at least wins a few more fans over. 

Outer Wilds is fantastic though...

15 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

I'm not surprised. Outer Wilds has that annoying Portland Oregon beanie wearing eco hipster craft beer kind of vibe. Found it really annoying, hence it's not a surprise that arts bureacrats saw fit to give it an award.

They would have seen DR2.0 as 'just another racing game' without any appreciation of what a watershed moment it truly is in playable simulations.

Wow. Sounds like you didn't even play it.

It's really not though. All things considered, it's just an iteration upon the previous title. And holy ****, you guys expect a racing game to get "Best Game?" Are you nuts? You'll complain about Outer Wilds, an expansive space exploration game with unique physics based world and puzzles and a non-linear story with multiple endings over freaking "Untitled Goose Game?"

What's wrong in the world?

Posted (edited)
On 4/4/2020 at 12:11 PM, JZStudios said:

Outer Wilds is fantastic though...

Wow. Sounds like you didn't even play it.

It's really not though. All things considered, it's just an iteration upon the previous title. And holy ****, you guys expect a racing game to get "Best Game?" Are you nuts? You'll complain about Outer Wilds, an expansive space exploration game with unique physics based world and puzzles and a non-linear story with multiple endings over freaking "Untitled Goose Game?"

What's wrong in the world?

😄😄

I didn't see the award winners tbh, and yes I played Untitled goose game. If that won an award then my cynicism is vindicated. Even if I was wrong about Outer Wilds! 

I did play Outer Wilds btw, but perhaps not for long enough. Tell me, what did Outer Wilds accomplish that No Man's Sky did not, such that the latter did not win any equivalent award? 

Edited by Jake Cushing

Posted (edited)
On 4/4/2020 at 12:11 PM, JZStudios said:

And holy ****, you guys expect a racing game to get "Best Game?" Are you nuts?

And why not? Why the heck not? It's the same type of ideology that says a simulation game can never deserve 'best game', that also says a genre movie should never be 'Best Picture'. EG The Dark Knight, or 2001 A Space Odyssey.

I don't believe DR2.0 is merely 'another iteration'. It's a watershed. I really do stand by that. DR1 had floaty, finicky physics. DR2.0 nailed it all down, and unlike RBR which was the only other rally game to have believable physics, it is playable with a controller. This may not mean much to sim-heads with racing wheel set-ups, but for us plebs who only use a controller but love rally gaming, it's huge. And it's been done against the commercial tide that always said realistic rallying was commercially verboten.

Edited by Jake Cushing
  • Like 2

Time to upgrade to a wheel then. I've said this before, it'll be a game changer. Thrustmaster is discounting their stuff, Logitech is a good wheel too and not too expensive. You will not regret it, I promise. 

• Like 1

quick question about Clubs from someone who's never done them before. the official Dirt club has several events with each class. If I pick a car to use in Scotland, am I stuck with it for every Group A event, or do you choose a car every event, regardless of which class it's being run with?

Posted (edited)

You choose a car every event. Not stuck with the same car

edit: except clubs that have a specific rule that you must stick with the same car

Edited by HoksuHoo
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ianism said:

quick question about Clubs from someone who's never done them before. the official Dirt club has several events with each class. If I pick a car to use in Scotland, am I stuck with it for every Group A event, or do you choose a car every event, regardless of which class it's being run with?

Some clubs have a rule that you should use the same car everytime but those are rare in my experience. Welcome to the world of clubs! Imo they are more fun than dailys and weeklies!

barrel rollers on Discord has a lot of clubs you can join with both really fast, average and slower drivers! Pretty good participation in most of them too!

• Thanks 1

Nobody needs medium tires. And above all, nobody needs hard tires.

In the setup, medium tyres are always recommended and pre-selected by the game. What sense does that make?
Every time I have to select softest one again.

And why do some write "tires" and others "tyres" instead?

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, ianism said:

No rule coded in that locks you to a car for a whole season.

Some clubs have "house rules" where they recommend you stay in the same car.

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, PaulNbg said:

And why do some write "tires" and others "tyres" instead?

tire is north american spelling

tyre is generally used in the rest of the English-speaking world

for virtually all other spellings and other differences between the two types of English, Canada follows UK English. it just follows the US in this case because tires are a product and it would be incredibly confusing if they had two spellings. ovens here are also in Farenheit even though the country uses Celsius.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

23 hours ago, PaulNbg said:

Nobody needs medium tires. And above all, nobody needs hard tires.

