Jump to content

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

 

Message added by PJTierney

Recommended Posts

Well the ending of Gymkhana 10 suggested that the future of the series was with Pastrana, didn't it? 

Sure Block will dream up more ways to promote the Ford brand outside of the gymkhana series. As much as I want to see Pastrana thrashing a Scoob, I do wonder what else can be done now? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Matt555 said:

Have the developers at codies seen the amount of erallies ongoing at the minute?

We've seen so many we hired somebody to keep track of them all 😉 

 

2 hours ago, Matt555 said:

Many UK national rallies are running erallies in place of their actual events The Malcolm Wilson rally being the latest to run an event.

BRC have been running a series too, we shared their stream last night. Hoping to get the broadcasts up onto the YouTube later today.

 

2 hours ago, Matt555 said:

Would be great if Codies allowed clubs to select any car from any class so each rally could have loads of different classes running in one event.

This isn't in the works, sorry.

  • Thanks 1
  • Disagree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, urgaffel said:

EmberGen runs in realtime by using your graphics card to the max. The better the card, the more complex things you can do without any slowdown. On my machine with a 970 GTX it runs fine, on my other machine with a 2070 RTX it runs even better 🙂 The in-game integration is indeed sprite based, it can output a bunch of handy source data so it's not just colour but other things as well that we can use to make things pretty. There is an option to export volume data but that is not for realtime use, it's waaay too costly to do it in a game (for now anyway).

Oh, wow, that's way more impressive. I was thinking it would need at least a 10 series or something. If you can actually run it on a 970 that's pretty crazy.

They had a demo with some UE4 integration, but it didn't seem to handle in game scene light data very well. For reference it was a cave in scene, but when some sprites kicked up when most of the light was extinguished the dust sprites were pretty bright. I guess that's unlikely to be a major issue here though since it's primarily outdoors in sunlight.

Little disappointing that there won't be any volumetrics, even low res ones. BF4 and Horizon 2 had volumetric clouds, though not particularly high res. Then Horizon went to HDR skyboxes and I still have no idea how they managed to make them dynamic, though I haven't spent much time in H3 and H4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tbtstt said:

Well the ending of Gymkhana 10 suggested that the future of the series was with Pastrana, didn't it? 

Sure Block will dream up more ways to promote the Ford brand outside of the gymkhana series. As much as I want to see Pastrana thrashing a Scoob, I do wonder what else can be done now? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 esports streams tonight, about 30 minutes each, enjoy 🙂 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have a feeling the graphics for DR3.0 are going to be mind-blowingly insane.

The change in graphics power of the next generation of consoles and PC cards looks like a bigger leap than ever before, especially with ray tracing becoming a standard.

This should mean a step towards ultra-realism that is berserk. It will definitely be a bigger leap than the graphics between DR1 and 2.0

 

575438923.jpg.e79e9c02d21850a06860fe753d7158d8.jpg

 

Edited by Jake Cushing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Calling a software for visual effects 'Houdini' is hilarious ^^

Edited by richie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2020 at 6:01 PM, JZStudios said:

Oh, wow, that's way more impressive. I was thinking it would need at least a 10 series or something. If you can actually run it on a 970 that's pretty crazy.

They had a demo with some UE4 integration, but it didn't seem to handle in game scene light data very well. For reference it was a cave in scene, but when some sprites kicked up when most of the light was extinguished the dust sprites were pretty bright. I guess that's unlikely to be a major issue here though since it's primarily outdoors in sunlight.

Little disappointing that there won't be any volumetrics, even low res ones. BF4 and Horizon 2 had volumetric clouds, though not particularly high res. Then Horizon went to HDR skyboxes and I still have no idea how they managed to make them dynamic, though I haven't spent much time in H3 and H4.

Lighting in-engine is always going to be tricky because you're trying to simulate a 3d volume on a 2d plane 🙂 Actual volumetrics are still low res like you say, and it's hard to make them look good. There is some cool stuff in Unreal Engine 4 though but it's still very expensive to run

Destiny 2 uses volumetric fog to good effect here and there but as far as I know there's almost no one who uses "true" volumetrics for anything other than skies or small fog patches.

The skies in Horizon 3 and 4 use HDR sequences together with Motion Vectors to blend between the frames. They capture real skies with a bunch of cameras over a long period of time to get all sorts of conditions. There's a GDC talk about the skies in Forza Horizon 3 and they improved it for FH 4.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rallycameraman said:

This is so cool and unexpected! Can’t believe we have to wait three years for it though! Hope the wrc is in good shape at that point for the game!

