DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

So with the Citroen slip, and the answer to Paul's favourite car being 'the red one', Xsara or C4? The Xsara competed up until 2006, then the C4 came in. Was Perez's Focus an 06/07 car? New car class with one or both citroens and focus alongside R4?

(Wow, this feels like page 1 gossip)
Each car class has an achievement linked to completing a championship with it.
R4 is definitely the only new car class we are getting this time since we're only getting one new achievement related to car class.
If a Xsara or C4 are going in along with the Focus 06, they will be in the 2000 class. It's the only appropriate place. They are 2000 cars.

It does make you think they might split the 2000's class into two.
Since we already have an achievement linked to 2000 cars, that seems unlikely.
If it was going to be split, we'd know it by another new achievement.

A little while back I asked Paul if there were going to be any more cars driven by Richard Burns or Colin McRae. 
Unless he was messing with me, there doesn't seem any harm now in saying the answer was a definitive no.
So no Xsara and no 206. No McRae R4 either.

Plot twist:R4 is the McRae R4 :p.Plus I am all in for a properly done Trophee Andros reproduction.That means 4 wheel steering,cars turning vertically on the road etc.

As it has been stated by Paul before: no Xsara. That's why I say C4.
Stop ruining my dreams. I'll hope for the Xsara untill all cars are released. No matter what the tweets say

Stop ruining my dreams. I'll hope for the Xsara untill all cars are released. No matter what the tweets say
Want Xsara or 206? Wait for SLRE... 

Kappa

Job3k said:
Want Xsara or 206? Wait for SLRE... 

Kappa
Might try this one as well! If them sounds are as good as the trailer (which I somewhat doubt), should be a fun one!

JZStudios said:
I kind of like the Forza Horizon idea, but all those open world off road games I've played get really boring and generic.
Open world works great with RPG 's and the like, but for Lord Bahamut sake, keep it as far away from racing games as possible. Enough with the pointless "exploration", which has nothing to do with the actual meaning of that word, and is also responsible for simplifying and generalising the "tracks" layout (effectively making them boring).

Proper rally stages with great physics are the most important thing. After that its photo-realistic graphics (for maximum immersion), nice selection of cars, range of online modes with stable servers and mod support. Of course continued support for the game in the form of content updates, patches, maybe also DLCs. This is a recipe for a perfect rally game basically. Open world is a sure way of killing that recipe.

20 minutes long rally stages FTW :D 

Don't think it's right for Rally, but I do think there is a place for properly done open world driving games.

I loved Test Drive Unlimited 1 & 2, driving around a pretty damn accurate Oahu and Ibiza. Made a playlist of tunes and just cruised around.
Problems with Forza Horizon was it was too small an area and it's fictional. An amalgamation of ideas and locations. 

So with the Citroen slip, and the answer to Paul's favourite car being 'the red one', Xsara or C4? The Xsara competed up until 2006, then the C4 came in. Was Perez's Focus an 06/07 car? New car class with one or both citroens and focus alongside R4?
I'd say it's the C4 if it's Citroen. The Focus hinted at was a 2007, in 07 the c4 had an all red livery. The Xsara wasn't all red since 2002 I think and in 2006 it was pretty much all blue.

BrySkye said:
Don't think it's right for Rally, but I do think there is a place for properly done open world driving games.
Well, driving games aren't racing games ;) Or rather, they shouldn't be made into ones. First Driver games are a perfect examples of driving games, not racing games. TDU started mixing things, which is why I found those games utterly boring while I love first and second Driver. And I would say fictional makes it more interesting, as with non-fictional there's nothing... new. Or Unseen. Generally there's lack of things you don't expect to see. In other words, well executed fictional world will be more interesting than a non-fictional one. Thing is, non-fictional are easier to make, especially nowadays.

They put open world into Need For Speed games and turned them into "Need For Sales" games. Burnout Paradise being a great game, was a mediocre Burnout at best. Forza Horizon... well, haven't played that one from obvious reasons, but from what I can tell, only enjoyable physics saved the game basically. And then on the "Open World-less" side there's DriveClub and DiRT Rally, first being PS4 exclusive gets hate from xbone owners and #PCMasterRace for reasons rather obvious, while the game itself gets a hugely positive reactions from every trustworthy source basically. Second has become the holy grail of rally games, partly because there's no competition out there on any platform, but mainly because it's damn good ;)
I think you can see the pattern here easily ;)

G37L057 said:
BrySkye said:
Well, driving games aren't racing games ;) Or rather, they shouldn't be made into ones. First Driver games are a perfect examples of driving games, not racing games. TDU started mixing things, which is why I found those games utterly boring while I love first and second Driver. And I would say fictional makes it more interesting, as with non-fictional there's nothing... new. Or Unseen. Generally there's lack of things you don't expect to see. In other words, well executed fictional world will be more interesting than a non-fictional one. Thing is, non-fictional are easier to make, especially nowadays.

