DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

13 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

IF CM gets into the habit of releasing just a few tracks to later sell older ones as DLC that's not going to go over very well. Unless the next game is in a new engine, they have little reason to do so either.

As to other forms of DiRTy motorsport, I really liked the variety that the first 3 Dirt games offered. I like Baja trucks and dune buggies, but D4 was pretty **** with only what, 3? and they only raced on the boring small circuit stages. If they had more content like the original title with Kamaz trucks, Baja, etc. I'd be all for it. 

Wasn't there a thing recently that Milestone lost the WRC license, or am I crazy?

Dirt 2 and 3 all had no service park and the tracks were much too short
The best part I think is Colin McRae Dirt that you can still play from time to time

3 hours ago, gleylancer571 said:

Dirt 2 and 3 all had no service park and the tracks were much too short
The best part I think is Colin McRae Dirt that you can still play from time to time

Dirt 2 had the menu system that everyone hated so they reverted and removed it from Dirt 3. Not that it's essential. The rally tracks actually weren't too bad. But this argument is flawed, just because an older title didn't have current features doesn't mean a new entry won't. Unless you mean they were worse games, in which I still disagree. There's was plenty to do in the other motorsports in D2 and D3. Gymkhana was fun, but it's major downfall was the campaign forced it on people.

• Agree 4

12 hours ago, gleylancer571 said:

Although I'm a bad person I made it with the Porsche 911 at the GT event in winning class 2 and by the way in group B RWD I get along best with the Lancia 037

i fix it for YOU 

• Disagree 1

Dirt 2 and 3 have great locations: Kenya, Malaysia or Croatia but the stages are much too short and the Service Park is missing.

16 hours ago, tbtstt said:

Ah, guess that would be this then*?...

* Apologies everyone for tainting the mighty DiRT thread with inferior motorsport. 

Yes, I'm helping out on bits and bobs for F1 2020; for announce I helped make the thumbnail for the trailer, adopting FOM styling (F1 game's YouTube didn't use many custom thumbnails before).

Nothing as in-depth (yet) as what I did on DiRT Rally 2.0, but over time my focus will shift more towards F1 this year.

15 hours ago, gleylancer571 said:

It would be cool if a older Colin McRae Game  would join the next Dirt Rally game as a bonus

I may be getting this wrong, but I feel that after Colin passed there was some sort of agreement between Codemasters and his estate to not have his name as the title of a full game anymore.

To my knowledge the FLAT OUT Pack is the first time his name's been used for a major gaming content piece of any kind since Colin McRae: DiRT.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

I may be getting this wrong, but I feel that after Colin passed there was some sort of agreement between Codemasters and his estate to not have his name as the title of a full game anymore.

To my knowledge the FLAT OUT Pack is the first time his name's been used for a major gaming content piece of any kind since Colin McRae: DiRT.

So with other words older games where "Colin" is in the title may not be marketed again ?

16 minutes ago, gleylancer571 said:

So with other words older games where "Colin" is in the title may not be marketed again ?

I didn't say that specifically, moreso that I don't think we'll see a new "Colin McRae" game for quite a while.

Then again, who knows. FLAT OUT showed there's still a lot of love out there for Colin 🙂 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

DiRT 2 used his name in the title as well @PJTierney, it was dropped for DiRT 3. 

Whether it was by agreement or not, I was glad to see the name removed: I personally think it would have cheapened it if they had continued to attach his name to games that he obviously had no involvement with. 

I think the inclusion of classic McRae liveries is a nice way to maintain a connection to the previous games and the DR2.0 tribute is, in my opinion, very tastefully done. 

Edited by tbtstt
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

Why should CM use the name of Colin McRae again in a games title?

It is a while since he sadly lost his life and inbetween there is a new generation who would ask "Colin who?" If you missed the great years of Colin driving it won't appeal to you.

Let his name and also the games series be a good memory, bringing his name back in a new game won't never ever add something to that!

