Jump to content

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

 

Message added by PJTierney

Recommended Posts

TPJP said:
The game is coming along pretty nice I have to admit, might buy as well.
It's nice to be optimistic, but do you guys forget Milestone made WRC 1-4?  They have always done the same shit, all the "demos" or whatever the preview guys get say nothings final and physics aren't implemented etc.  Then when it's finally released it looks and drives the exact same way.  Bad graphics, horrible sounds, and boring generic physics with stages that have a hairpin every 3 feet.

I couldn't play WRC 1 2, or 4 because it wouldn't support my CSW and Clubsport pedals.  WRC 3 did, but none of the other ones, and they never patched it.  Given their record I bet they added in those engine sounds in the new trailer, in the gameplay vids earlier it was the same computer generated popcorn machines traveling through hell sound.

I personally can't see this company doing anything that even comes close to what we have with DR.  They have always been a hack.  I'd love to be surprised by SLRE, but I'm not being optimistic about it considering who is making it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
yes thats why i wont get it.

exact same issues every game wheel not supported on launch. not thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WRC 1-4 and many of the recent titles (AC Unity, Batman Arkham Knight on PC, THPS5) taught me never to buy on release date and for the full price. Except for DiRT Rally! :D

I do hope SLRE turns out decently and keeps a developer in business, but I won't commit to a purchase until lots of people I'd trust try it out :)

However, if you're a console only player I guess you'd have a reason to be desperate for anything rally to play!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
griev0r said:
TPJP said:
The game is coming along pretty nice I have to admit, might buy as well.
It's nice to be optimistic, but do you guys forget Milestone made WRC 1-4?  They have always done the same shit, all the "demos" or whatever the preview guys get say nothings final and physics aren't implemented etc.  Then when it's finally released it looks and drives the exact same way.  Bad graphics, horrible sounds, and boring generic physics with stages that have a hairpin every 3 feet.

I couldn't play WRC 1 2, or 4 because it wouldn't support my CSW and Clubsport pedals.  WRC 3 did, but none of the other ones, and they never patched it.  Given their record I bet they added in those engine sounds in the new trailer, in the gameplay vids earlier it was the same computer generated popcorn machines traveling through hell sound.

I personally can't see this company doing anything that even comes close to what we have with DR.  They have always been a hack.  I'd love to be surprised by SLRE, but I'm not being optimistic about it considering who is making it.
Milestone isn't really a company who's known by making quality games I know, so I'm still taking this with a grain of salt.
I play with a controller but for you guys playing with a steering wheel it sucks if one or another of the latter isn't supported, like many in WRC 5.
If they manage to release a playable, fun and stable game I'd might buy, if it is a unoptimized, buggy mess then no thanks.
Either way, DR will always be way better than SLRE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TPJP said:
I play with a controller but for you guys playing with a steering wheel
You do realise that steering wheel is a controller as well? Just like keyboard, gamepad, joystick, mouse etc. To visualise more what you actually wrote: "I play with a controller but for you guys playing with a controller". See my point?

We can go even further though. The word controller means anything that is used for controlling something. Using the phrase "I play with" automatically indicates that you have a way of controlling it, thus using the word "controller" basically makes you say the same thing twice. The word that should be utilised at this point is a type of controller that you are using to play the game with, like the ones I mentioned above.
I really don't like Americans for how they're destroying English language with their lack of imagination to naming things. Microsoft couldn't even come up with a name for their gamepad, so they went with "x360 controller", most likely never realising that they'll be bringing another controller. And yes, Kinect can be called "x360 controller" as well and it will be 100% correct grammatically. The messed up part is that the specific name of the x360 gamepad is "x360 controller" or "x360 wireless controller" just like the specific name of the gamepad for Playstation 4 is DualShock 4.

Grammar nazi here, in case someone is wondering and sorry for the off-topic, I have a hard time keeping this "part" of me in check xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
G37L057 said:
TPJP said:
I play with a controller but for you guys playing with a steering wheel
You do realise that steering wheel is a controller as well? Just like keyboard, gamepad, joystick, mouse etc. To visualise more what you actually wrote: "I play with a controller but for you guys playing with a controller". See my point?

We can go even further though. The word controller means anything that is used for controlling something. Using the phrase "I play with" automatically indicates that you have a way of controlling it, thus using the word "controller" basically makes you say the same thing twice. The word that should be utilised at this point is a type of controller that you are using to play the game with, like the ones I mentioned above.
I really don't like Americans for how they're destroying English language with their lack of imagination to naming things. Microsoft couldn't even come up with a name for their gamepad, so they went with "x360 controller", most likely never realising that they'll be bringing another controller. And yes, Kinect can be called "x360 controller" as well and it will be 100% correct grammatically. The messed up part is that the specific name of the x360 gamepad is "x360 controller" or "x360 wireless controller" just like the specific name of the gamepad for Playstation 4 is DualShock 4.

