DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

Fairly certain it's not Codemasters for this one 😉 

Also, new DiRT Rally 2.0 video dropping on YouTube later this evening.

It's not an announcement, but you may enjoy it 🙂 

Still waiting for the i20 GRX cars 😄 But as it is not an announcement, it won't be those. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Because it has got Hyundais in it? 😁

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, PJTierney said:

So sms perhaps?

Absolute weapon. I should definitely drive it more, but man, the turbo lag is astronomical! You really need to mess around too much with gearing to minimize that. 

Posted (edited)

Bonkers machine! Scared me to death in Colin McRae Rally and still does!

Edited by Rogerbee

20 minutes ago, richie said:

Absolute weapon. I should definitely drive it more, but man, the turbo lag is astronomical! You really need to mess around too much with gearing to minimize that. 

Turbo can't lag if you never lift your right foot up 😏

Seriously though, the Quattro needs to be driven like nothing else in the game. I have to jam the brakes so hard it feels like I'm doing stoppies with the car just to get the back end around.

• Like 1

I actually like driving the quattro. It is definitely a handful and, although it is laggy, I find the power delivery less brutal than the 205 T16. 

8 hours ago, richie said:

So it seems a sound designer just left Codies. Not good. NOT good! 

Please don't tell me it's this guy

46 minutes ago, Mike Dee said:

Seriously though, the Quattro needs to be driven like nothing else in the game.

If you don't look like a Minifig when you're driving it you're not going fast enough:

I'm not surprised the Audi Quattro minifig has this face as an ...

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)

Really nice video... but '591' hp should definitely be in quotation marks

(also, those US stages are some of the best rally stages in any game - hope you find some more 'lesser known' gems like these for whatever Rally does next)

Edited by RodgerDavies
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, RGgiac said:

No no, don't worry everyone, Lorenzo wasn't one of the main sound guys, Chris is absolutely still there and super busy last i heard, and Dave does a lot of the engine work we hear in DR, he works on the stuff Chris gets from the field, like in the video.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, richie said:

So it seems a sound designer just left Codies. Not good. NOT good! 

Eh, one of them left CM and they're working with the BeamNG guys, so they're finally starting to get some audio going. Spread the love man. Since that CM guy went to BeamNG it's gotten proper engine audio, 5.1 support, foley sound, impacts, surface types, etc.

9 hours ago, RGgiac said:

No offense to the guy, but nothing in that video is anything someone else couldn't do. I mean, he probably does other stuff, but recording isn't that hard.

2 hours ago, JZStudios said:

No offense to the guy, but nothing in that video is anything someone else couldn't do. I mean, he probably does other stuff, but recording isn't that hard.

So what about that most others games/studios can't get the job done? 🙄

4 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Indeed. You would probably do it even better, right? You seem like a jack of all trades kinda guy. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Janneman60 said:

Sound in sims is getting better and better - Codemasters' has been really good since I first entered a tunnel in a Stratos in DR1 and exited beaming from ear to ear, but Raceroom is the gold standard IMO. Beyond that, ACC is a huge improvement from AC and is definitely top tier.

Other games like Il2 Sturmovik have also been improving loads in this area too.

Edited by RodgerDavies

ACC has been praised a lot for its sounds but I think they're overdone and overrated. Engine, chassis, suspension, everything. A notch less would've been much more. If you drive over a kerb it sounds like you have a bag full of tools and screws in the back of your car. 

Again, I think the goal should be more realism, so the reference here is reality, real life. Kunos coded exhaust sounds into the cockpit. Exhaust pipes ending in the cockpit are deadly, not what you want in a real car. An Aston Martin V12 GT3 sounds amazing when it drives by, inside the cockpit it doesn't sound as spectacular at all. That's just how it is. What you hear most is transmission whine. No exhaust crackles and pops. 

I think DiRT Rally sounds are exceptionally good. If they keep the quality for the next iteration it'll be as amazing as it is now, leaving nothing to wish for. Glad that it wasn't the main sound guy who left. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Janneman60 said:

Huh? Most sound design is done in the studio and CM have pushed hard into sound design since the launch of the 360. Doing field or foley recording isn't particularly difficult.

BeamNG literally didn't have a sound designer until they got the guy from CM. Kunos Simulazioni is garbage and can't tell their ass from their elbows. They actually had a big post on their forum about how they do their sound recording, and it's most of the same equipment and it still sounds bad. They barely have functioning surround sound. I mean, that might've changed with the switch to UE4, but AC is not good.

