DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

JZStudios said:
JZStudios said:
I could SWEAR they had a hillclimb update on the timeline that seems to have since been removed. I remember doing Pikes Peak, then checking if there would be any additions to it, and there was a planned addition of at least cars. Let's be honest, one track and three cars makes it kind of, well, boring. And I like PP.
Would love to see the PP stages (and reverse options) available for custom rally, but I believe either that or allowing rally cars in hillclimb mode will come at one point. Hopefully both.

However, I'm pretty certain there was never a 'hillclimb update' scheduled on the timeline. Personally, I'm glad for that as I prefer the rally content.
Well the funny thing is, to me it seems like they could do that fairly easily, but they've kind of said it's not happening. I feel like they released PP and everyone hates hillclimb so much for some reason that they basically pulled the plug on it.
I really don't understand why people are shitting on hillclimb either! Would love to see more of it in the future.

For those looking at the office wall (the so called "Periodic Table of DiRT"), it has been stated quite a few times before that the wall is merely a wishlist of the devs, a reference of what they would like to see in a DiRT game. It does NOT mean all cars in the wall will be featured and cars not included in the wall may appear.

As for what I think the Modern Masters will contain, it will have 6 cars:

R4:
Subaru Impreza R4 (Either Prodrive or JRM, one of the more recent models)
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X R4
2000s:
Ford Focus RS WRC 2006
Citroën C4 WRC 2007
2010s:
DS Automobiles DS3 WRC (2013 or older)
VW Polo R WRC 2013

BTW, has anyone noticed the slip of "Citroën" when Paul divided all manufacturers in-game by country? I sure did, and bear in mind DS Automobiles is separate and was also there.
If this came true, I would really be happy.  Although and i'll beat the dead horse (now a pulp of flesh) that I would prefer an older Mitsubishi.

Alright guys (et gals?) that SurveyMonkey is reasonably telling and i think it's important we take a little time to respond.

There are quite a few questions in there that you need to answer carefully as it's clear that management are looking to whether there is a market audience for games like DR in the future.  Pay attention when you're answering the last questions (putting game types in order) where they say, trust your codriver, race into the unknown with only them to help you.  

The last part is important and i nearly missed it, it says on a new track every time, basically translating to procedurally generated stuff.  I would rank this below the options you have already chosen, but above the ones that obviously need to be put right at the bottom, like, basically the Dirt grid storyline mode....

We want R2!!! For new players it is annoying to start in an old crap like mini or fulvia, you go 142km/h top speed, and you cant go into the corners Fast or your rally will end there, you have to go slow in straights slow in corners = s***

Yeah, I tried ranking rally as #1 and everything else as a 7 but it wasn't having it. Some of the questions are very leading and there are a LOT of options that sound like things I personally would have no interest in (including procedurally generated stages -I don't believe it can be done well enough).

Definitely worth taking time to fill out, regardless of how you feel.

Wait, what survey?

This message is an arbritary amount of characters too short, but its easily circumvented by copypasting this notice

gfRally said:
For those looking at the office wall (the so called "Periodic Table of DiRT"), it has been stated quite a few times before that the wall is merely a wishlist of the devs, a reference of what they would like to see in a DiRT game. It does NOT mean all cars in the wall will be featured and cars not included in the wall may appear.

R4:
2000s:
Ford Focus RS WRC 2006
Citroën C4 WRC 2007
2010s:
VW Polo R WRC 2013

BTW, has anyone noticed the slip of "Citroën" when Paul divided all manufacturers in-game by country? I sure did, and bear in mind DS Automobiles is separate and was also there.
If this came true, I would really be happy.  Although and i'll beat the dead horse (now a pulp of flesh) that I would prefer an older Mitsubishi.
Hah! f@ck!

So, a few things i'd like to say here;
1) Looks pretty plausible, but where/why would you get/know this?
I don't have any inside information. I'm sorry if I made it appear that way, as I don't wish to spread false information. As I said, it's merely what "I think" will come in the pack.
2) I still don't think that they'd add a second Focus to the same class (2000's) so really can't see that happening, mostly from a gameplay standpoint.
Well, I'm just going by years and engine capacity. The Focus is from the 06-07 (stated by Paul) so it should fit within the 2000-2009 era of the 2000s class. Then, it's a 2.0 liter engine vs the 1.6 liters of the 2010s.

3) Remember they can't mention WRC, but the cars do appear to exist if they're old enough, so i buy the 2013 and older part.
If the cars were exactly alike, I would doubt their arrival. But both the DS3 and the Polo have visual differences between their 2015 versions and their 2013 or older versions. I don't think WRC licensing should matter here.

4) Yes, yes i did notice that split he made, i thought it was very interesting, but didn't think further because i was out of the loop re the DS Automobiles.  I literally *just* looked that up, i had no idea, i always assumed the DS3 in RX was just cleverly named as i've always known it as Citroen.  According to Wiki, that change happened after i left the UK and it really does appear to be exactly what the Honda/Acura split is in the States.
DS Automobiles is still a part of Citroën, but it's now its own independent brand as well.

