DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Well played, codies. Well played. I was trying to not get excited for launch, and now you go ahead and do this.

BrySkye said:

I can't really think of other cars that would have such a bad reputation. To be honest, hard to imagine one more difficult than the 037 (one of my earliest guesses) and the Delta S4.
The 205 Pikes Peak was an utter hell car with v1, but apparently that's not it either.

How about the R5 Maxi Turbo? That was quite a handful if I'm not mistaken.
Lots of power (345 BHP) on the rear wheels of that short wheelbased Renault.
Only one man ever really mastered that one: Jean Ragnotti.

enamel said:
I doubt the box will contain the game at all, we are up to what 35+ Gb? Unless they ship it on 5 dual layer DVDs, the box will contain a download code. Assuming people even have an optical drive in their PC, it has been several years since I have.
Aren't all PC games these days a small DVD with a Steam download code?

BrySkye said:

I can't really think of other cars that would have such a bad reputation. To be honest, hard to imagine one more difficult than the 037 (one of my earliest guesses) and the Delta S4.
The 205 Pikes Peak was an utter hell car with v1, but apparently that's not it either.

This. The R5 was just bonkers.

BrySkye said:
^
In addition to that, both Paul and Hatward, at the very least have been lingering around in here, dropping a few likes and lols here and there.

If there was absolutely nothing to this, you would think they would be rather quick to shoot it down and say it's fake, especially if it were to associate their product with a vehicle they didn't have permission to use.
That would be pretty bad times for them. 
Yeah, pretty much everything else lately that we have speculated about that has been false, we have been told about it. This hasn't been denied at all. I wonder when the actual announcement is meant to be, or whether this leak changes things?

Woth regards to the game's size, would it not be compressed slightly from the steam download? I don't know much (anything) about it, but I always assumed downloading a game straight was larger than having it on a disc?

BrySkye said:

This. The R5 was just bonkers.
Ahem
BrySkye said:
Not sure about the Renault 5 or Alpine.
You deleted it out of the quote, lol!

i got to try it on the wrong patch that went out early. been waiting for the renault 5 ever since. hope its in soon.

BrySkye said:
The physical PC version of GTA 5 comes on 7 discs.

That's really impressive, good on Rockstar. I still have my original Civilization that came on like 10-12 floppies, I didn't realize there were still games that came like that.
Aren't all PC games these days a small DVD with a Steam download code?
That is what I assumed since there is always a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth from people that like physical media. Like the latest Star Wars game that didn't even have a disc at all in the physical box.

But I am totally out of the loop when it comes to buying physical releases. The last physical box I bought was rFactor 1.

JZStudios said:

Yeah, I like Dirt 2's menu system. I don't like 1 or 3s weird floating tiles against white speckly space. It's just kind of weird. I also liked the interaction of Dirt 2 more than 3. In 2 if you smack into someone they get on they radio and yell at you, in 3 there's no interaction whatsoever. However looking back on it, Dirt 1 had the most types of vehicles, and I always wanted to try the big truck racing. I still feel like the next dirt game could be like that, more off road in general, but maybe people didn't like the trucks?
I can't believe what I'm reading. I think Dirt 2 had the most hateful menu system in human history. I also thought the interaction was shit, what race driver talks to his opponents mid-race?

Dirt 3's menus were shit too, not because of their style, but because they were so awfully slow. Getting from one spot in the menus to another took longer than driving a stage.

My main gripe with Dirt Rally's menu is that you can't read anything against the bright background, but thankfully I know what is where anyway. I think menus aren't games, they're supposed to get me where I want to go quickly and easily, and thus DR's menus are far superior to its predecessors. imho.
Dirt 2's menu was interesting and different, felt like you were on location, unlike every other single racing game where your just looking at a boring spreadsheet menu. Personal preferences, but I commend CM for giving it a try.
I also don't really find Dirt 3's menus slow, but eh, whatever. DR's menus aren't bad, but they're just as boring as every other games. Again Dirt 2 did something different. Also, I'm no expert, but you could talk to the other drivers mid race if you wanted to, especially if they slammed you into a wall and you feel like yelling at them.

enamel said:
That's really impressive, good on Rockstar. I still have my original Civilization that came on like 10-12 floppies, I didn't realize there were still games that came like that.
Mmmm... floppies, a whopping 1.4 Mb of storage, combined with a PC that had a 1.2 Ghz dual core, 40 Mb of HDD and 128 Mb of ram, and they called you insane, you'd never need that much storage and speed.
We still have a large collection of floppies, disc drives, and 258 MB DDR333 ram cards, and 1 old Nvidia GTX.

I would honestly like to see a combination of the first 2 DiRT titles with CMR3 rally atmosphere.

DiRT2 had a story, and a variety of locations all over the world.  

Tone down the DiRT2 xgames style, make it serious, but more of a journey from grassroots to Pro level.  Possibly branch to different types of rally.  Stage, Rallycross, Baja, Mint 400 style (http://themint400.com/2014/03/2014-mint-400-race-map/)

These are Real sports/real tracks/locations, not made up "glam" locations. 

I liked DiRT2 world locations (expensive to do though), but use real events.  Keep the current DiRT Rally locations, just use new stages/areas.

DiRT1 had Lorries and kind of Dakar-esq style racing, which was a nice addition.  

I still play D2 for fun and for the non technical nature.  Sometimes it doesn't have to be real to be fun, that said I still want DR to move forward with its serious and simulation based experience.

Oh yeah keep PikesPeak too, just needs full dirt and more cars, even less hp rally cars, add fairings and larger spoilers like in D2.  

Totally agree with you, Dirt 2 had an interesting story that involved you. I would like to see a more professional version of it, with dirt rally physics and stages

At ethere any interesting details in the Amazon description?

I'm not German, so may translate wrongly, but it looks like the description says:

- 8 environments?
- 50 stages (grrr)? Would make sense post-Finland.
- 28 cars in 7 classes? I count 39 (including i20 and Polo) in 12, 30 in 10 in rallying.
- 2 RX tracks? Been three for a while.

My GCSE German is barely helping.

Considering they don't have many facts right, I doubt there is any new information there. It's mainly about basic features such as weather, number of cars/stages etc. plus some stuff about tuning and upgrading

His Top Gear appearance and tribute are also some of the few things that haven't been culled from Youtube.
(For some reason the 2nd half of the vid is just the 1st half again without sound)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTwjnt1nbrs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQdAwuZXAWc

Totally agree with you, Dirt 2 had an interesting story that involved you. I would like to see a more professional version of it, with dirt rally physics and stages
Oh yeah, one more, absolutely have to have CMR3 animations.  Loved the service area work and sounds, the start of the stage animations with marshal walking up to car, and finally the celebrations at the end of the event.  

These just add to the experience and rally culture we love.  

People are as much about rally as the cars and places.  

No gossip just respect to the legend Richard Burns today. 

http://youtu.be/GqGUD6Wz14w
Makes me wanna dig out my PS2 and the old Evo Studios WRC games and run a Championship as Burns/Reid. 

It irks me how short life can be, especially for people like Richard. Jenson Button reminds me a lot of Burns, the way he has the skill, but he also has the great character which is incredible and so important to have in any sport. Burns had both in abundance. 

Having the POLO R WRC in D:R is kinda dream come true to me.

Fell in love with this car when I first saw it @ Rally Legend San Marino in 2012 in the hands of Carlos Sainz as one of the VW WRC programme development drivers...

very excited to learn it will make it into the final version of D:R  ! :)