DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Talking about sounds, is it just me or is EVO 6 the only car that doesn't have the sound recorded from the real car? Does anyone know which car they used for recordings?

54 minutes ago, RGgiac said:

Talking about sounds, is it just me or is EVO 6 the only car that doesn't have the sound recorded from the real car? Does anyone know which car they used for recordings?

It's Evo.

8 hours ago, RGgiac said:

from 'a' real car or 'the' real car? There are a few that are using donor sounds from other cars I believe.

Real works group A evo's are incredibly hard to find now, Ralliart themselves destroyed a lot of their works cars a long time ago.

Engine sounds are very good in the game. But all cars missing the transmission sounds (I don't mean shifting sound), in some cases that sound should be even louder as the engine sound.

11 hours ago, RGgiac said:

I don't know if they use exactly Evo 6 Sound, but i know they have Evo 9 group N sound recorded,  and the Lancer 2005 WRC sound recorded.. so they most likely use Mitsubishi sound (They all use 4G63 engine )

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, dani211212 said:

I don't know if they use exactly Evo 6 Sound, but i know they have Evo 9 group N sound recorded,  and the Lancer 2005 WRC sound recorded.. so they most likely use Mitsubishi sound (They all use 4G63 engine )

Yeah I know that Fabia WRC is using the sound from an Octavia for example, but they both sound the same so it doesn't matter. However the Evo 6 doesn't sound like a real Evo 6.

20 hours ago, bogani said:

Yep, much more reverb inside the cockpits in DR1 which gave it more punch and rawness. I also miss that. 

It's a sound design decision though. I know the sound designer prefer what we have in DR2. 

I thought it was supposed to be too taxing on the CPU, because for whatever reason it was dynamic instead of just a filter.

9 hours ago, sqdstr said:

Real works group A evo's are incredibly hard to find now, Ralliart themselves destroyed a lot of their works cars a long time ago.

Oh? I didn't know Mr. The Block worked with them.

@urgaffel How does this make you feel? 

https://jangafx.com/software/embergen/

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 2:08 PM, RGgiac said:

Yeah I know that Fabia WRC is using the sound from an Octavia for example, but they both sound the same so it doesn't matter. However the Evo 6 doesn't sound like a real Evo 6.

I dont know if you ever heard Fabia and Octavia WRC together in one place - they sound very different each 😄 I am from Czech Republic so I think I can judge this - rally fan since 1998. 

1 hour ago, JanBradáč said:

I dont know if you ever heard Fabia and Octavia WRC together in one place - they sound very different each 😄 I am from Czech Republic so I think I can judge this - rally fan since 1998. 

No no, rally is not so popular in my country and there are no Skodas here. I only heard it on YouTube videos, so you're probably right about the sounds 🙂

• Like 1

A series of videos has gone up on YouTube, on how both strands of DIRT work together 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, urgaffel said:

Warm and fuzzy inside. I've been using it for a while 😉

Oooh, best be ready gents, next gen dust coming #soon.

Just out of curiosity, since it's actually running real time, what kind of hardware is needed for that? It also claims to have game integration, but I'm kind of assuming that's still primarily sprite based or something.

Also, are you primarily focusing on one title, or are you working on multiples?

Edited by JZStudios

1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

A series of videos has gone up on YouTube, on how both strands of DIRT work together 🙂 

This makes me really happy and very certain that we will see a sequel to dirt rally 2.0!

12 minutes ago, somethingthing said:

This makes me really happy and very certain that we will see a sequel to dirt rally 2.0!

that was pretty clear from the get go.

• Agree 1

What this means is that Dirt Rally 3.0 simply can not skimp on a decent career mode.

And by God it'd better be offline. 

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, urgaffel said:

Warm and fuzzy inside. I've been using it for a while 😉

DR2 makes very clever use of 2D sprites for the dust right? Is this different?

Also I would very much like for Codemasters to go a bit more in depth with a blog or video in the future about EGO engine.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Oooh, best be ready gents, next gen dust coming #soon.

Just out of curiosity, since it's actually running real time, what kind of hardware is needed for that? It also claims to have game integration, but I'm kind of assuming that's still primarily sprite based or something.

Also, are you primarily focusing on one title, or are you working on multiples?

EmberGen runs in realtime by using your graphics card to the max. The better the card, the more complex things you can do without any slowdown. On my machine with a 970 GTX it runs fine, on my other machine with a 2070 RTX it runs even better 🙂 The in-game integration is indeed sprite based, it can output a bunch of handy source data so it's not just colour but other things as well that we can use to make things pretty. There is an option to export volume data but that is not for realtime use, it's waaay too costly to do it in a game (for now anyway).

I've had a hand in many titles 🙂

45 minutes ago, chukonu said:

DR2 makes very clever use of 2D sprites for the dust right? Is this different?

Also I would very much like for Codemasters to go a bit more in depth with a blog or video in the future about EGO engine.

The only difference is the way the 2D sprites are generated. EmberGen works with true volumetrics and real time fluid simulations including combustion etc. The nice thing is that you can tweak stuff in real time and see it update immediately. In most other software (FumeFX, Houdini etc) you tweak your values then simulate which can take anywhere from a few minutes to hours to days before you see what those tweaks look like. EmberGen cuts down the iteration time significantly, but you still end up with 2D sprites in the end.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Have the developers at codies seen the amount of erallies ongoing at the minute? Many UK national rallies are running erallies in place of their actual events The Malcolm Wilson rally being the latest to run an event. Would be great if Codies allowed clubs to select any car from any class so each rally could have loads of different classes running in one event.

Edited by Matt555
  • Agree 2

@tbtstt so KBhas invited Travis Pastrana to do Gymkahna 11 Entirely and in some kind of crazy subaru.  

So where does this leave Ford?