DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

If there was a one car Codies would spend a good amount of licencing money then it would be the VW Polo WRC. The dominator, awesome and would even tempt players who were unsure of a purchase. I won't be surprised if it gets added.

There was a tweet by Jon Tucker from over a year ago where he posted a photo of the VW Polo WRC R with text: 'Braking news.'  It can really happen :)

And just as @BrySkye pointed out the other WRC cars in DiRT Rally do not have 'WRC' in their names. It's all down to whether the manufacturer had an exclusive deal with someone else. It's possible that VW don't when it comes to the WRC car and they wanted their amazing machine to be featured in the best rally game out there.

BrySkye said:

Calling it a Polo R WRC is, of course, impossible.
Calling it, say... "Polo Rally" would be fine.

Yeah. If I recall correctly the two WRCars in DiRT 1 had no official branding on them. That's a hell of a result if CM have managed to secure both the Polo and the i20. As much as I am a fan of the Fiesta, the Polo is really the premier car in rally at the moment, so it would be superb to see it in game.

BrySkye said:

Gran Turismo 5 did not have any kind of FIA F1 license, though it did have an official FIA WRC license as part of the Sebastian Loeb Challenge, so the cars could actually be called WRC cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XebGceFe93g

Omg , I never knew the Rally Gameplay of Gran Turismo 5 still looks so ridiculous.
Clearly reminds me what a masterpiece we have here with DR.

that GT5  C4 WRC drives like it had a Lancia Fulvia engine in it + no dust, no sense of speed , just nice background graphics, thats all. 

BrySkye said:

Gran Turismo 5 did not have any kind of FIA F1 license, though it did have an official FIA WRC license as part of the Sebastian Loeb Challenge, so the cars could actually be called WRC cars.

Omg , I never knew the Rally Gameplay of Gran Turismo 5 still looks so ridiculous.
Clearly reminds me what a masterpiece we have here with DR.
(I know, Rallying is just a side discipline of GT5 though) 

that GT5  C4 WRC drives like it had a Lancia Fulvia engine in it + no dust, no sense of speed , just nice background graphics, thats all. 

Which is why I never like massively diverse games; rather than doing one or two things well, they try to do ten things not so well.

See also, Project CARS.

Which is why I never like massively diverse games; rather than doing one or two things well, they try to do ten things not so well.

See also, Project CARS.
funny you name Project CARS as a negative example here ! I own P.C. myself and I really enjoy to online race there;   besides D:R sessions... 
Its not 100% perfect, but nothing wrong with the feeling of the diverse classes imo and the patches erased many of the earlier bugs. 

What is happening with project cars 2? The last I saw if it you paid something stupid like £50 and got a flat piece of track with different surfaces

Funny thing is that rally in GT doesn't feel as bad as it might look in gameplay, especially chase came.
Yet the way the cars move on gravel in a replay actually looks pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoqSGyOpilI

BrySkye said:
Funny thing is that rally in GT doesn't feel as bad as it might look in gameplay, especially chase came.

I'd bet any rally fan £10 that they couldn't listen to that without looking at it and guess what car it is from the engine sound! Did they not even try and make it sound like a Quatrro?

Sound has been a huge weakness ever since the game left the original Playstation.
It's kind of understandable though. With so many cars, and engines, it'd not practical to record all of them and if some cars were properly recorded, it'd be all the more jarring when driving anything else.

The big 4 wheel power-slides do look well!  You had to think outside the box a little to drive like that on Gran Turismo, it wasn't close to intuitive at all, but you could manage by thinking waaay ahead of the corner you were approaching!  If I remember correctly, the grip was virtually non-existent on that track, the snow one was interesting too!!

BrySkye said:

I'd bet any rally fan £10 that they couldn't listen to that without looking at it and guess what car it is from the engine sound! Did they not even try and make it sound like a Quatrro?
Sound is my biggest gripe with the Gran Turismo series. Don't get me wrong: I own and have enjoyed every game in the GT series, but the sound applied to some of the iconic cars is utterly jarring. 

I can understand that they don't want/are unable to go and record all 200 versions of the GT-R in game, but for the cars with a distinctive engine note, why they haven't bothered boggles my mind. They must have spent countless hours making the E2 look absolutely pixel perfect... then they just slapped a generic engine note on top of it. 

Oh and - personal point of view - as much as I enjoy racing in GT, I have never rated the rally portion of the games. 

That Quattro sounds like an inline 6 BMW car otherwise BMW 3 series which comes with inline 6.

Judging by how all other WRC spec cars are named in DR, the Polo R WRC 2015 will be called "Volkswagen Polo R Rally 2015". Problem solved.

BrySkye said:
Are you sure the "Looks good to me" post is to be taken seriously? He could be dodging our gossiping jabs.
If it was made up, Paul and CM would be taking it very seriously, not joking around.
So would VW. Lawyers would probably be involved.

Calling it a Polo R WRC is, of course, impossible.
Calling it, say... "Polo Rally" would be fine.

An official licensed product doesn't strictly gain exclusive use of the cars.
For example, Codemasters have the official FIA F1 license. They gained this around 2008 and they released F1 2009 for the PS2 and Wii in 2009.
F1 2010 was released at the end of 2010.
At the same time, Gran Turismo 5 was released and featured the Ferrari F10, Ferrari's car of the 2010 season.

This was also the same year Milestone released their first WRC game, so yeah, two games were released at the same time that had the FIA WRC license.
As you can see, the car is listed as the C4 WRC and the WRC logo is on the side of the car.

That's not to say DiRT Rally has gained a WRC license, it's just an example to how complicated the whole thing can potentially be.

