DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Doubt it. We don't have refund figures, so can't say if that's actually been high.
v2 seeming easier doesn't mean there was a conscious decision to make the game easier. Harder doesn't always mean more realistic.

We do know that DiRT Rally has more than 3x the number of PC owners that WRC4 has, despite being out for less time.
WRC4 was also released a long time before the refund policy came into affect, so refunds won't have had a big dip in that games numbers.

WRC5 has a max of 9,000 Steam owners, so DR has 18x the sales, despite being Early Access (albeit available for a lot longer now).
WRC5 might well have suffered from a lot of refunds since people complained of performance issues, bugs, etc.

look at the pg i posted and it shows the sales total numbers for june and then 2 months later so you can see the refunds ;)roughly 13,000 copies in 2 months. which is a lot of money.that would of warranted changes.

dgeesi0 said:
look at the pg i posted and it shows the sales total numbers for june and then 2 months later so you can see the refunds ;)roughly 13,000 copies in 2 months. which is a lot of money.that would of warranted changes.
No, it's not that simple.
For one thing, it takes longer than that to make the decision, create and implement physics changes.
Work on v2 basically started knocking around before even Pikes Peak, which is why we had 1.5 introduced for new cars back in June.

Besides, Steamspy isn't 100% accurate. For DiRT Rally right now, it has a 22,000 margin of error for owners.
It's somewhere between 151,629 and 173,887
That's not accurate enough to track just 13,000 units as definitely being refunded.
Steamspy is nothing more than a rough guide. 

Steamcharts data shows that DR is *currently* (last 7 days) attracting the same sort of player numbers as Assetto Corsa and just short of Project CARS, which is no mean feat.

A friendly reminder also, that appearantly AMD gives away DiRT Rally codes away as well with their GPU's. Let's take a conservative 100k sales. I don't know if it has been worth CM's investment in this game so far, I really hope it has because this game really deserves it. I don't know how well popular games usually do after exiting early-access but you could say that most people who are interested in this game might have already bought it by now.

I also hope that if this game turns out to be disproportionately succesful to the costs they made, that they'll realize it is because they made a realism focused rally game and that even regular folk are looking for that sort of experience.

chukonu said:
I also hope that if this game turns out to be disproportionately succesful to the costs they made, that they'll realize it is because they made a realism focused rally game and that even regular folk are looking for that sort of experience.
Yes hopefully!
I think everyone asked would more or less agree the direction they went with this game is the right one.

I am really hopefully looking forward this update because I do not want to be shocked by the next update or pack. I am looking forward cooling down my nerves because the stress that the miserable and utterly pathetic university that put onto me is incredibly dilapidating. 

Please mind me and I do really love rallying when it comes to rallying on snowy environments. It is truly dynamic!

Well,
dwkGravey said:
versedi said:
I'm curious what's the overall sales result at this moment. Let's conclude few things:
  • at daily event we have around 3800 players (let's asume it's a 85% of active-everyday players)
  • the game was sold from 25euro if I'm right in the first period (most likely to the biggest count of players and then after rx update for 35 e)
  • let's assume there's 10% of players that don't play at all - this gives us additional 600 ppl who bought the game
  • summing we have around 5000 people who bought the game.
BrySkye said:
According to Steam Spy, 173,118 owners, plus or minus 11,477

a little bit less...
Darhour said:
Please mind me and I do really love rallying when it comes to rallying on snowy environments. It is truly dynamic!
I'm worried as hell about how snow will turn out in the end...I've hated it in RBR...I love it in RL.

BrySkye said:
lol... over 6 damn months he's teased me with whatever #ThisCar will be and it's still apparently no closer to be revealed.

edit: just noticed it'll be in the 2010s class. Gonna be rough times for Fiesta and Countryman.

If its life-like, we should find more grip than we currently have at the top of the Col desente due to studded tyres.  If, however, its similar and really slippy, I will also hate the snow....  :)

dgeesi0 said:

maybe the buys and refunds has maybe made them look at making it a little easier.

i like v.2 but it has made the game overall a little easier.

I find it made some classes harder, notably Group B.

Also, if they wanted to make it easier, why did they add instadeath cliffs in Greece?

KevM said:
If its life-like, we should find more grip than we currently have at the top of the Col desente due to studded tyres.  If, however, its similar and really slippy, I will also hate the snow....  :)
Yes - indeed.
The upper part of mountain is covered with ice while we're driving slicks - so it has to be slippery and actually I find it really close to real feeling on a tarmac covered with ice. But as you've pointed tyres should be studded which gives overall pretty nice grip on snow combined with really narrow wheels.

Part I'm worried about are the banks and how wide the stages will be.

Am I the only one who loves snow and ice and can't wait for reaching those sections in Monte? Even before the Finland update, I was more excited about Sweden.

versedi said:
KevM said:
Yes - indeed.
The upper part of mountain is covered with ice while we're driving slicks - so it has to be slippery and actually I find it really close to real feeling on a tarmac covered with ice. But as you've pointed tyres should be studded which gives overall pretty nice grip on snow combined with really narrow wheels.

All of this is covered in the last DiRT show, tyres will be studded and stages will be narrow (;

kobeshow said:
versedi said:
KevM said:
All of this is covered in the last DiRT show, tyres will be studded and stages will be narrow (;
I do not believe until I'll play. :)

Am I the only one who loves snow and ice and can't wait for reaching those sections in Monte? Even before the Finland update, I was more excited about Sweden.

Yes, I get enough of it in real life :smile: 

I hope the ARE narrow, in fact, I wish the jump angles were reduced in Finland and the road about 2 metres narrower

KevM said:
I hope the ARE narrow, in fact, I wish the jump angles were reduced in Finland and the road about 2 metres narrower
I think that's the reason why my favorite location's Wales. A DLC with new Wales stages would be just awesome. Maybe with some more muddy really narrow sections through green sides?

...or a few Stone wall lanes thrown in                                             

versedi said:
KevM said:
I think that's the reason why my favorite location's Wales. 
Same here, Wales remains my go-to place.

Even if it was wider, Wales would still be better than Finland because it's so technical. Such a great mix of wet tight corners and deadly high-speed sections, all in that lovely environment. Can't help but think that driving Finland feels a bit like Need for Speed.

gfRally said:

Yes, I get enough of it in real life :smile: 
I wish I got more snow in my stupid real life environment. Visiting my father in the low mountain ranges in winter, with lots of fresh snow, what a delight to drive in.

Even if it was wider, Wales would still be better than Finland because it's so technical. Such a great mix of wet tight corners and deadly high-speed sections, all in that lovely environment. Can't help but think that driving Finland feels a bit like Need for Speed.
i disagree.   finland is the fastest rally in the world because larger roads and mild corners, but that doesn't mean you don't have to drive skillful on this speeds.     I LOVE  IT

i also like wales, i think  they should be  fast stages and also narrow   technical  stages   in proportion 50%/50%

xkevlarx said:
versedi said:
KevM said:
I think that's the reason why my favorite location's Wales. 
Same here, Wales remains my go-to place.
Or Greece? there are some parts that it can't get any narrower than that! Love Greece!

Greece does my head in! lol
I end up driving far too fast & end up on a total wipe-out....