Grammar nazi here, in case someone is wondering and sorry for the off-topic, I have a hard time keeping this "part" of me in check xD
Well... if you want to be technical, it was the Famicom/NES that popularised the gamepad (or as it was more commonly called here, a "joypad")
It was officially called the NES Controller.
So you're complaining about terminology that has been around almost as long as the device itself.
Thing is, game/joypad is sometimes used interchangeably with D-Pad.
It's not an American thing.
The broadest term is peripheral. The general term is input device.
Controller is pretty much limited to pads as we think of them since they came to prominence at about the same time, as opposed to the paddles of Pong consoles or joysticks of the Atari, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BrySkye said:
Well... if you want to be technical, it was the Famicom/NES that popularised the gamepad (or as it was more commonly called here, a "joypad")
It was officially called the NES Controller.
So you're complaining about terminology that has been around almost as long as the device itself.
Thing is, game/joypad is sometimes used interchangeably with D-Pad.
It's not an American thing.
The broadest term is peripheral. The general term is input device.
Controller is pretty much limited to pads as we think of them since they came to prominence at about the same time, as opposed to the paddles of Pong consoles or joysticks of the Atari, etc.
It started here as a "joypad" as well. Official name was NES Controller, but does that change the fact that now the type of controller it belongs to is a gamepad? No. It's not the terminology that is outdated, it's the people that are using outdated terminology. It moved on (as in "gamepad" being correct term now)and so should you. Speaking in a grammatically correct fashion is a lot more pleasing to the eyes.

D-Pad refers to the diagonal arrow buttons on the device, not the whole device. Never heard anyone ever call a gamepad a D-Pad. And I've been using gamepad for over 15 years now. Sounds like you pulled that one from a rather deep hole :P

Broadest term is controller, as peripheral automatically states that we're talking about an electronic device connected to a computer (didn't use the PC term, as console is also a computer). To demonstrate how broad the term controller is, a whip can be called, or rather could be called a controller, because in ancient times it was used to control slaves (no racism here meant, just a historical fact). In short, controller is not a term exclusive to electronic devices, at all. It's the most broadest term for anything that can control something in anyway. Naturally, today it refers mainly to electronic devices, simply because they are everywhere. But the grammatical definition of the word still stands.

So just because you or anyone else think of a controller exclusively as a gamepad, doesn't make your statement any correct. From a grammar standpoint, you're being incorrect in more than one way whenever you use the word "controller" to describe a specific type of controller. Unless you're referring to few special cases that have the word "controller" in their specific name ("x360 controller" for example).

As much as I see your point, that it's being used incorrectly by so many people that basically everyone understand what someone means, it doesn't change the fact it's grammatically incorrect. And like I mentioned, I'm a grammar nazi, I'm really hard on this stuff and I'm not in a mood to discuss this ever going misconception about the word "controller". So can we just move on from this off-topic (that includes all those posts about SLRE as well guys, so tag those off-topic as well, not just mine :P ) and post in a grammatically correct English language?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It's probably not the most off topic this thread has ever been
Oh yes, the Subaru naming immediately pops into my mind xD

Anyway, I hope those 4 new achievements don't mean we're getting 4 new classes, cause that most likely will mean 4 classes with 2 cars. I think we've got a tad too many of those already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chukonu said:
Maybe they are just four cars.
  • Body isn't 10 characters too short anymore.


I have to say, if it's just 4 new achievements, I think it'll be 4 cars too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chukonu said:
Maybe they are just four cars.
I have to say, if it's just 4 new achievements, I think it'll be 4 cars too.
Maybe 2 new classes and 2 stunt or something similar related achievements?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
im hoping one is the 22b. awesome rally cars . love driving them with my d pad. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OzoreXS said:


this gonna be "the subaru".

...dunno it looks familar to me. ¬¬


LOL, Died from that photo. The text on the... front means "Almost like SUBARU" xD

And it's the Fiat 126p, one of the most common cars in Poland in 90s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Valtsude said:
Maybe one of the achievements is "Fully upgrade THAT car"?
Nah, it's been out for way too long.
Now fully upgrading THIS car is a whole other story!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WRC 2015 cars seem to be timed exclusive to Kyolotton as after Codies were denied license they are followed by SLRE using 2011,2012 and 2013 WRCs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×