DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×
How to contact Customer Service Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Real rally in chase cam...

...still wish we'd got this car instead of the S14! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, tbtstt said:

Real rally in chase cam...

...still wish we'd got this car instead of the S14! 

The physics are clearly wrong... Everyone can see the car is still pivoting around the center axle... Hope Codemasters fix this before DR 12.0 😄 😄 😄

• Haha 7

On 2/4/2021 at 11:56 AM, gfRally said:

think many see RBR for its no-nonsense rally play..  Not that anything would be taken away from some polishing but after playing it for some time and going back to DR, I do see quite a bit of difference in physics.  There is a reason that some top rally drivers prefer it, the car control is very predictable.  Some say its unforgiving, No... if you drive like you do in DR and seeking that top spot on the charts, yes!  In reality driving like that is not real, you would never drive like that in a real rally and RBR doesn't let you drive like that.  Codemasters own Colin McCrae Dirt (Dirt 1) had a quote from the codriver at the beginning on some stages:  Slow and steady wins the race.."   Yes that goes against Colin's "If in doubt, flat out" philosophy that we all love, but he didn't do that until he was more experienced, otherwise he would have never made it to the top.

You can absolutely abuse the physics way too much in DR games without getting penalized. There's rarely a point of no return when losing the car completely(unless dry tires on wet tarmac, which simulates that feeling almost perfectly) but Im quite certain there aren't many real rally drivers out there that would call vanilla RBR all that realistic these days. The hugely popular NGP physics that's been tweaked for years and years are very far from the vanilla physics, for good reason.

loving the sound in that video. not sure about the camera position though. i think dirt rally is better than rbr except for dirt rally tarmac which like most car games not great ( putting it politely ) :classic_biggrin:

been enjoying the tarmac feeling on automoblistia 2 tbh. deffo feels like im on something. dirt tarmac is like im playing tokoya drift :classic_biggrin:

On 2/1/2021 at 7:25 AM, gfRally said:

There is a lot to like about DR Titles, but as I have stepped away from it for a while and explored some other simulators with long histories.  I am seeing it more of a game on rails than a flexible simulation.    

Maybe this is slightly off tangent but related; the game would definitely benefit from some much deeper freedoms like a scripting language and some kind of mod ability.  I mean, even if it is to do something like make a more concrete measurement of your suspension in action or ground clearance of different parts of the car in different conditions, measuring performance of the car or tyres, check the collision geo that is causing issues on a stage etc etc.  Many many things could be done if there was freedom to interact with the engine and the models, but it's obviously the thing that is avoided to prevent more extensive cheating and I suppose unauthorized community content that would/could upset contracts. 🙂  There probably is a way to do it, but I am quite sure we get none of that in the next DR due to more pressing priorities anyway,

Breaking news: Man who gets paid to tweet about rally game is fast at rally game.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Also breaking news, guy making his first setup for the GTI finishes the stage and sets an accidental WR 😄

1389015494_accidentalWRGTI.thumb.png.6634ba2a7065d423b716aeda45ca1b6d.png

• Like 5

19 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Breaking news: Man who gets paid to tweet about rally game is fast at rally game.

#triggered

Aaaaaand WR gone 🤣
You basically said beat me to me 😃

But I have to admit, it was quite hard this time, the 037 is a beast and hard to control.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, bn880 said:

Also breaking news, guy making his first setup for the GTI finishes the stage and sets an accidental WR 😄

What, the resident FWD alien casually takes a top spot? Never would have guessed it 🌭 (we don't have the sausage emoji here, so make do with a hotdog)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

#triggered

Aaaaaand WR gone 🤣
You basically said beat me to me 😃

But I have to admit, it was quite hard this time, the 037 is a beast and hard to control.

That's the rule, anybody that posts a leaderboard screenshot should expect their time to beaten within a day.

Funnily enough I find the 037 quite easy to drive. You can get on the throttle way earlier than other cars.

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm one in the '037 is easier* to control than others in its class' boat too - although it's a lot less fun than the Porsche!

That's the opposite to DR1, when I could hardly complete a single stage with the Lancia...

*everything is relative

Edited by RodgerDavies
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

The M1 is still my favourite though, mainly because it's a screamer.