In the setup, medium tyres are always recommended and pre-selected by the game. What sense does that make?
Every time I have to select softest one again.

To drive you crazy.
It's a passion for developers, to get their customers as crazy as they can do.

Really, it is not a big deal to put softs/no spare on the car.
It literally takes seconds and it's part of the game to select your preferences (in my point of view).

And there are situations, were mediums and a spare (or even 2) are a good option.
Never used hard tyres/tires/reifen/these black things though, but you could create a loooong club event without service areas. Or a championship in custom championship. 12 stages in a row without service area. Their must be a tyre/tire/reifen/these black thing for that.

46 minutes ago, ianism said:

for virtually all other spellings and other differences between the two types of English, Canada follows UK English. it just follows the US in this case because tires are a product and it would be incredibly confusing if they had two spellings. ovens here are also in Farenheit even though the country uses Celsius.

Both are just wrong.
The correct spelling is teier 😀

Edited by UnderclassGDfan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ianism said:

Tyre is British English

Tire is wrong 😄 

❤️ 

• Haha 2
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Tyre is British English

Tire is wrong 😄 

❤️

And then there are the Finns with their adjectives for the 'a tires' they had.

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)
On 4/5/2020 at 2:38 AM, Jake Cushing said:

😄😄

I didn't see the award winners tbh, and yes I played Untitled goose game. If that won an award then my cynicism is vindicated. Even if I was wrong about Outer Wilds! 

I did play Outer Wilds btw, but perhaps not for long enough. Tell me, what did Outer Wilds accomplish that No Man's Sky did not, such that the latter did not win any equivalent award? 

Outer Wilds has an expansive non-linear story that you discover on your own at your own pace for one. No Man's Sky has no point, and also has far fewer physical properties or puzzles. No Man's Sky is more akin to a "survival" game like Minecraft, especially with the more "recent" building additions.

Outer Wilds is more like Kerbal Space Program if it had a deep story and interesting planetary mechanics.

On 4/5/2020 at 5:27 AM, Jake Cushing said:

And why not? Why the heck not? It's the same type of ideology that says a simulation game can never deserve 'best game', that also says a genre movie should never be 'Best Picture'. EG The Dark Knight, or 2001 A Space Odyssey.

I don't believe DR2.0 is merely 'another iteration'. It's a watershed. I really do stand by that. DR1 had floaty, finicky physics. DR2.0 nailed it all down, and unlike RBR which was the only other rally game to have believable physics, it is playable with a controller. This may not mean much to sim-heads with racing wheel set-ups, but for us plebs who only use a controller but love rally gaming, it's huge. And it's been done against the commercial tide that always said realistic rallying was commercially verboten.

Yeah, a slasher/teen horror flick should never win "Best Picture." You quote an overly awarded action blockbuster and an at the time marvel of film making and special effects, though it's incredibly boring by today's standards, but it's still big in cultural influence.

Great. It's not a life-changing experience nor a must play though. How has the game actually impacted you, made you think about certain choices, question ideologies or morals, or have any semblance of something you'd actively remember after the next in the series comes out? How does Untitled Goose game do any of that?

I also disagree about the physics. It's not particularly realistic and I've uninstalled the game months ago. It's also far from the only game to have decent controller support, and RBR came out on PS2, so...

Edited by JZStudios
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Outer Wilds has an expansive non-linear story that you discover on your own at your own pace for one. No Man's Sky has no point, and also has far fewer physical properties or puzzles. No Man's Sky is more akin to a "survival" game like Minecraft, especially with the more "recent" building additions.

NMS had a non-linear story that you discover at your own pace. But anyhow, NMS missing nominations (unjustly in my opinion) does not render a different game unworthy.

8 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Yeah, a slasher/teen horror flick should never win "Best Picture." You quote an overly awarded action blockbuster and an at the time marvel of film making and special effects, though it's incredibly boring by today's standards, but it's still big in cultural influence.

Citizen Kane and Vertigo were overly awarded melodramas. Chinatown was an overly awarded mystery-noir. And they're incredibly boring by today's standards. (sarc)

The idea that a simulator can not by default win a 'best game' award is seriously misguided. Cinema has no player agency, so art takes precedence for its merit. Games on the other hand feature player agency. Art is one measure of a games' success, but has no relevance to a game that strives to give the player an out-of-body experience. The latter can still make for a truly great game, whereas a movie that is merely a camera placed in a rally car does not make a great film.