DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

There seem to be a lot of ways for controllers to interface, and whilst i've no idea if the physics poling rate has anything to do with it, i'm wondering if it does.  Someone in the gossip discord just this week had a crash issue that was graphics related, but unplugging their wheel helped with it.

I just did a club in the Ford Mustang in Finland and its air time felt crazy to its weight. I would go as far as say that it felt broken. Can anyone else try that combo and give your opinion about it?

19 hours ago, somethingthing said:

I just did a club in the Ford Mustang in Finland and its air time felt crazy to its weight. I would go as far as say that it felt broken. Can anyone else try that combo and give your opinion about it?

I tried the Ford Mustang GT4 and the Citroën C3 R5 for comparison on the first stage in the Finland time trial list (9+ miles) and nothing seemed broken to me. I think the mustang accelerates faster on long straights and therefore gets more air because it's going over the jumps at a higher speed. It's pretty easy to get the mustang up to 119+ mph on that stage. I was still launching the Citroën pretty well though. I hope this helps.

Edited by FlatOverCrest

1 hour ago, FlatOverCrest said:

I tried the Ford Mustang GT4 and the Citroën C3 R5 for comparison on the first stage in the Finland time trial list (9+ miles) and nothing seemed broken to me. I think the mustang accelerates faster on long straights and therefore gets more air because it's going over the jumps at a higher speed. It's pretty easy to get the mustang up to 119+ mph on that stage. I was still launching the Citroën pretty well though. I hope this helps.

To me it wasnt just the lenght but the air time, it was almost like it had wings in the air in a weird way. Difficult to explain exactly what i mean. 😕 Yeah its very difficult to tell the speed with the rally gt's, they are insanely quick! Thanks for trying!

3 hours ago, somethingthing said:

To me it wasnt just the lenght but the air time, it was almost like it had wings in the air in a weird way. Difficult to explain exactly what i mean. 😕 Yeah its very difficult to tell the speed with the rally gt's, they are insanely quick! Thanks for trying!

Is the problem specifically with the Ford Mustang GT4 or all vehicles at this location? I will give it another go and try to pay attention to it's fall rate after jumps. I have never launched a car off a jump at 119+ mph in real life, so I don't have much to compare it to. The air time does seem to be quite extreme, but so is the speed and jumps. I have watched videos of Travis Pastrana and Bryce Menzies launch cars and trucks off ramps and the air time was insane. They usually start off with a shorter jump and gradually work up to their goal, modifying the ramp, speed, weight distribution, suspension setup or vehicle aero to get it to "fly" right.

Edited by FlatOverCrest

Enjoying the new Fiesta MK2 R5.

E64A8DFE-9214-4856-B05B-79D18FFBE525.thumb.jpeg.af68c5028208ab121dd3b76983e873df.jpeg

A9CE9C71-A11A-42EC-8058-AA56C821B47C.thumb.jpeg.3e57d67749b1f104b1ecdeba3640af61.jpeg

Edited by JorritVD
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, JorritVD said:

Enjoying the new Fiesta MK2 R5.

E64A8DFE-9214-4856-B05B-79D18FFBE525.thumb.jpeg.af68c5028208ab121dd3b76983e873df.jpeg

A9CE9C71-A11A-42EC-8058-AA56C821B47C.thumb.jpeg.3e57d67749b1f104b1ecdeba3640af61.jpeg

I like how the tyre markings are different depending on whether it has tarmac or gravel tyres fitted.

Hmm, with Codemasters licensed and produced so many new Rally Raid cars for D5, and as it looks like even Trucks,  I wonder if something Rally-Raid will get a serious part in DR3.

The cars are basically new, except for the VW Touareg, although I guess it got reworked completly.

• Laffite G-Tec X-Road
  • Mini John Cooper Works Buggy by X-raid
  • Peugeot 3008 DKR Maxi
  • Porsche Macan T1 Rally Raid
  • Sodicars Racing BV6
  • Volkswagen Race Touareg 3

image.png.68ec088e59cf56198763b4698ee0d2a4.png does that mean this? > Kamaz presenteert de nieuwe truck | Rallymaniacs

Edited by JorritVD
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, JorritVD said:

Hmm, with Codemasters licensed and produced so many new Rally Raid cars for D5, and as it looks like even Trucks,  I wonder if something Rally-Raid will get a serious part in DR3.

I hope not.
More non-rally content means less rally content for the game.

They should fill DiRT 5 with that kind of content.

And before I open a new thread for just a question, I ask it here:

Maybe a stupid question, but: What function has that thing on the roof of the Fiesta R5 MkII?

