DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Codies would lose a serious purchaser base, DR-heads, if they get wind that Dirt 5 has dumbed down the handling in a fundamental way. 

No way I would buy it. If I want an arcade rally game, I'd go for Art of Rally or somesuch. Dirt 5 is going to have realistic visuals, car interiors, etc. It'd basically suck for players like me with any kind of arcadish handling, and I've no doubt I'm not alone. 

• Haha 2
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Jake Cushing said:

Codies would lose a serious purchaser base, DR-heads, if they get wind that Dirt 5 has dumbed down the handling in a fundamental way. 

No way I would buy it. If I want an arcade rally game, I'd go for Art of Rally or somesuch. Dirt 5 is going to have realistic visuals, car interiors, etc. It'd basically suck for players like me with any kind of arcadish handling, and I've no doubt I'm not alone. 

In the same way that dirt rally 2 sucks for those that want a fun, easy to play racing game? It’s quite simple, skip this game and wait for dirt rally 3

• Agree 7

1 minute ago, Jake Cushing said:

As far as I understand Rally is coming back eventually, it's just another studios' DiRT game that'll come first.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

I meant to check last night. Other than the Solberg and Christmas liveries, I assume there were no new liveries added to the game? 

• Agree 1

Because I think I started all this mess by asking for the DR2 handling model to be available in the New game😬, I wanted to say that whatever the handling model is, as far as you can understand what the car is doing and have no problems adapting to the controls, the main thing is for the game to be fun and exciting like Colin Mcrae Dirt 2 and DiRT 3. If it is really good then handling will not be an issue.

Because anyway, I am expecting a thrilling rally simulation by Codies in the future by the name of DiRT Rally 3.

So yeah there is no point in arguing about certain things that we are going to find out very very soon. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Dirt 2.3 and GRID were absolutely brilliant games for pick up and play. I had loads of friends that were not at all interested in racing games that would play them all the time. We used to have a blast playing them, particularly the party modes on Dirt 3 and demolition derby on grid

• Agree 2

Btw the arcade/simulation option was in no way the reason Dirt 4 did not succeed. 

That had everything to do with the sim handling being nerfed and lifeless, and Mystage just not working well (and the consequent reduction in overall rally locations) 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, RallyDriven said:

Dirt 2.3 and GRID were absolutely brilliant games for pick up and play. I had loads of friends that were not at all interested in racing games that would play them all the time. We used to have a blast playing them, particularly the party modes on Dirt 3 and demolition derby on grid

Yeah. As much as people give the gymkhana element of that game grief, the party modes connected to it were brilliant. 

• Agree 3

5 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

Yeah. As much as people give the gymkhana element of that game grief, the party modes connected to it were brilliant. 

Probably controversial but I really enjoyed the free roam gymkhana on dirt 3. The actual career events sucked a bit. The biggest shame was gymkhana in dirt showdown (going to be really controversial here). The dockyard gymkhana arena was really good, and the career events were time attack based if I remember rightly, more like the real life Gymkhana grid events. They were actually pretty good, but the handling sucked and you couldn’t turn off the assists which tried to lock you into doughnuts.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

If you look back through recent titles, it is possible to have a more casual-friendly game with a decent handling model. GRID is a good example, cars are fun to drive and push hard in that, even with all the assists off.

Uhm, I just hope the new DIRT will NOT be an offroad version of GRID. I don't like GRID at all. It has a lack of vision and it misses depth.

Handling model is subjective, as I find a simulation handling model much more easier than an arcade model (as my mind have difficulties to understand unrealistic behaviour). 

• Agree 2

I still go back and play DiRT 2 a lot.  I like the locations and driving the trucks.  It reminds me a lot of why I like Forza Horizon, the handling is predictable and works, there is a atmosphere in both games that put you in a "world" that says lets have fun.  Both are great to play with friends online and in person.  D3 had its moments that I liked, KB was fine for me, just wasn't a fan of being forced to play all disciplines to complete, like many have commented.

If what is next has good immersion and not forcing the game to be difficult just to take it serious, I will like it.  

Who has played the new GRID?  Do you like it?  I haven't tried it, watched some videos, and IDK not sure about it.

Posted (edited)

what I'm excited about for this game is what new locations we'd get and whether they could be added to the next DR game

Malaysia, Kenya, Japan, Croatia, China, Utah & Morocco would all be v cool, to take examples from past Dirt games. less focus on Europe would be nice, (unless the licence for the European Rally Championship is possible)

52 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

I meant to check last night. Other than the Solberg and Christmas liveries, I assume there were no new liveries added to the game? 

depends whether you count the Gronholm/Heikkinen/Nitiss/Timurzyanov ones 

wink wink nudge nudge

16 minutes ago, Thierry97 said:

are you sure it's Dirt 5 ???:classic_sleep:

I would say we are like 85% sure. also, the person quoted below likely has more information than the rest of us 😉

1 hour ago, UP100 said:

As far as I understand Rally is coming back eventually, it's just another studios' DiRT game that'll come first.

Edited by ianism

3 minutes ago, gfRally said:

Who has played the new GRID?  Do you like it?  I haven't tried it, watched some videos, and IDK not sure about it.

I like it as a casual game on a pad, but when I want to take my driving seriously it's either Rally or F1.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PJTierney said:

I like it as a casual game on a pad, but when I want to take my driving seriously it's either Rally or F1.

Hey, you don't count, your biased!!  :classic_laugh:

Nah, I appreciate your honesty @PJTierney

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thierry97 said:

are you sure it's Dirt 5 ???:classic_sleep:

Look the dirt pics (Purple  pink...   Light color) with logo same like old dirt (1 , 2 , 3 ...) , dirt rally  have serious logo and dark  color for me is dirt 5 not dr 3.0

• Agree 2

25 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Though the FFB feels really nice for a game that isn't aiming to be any kind of simulator!

I’ve been waiting to see if GRID gets added to gamepass.

I think this new dirt game will be either simply called DIRT like grid 2019 was, or maybe DIRT something to differentiate it more from Dirt rally. 

Is there any hope for a realistic livery on the 2007 Focus? 

4 minutes ago, macebig said:

Is there any hope for a realistic livery on the 2007 Focus? 

None planned, sorry.

A Season livery was granted to that car (which is rare as all other Season liveries are for base game cars).

The '01 Focus got a new livery purely because it was being used in the Colin McRae Scenarios.

On 4/7/2020 at 6:40 PM, Rogerbee said:

Could you try doing the same with the Valvoline livery for the Kadett?

Can you give access then to skin modders to do skins for the DLC. Then at least we get some great liverys and more

people will purchase the game. Everyone's a winner.

3 hours ago, RallyDriven said:

Probably controversial but I really enjoyed the free roam gymkhana on dirt 3. The actual career events sucked a bit. The biggest shame was gymkhana in dirt showdown (going to be really controversial here). The dockyard gymkhana arena was really good, and the career events were time attack based if I remember rightly, more like the real life Gymkhana grid events. They were actually pretty good, but the handling sucked and you couldn’t turn off the assists which tried to lock you into doughnuts.

Praise for DiRT Showdown? Is that allowed on the forum?... :classic_laugh: 

3 hours ago, ianism said:

Depends whether you count the Gronholm/Heikkinen/Nitiss/Timurzyanov ones 

It was a plain blue WRC98 that I had in mind but, now you have mentioned it, I wondered if the driver allocation mentioned in the patch notes applied to any of the above drivers...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kenny1962 said:

Can you give access then to skin modders to do skins for the DLC.

DLC is going to remain encrypted for various reasons, sorry.

• Sad 1
  • Disagree 2