Car makers are asked to respect the license of an official race series, but I don't believe they are strictly obliged to follow it.
Sega released Sega Rally 3 in the arcades, a tweaked version of Sega Rally Revo, and that had the WRC licence too. But when they ported it to consoles, as Sega Rally Online Arcade, the WRC part was lost, so it must have been exclusive for arcades only.

tbtstt said:
Oh and - personal point of view - as much as I enjoy racing in GT, I have never rated the rally portion of the games. 
I never really did either, but it's pretty much your only option if you want to drive a nice looking Quattro E2 or a barely ok Corolla WRC with modern graphics. That poor, poor overlooked car.

Suppose it's worth remembering Polyphony are in Japan. Codies have enough trouble trying to record the handfull of cars in the game despite being based in Europe, where most of the rally teams are based and where there is a healthy number of these cars in collectors hands that are candidates.
To make it remotely economical for Polyphony to fly to Europe to record cars, they'd have to be able to record a lot of cars at once, and that's a tall order for things like rally cars and a bit of  a logistical nightmare to try and arrange.

BrySkye said:
tbtstt said:
I never really did either, but it's pretty much your only option if you want to drive a nice looking Quattro E2 or a barely ok Corolla WRC with modern graphics. That poor, poor overlooked car.
I would rather drive a poorly modeled E2 that has the right sound, than a perfectly rendered car that doesn't sound right. I personally find the incorrect sound paired to a car a much bigger immersion breaker than graphics: especially when the car in question is one of (if not the) greatest sounding competition car of all time! I appreciate I may be in the minority with that point though, as many seem to put preference on graphics.

That's a fair point with regards to sourcing a car to record. Sure they could have found an inline 5 cylinder engine to record somewhere in Japan though... 

tbtstt said:
BrySkye said:
tbtstt said:
I would rather drive a poorly modeled E2 that has the right sound, than a perfectly rendered car that doesn't sound right. I personally find the incorrect sound paired to a car a much bigger immersion breaker than graphics: especially when the car in question is one of (if not the) greatest sounding competition car of all time! I appreciate I may be in the minority with that point though, as many seem to put preference on graphics.

That's a fair point with regards to sourcing a car to record. Sure they could have found an inline 5 cylinder engine to record somewhere in Japan though... 
I rarely see the outside of the car, so I'd probably have to agree with you!

Jeez I swear this thread is not good for my health... VW, I20, any other? Winter Wonderland?
Last time before Modern Masters I almost had a heart attack, and this time it's getting worse!

tbtstt said:
BrySkye said:
tbtstt said:

For the E2, there were only 20 cars and they are all in Europe (not all in one piece either)
So that's almost certainly going to be a bit of compromise in there such as using an engine that wasn't full E2 500hp spec.
http://www.ableitet.no/twentyS1/twentycars.htm
Obviously it could be better, but the list of the 'premium' high-detail cars in GT6 was around 200, so even that's a lot to try and record properly.

With myself, I've never had the pleasure of hearing these cars in real life, nor have I watched a truly substantial amount of videos, so there is a certain amount of ignorance being bliss.
I'm a little more attuned to turbojets and turbofans than cars.  :p

BrySkye said:
For the E2, there were only 20 cars and they are all in Europe (not all in one piece either)
So that's almost certainly going to be a bit of compromise in there such as using an engine that wasn't full E2 500hp spec.
http://www.ableitet.no/twentyS1/twentycars.htm
Obviously it could be better, but the list of the 'premium' high-detail cars in GT6 was around 200, so even that's a lot to try and record properly.

With myself, I've never had the pleasure of hearing these cars in real life, nor have I watched a truly substantial amount of videos, so there is a certain amount of ignorance being bliss.
I'm a little more attuned to turbojets and turbofans than cars
Yeah, the number of genuine E2's is very low, but the "regular" Sport quattro's are slightly more common - and there have been a few other Audi's with inline fives - so they could have surely sourced something a bit closer sounding than the generic engine note they used 

The Sport quattro (in all it's forms) is best appreciated in person, but you can still get a pretty good idea of "that" sound via video. Make sure your volume is turned up...

https://youtu.be/cDRkHXMHqFo

tbtstt said:
The Sport quattro (in all it's forms) is best appreciated in person, but you can still get a pretty good idea of "that" sound via video. Make sure your volume is turned up...
It can absolutely be appreciated, but not so much... understood or felt (if you'll pardon how pretentious that sounds).
It may not become instantly ingrained on your mind and recognisable, especially if its not really a deep passion.

See, I can post this here video of an Avro Vulcan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqA6bgFPGWI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8rVwhnjBr4

And that sound might not really blow away a car fan. :)

A true appreciation for nuance is, I feel, directly related to a persons passion for the subject.
I like racing games and by extension a number of cars, but they aren't a deep seated part of my life as it were.

BrySkye said:

See, I can post this here video of an Avro Vulcan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqA6bgFPGWI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8rVwhnjBr4

And that sound might not really blow away a car fan. :)
I was into aircraft long before I got into cars, so I can appreciate that! :) 

I was standing around the our farm at home earlier this year when I suddenly heard a noise, looked round and the Vulcan came over head, absolutely amazing noise and sight! Was lucky to see it flying over silverstone a few years back too

I was standing around the our farm at home earlier this year when I suddenly heard a noise, looked round and the Vulcan came over head, absolutely amazing noise and sight! Was lucky to see it flying over silverstone a few years back too
Frightening noise when you're not expecting it. 
My girlfriend's parents live out in the sticks outside Peterborough, and a Lancaster bomber sometimes flies over head, really low, due to there being several RAF bases nearby. Now that is a frightening noise, but wow, so immense.