I saw it has two big holes on the front, gets smaller to the back and is open at the back, too.
First I thought it's a graphical bug that its open at the back, because I always thought its for cooling the brakes or something.
But on RL pictures it's open at the back, too.

I may have a completely wrong view what these things (I don't even know the name of it) actually do.

• Agree 3

58 minutes ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

I hope not.

+1

Including RX.

The time and resources wasted on RX could be used to make an even better rally game.

If they really want to include another discipline, I prefer Hillclimb over RX.

• Agree 4

5 hours ago, RGgiac said:

I hope not. Hillclimb is the same as rally in means you do it alone, while in RX you can race online together with others.

• Disagree 1

16 hours ago, JorritVD said:

The cars are basically new, except for the VW Touareg, although I guess it got reworked completly.

• Laffite G-Tec X-Road
  • Mini John Cooper Works Buggy by X-raid
  • Peugeot 3008 DKR Maxi
  •  Porsche Macan T1 Rally Raid
  • Sodicars Racing BV6
  • Volkswagen Race Touareg 3

image.png.68ec088e59cf56198763b4698ee0d2a4.png does that mean this? > Kamaz presenteert de nieuwe truck | Rallymaniacs

• Peugeot 3008 DKR Maxi :classic_love:

9 hours ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

I hope not.

And before I open a new thread for just a question, I ask it here:

Maybe a stupid question, but: What function has that thing on the roof of the Fiesta R5 MkII?

I saw it has two big holes on the front, gets smaller to the back and is open at the back, too.
First I thought it's a graphical bug that its open at the back, because I always thought its for cooling the brakes or something.
But on RL pictures it's open at the back, too.

I may have a completely wrong view what these things (I don't even know the name of it) actually do.

Air ventilation into the car https://www.wrcwings.tech/2019/05/07/roof-scoops-in-wrc-cars/

10 hours ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

I hope not.

DiRT 5 i see as a "fun" game. Rally-Raid is not see as a "Fun", but serious part of the Rally genre.

9 hours ago, RGgiac said:

+1

Including RX.

The time and resources wasted on RX could be used to make an even better rally game.

Lol, this old discussion 😄

Also a big part of the community loves both RX and Rally, or just loves RX and not loves Rally.

You can say resources are waste on RX, but without RX there wouldn't have been that much Rally content in the game 😉
I think a lot of Rally development has been covered with the profits and things that has been gained of WRX. 

Yes a lot of resources went to RX, but without RX there wouldn't be DiRT Rally 2.0, at least not as good as we know it is now.

I think the game benefits of having both rally categories in the game. A kinda 1 + 1 = 3 effect.

Also I mention "both rally categories", as the thing you refer as rally is the classic "stage rally". The rally genre started with point to point "races" from city to city on a public (not closed sometimes) roads. But after that the stage-rally was introduced (with closed public roads) and later other type of Rally genres came alive like Rally-Raid and Rallycross.

3 hours ago, Janneman60 said:

I hope not. Hillclimb is the same as rally in means you do it alone, while in RX you can race online together with others.

"Do it alone"? Yes hillclimb you do alone, but with rally you have a co-driver 😉

• Like 1
  • Disagree 1

9 hours ago, JorritVD said:

"Do it alone"? Yes hillclimb you do alone, but with rally you have a co-driver 😉

Not really a massive difference. I'd like to see more content in general like the first 2 games had. And ACAT. Like Kamaz on tiny hillclimb courses.

51 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Not really a massive difference. I'd like to see more content in general like the first 2 games had. And ACAT. Like Kamaz on tiny hillclimb courses.

truck.thumb.jpg.cf951ebeefae35dfb023a8ab76d11766.jpg

I don't like the graphics, too cartoony. Give me washed out colors 😅

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RGgiac said:

truck.thumb.jpg.cf951ebeefae35dfb023a8ab76d11766.jpg

I don't like the graphics, too cartoony. Give me washed out colors 😅

Pretty much. It should really look like this,

truck.thumb.jpg.cf951ebeefae35dfb023a8ab76d11766.jpg.2473f531a650a8220f79c75f6eeb9d5b.jpg

The sad thing is, that's actually really close to how DiRT 1 and 2 looked. I got a mod for D2 that kills the filters and it looks so much better. What's kind of weird is some of the menu stuff was intentionally designed with the filters, so without them they end up being kind of dark and weird, but the tracks look great.

Edited by JZStudios
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, JZStudios said:

I got a mod for D2 that kills the filters

I wouldn't mind taking a look at that (more for curiosity than anything else), got a link?

6 hours ago, PJTierney said:

I wouldn't mind taking a look at that (more for curiosity than anything else), got a link?

Someone posted it on the forum a while ago. Doesn't seem like they put it on Nexus...

