DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

I wish they could develop it for the N64. Just remove some of the fog and you are done for the Xbox 360. It was way too long since I bought a game on a cartridge. 

dotmartin said:

I wish they could develop it for the N64. Just remove some of the fog and you are done for the Xbox 360. It was way too long since I bought a game on a cartridge. 

"fog" in games before the 360/PS3 actually increased performance/framerate. ;)

Read this excerpt closely, maybe I am wishful thinking:

Now onto new-gen. 2015 will see us release our first title on new-generation platforms. The game will launch earlier in the Formula One season and then go onto receive live digital updates. These updates will deliver 2015 content into the game as the season unfolds, ensuring you’ll be competing against the same drivers and teams you watch week in and week out! The game will be available on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

This only says FIRST TITLE not exactly F1 game.  I don't know, is this carefully crafted words so not to say "our first title will be DiRT" ?  If F1:2015 is the first title and it is April (guess) time frame, then we have a long way to go for Codies next rally game.  

If DiRT4 is way into next year now, I think they may have run into some problems (code not working, taking a huge leap with graphics engine that is causing frame rate problems).  Speculation of course, but @KickUp‌ said that 2014 will be interesting for rally.   I don't think he was talking about the Colin McRae conversion from a few weeks ago.  

At this point I'm not buying into the hype, just going to ride it out till next year.  Grid Autosport has some of my attention right now, and I am finding it pretty enjoyable.  

DiRT

• announced: May 4th 2006
  • first released: Jun 15th 2007
  • difference: 407 days

DiRT 2

• announced: Nov 19th 2008
  • first released: Sep 8th 2009
  • difference: 293 days

DiRT 3

• announced: Jul 30th 2010
  • first released: May 21st 2011
  • difference: 295 days

DiRT Showdown

• announced: Dec 12th 2011
  • first released: May 23rd 2012
  • difference: 163 days

Average time from public announcement to the first release: 289.5 days (May 29th 2015 if announced today) to play the next DiRT game. But I'm willing to wait 407 days for DiRT 4, @justbiglee ! :D ;)

gfRally said:

Read this excerpt closely, maybe I am wishful thinking:

Now onto new-gen. 2015 will see us release our first title on new-generation platforms. The game will launch earlier in the Formula One season and then go onto receive live digital updates. These updates will deliver 2015 content into the game as the season unfolds, ensuring you’ll be competing against the same drivers and teams you watch week in and week out! The game will be available on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

This only says FIRST TITLE not exactly F1 game.  I don't know, is this carefully crafted words so not to say "our first title will be DiRT" ?  If F1:2015 is the first title and it is April (guess) time frame, then we have a long way to go for Codies next rally game.  

If DiRT4 is way into next year now, I think they may have run into some problems (code not working, taking a huge leap with graphics engine that is causing frame rate problems).  Speculation of course, but @KickUp‌ said that 2014 will be interesting for rally.   I don't think he was talking about the Colin McRae conversion from a few weeks ago.  

At this point I'm not buying into the hype, just going to ride it out till next year.  Grid Autosport has some of my attention right now, and I am finding it pretty enjoyable.  

Interesting interesting! While the first sentence in press release extract does not say that 2015 will see Codemasters release their first next-gen F1 game; the info continues by mentioning Formula One season in the following sentence... It would have been very careful word selection if secretly Codies want to release next DiRT in early 2015. 

When did @KickUp say that 2014 will be interesting for rally? It may be that since then Codemasters' priorities and plans have changed. Perhaps development of next generation tech is taking longer than expected. I wonder how the work is split between studios at Codies these days. GRID Autosport is out, but there probably is a decent sized team developing DLC for it. Hopefully, a good chunk of that was moved onto the next DiRT game. Would any devs from the Southam studio work full-time on the F1 title with the Birmingham folk? 

I'm quietly hoping that between F1 2014 release in October and F1 2015 release in April-May 2015 Codemasters will see a slot for the next DiRT game. The gap between the two is quite decent so maybe just maybe... 

Darren Hayward (the vending machine tweet) - Linkedin profile

Experienced Games Designer
Codemasters
Privately Held; 501-1000 employees; Computer Games industry
November 2012 – Present (1 year 10 months) Racing Studio
Working on an unannounced AAA title.

So he's been working on an unannounced AAA since Nov 2012... DiRT 4: Raisin anyday now...