KickUp said:
Hah! f@ck!
Is that good or bad? :)

pupazzo said:

Hey Codemasters, you'll be in trouble if
@G37L057 see this...

It's taken from the survey that Codemasters posted today: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ZSQ2NH2

I did LOL'ed when reading this, but then again you read that and it just sounds so wrong, that the only thing that comes into mind is to put this next to the "Controller" answer:

BTW, the question is generally badly made anyway. Objectively speaking over 99% of people will prefer to play racing games with a steering wheel & pedals (excluding those with possible injuries that won't allow them), especially simulators. But how many people can actually afford to buy/have a wheel & pedals is a completely different thing.

R4:
2000s:
Ford Focus RS WRC 2006
Citroën C4 WRC 2007
2010s:
VW Polo R WRC 2013

Yes, that seems to be rather possible.

Yeah, I tried ranking rally as #1 and everything else as a 7 but it wasn't having it. Some of the questions are very leading and there are a LOT of options that sound like things I personally would have no interest in (including procedurally generated stages -I don't believe it can be done well enough).

Definitely worth taking time to fill out, regardless of how you feel.
I remember doing a HUGE Codemasters survey a few years ago. I'm not sure, but it might actually have helped this game become what it is.

I actually left a note in it that along a realistic rally experience, I also wanted proper rallycross!

KickUp said:
gfRally said:

R4:
2000s:
Ford Focus RS WRC 2006
Citroën C4 WRC 2007
2010s:
VW Polo R WRC 2013

Hah! f@ck!
Nailed it!?  ;)

JZStudios said:
JZStudios said:
I could SWEAR they had a hillclimb update on the timeline that seems to have since been removed. I remember doing Pikes Peak, then checking if there would be any additions to it, and there was a planned addition of at least cars. Let's be honest, one track and three cars makes it kind of, well, boring. And I like PP.
Would love to see the PP stages (and reverse options) available for custom rally, but I believe either that or allowing rally cars in hillclimb mode will come at one point. Hopefully both.

However, I'm pretty certain there was never a 'hillclimb update' scheduled on the timeline. Personally, I'm glad for that as I prefer the rally content.
Well the funny thing is, to me it seems like they could do that fairly easily, but they've kind of said it's not happening. I feel like they released PP and everyone hates hillclimb so much for some reason that they basically pulled the plug on it.
I honestly feel like the hillclimb and rallycross events were added as more of a proof of concept for the platform. Some of the stuff Paul has said points to the entire project being a more experimental project for the company, so it makes sense that they put in RX and hillclimb as ideas that they want to try, even if they didn't want to spend the resources to fully flesh them out with content.

I think they knew authentic rally was the easy sell for the enthusiast community, so they rebuilt the game with this in mind but also wanted to prove that the base platform could expand into related disciplines. I would not be surprised if this foundation is used in a game with more mainstream appeal, but keeping the fidelity they have put into DiRT Rally.

It is interesting and telling in how the language has changed over the course of development from the intial "check out our new game and see what you think, we are not sure if it will be popular enough to port to consoles" to the console port now being all but announced, and Paul talking about the future of the platform and its expansion in future versions.

The above is total conjecture of course, but this is how I see the project from my outside view.

bogani said:
KickUp said:
gfRally said:

R4:
2000s:
Ford Focus RS WRC 2006
Citroën C4 WRC 2007
2010s:
VW Polo R WRC 2013

Hah! f@ck!
Nailed it!?  ;)
I suspect the whole Citreon+DS slip.

Naughty Paul though, circumventing the forums anti-swearing rules!
That's against the terms of service. Someone needs to be issued with a warning and a fine.
...Again...
*whistles innocently*

If there's ice racing in Dirt Rally 2, you can blame me. I'm sorry. I miss Rallisport Challenge 2.

Some of the options at the end of the survey were kind of exciting (though most were alarming). I picked as number one "the most authentic rally and rallycross experience" (IIRC). Although if Dirt Rally 2 is Dirt Rally's presentation and handling + Rallisport Challenge 2's balance of disciplines (rally, rallycross, hillclimb, ice racing, crossover) + GRID's career and team-building, then man. Choosing between rally and RX events every weekend... some ice racing during the winter months... invitations to compete at Pikes Peak every summer (a la GRID's Le Mans races)...

Some of those ideas they have in there could be really cool. I kind of like the Forza Horizon idea, but all those open world off road games I've played get really boring and generic. It would have to be done excruciatingly well, but it could be awesome. I think they should go for an off road sim that has everything dirt 2 and 3 had. I think they need a sim game and an simcade game, kind of like Forza. Some of those options came way out of left though, rockcrawling? Really? There's like 150 southern hicks that do that, and they've never even heard of video games.

So with the Citroen slip, and the answer to Paul's favourite car being 'the red one', Xsara or C4? The Xsara competed up until 2006, then the C4 came in. Was Perez's Focus an 06/07 car? New car class with one or both citroens and focus alongside R4?

(Wow, this feels like page 1 gossip)

Hope it's the Xsara to compete with the Focus and Scooby. I always preferred the look of the Xsara to the C4.