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah getting the WRC license to do games is massive. kinda makes sense of all the recent push in advertising and big faces in events recently. finally we getting somewhere. great news ! 😎

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RallyDriven said:

This is so cool and unexpected! Can’t believe we have to wait three years for it though! Hope the wrc is in good shape at that point for the game!

Even if the WRC isn't in a great state, a Codemasters rally game with an expanded roster of historic 2.0L and 1.6L World Rally Cars is sure to be fantastic. 

I wonder if the new title(s) will fall under the "DiRT Rally" banner, or be released as "WRC"? I guess the former if rally and rallycross are still to fall under the same title. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah its either going to be all under the WRC banner but i cant see that as they often do modern cars. also branding ip. dirt rally has its own brand and you never know how long you will have the license. si im guessing seperate titles. maybe why dirt 5 and dirt rally are trying to be seperated more. so you have clear titles and know what you getting. so WRC , Dirt Rally , Dirt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great news IMHO, but ...............for me the return of classics is important ! WRC cars i find amazing , just not that amazing to drive 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have Dirt rally 2 to wait with so it's easy 😉

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, urgaffel said:

The skies in Horizon 3 and 4 use HDR sequences together with Motion Vectors to blend between the frames. They capture real skies with a bunch of cameras over a long period of time to get all sorts of conditions. There's a GDC talk about the skies in Forza Horizon 3 and they improved it for FH 4.

The only thing I kind of dislike about the new method of HDRs is that they feel pasted onto a skybox, and not as 3D as FH2's system. I can understand the HDR method being simpler though. I remember them talking about how in FH2 the atmosphere is physically calculated, and you can see physical rainbows after the rain if you're in the right spot. I don't see how that would be done with the HDR system without having the rainbow baked in or forced on in certain areas.

Part of me wishes they did something like Burnout Paradise and let you change the time scale or match local time. I always thought that was really cool and I don't know why more games don't do it. Would probably help smooth out some of the transitions too.

Edited by JZStudios

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Given how bad the WRC game series has been, one would almost be reluctant to take over the series and have the association with the Codemasters name.

Codies should do their utmost to distance themselves from Kylotonn's output.

I actually also wonder how much in additional sales there are from WRC licensed games. I would bet that right now, Dirt Rally 2.0 has made about 3-5 times as much as WRC8, factoring in all the DLC.

 

 

Edited by Jake Cushing
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Rallycameraman said:

Oh my, I had actually forgotten how it felt to read good news in 2020...

Glad Codies finally get the recognition they deserve, the best rally games developers really deserve a shot at WRC!

21 hours ago, tbtstt said:

Even if the WRC isn't in a great state, a Codemasters rally game with an expanded roster of historic 2.0L and 1.6L World Rally Cars is sure to be fantastic. 

I wonder if the new title(s) will fall under the "DiRT Rally" banner, or be released as "WRC"? I guess the former if rally and rallycross are still to fall under the same title. 

WRC isn't in its best state right now but there will be a rule change in 2022 with the hybrids coming in and potentially more manufacturers interested in the series (one can hope). 

As for the title, I think that DiRT Rally is actually a better brand name than WRC in rally games so I guess they'll keep it in some sort of way because it is more appealing. After all, the two best rally games of the decade were called DiRT Rally. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just praying for more manufacturers to have joined the WRC by 2023 (Subaru, VW, Citroen, Peugeot, Mitsubishi etc). And for some classic rallies to be part of the championship like the Acropolis Rally(The proper stages in Fthiotis f.e. SS Tarzan, not the **** they ran in Argolis), San Remo(SS Langan), Safari Rally etc. With the WRC licence they can surely do many things the could not do before, so I am expecting big things. 

 

IMG_20200602_010412.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, carpa said:

WRC isn't in its best state right now but there will be a rule change in 2022 with the hybrids coming in and potentially more manufacturers interested in the series (one can hope). 

Yeah, it isn't the greatest for manufacturer support at the moment but, that said, I absolutely love the current specification cars! Just imagine taking a current specification car on some of the DR2.0 stages...

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is good news. Some people saying that current state of WRC is pretty bad. Well I guess it is because of the lack of participants, but in other respects it is amazing, we have crazy cars, we have live coverage and really good drivers and even the rally legends coming back. While playing dirt games I allways thought that it would be really intertesting to have WRC rules and details so if that will be done properly, it will be a very interesting game. Also I wonder if new studios that Codies bought will be working on that title.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really enjoyed the new F2 kitcar Scotland weekly event that kicked off today, driving the VW Golf kitcar reminded me of the heyday of the British Rally Championship in the mid-to-late 1990s.

Unfortunately the number of punctures I got was also realistic from what I can remember of the gravel rallies in the UK at the time!

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The VW Kitcar's great, feels fast for a FWD 🙂 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×