They put open world into Need For Speed games and turned them into "Need For Sales" games. Burnout Paradise being a great game, was a mediocre Burnout at best. Forza Horizon... well, haven't played that one from obvious reasons, but from what I can tell, only enjoyable physics saved the game basically. And then on the "Open World-less" side there's DriveClub and DiRT Rally, first being PS4 exclusive gets hate from xbone owners and #PCMasterRace for reasons rather obvious, while the game itself gets a hugely positive reactions from every trustworthy source basically. Second has become the holy grail of rally games, partly because there's no competition out there on any platform, but mainly because it's damn good ;)
I think you can see the pattern here easily ;)
I absolutely loved the first Forza Horizon. They scouted the world and came up with Colorado as having the best driving roads. I guess you could say it's not really a "racing" game, but the roads in that game felt like they were sculpted by masters of motorsport. Horizon 2 broadened the area and made it more open, but they seemed to lose that sensation of great driving roads. As far as fictitious places go, every game has an amount. You cant fully recreate an entire city or location, but you can do what Horizon did and (rather magnificently) capture the essence and sights, sounds, and feeling of the location. Not sure why you think Paradise was a mediocre entry, I wish they made another one.
I was really talking about (granted) the ps2 era days when all the free roam off road games were popular. Every location looked like either boring desert or boring forest, and there really wasn't anything interesting to do.

snip...

F2CMaDMaXX said:

Alright guys (et gals?) that SurveyMonkey is reasonably telling and i think it's important we take a little time to respond.
Why was no Richard Burns Rally and Colin McRae Rally mentioned in that survey.??

Instead... CMR getting bundled with the Dirt series, freakin' sacrilege.!!

I answered to the end anyway asking for longer stages, better damage simulation and a Hardcore mode(optional).
About the question... what would you definitely not like in a future game - i definitely do NOT want arcade handling.

Makes me wonder if they'll ever give us a dedicated rally sim.
All these questions i did not feel comfortable answering.

Bundling in, rely completely on your co-driver with a - unique environment every time (w.t.f is that about).
Again, best ever rally simulation and then bundling in RallyX along with it (well they've got the licence so they may as well use it).

It looks like they're trying to hedge their bets.
DLC i'll buy, but only if it's stages(not RallyX circuits).

I basically told them to create the iRacing of rally, in the sense that they should focus on simulation, competition, and long term support/development. Either continue developing Dirt Rally or create a dedicated rally game with an upgraded game engine. This game would feature long stages, online multiplayer, online leagues/tournaments, replay downloading/sharing, robust leaderboards, web API, and better physics. Laser scanned stages would be ideal, albeit a long shot. Though, if you're making a rally game with long stages then laser scanning might be the best option. They could support their continual development through either DLC's or subscriptions. Some people are turned off by this but I have no problem throwing money at a masterpiece that'll continually be developed and supported for years.

The car to compete Steve perez car is 307, it is fully red and it have merits to be the favourite car of Paul, they wanted the 206 i think, they offered for it and peugeot answer ,no , the 206 milestone have it, but you can use 307 instead, Codies said Ok, thats good

The car to compete Steve perez car is 307, it is fully red and it have merits to be the favourite car of Paul, they wanted the 206 i think, they offered for it and peugeot answer ,no , the 206 milestone have it, but you can use 307 instead, Codies said Ok, thats good
You're saying this like you know this happened?

Sheesh, I would've thought Peugeot would take every opportunity to try and bury the 307's existence, not celebrate it in games. Nothing good ever came from that car.

Look on the bright side. One of the good things about including the 307 in a video game is that you wont get all the technical issues

Look on the bright side. One of the good things aboit including the 307 in a video game is that you wont get all the technical issues
But what happens if / when they revisit damage model again. Especially if they include technical issues to happen when appropriate :smiley: 
Still I'm ok with Dirt Rally keeping it authentic. Grönholm is my hero, and one reason is his verbal magic which was quite plenty in the 307 era. Would be nice to "experience" those moments.

Look on the bright side. One of the good things aboit including the 307 in a video game is that you wont get all the technical issues
I appreciate the efforts of the CM team adding any new cars to the game that they can... but I struggle to get excited about the 307!

Perhaps they can add an extra co-driver scream in every time you hit a big bump, just so you can recreate the Timo moment!

I'd actually want this :-) But guess it has to be some real career mode where different teams really had different cars, and once you've made your mark in a cheap rally class you'd be offered a place in one of the new teams with unreliable cars.

It is deduction, but for me it have a lot of chanced the 307

function9 said:

I'd say it's the C4 if it's Citroen. The Focus hinted at was a 2007, in 07 the c4 had an all red livery. The Xsara wasn't all red since 2002 I think and in 2006 it was pretty much all blue.
Xsara was  red at the end of 2006