F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Hmm, lost the interest in this discussion, after just 1 sentence I decided it was just unneccessary bashing. No need for and a shame.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, JZStudios said:

You suck at arguing or making a cohesive point. Player agency applies to literally almost every game. Why would that be a qualification solely for simulators when it's also required in Animal Crossing or Doom? Bad point, it serves your argument no meaning. You have done literally nothing to argue as to why DR2, or any racing game, would win GOTY compared to the entirety of games released.

You're completely misrepresenting what I said. I said Batman was overhyped and 2001 was a technical marvel. What in the actual ****? The genre? Mention to me a horror/slasher flick that won Oscars, I never said SciFi couldn't win one. So you tried to prove me wrong by sideskirting my argument. You suck at argument. Then you mention 3 movies that also sideskirt anything relevant. And after looking it up, I have watched Chinatown actually. Jack Nicholson films are hard to find.

Then you make a straw man argument.

Here, I tell you what. Let me put it this way:

"Hey everyone, Jake believes one game must always be better because of reasons he can't argue that don't apply to the entire medium at large, and then he'll make straw man arguments, sideskirt the actual argument, misrepresent what you said entirely, completely miss the point, say you've shifted the goal posts for bringing it back to the original topic, and then tell you that you're stupid."

Well, with that dummy spit I'm happy to call it a day 😁

I'll try to summarise for the final time, in a manner that's simple and easy to digest:

- Player agency is the difference between film and game

-Therefore a game doesn't need to be a work of art in order to be a great game

-Therefore a simulator can be a great game (contra your statement "a driving game should never win best game, what are you guys crazy?")

-DR2.0 is a great simulator. It's the first believable rally simulator since RBR. (DR1 was not - floaty physics). However it is much more playable, especially with a controller.

-It is arguably a better game than Outer Wilds, all things considered. It is a much greater technical accomplishment (and artistic I would argue too)

Anyhow, if you ever return to actually playing DR2.0 I'm happy to duke it out on the leaderboards to resolve the matter (although I suck)

Edited by Jake Cushing

On 3/30/2020 at 2:32 PM, ianism said:

what are you talking about?! the video i posted is of the exact roads DR2 uses, they laser scanned them. the in-game stages are Las Juntas and Valle de los puentes (in that order and direction). it's El Condor in real life of course. WRC 8 stages are imaginary: they took sections of several different Argentina stages and stuck them together, with invented sections too

all the WRC 8 stages are like this. it means they were able to put more landmarks and stuff on the stages, but all the DR2 ones are exact copies of real life roads. so there actually are "such sections" in Dirt. whereas in the WRC series there are not.

you can like the WRC series stages more if you want, but they aren't real.

image.thumb.png.fbae39922fa0d7ea40685cc443c3f6ab.png

Absolutely nothing is laser scanned when it comes to DR2 and its stages. They've never done it that way. 

• Agree 3

yesterday i drove the weekly event with the Subaru Impreza S4 before i drove 160 km and after i ended the event 872 km !!
This is really, really annoying and has something to do with the server problem
I then bought the car again
  • Disagree 1

21 minutes ago, gleylancer571 said:

yesterday i drove the weekly event with the Subaru Impreza S4 before i drove 160 km and after i ended the event 872 km !!
This is really, really annoying and has something to do with the server problem
I then bought the car again

I don't even know how to find this information 😀

34 minutes ago, Janneman60 said:

I don't even know how to find this information 😀

How many kilometers you drove with your car is in the vehicle selection and the speedometer also shows the kilometers traveled
  • Agree 1

On 4/8/2020 at 9:49 AM, PJTierney said:

DR2 has a storyline though:

If you have any walkthroughs that teach me how to get to the Rocky-esque montage where Rodger learns how to NOT break the car, I'm begging you please share...

(gives PJ perfect excuse to post the DR2 School YouTube playlist)

9 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

-DR2.0 is a great simulator. It's the first believable rally simulator since RBR. (DR1 was not - floaty physics). However it is much more playable, especially with a controller. 

No, this is not a simulator, this is a rally game.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, J89 said:

No, this is not a simulator, this is a rally game.

So despite having better physics (excluding tarmac) than RBR, it is no simulation?

Is this one of these arguments, where "simulation" equals "most difficult to drive" rather than "like driving in real life" ???

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, gleylancer571 said:
yesterday i drove the weekly event with the Subaru Impreza S4 before i drove 160 km and after i ended the event 872 km !! This is really, really annoying and has something to do with the server problem I then bought the car again

I don't know if this is a server issue. I had this happen to me once, a year ago, driving the M1 Procar in a Weekly in Germany.