• Agree 1

Don't worry guys! I have a cure for your RWD OCD, it's called an F2 306 Maxi Kit Car by Peugeot 😄   Mega fast, massive screamer, and is powering the correct set of wheels for rally. 😜

rally-rallye-du-var-2017-sebastien-loeb-sebastien-loeb-racing-peugeot-306-maxi-6676446.jpg.f93efa00081a4384b017f957168089a5.jpg

2053965332_DirtRally2Screenshot2021_02.15-08_33_03_84.thumb.png.e04b6bc15482fa8020b9d8fa62efac76.png

That top time is definitely legit  😉

Edited by bn880
  • Haha 1

On 2/13/2021 at 10:04 PM, PJTierney said:

Makes me feel somewhat better than I can only get with 5 or 6 seconds of you in the daily challenges. 

• Like 1

Dailies are so much fun.

Push as hard as you can, and if you fail no big deal, new events tomorrow where everyone starts from zero.

• Agree 1

On 2/15/2021 at 4:59 AM, RodgerDavies said:

Yeah, I'm one in the '037 is easier* to control than others in its class' boat too - although it's a lot less fun than the Porsche!

That's the opposite to DR1, when I could hardly complete a single stage with the Lancia...

*everything is relative

It's so strange.

DR1 - it tooks me days to tame the 037 and even then it was a tightrope walk.

DR2 - the car just goes wherever I point it; I'd even say it's easier to drive than the Lancia Stratos 😕

yeah dirt rally 1 deffo needed more finesse to harness the 037 in dirt rally 2.0 it isnt as brutal to drive.

Hmm, why do I have the opposit experience? Not only with the 037 but with most rwd cars? In dr1 I mastered them from day 1, in dr2 it took me untill autumn 2020 to get them doing what I want. But now it rocks 😀

I find the 037 WAY easier to drive in DR2.0. I found it massively unpredictable (and hated using it) in DR1, but I really enjoy driving it in DR2.0...

...but then I think that about pretty much all the RWD cars in DR 2.0. Huge improvement in my personal opinion. 

• Agree 1

On 2/15/2021 at 9:54 AM, PJTierney said:

That's the rule, anybody that posts a leaderboard screenshot should expect their time to beaten within a day.

Funnily enough I find the 037 quite easy to drive. You can get on the throttle way earlier than other cars.

Well, it's easier to drive than the Lancia Stratos, Renault 5 Turbo, BMW M1 Procar and the Porsche 911 SC RS for sure, but it's still hard.
I still play with a standard xbox one s controller and it can be difficult to keep the back under control.
Not saying theres something wrong with controller controls! They are absolutely fine! (Just in case someone things I wanna complain.)

It's just super fun driving them, even if I sometimes struggle a bit to keep them in line.
Especially the Porsche. Rarely manage to tame that.

On 2/15/2021 at 2:38 PM, bn880 said:

Don't worry guys! I have a cure for your RWD OCD, it's called an F2 306 Maxi Kit Car by Peugeot 😄   Mega fast, massive screamer, and is powering the correct set of wheels for rally. 😜

I don't know why, but I'm especially worse in that car class than in any other.
Don't know what I do wrong, because I'm quite good in H1 FWD, H2 FWD and R2, but in this class my times are always a bit more worse than the usual 2-3 seconds per sector.

7 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Dailies are so much fun.

Push as hard as you can, and if you fail no big deal, new events tomorrow where everyone starts from zero.

I actually don't push 100% sometimes, because I wanna keep my statistics clean 🤣
There are situations like a specific section in Poland were I go off throttle on purpose, so I don't crash out.

Edited by UnderclassGDfan

1 hour ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

I don't know why, but I'm especially worse in that car class than in any other.

Don't know what I do wrong, because I'm quite good in H1 FWD, H2 FWD and R2, but in this class my times are always a bit more worse than the usual 2-3 seconds per sector.

Well one reason might be that the Maxi is trying to kill you occasionally. 😄  The other thing is that it drifts all over the road supposedly due to "torque steer" but you just dont feel anything on the wheel.

One thing to maybe try is to raise it up, its a tarmac car.

Edited by bn880

13 hours ago, Mike Dee said:

It's so strange.

DR1 - it tooks me days to tame the 037 and even then it was a tightrope walk.

DR2 - the car just goes wherever I point it; I'd even say it's easier to drive than the Lancia Stratos 😕

I was surprised when I took it on the Scotland run.

I'm used to dancing on the throttle pedal from the M1, yet when I got in the 037 I could just floor it out of corners no problem.