DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

aahhh, crazy now am I?

https://twitter.com/dirtgame/status/494768892796211200

@gfRally - Wow! I'm confused! :D

I'll share my views on your theories when I get back from work, but my latest theories are:

2 boxes with 6 teacakes = 12 - 12 weeks away from a game release: F1 2014 to be released on October 22nd

@justbiglee tweets about 35 doughnuts on 13th of June 2014 - 35 weeks from that date we end up in February 2015 - release month for the next DiRT :)

woah! Dude your like a profit or something!  October was dead on for F1..  But looks like you are right about waiting till 2015 though..  " :

Now onto new-gen. 2015 will see us release our first title on new-generation platforms... "

:(

But for F1 guys this is really cool:

"The game will launch earlier in the Formula One season and then go onto receive live digital updates. These updates will deliver 2015 content into the game as the season unfolds, ensuring you’ll be competing against the same drivers and teams you watch week in and week out!"

So the F1 season usuallys starts around March, but  2015 might not be realeased a month or so into the season.  

We could very well see some rally game around Febuary.  Hope there is some kind of announcement in a couple of months then.  

Codemasters' websites are shaking following the F1 news! :O I have to say I'm mainly surprised as for some reason I was sure it would appear in October/November on PS4/XB1 and PC. 'Next-gen' version scheduled release in 2015 suggests that the next gen technology by Codies is not ready yet and more time is needed. 

The time it takes to develop something brand new or the fundamental game engine may also drive the next DiRT well into 2015. I suspect that Codemasters are not yet fully convinced by the install base of new consoles and still want to release on PS3 and X360. Would the next DiRT come out on those? I doubt it will as the old tech may hold back the game and if releases after F1 2015 then the install base of next-gen will be better. 

F1 2014 right now seems like a refresh of '13 with turbos (not easy in itself). Perhaps the team had to be clearly split between development of F1 2014 and next gen tech for 2015. As a result F1 2014 does not appear to include anything revolutionary and F1 2015 is months away.

As @gfRally‌ wrote above Codies explicitly sat that F1 2015 will be their first next-gen title. Where does it leave DiRT? Seemingly quite far into the future :( 

Then again the approach with F1 2015 to release the game early in the season to update it with 2015 season content is quite a shift in approach for Codemasters. Are Codemasters trying out subscription financed offering? 

With the recent 'Early Access' trend there may be even more Codemasters could do. It would have been amazing if towards the end of the year Codemasters released an Early Access/Beta of F1 2015 on PC. If the DiRT game was advanced enough for such a step I'd be right on it!

I have to digest all we have learned today. My hope was that F1 2014 being a full-blown next-gen title the DiRT game would be next in line for a release. I'm a very big fan of the F1 games and I'm likely to get F1 2014 on PC, but next rally game is the stuff I'm craving for :)

gfRally said:

aahhh, crazy now am I?

https://twitter.com/dirtgame/status/494768892796211200

That's if you like playing it on your phone ;)

From what I understand this is the original Colin McRae Rally (CMR) released on PC via Steam? I think this is not the mobile game...

Please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm getting it right after I get home!

EDIT: After reading some reviews on Steam it seems that this CMR is a port of the mobile game onto PC. I think I'll give it a go anyway and find other ways of getting CMR games :)

From what I understand this is the original Colin McRae Rally (CMR) released on PC via Steam? I think this is not the mobile game...

Please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm getting it right after I get home!

Nope, you are right. It is CMR 2 on Steam.

It's part of CMR2.0, reworked, with less cars, less locations, less features and different handling.

But it's fun, in the same way the older ToCA games/McRae games were.

Here's someone comparing the PlayStation original (on a tablet PlayStation emulator), versus the new version (mobile version, which I don't think has in-car and has slightly different graphics/features): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQB03CeZXPw

Bored of waiting for DiRT so started a thread on the F1 forum which should cause havoc until it's pulled haha

Holy crap, Dude, you just sent a firecracker down the toilet!  It's exploding all over.  I'm laughing at these posts, just hope the moderators are too.

Bored of waiting for DiRT so started a thread on the F1 forum which should cause havoc until it's pulled haha

Ha! You seem to have made some new friends over there already! You aren't allowed to moan about being bored waiting for DiRT though: you've already seen more than most of us! ;)

tbtstt said:

Ha! You seem to have made some new friends over there already! You aren't allowed to moan about being bored waiting for DiRT though: you've already seen more than most of us! ;)

Some things are limited to a small amount of peoples eyes and ears. ;)

But critical feedback is always a good start to evolve , u always need to find new challenges and find the right way to combine left (arcade) and right (sim) on the road.

Phfff M-Sport has a busy weekend this weekend in Finland.....

Even after Jarkko NIKARA retired (after a roll into the trees) they started to work already....
Sadly no super rally for Jarko but what an amazing job from M-Sport,... the speed is so high in the WRC rally of Finland! 

gfRally said:

Holy crap, Dude, you just sent a firecracker down the toilet!  It's exploding all over.  I'm laughing at these posts, just hope the moderators are too.