(and good job from QA to game designer)

Whats this one about? Lots of Colour and Lightings books, along with an onboard Irish Rally DVD. Well whatever it is, it'll be well lit and very colourful, which sounds good to me.

https://twitter.com/dirtgame/status/499565569625296898

dotmartin said:

"fog" in games before the 360/PS3 actually increased performance/framerate. ;)

So they say... :)

Whats this one about? Lots of Colour and Lightings books, along with an onboard Irish Rally DVD. Well whatever it is, it'll be well lit and very colourful, which sounds good to me.

That's a really cool photo! I find it amazing how modern games can so beautifully model lighting physics and optical illusions. It's not as if science and equations describing light were discovered in the last decade only. The programmers and engineers have found ridiculously clever ways of using the theory to make it look pretty and realistic in real time. Of course I'm of the view that in case of a racing game it's all about the handling and how it works when playing off or online.

But pretty visuals won't hurt :) Dirt accumulating on the windscreen or rays of light shining through kicked up dust would add a great deal to the immersion and authenticity. I really can't wait to see Codies' and other new generation lighting systems at work. While DriveClub is not exactly making me shout 'just take my money' at times it looks absolutely fantastic. Same goes for Project CARS. 

I wish I know more about it all. Maybe I'll look up one of those textbooks for my bedtime reading :P 

I really like that Lee and other DiRTy devs are posting funny and clever ways of leading us to believe that the next game will be DiRT 4. Then again I'd like it even more if anything, something was announced so that more serious hints can be dropped :) 

This is for all those hints that are dropped:  

(excerpt from Hansel & Gretel)

The following morning, the family treks into the woods. Hansel takes a slice of bread and leaves a trail of bread crumbs to follow home. However, after they are once again abandoned, the children find that birds have eaten the crumbs and they are lost in the woods. After days of wandering, they follow a beautiful white bird to a clearing in the woods and discover a large  cottage built of gingerbread and cakes, with window panes of clear sugar. Hungry and tired, the children begin to eat the rooftop of the candy house, when the door opens and a "very old woman" emerges and lures them inside, with the promise of soft beds and delicious food. They comply, unaware that their hostess is wicked witch who waylays children to cook and eat them.

All I know, is we are all COOKED 

Minor spot, I believe that's a British Rally onboard DVD, not Irish:

http://www.dukevideo.com/prd4960/British-Rally-On-Board-Experience-DVD?gclid=CJSG-sq1ksACFaYIwwodDWkAMg

Codemasters watching onboard footage of WRCars circa 2003 - 2005 sounds good to me...

Instead of a WRC game a British Rally championship game sounds good to me as foreigner.
Mobil 1 Rally Championship was awesome with the real long stages! And the S1600 cars.

Personally I think thats a very good second hand if Codies can not take the ERC or WRC license.
In combination with the Ultimate rallyteam game mode.... * sparkling eyes* godly....  

Didnt @Kickup already asked for some Renault Mégane Maxi material?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3VtQyz8hYM

Only problem with a British rally championship game is that there isn't going to be a British championship next year. 

That's quite a major hurdle in my eyes :)

doyley101 said:

Only problem with a British rally championship game is that there isn't going to be a British championship next year. 

Didn't saw that coming,.... that's sad news, i thought rally sport was quite active in the UK....

JonTucker said:
It's coming back in 2016 @ThierryNeuville. Having a year break and changing promoter.

Back with Codemasters and @jontucker and @kickUp in the Scooby? :D

doyley101 said:

From the comments I've read online the cancellation of next years Championship seems to have divided a lot of British rally fans. I personally think there is sound logic behind the decision, but others do not agree with me!

I would certainly like to see some British rallies included, but I still believe that a "perfect" rally Championship would consist of elements of many Championships rather than just one...

In other (not entirely related) news there is a British Rallycross Championship round coming up at Lydden Hill in a couple of weeks. As it is a fortnight before the World Rallycross round in France I'm hopeful that a World driver or two may enter. Any idea if there will be any Codemasters presence at Lydden (or France) @justbiglee‌?

BTRDA series is still going strong, and personally I think it's a lot more competitive.

Sad news from the Ulster rally this weekend gone, I find it a shame that British rally only gets mainstream attention when something tragic happens.

BTRDA series is still going strong, and personally I think it's a lot more competitive.

Sad news from the Ulster rally this weekend gone, I find it a shame that British rally only gets mainstream attention when something tragic happens.

Off-Topic

Don't find! In Portugal same thing happens! We only get attention when somebody get injuried or die! I remember last year, in Rally Cidade de Castelo Branco de stage had to be canceled because there where so much TV crews cars on it. They got there in SUV, so they go through dirt roads, and stop in the middle of the stage! Yes, all news network talked about the crash in the rally... but no one talked who won it :neutral_face: