DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

4 hours ago, JZStudios said:

In entirely unrelated news, I got bored and messed around with Lego. 50 points to whoever can guess what they are.

download.png.d9f633cd03f750d726d851ebceb3e4f0.png

ME 109, Spitfire and Stuka.

4 hours ago, JZStudios said:

In entirely unrelated news, I got bored and messed around with Lego. 50 points to whoever can guess what they are.

P-51, Spitfire (or maybe Hurricane? and Douglas Destroyer

I'd say the last aircraft on the right is a F4U Corsair. 

• Agree 4

34 minutes ago, merseyxshore said:

Surely the blue one is an F4U Corsair?

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, RodgerDavies said:

Surely the blue one is an F4U Corsair?

I think so: given the wing profile I'd say it is the most distinctive one of the three! 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, JZStudios said:

P51 Mustang,Spitfire or Hurricane and Corsair

Edited by gleylancer571
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

Planes with weapons.

😃

DR2_Speedcar_Xtrem (2).jpg

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Dunoon said:

ME 109, Spitfire and Stuka.

Definitively not a Stuka. The wingtips are round and it's blue. The 109 I can see, but no.

7 hours ago, merseyxshore said:

Correct, correct, I don't even know what that is.

6 hours ago, tbtstt said:

I think so: given the wing profile I'd say it is the most distinctive one of the three! 

That's what I thought. Doesn't look like a Stuka at all. It has the round nose and the distinctive wings. Here I wasn't happy with the Spitfire, but apparently the corsair is just straight terribad.

Alone by the camouflage painting you can already see which planes they are.
A Ju87 Stuka was never available in blue.
The only mystery are the national insignia on the Hawker Hurricane but surely allied from the Pacific War

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JZStudios said:

That's what I thought. Doesn't look like a Stuka at all. It has the round nose and the distinctive wings. Here I wasn't happy with the Spitfire, but apparently the corsair is just straight terribad.

I thought the Corsair was the most identifiable of the three: blue and inverted gull wings instantly means Corsair in my mind! 

I can see the Mustang, but the Spitfire isn't that distinct looking (to me anyway). 

Edited by tbtstt
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, gleylancer571 said:

Alone by the camouflage painting you can already see which planes they are.
A Ju87 Stuka was never available in blue.
The only mystery are the national insignia on the Hawker Hurricane but surely allied from the Pacific War

It's supposed to be a Spitfire, but at this scale in Lego they look very similar. Not really shown here is a small air scoop underneath and the two wing box things. Hurricane don't have that. Based on this image of the two though, I couldn't possibly differentiate between the two at this scale. Although given the tail rudder is so massive, maybe I should just call it the Hurricane...

Barking-creek-1200x0-c-default.jpg.56b968b57b2bb3cf864b56fcefb65f92.jpg

To be 100%, I didn't make the Mustang but I don't think I'd change anything about it. I guess with some color variation it could look more like a German plane. As to the Spitfire insignia, it was just the closest pre-made Lego asset to the RAF roundel.

Just Googled military Lego. Now I want to buy this. 

product-image-1148915646_720x.jpg

• Like 1

If you get the Porsche 911 GT3 RS (I have one), you can turn it into a Lancia Stratos 🙂 

You Should Cannibalize Your Porsche GT3 LEGO To Build This Stratos ...

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

If you get the Porsche 911 GT3 RS (I have one), you can turn it into a Lancia Stratos 🙂 

You Should Cannibalize Your Porsche GT3 LEGO To Build This Stratos ...

I have seen that before: very cool! 

My second passion is aviation, man you guys suck at identifying these.  I admit the middle one could be a Hurricane or a Spit (hard to model at this scale).  I guess as an American the first and last are very clear, I'll give you Brits a something for being confused, since these may not fly as regular over there.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, gfRally said:

I'll give you Brits a something for being confused, since these may not fly as regular over there.

I actually guessed the American aircraft, it was just the Brit one I thought was unclear! 

There are quite a few Mustangs in the UK (only a handful flying), but there is always at least one at any airshow I have ever been too. The Corsair is rare here, only one flying. I have been to Duxford a couple of times to see it. 

Incidentally, if you love aircraft and ever find yourself in the UK then a trip to Duxford is a must. The museum hangars are good, but it is worth the trip just to look round the restoration hangar. 

Posted (edited)
On 8/21/2020 at 6:34 AM, tbtstt said:

I actually guessed the American aircraft, it was just the Brit one I thought was unclear! 