Where? I can't find it! 

It's likely DiRT and F1 would share technology so we may see a glimpse of 'the storm Codies were cooking' :)

@GentleNameMVB‌ Sharing Technology. Same combined engine for F1 and Rally. hmm... like this?

It's called you F1 lot @Azoresst‌ 

Mate I've had to bin off that thread, I know what you were getting at but you've gotta mind the language on the forums and it just started a fight which isn't cool, sorry fella.

789ifyz said:

It's likely DiRT and F1 would share technology so we may see a glimpse of 'the storm Codies were cooking' :)

@GentleNameMVB‌ Sharing Technology. Same combined engine for F1 and Rally. hmm... like this?

Love that picture, as for the sharing tech... well lets just say F1 cars don't rally well :P

Love that picture, as for the sharing tech... well lets just say F1 cars don't rally well :P

Both games are based on the EGO engine I persume? 

New wallpaper anyone?

Well, what about we create a hashtag on Twitter like #AnnounceDiRT4 and tweet it to Codemasters/DiRT/Paul/Lee accounts?

What do you think guys? Will that work?

Azoresst said:

Well, what about we create a hashtag on Twitter like #AnnounceDiRT4 and tweet it to Codemasters/DiRT/Paul/Lee accounts?

@Azoresst‌ 

I am not sure what you are getting at.  I see that @justbiglee‌ didn't find the thread very funny.  I think from our perspective it may have been funny, but we just visit, he OWNS the house.  So I'm just going to go back to watching for tweets and coming up with "confusing"  :\    theories, and drink a few more beers.

"Love that picture, as for the sharing tech... well lets just say F1 cars don't rally well :P" - @justbiglee‌ 

So.. maybe at this point, is where some basic modeling code is shared but finally there is a "DiRT" engine and a "road" (wimpy) engine :smiley: that can share object models but pretty much are separate engines.  

This really makes a lot of sense, when the physics are SO completely different, and in so many ways.  Handling is nothing similar, even a Tarmac rally has very few similarities with a road corse.  The setup for a rally car on tarmac is for short sprints with lots of torque to the next very tight turn or crest etc.  Now take a tarmac rally car and put it on dirt/grave/snow is at least the same car with similar physics.  You still have quick sprints to the next corner or crest but grip and suspension changes (basically).  And there are many events that have parts of both on a single stage. 

My point is RALLY is its own motorsport, with similarities to RallyX, Stadium Trucks and other Off-Road racing.  But really has little in common with TRACK type motorsports, so why make 1 game engine to fit both?  Actually this is WAY harder than to just start fresh with 2 that work best for their needs.  

Just to drive this one home, you can take a wrench and maybe use it for a hammer, but its very difficult to use that hammer for a wrench.

hmmm...

Keep calm.. and RALLY on..

gfRally said:

Azoresst said:

@Azoresst‌ 

I am not sure what you are getting at.  I see that @justbiglee‌ didn't find the thread very funny.  I think from our perspective it may have been funny, but we just visit, he OWNS the house.  So I'm just going to go back to watching for tweets and coming up with "confusing"  :\    theories, and drink a few more beers.

"Love that picture, as for the sharing tech... well lets just say F1 cars don't rally well :P" - @justbiglee‌ 

So.. maybe at this point, is where some basic modeling code is shared but finally there is a "DiRT" engine and a "road" (wimpy) engine :smiley: that can share object models but pretty much are separate engines.  

This really makes a lot of sense, when the physics are SO completely different, and in so many ways.  Handling is nothing similar, even a Tarmac rally has very few similarities with a road corse.  The setup for a rally car on tarmac is for short sprints with lots of torque to the next very tight turn or crest etc.  Now take a tarmac rally car and put it on dirt/grave/snow is at least the same car with similar physics.  You still have quick sprints to the next corner or crest but grip and suspension changes (basically).  And there are many events that have parts of both on a single stage. 

My point is RALLY is its own motorsport, with similarities to RallyX, Stadium Trucks and other Off-Road racing.  But really has little in common with TRACK type motorsports, so why make 1 game engine to fit both?  Actually this is WAY harder than to just start fresh with 2 that work best for their needs.  

Just to drive this one home, you can take a wrench and maybe use it for a hammer, but its very difficult to use that hammer for a wrench.

hmmm...

Keep calm.. and RALLY on..

Well theoretically, the physics aren't totally different, as IRL the laws of physics are (pretty much) constant and turning stage mode on in a rally car does not suddenly change that. So if Codices had, hypothetically, the PERFECT physics engine made by one of the other teams, then all that would need to be changed are the tire models and the grip levels of the road.

Obviously this isn't the case but i 'm just saying the amount of tech that can be shared is dependent on how good said tech is.

Mate I've had to bin off that thread, I know what you were getting at but you've gotta mind the language on the forums and it just started a fight which isn't cool, sorry fella.

I knew that would happen, I started it when I was in a bad mood anyway, and was just sick of all the slagging off that was going on, on that forum. And it still continues! Seems like some people think very highly of themselves on that forum.