DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×
How to contact Customer Service Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

SnailDirt said:
hola said:
So, rallycross will be the important part of Dirt4.....
I strongly hope not...
I strongly hope so. I love point to point rally but rally cross is just brilliant in my opinion. Its always the discipline in DiRT games I use most, far more than any other. Would love it to be the key focus of the game but don't think it will happen.

Bad start we've got here If Rallycross really is the main area of the game

hola said:
Bad start we've got here If Rallycross really is the main area of the game
It will be equal share, or 70/30 in rally's favor.

it may be like this, RX will sell it, and stage rally will be the focus.  Here in the states GRC is gaining popularity, less know about stage rally.  What is more popular in UK/Europe?

gfRally said:
it may be like this, RX will sell it, and stage rally will be the focus.  Here in the states GRC is gaining popularity, less know about stage rally.  What is more popular in UK/Europe?
Point to point (WRC) is always popular over there.

gfRally said:
Point to point (WRC) is always popular over there.
If Meeke can win then I think it'll really take off over here again. Last year I would estimate that there were easily 100000 at Wales rally GB over the weekend, we were turned away from stages for the first time ever!

gfRally said:
I would say rally. Rallycross has a following here, but there are far more rally events on the British Isles than there are rallycross. 

Rallycross - specifically Rallycross RX/World Rallycross Championship - has had a lot of mainstream coverage in the last couple of years, so who knows... (though I personally doubt it will ever be as popular as rally).

Hello, 
Either there's no DiRTi gossip these days or I can't spot it anymore... :(

I've been trying to drum up interest on twitter to no avail... no bites from @justbiglee‌ or @dirtgame.  Though I did notice @justbiglee‌ is in Birmingham today.  

https://twitter.com/justbiglee/status/512168314949599232

Don't know if it means anything..

Also I see that Ian Griffiths is leaving codemasters today.  

Right now Codemasters are looking like yesterdays chip shop paper.  If the only thing they have due out this year is the 'business as usual' F1 2014, I don't see that feeling changing any time soon.  Just no buzz like there used to be.  They're probably as keen to give news out as we are, but it doesn't seem like it from where we're sat.  We all want to feel excited again about an up and coming title.

Right now Codemasters are looking like yesterdays chip shop paper.  If the only thing they have due out this year is the 'business as usual' F1 2014, I don't see that feeling changing any time soon.  Just no buzz like there used to be.  They're probably as keen to give news out as we are, but it doesn't seem like it from where we're sat.  We all want to feel excited again about an up and coming title.
They have been talking about Rallycross lately so maybe a hint that RX is in the next rally game?

couger1981 said:
[...]
They have been talking about Rallycross lately so maybe a hint that RX is in the next rally game?
Rallycross in a rally game! That's outrageous!! Like FIFA featuring the Miami Dolphins... :)

As I said before, look at the past and it tells you the future.

As far as I can tell there has been no time when CM have two big releases announced at once. So the next possible slot for a release is after F1 2014.

They are probably having a big pow-wow over FH2 and seeing where DirtX positions itself relative to that. My guess is that if what they have looks good relative to FH2 then they will push hard to bring the release date forwards. Otherwise they may hang back to bring it up to compete better.

I think there must be some big questions over rallycross and the overlap with Grid. Personally I think Grid Autosport is a good, but somewhat flawed game. Despite its flaws, I am loving it. The flaws are more easily recitified than some of the other issues you might want to address in a game. Rallycross to me feels much more like a content pack for Grid Autosport than a stand alone program. There is really not so much difference between rallycross and the circuit racing of GA (dips for cover behind rock), at least from a game architecture perspective.

Just seen a post on Facebook from an employee of Dansport (http://www.dansport.net/) indicating that Codemasters are there recording a Lancia Fulvia today. 

tbtstt said:
Just seen a post on Facebook from an employee of Dansport (http://www.dansport.net/) indicating that Codemasters are there recording a Lancia Fulvia today. 
I wonder what timeframe that puts things, I agree the game is probably a while out, but as we hear of these 'reports' of sound recording could they be doing this up to the last month  of development?  don't know 

Recording sounds late into development is not uncommon. After all, sounds don't need to be balanced in a way that physics or gameplay elements are. Sure all car sounds need to sound great so you can't start at the last minute, but you want to have your game working right before polishing stuff like sound and visuals.

Not having a clue about game development I personally wouldn't jump to any conclusions. 

You could quite easily read it the other way; as @Areyouben‌ said individual car audio isn't likely to require months of tweaking in the same way as physics etc. Additionally I wonder if Codemasters would bother to record cars that they haven't yet got the license for? 

Having said that I'm starting to think that we aren't going to see any official confirmation of DiRT 4 in 2014.

If there only doing sounds now i wouldn't be surprised that they have only just started developing the game.
As a Software Developer I don't agree with you on this. There are a lot of things that need to be done, before you're gonna worry about how one specific car sounds. And like @tbtstt said, I wonder if Codemasters would bother to record cars that they haven't yet got the license for?

If a person is hired for the job of sound designer full time along with a couple of other people, there is a bit more to it than 'just recording sound'.  Otherwise, save money and hire a temp to go out and do thy bidding.  I don't know much about what the job requires, but I believe that it is an ongoing process.  Codemasters do a pretty good job with their car audio, its never sounded last minute. 

That all said, I am sure that parts can be implemented even up to the end, once all the sound engine is farther along.

Dirt maybe a little off schedule since we know that either Paul or Jon (still makes me think of the Beatles) mentioned that 2014 will be an exciting year for rally, and the end is fast approaching. 

I reckon a possible November announcement.

Personally, I think the only audio that needs improving is the cockpit cam. Needs more noise from stones and gravel hitting the underside of the car, and better sounds from impacts to scenery and other cars.

I mentioned it quite a few pages back, but Paul said to me on Rally GB last year that 'something' had been in development for over a year. That was last November

Paul has been doing a few real rally's as well so I think they learned a lot from that as far as sounds go. It's always hard to recreate sounds when you don't have experience hearing it in real life for a long time. But being a co driver you get some nice 'sound time' so to speak so I think they will improve on that. :)

My feeling is that the next game is somewhere between 50%-70% developed... If they are recording sounds it's likely they have an improved audio system/engine working, which may also come with new recording techniques and hardware. But then again I know nothing about such things...

I do wish that DiRTi devs and Codies would be a bit more open with how they're progressing. I can understand that F1 games are limited by licensing approvals, so it's difficult to have anything in the open. With the F1 2014 and F1 2015 in development at the same time it may be than the DiRT team do not have a full-time dev time dedicated to the project. Who knows...

Thinking back to E3 days or the KeyboardGate ( @justbiglee ) makes me realise we can't take anything for remotely certain... :( Then again if there's no hype, maybe it means they're silently cracking on creating and developing to then come out with a BANG announcement? 
Wishful thinking :)