There are quite a few Mustangs in the UK (only a handful flying), but there is always at least one at any airshow I have ever been too. The Corsair is rare here, only one flying. I have been to Duxford a couple of times to see it. 

Incidentally, if you love aircraft and ever find yourself in the UK then a trip to Duxford is a must. The museum hangars are good, but it is worth the trip just to look round the restoration hangar. 

Restoration hangers are the best.  Up close and dirty.  I had access to the Smithsonian AIr and Space museum's restoration and warehouse facility umm... (wow 20 years ago now)  That was incredible to photograph!  Some of the stuff that I saw there hadn't seen in public for more than 40 years.  Many of the pieces have since been moved to display at the Udva-Hazy Center in Washington DC (technically Virginia) which is more like Smithsonian Air and Space museum 2.  Still waiting to see a few of the planes that where way back in the dark corners. 

Going to the UK would be very overwhelming, some of the planes kept in Duxford and a couple others are extremely rare to see.  It must be nice to be a days drive from the Mach Loop/Duxford/all of London historic places/and Wales Rally GB.  I would probably run out of weekends to visit all that I have on my bucket list there 🙂

EDIT - Since I posted this (6hrs ago currently) I was 2 hours into DL MSFS2020 it still has 10gb to go!  This thing is massive.  I have pretty fast internet, too.

Edited by gfRally

On 8/21/2020 at 3:34 AM, tbtstt said:

I just find it interesting that I know (mildly) a bunch of American and British aircraft, and of course the Zero, but barely any German. Seems odd the Brits wouldn't know icons like the Mustang and Corsair. It's not like the Spitfire ever flew over here.

14 hours ago, gfRally said:

Restoration hangers are the best.  Up close and dirty.  I had access to the Smithsonian AIr and Space museum's restoration and warehouse facility umm... (wow 20 years ago now)  That was incredible to photograph!  Some of the stuff that I saw there hadn't seen in public for more than 40 years.  Many of the pieces have since been moved to display at the Udva-Hazy Center in Washington DC (technically Virginia) which is more like Smithsonian Air and Space museum 2.  Still waiting to see a few of the planes that where way back in the dark corners. 

Going to the UK would be very overwhelming, some of the planes kept in Duxford and a couple others are extremely rare to see.  It must be nice to be a days drive from the Mach Loop/Duxford/all of London historic places/and Wales Rally GB.  I would probably run out of weekends to visit all that I have on my bucket list there 🙂

EDIT - Since I posted this (6hrs ago currently) I was 2 hours into DL MSFS2020 it still has 10gb to go!  This thing is massive.  I have pretty fast internet, too.

Luckily here we have the airplane graveyard and the Pima Air & Space which is like the largest private museum. Probably not as cool as the Smithsonian, but they do restorations and most of it is donated. Then there's the air base airshows if you want to see modern stuff.

How big is the download for MSFS?

On 8/22/2020 at 2:49 PM, JZStudios said:

I just find it interesting that I know (mildly) a bunch of American and British aircraft, and of course the Zero, but barely any German. Seems odd the Brits wouldn't know icons like the Mustang and Corsair. It's not like the Spitfire ever flew over here.

Luckily here we have the airplane graveyard and the Pima Air & Space which is like the largest private museum. Probably not as cool as the Smithsonian, but they do restorations and most of it is donated. Then there's the air base airshows if you want to see modern stuff.

How big is the download for MSFS?

Been to PIMA, didn't realize that it was Private.  I got a number of unique photos there, as well.  Not too often do you find a B58 Hustler outside with typical desert dust on it, instead of the rather pristine museum pieces.  

MSFS is around 120gb to download.  I think they say 150gb hard drive space after decompression.  All in all...  I am glad I got it on Gamepass, it crushes my system, and as much hype as there is about the scenery being so detailed, this is based on BING maps not Google.  They do not have the most up to date data, also stuff like bridges are kinda right but they are built like buildings - they are solid objects.  This is different on the hand crafted cities.  I live near one of the cities that has not been touched.   Anyhow, from about 500-1000ft up it looks pretty good except for a few autogen buildings.  

It was satisfying to crash into my house, though!

Btw, about the AI Rallycross fix. The AI in your own race are super slow, while the AI in other races were super fast though. So that caused some strange inconsistent results. 

so the fix should make this a bit better, but not fixes the issue that AI in your own race is superslow in wet condistions. I rather saw that the AI in wet in your own race would be faster with a few percent, so they match the 100% difficulty and the AI times in the other races.