7 hours ago, bogani said:

Indeed. You would probably do it even better, right? You seem like a jack of all trades kinda guy. 

I have. It's not that hard. It's the sound mixing and in game audio engine implementation that's the *****. This is like watching a guy do a full restoration on a car and then only being impressed because he changed the oil. But right, I'm an idiot. Let's just all point at me and talk about how dumb I am for pointing out simple things that no one else understands. Can you tape a microphone to a car? Can you hit a record button? Then you can do it too. Other than that it's just making sure you aren't getting too much wind noise, which is what the dead cats are for, and that you aren't blowing out the mics, which is why the guy mentioned that they reject 32dB.

The in game audio is absolutely not the straight raw recorded audio. I'll go back to Beam because it only used to have like 4 engine sounds, 1 impact sound, and only stereo. Since the CM guy joined the team, the game now has proper surround sound, has multiple surface collision/dragging sounds, has all the same sound sources of cabin/engine/exhaust with occlusion, that all blend together as you move around the car. None of that has anything to do with recording, it's the implementation and mixing.

"But they had to record those sounds... unghh..."

Yes, but surround sound, audio occlusion, surface types, etc. literally didn't have any of that code. That's what the sound designer does. It's way more than just recording audio. But like, **** me, I'm a big dum dum.

4 hours ago, richie said:

ACC has been praised a lot for its sounds but I think they're overdone and overrated. Engine, chassis, suspension, everything. A notch less would've been much more. If you drive over a kerb it sounds like you have a bag full of tools and screws in the back of your car. 

Again, I think the goal should be more realism, so the reference here is reality, real life. Kunos coded exhaust sounds into the cockpit. Exhaust pipes ending in the cockpit are deadly, not what you want in a real car. An Aston Martin V12 GT3 sounds amazing when it drives by, inside the cockpit it doesn't sound as spectacular at all. That's just how it is. What you hear most is transmission whine. No exhaust crackles and pops. 

I haven't listened to ACC, and AC is garbage, but race cars, particularly GT cars, are really freaking loud.

I just looked up onboard audio, and it sounds pretty freaking similar in YT and ACC, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, RodgerDavies said:

Sound in sims is getting better and better - Codemasters' has been really good since I first entered a tunnel in a Stratos in DR1 and exited beaming from ear to ear, but Raceroom is the gold standard IMO. Beyond that, ACC is a huge improvement from AC and is definitely top tier.

Other games like Il2 Sturmovik have also been improving loads in this area too.

Hello fellow flight-simmer!  

I am not an expert on car sounds and what all the types should sound like, except for Audi and US rally spec Subarus.  

Yes there have been improvements from DR1.  But there have been some steps backwards too.  

2 that irk me most are inside the car since D4 has sounded like all the factory interior is still in the car, very muffled, I praised everyone for finally getting it in DR1 where it should sound loud and ‘tinny’.  Second is the environment effects or reflections.  Finland and Wales sound horrible in this instance.   Does not sound like you in the woods at all, there should be echos from backfires (or antilag) and some reverberations from the cars.  Dense forests should be similar to that zone when you enter a tunnel, not exactly but similar.  DR1 wasn’t exactly perfect but was much more dynamic.   We finally got improved trackside cameras and this was lost. Its a shame. 

I could go on about other sounds but I don’t want to be like I hate everything,which I do not, lots of great sounds there! 

EDITED: for fat finger mistakes typing on the phone

Edited by gfRally
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)

One aspect of sound in 2.0 I can't help feel is still missing is a constant sound of the tires on the ground surface. When I drive a regular vehicle there is an ever-present 'roar' which gets louder or softer depending on how smooth the road is beneath. It seems there is only the road surface noise in DR2.0 when the car is sliding or otherwise changing its grip level, but that more constant sound seems not to be present.

Am I right with feeling this, or is it something that's actually there in the game (I doubt it), or is it just not something you would expect to hear?

I do love the audio in this game otherwise, but wish I still didn't have to re-balance levels for some vehicles in order to hear either the co-driver or the engine.

Edited by Jake Cushing

On 5/20/2020 at 7:41 PM, gfRally said:

Yes there have been improvements from DR1.  But there have been some steps backwards too.

Yep, much more reverb inside the cockpits in DR1 which gave it more punch and rawness. I also miss that. 

It's a sound design decision though. I know the sound designer prefer what we have in DR2.