I didn't notice the increase in km driven until later, but during the event I have crazy levels of wear on the parts - I just couldn't fix most of them until after the event was finished because it made me exceed the repair time limit. after the event, I had something like 475km driven, when it should have been around 150

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
The German hero Walter Röhrl was twice a world rally champion 
The first World Championship in 1981 with the Fiat 131 and the second with the Opel Ascona 1982
and second in the World Championship in 1983, although he only drove 6 out of 12 rallies,with the Lancia 037

And once European Champion 1974 with Opel Ascona

image.png.11b122543324421ec2178dc93526e6b2.png

image.thumb.png.9b0f10451de750b4ee07fdf7a2359270.png

image.thumb.png.fe0f628610a34e811f746b0d81004151.png

Edited by gleylancer571
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, SkyRex said:

So despite having better physics (excluding tarmac) than RBR, it is no simulation?

Is this one of these arguments, where "simulation" equals "most difficult to drive" rather than "like driving in real life" ???

That was no argument, it's just a statement. For an argument you'd actually have to elaborate, give evidence or reasons to come to a conclusion. 

Edited by richie

2 hours ago, richie said:

This is no argument, it's just a statement. For an argument you'd actually have to elaborate, give evidence or reasons to come to a conclusion. 

Well, apparently actually you don't. You just make sweeping statements that can apply to almost anything and then straw man or lie.

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Well, apparently actually you don't. You just make sweeping statements that can apply to almost anything and then straw man or lie.

Yep, that's how things go on forums. I just wanted to point out that a claim is no argument. To elaborate on your claim an argument is what's needed to come to a conclusion. For many a claim is enough, that's why the internet is a sad place at times. 

Edited by richie

Now at least I didn't need online connection these past few days to produce this, for which some have been waiting eagerly. But I first had to be certain that the way of setup I present is actually the way I would use it and that it makes driving more consistent.

But now the Server will be interesting again, as there is a DRC-Rally I plan to participate in.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Solberg_World_Cup_CMNews_Feature.jpg

Isn't DirtFish lacking in DR2?

In other news, BeamNG just had another big update yesterday apparently, adding 2 new cars designed to be French style SUVs. They've got electric and standard power platforms and even some rally setups.

Holy ****, the rework of the small island they did is nuts, it no longer looks like a nuclear superbloom.

Edited by JZStudios

19 hours ago, SkyRex said:

Well it doesn't have better physics than RBR. It is funny how people want to call Dirt Rally 2 a simulator just because they really like this game and get a "I am a rally driver" feeling from it :]] I suggest anyone who calls Dirt Rally a sim, to go and get good at assetto corsa, iRacing or something similar and than comeback to dirt rally 2. Then you'll understand. That what happened to me with Dirt Rally 1, I couldn't take it serous no more. Good games though.   

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Flykas said:

Well it doesn't have better physics than RBR. It is funny how people want to call Dirt Rally 2 a simulator just because they really like this game and get a "I am a rally driver" feeling from it :]] I suggest anyone who calls Dirt Rally a sim, to go and get good at assetto corsa, iRacing or something similar and than comeback to dirt rally 2. Then you'll understand. That what happened to me with Dirt Rally 1, I couldn't take it serous no more. Good games though.    

I would suggest you go out and drive a real car fast on loose surfaces, like snow, and compare that to RBR and to DR2, to judge who is closer to reality.
Also, notice how I said exclude tarmac? Nobodys arguing DR2's tarmac physics are true sim and if you compare it to AC it loses badly, sure.  You're comparing apples to papayas here.

But try this: drive a lap in AC only on the grass, not on the tarmac. Do that with a real car in the real world. And then do it in DR2.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 4

The reference shouldn't be another game that was made many moons ago, the reference should be real life. Watch rally or motor racing in general, cars drive much better IRL. 

• Like 1

Most of us don't have a moving rig so that near to real life we won't get for a long while.

To make dirt rally (3??) closer to sim it is not just about physics. Think of damage better to real life, think of unexpected mechanical troubles. If you are a top 10 driver you 'hurt' the car more than a top 100 driver so your chance for mechanical failure is higher. That sort of things makes it a sim also.

Maybe some kind of "first things first" approach would be nice for future titles. With DR2.0, CM have struggled with some very rudimentary stuff such as correct gearboxes for each car, AI consistency, metric units in speedometers, windshield wipers, daytime weather, driver position in cockpit view, FFB. Maybe when they get all the basics working right then we can think of adding more advanced sim features.

Posted (edited)

Field of view adjustment for us console peasants 

mods feel free to move this to appropriate section

Edited by Frankiestail

If anyone fancies a little spin round Wales and Scotland, here's a Club for you 🙂