• Agree 1

Colin McRae Rally 2.0 as a free bonus for the next Dirt Rally would have made me very happy even with changed names 😉

There are other games where you can get the previous ones for free for example Ace Combat

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Janneman60 said:

Why should CM use the name of Colin McRae again in a games title?

It is a while since he sadly lost his life and inbetween there is a new generation who would ask "Colin who?" If you missed the great years of Colin driving it won't appeal to you.

Let his name and also the games series be a good memory, bringing his name back in a new game won't never ever add something to that! 

That's not the point, I just suggested that there are older games as a bonus in the next Dirt Rally.
But this is not possible because the previous games are called Colin McRae, so apart from the Dirt Games

Edited by gleylancer571

7 hours ago, gleylancer571 said:

Dirt 2 and 3 have great locations: Kenya, Malaysia or Croatia but the stages are much too short and the Service Park is missing.

Dirt 2 had the menu system that everyone hated so they reverted and removed it from Dirt 3. Not that it's essential. The rally tracks actually weren't too bad. But this argument is flawed, just because an older title didn't have current features doesn't mean a new entry won't. Unless you mean they were worse games, in which I still disagree. There's was plenty to do in the other motorsports in D2 and D3. Gymkhana was fun, but it's major downfall was the campaign forced it on people.

5 hours ago, tbtstt said:

Whether it was by agreement or not, I was glad to see the name removed: I personally think it would have cheapened it if they had continued to attach his name to games that he obviously had no involvement with. 

Meanwhile somewhere Tom Clancy is spinning in his grave.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JZStudios said:

Meanwhile somewhere Tom Clancy is spinning in his grave.

His name has been attached to some great things... and a whole lot of rubbish! 

• Haha 1

On 4/15/2020 at 1:53 PM, gleylancer571 said:

Although I'm a bad driver I made it with the Porsche 911 at the GT event in winning class 2 and by the way in group B RWD I get along best with the Lancia 037

i think i can answer these

• yes
  • wrc makes their own games where they have a lot of creative control. also, the relationship between CM and the WRC seems to be ... not great.
  • very, very unlikely
  • probably not
8 hours ago, tbtstt said:

DiRT 2 used his name in the title as well @PJTierney, it was dropped for DiRT 3. 

I think the inclusion of classic McRae liveries is a nice way to maintain a connection to the previous games and the DR2.0 tribute is, in my opinion, very tastefully done. 

yeah, I suspect that likely happened because they had already agreed to use his name for Dirt 2 before he died. so while his name is in the official title, it's quite de-emphasized in the media for the game as well as in the game itself.

1 hour ago, tbtstt said:

His name has been attached to some great things... and a whole lot of rubbish! 

really? what great things? I read one of his books as a teenager and it remains one of the worst pieces of literature I've ever encountered. and that includes a Star Wars novel or two...

• Disagree 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, ianism said:

i think i can answer these

• yes
  • wrc makes their own games where they have a lot of creative control. also, the relationship between CM and the WRC seems to be ... not great.
  • very, very unlikely
  • probably not

I don't see any connection why I drove in winning class two at these GT events

Edited by gleylancer571
  • Confused 1

Interesting how DiRT Rally 2.0 became a PS Plus game gives especially this YT video of mine a huge increase of views 😮 

image.thumb.png.28e1cfa5977744a0d990d65f6375a8f1.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JorritVD said:

Interesting how DiRT Rally 2.0 became a PS Plus game gives especially this YT video of mine a huge increase of views 😮 

image.thumb.png.28e1cfa5977744a0d990d65f6375a8f1.png

I'm seeing the same on my tutorial videos from launch day, big bump.

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, somethingthing said:

6 daily challenges and 3 of them are h2 rwd 😕

yes unfortunately but seen over the whole week every vehicle class has come

But look at the weekly events..... two times group B...
I hope the next monthly and weekly events are more varied

Edited by gleylancer571

Just some rant... Because of the pandemic... There's should be a huge amount of professional beta tester available...