HAHA! Found it. Why it's not on Nexus, I don't know. Maybe I should think about adding it there, but then end up too lazy and not actually do it.

For proof that D2 actually looked as bad as the picture I posted, here's with and without the filter.

1a.thumb.png.ed50f49548d9f48c28a62f23dafb9db2.jpg.536df374053010fca793c331a83a8fbb.jpg

Edited by JZStudios

On 10/16/2020 at 11:32 AM, lindbergtommie said:

But why is it open at the back?
All other cars I have seen have a closed roof scoop at the back.
But the article is very interesting, thanks.

On 10/16/2020 at 12:56 PM, JorritVD said:

DiRT 5 i see as a "fun" game. Rally-Raid is not see as a "Fun", but serious part of the Rally genre.

I know what you mean, but this game doesn't look like fun to me, because it is a fun game... 😄 
They could do it a little more serious in DiRT 5 like all the other disciplines, maybe it is, maybe it just looks like a combined Mario Kart/Forza Horizon 4 clone.
I still haven't looked at much PR-material about DiRT 5, because the artstyle, colours and overall presentation is just screaming "DON'T BUY ME!" to me.

DiRT Rally should be rally only, the "classic" rally.
DiRT 5 is the main series so to say and is the best place for a combination of many disciplines, like it was since Colin McRae: DiRT.

The absolute best way would be, if Codemasters would sell all the disciplines as full sized add-on packs for one main game.
So you could choose between say rally, rallycross, rally raid, hillclimb, gymkhana, trophy truck and so on.
And all these disciplines would have been full games for themselves content wise.

On 10/16/2020 at 12:56 PM, JorritVD said:

You can say resources are waste on RX, but without RX there wouldn't have been that much Rally content in the game 😉
I think a lot of Rally development has been covered with the profits and things that has been gained of WRX. 

Yes a lot of resources went to RX, but without RX there wouldn't be DiRT Rally 2.0, at least not as good as we know it is now.

I had to laugh at that point.
Do you really believe that?
I bet 80% of all DR2.0 buyers are mainly interested in the rally part.
At least the activity says that.

And no, I don't think RX is a complete waste in this game.
I own all the content, but played not much, because the AI is completely broken in this game (Hell is way too easy overall and all the other tracks are way too hard on the same difficulty for example). Especially the AI times from other heats (the ones you are not taking part) are ridiculous most of the time and destroy the full game mode for me.
I'm not interested in direct PvP online racing, in any racing game, because racers are generally toxic and unfair.
So a good balanced AI would have been the key for me to this mode.

Cars, tracks and all are great, but unfortunately there is no point to play this.

Statistics say I did 6179 rally stages so far, but only 325 heats.
And most of them only because of the achievements.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

And no, I don't think RX is a complete waste in this game.

I own all the content, but played not much, because the AI is completely broken in this game

I'm mid-way on the RX issue myself. It can be huge fun in the right mood, but I simply don't find myself spending much time on it, even though I play DR2.0 more than any other game.

But then, I also don't play the career mode in DR2.0 at all. I completely and utterly hate the wasted time trying to connect to the servers, and I dislike night stages and a lot of heavy rain. So it's custom championships for me, and nothing more. I'm sure I would return to career mode as soon as it's made off-line and actually engaging. And as you mention, improving the AI in RX would probably have a similar effect.

It seems that RX has worked for Codemasters as a bundle with rally. We should perhaps keep in mind that if RX was skived off to Dirt rather than DR, it would become Fortnite RX. If we want a decent RX at all and with DR's handling, it needs to be in the DR series.

And if commercially, RX makes the rally game viable, then I'm all for keeping it there.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

But why is it open at the back?
All other cars I have seen have a closed roof scoop at the back.

You talking about roof vents? The scoop is open at the back to allow air to flow through when the roof vent is closed. Otherwise the roof scoop would add a huge amount of drag. 

Subaru roof vent scoops are definitely open at the back. 

1 hour ago, Jake Cushing said:

We should perhaps keep in mind that if RX was skived off to Dirt rather than DR, it would become Fortnite RX. If we want a decent RX at all and with DR's handling, it needs to be in the DR series.

I know it isn't for everyone, but I love how rallycross is so well - and so realistically - represented in DR2.0. 

I'd be gutted to see that watered down in future DR titles. 

Edited by tbtstt
  • Agree 2

22 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

We should perhaps keep in mind that if RX was skived off to Dirt rather than DR, it would become Fortnite RX. If we want a decent RX at all and with DR's handling, it needs to be in the DR series.

And if commercially, RX makes the rally game viable, then I'm all for keeping it there.

100% agree. Rally and RX are linked together by so many points.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1