DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

My feeling is that the next game is somewhere between 50%-70% developed... If they are recording sounds it's likely they have an improved audio system/engine working, which may also come with new recording techniques and hardware. But then again I know nothing about such things...

I do wish that DiRTi devs and Codies would be a bit more open with how they're progressing. I can understand that F1 games are limited by licensing approvals, so it's difficult to have anything in the open. With the F1 2014 and F1 2015 in development at the same time it may be than the DiRT team do not have a full-time dev time dedicated to the project. Who knows...

Thinking back to E3 days or the KeyboardGate ( @justbiglee ) makes me realise we can't take anything for remotely certain... :( Then again if there's no hype, maybe it means they're silently cracking on creating and developing to then come out with a BANG announcement? 
Wishful thinking :)
Each department has their own Dev team this was confirmed by Paul around the time DiRT 3 was released :)

Developers should be more transparent about the development without giving content away. Instead of giving the full car list away, just pick one car and do a weekly video item on it.

Week 1, how does licensing work, what does a developer do to prepare, gathering reference material in the form of photo's, video and experience of drivers etc.

Week 2, scanning and modeling.

Week 3, first physics set up

Week 4, sound development

Week 5, polishing all aspects

Week 6, the result.

That way we have some nice material to look at for 6 weeks, the developer gives a cool insight into the development and all that without giving a lot of content away (just one car). As a gamer and an artist it's interesting how different developers work out and implement assets into their projects. :)

gfRally said:
If a person is hired for the job of sound designer full time along with a couple of other people, there is a bit more to it than 'just recording sound'.  Otherwise, save money and hire a temp to go out and do thy bidding.  I don't know much about what the job requires, but I believe that it is an ongoing process.  Codemasters do a pretty good job with their car audio, its never sounded last minute. 

That all said, I am sure that parts can be implemented even up to the end, once all the sound engine is farther along.

Dirt maybe a little off schedule since we know that either Paul or Jon (still makes me think of the Beatles) mentioned that 2014 will be an exciting year for rally, and the end is fast approaching. 
My guess is you're looking at 3-4K or so to send a sound team out to record a car. Doesn't sound like a lot but it all adds up. They aren't going to send people to do stuff like this unless they feel it is 100% necessary. That means not only is a new game on the way (which I guess we knew anyway), but it is almost certain to feature this car. And almost certain to feature more in the class. When you see that CM decided to ditch classics from the F1 (so there's no guarantee all the classes from Dirt 3 will make it), it's great news to hear that this car will be in, as I love the rally classics. 

Another interesting thing is that they feel the need to re-record it, as they must have captured a load of sound for Dirt 3. This suggests either they felt that they didn't capture the original sound well enough (I can't remember how good it is in Dirt 3) or maybe that the sound has undergone significant upgrades in the new game that requires re-recording.

OR ... to blow all the above speculation out of the window maybe they just felt like they needed a test run on sound acquisition protocols ! We will never know :)

Regarding the release date, you can speculate for ever about this. Early novemeber would probably be the next slot in time for Xmas, but I can't see it myself. F1 has to take precident, because of the licensing. It makes no sense for them not to release an F1 game every year when they are paying for the licence, but the same isn't true of Dirt. I think there is a very good chance that they will thow everything but the kitchen sink at F1 2015, even if that means dragging in resource from extra teams. So we Dirt fans may have to beb patient.

Come on justbiglee, we deserve a snippet of info. 

@dirt3joe‌ 

You make some good points there, and I agree with you about the cost of sending a team out for capture, so its more than likely that you can check off that car in the list of cars that will be included.  

@couger1981 mentioned about dev teams, here is what I found out: 

I have asked this directly myself as I had questions about what comes from where. F1 games are developed only in Birmingham with their own team, sound, programming, graphics everything.  

Southam is where Grid and DiRT series teams are located, I believe there is some personnel that is moved back and forth between the series, but there are still separate teams for each game.  

The mobile 'apps' teams are located outside the country for the most part.  

So when we keep thinking that F1 is stealing up resources from DiRT this is extremely unlikely.  More than likely the only factor involved for what game is talked about at the current time is for sales and marketing purposes.  I can guarantee after putting thousands if not millions of dollars into game development that they would sit on it for another game to take the stage.  They will need to recoup the money relatively quick.  

Honestly you'd be surprised how close you guys get to things between you sometimes.

Personally I wanted to start talking about what we're up to early this year... actually probably before that. I'd love to have done more that talks about how we're building and doing stuff without giving the whole game away. I'm pretty sure I could make something like that work, everyday something new crops up I can talk about. They usually have a bit of a running theme too, as you guys noticed we've been through a few weeks of diff's, spent some (a lot) of time on tyres and just yesterday the topic of conversation was traction control...

And that was just coming from the car handling team! Audio have been out recording cars this week, I've not been down and seen what the track guys are up to and I'm not sure what he's been doing but I keep seeing an Italian favourite up on one of the car guys screens with all wire frame looking things spinning out of it.

Then there's what the game design team (Paul, Darren, #RossGowing) are up too... you get my point. Lots going on, and believe me there isn't a person that I've mentioned above that doesn't want to start talking about what we're up to. Sadly its not up to me, or any of those guys and we don't mean to be stringing you guys along like we have been - we just wanna try give you what we can because we know you're the only ones that actually see what we're really saying.

As for your announce date theories... I'm sailing pretty close to the wind with this but take a look at the other games that are coming out in November. GTA, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Dragon Age, Far Cry... See where I'm going with this?

As much as I'd love to tell you all the other stuff that's going on I can't, which is odd because there is a lot of stuff going on atm that you guys could really help us with. So for now we'll just have to keep doing this dance

You guys already know a lot more than you might think. :) 

I love coming up with theories, which make no sense just for the fun of it.  

This was posted on Sept 18th:

https://twitter.com/dirtgame/status/512559854301368321

There are 77 bars there, stacked 10 high.

77 days from Sept 18 is December 4th (4.. coincidence?) 10 high could be october, and there are 2 at the top, probably 1 eaten, signifying a countdown of sorts.  1 gone could be that sept 18 is the start from date?

Just for fun, what could we derive from this tease/information?

We know November is out, So maybe there is October or December.

I am making this up as I go (obvious), and laughing at my theory, but fun to think about.

Also I see in the pic is kleenex, a McRae sticker, a phone shoved uslessly behind the monitor with a 4 at the top (no 1,2,3) and a DiRT sticker without a number in the bottom corner?  Anyone ever play Wheres Waldo?

Good post @justbiglee‌: at least you guys seem to realise how much you are winding us all up! :smiley: 

Slightly wandering off topic (apologies if its too far off topic, please feel free to move this post if it is!), but I just uploaded some photos from the World Rallycross at Loheac.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22961613@N06/sets/72157647463246441/

Plenty of cool liveries for @KickUp‌ to confirm are included in the next game... :wink: 

Honestly you'd be surprised how close you guys get to things between you sometimes.

Thanks !

Although I would love another Dirt quickly I want it to be great and also successful so you guys can continue making more games in the future. I feel slightly annoyed at GA, because my feeling after spending a lot of time playing it is that it is a good game but has not got the recognition it deserves, for whatever reason. I don't want Dirt to go the same way. I love it too much. So if it takes time to make it more spectacular and get better recognition, so be it. In the meantime we can have fun following the footprints and the odd breadcrumb ... I do not search for info on dirt, but I am amazed at what people manage to find out and post on here ! Edit : I guess at the very least its a good test of your secrecy procedures !

So with all those games Lee mentioned coming out between now and Christmas it's unlikely we will hear something this year.

@justbiglee‌ GTA won't be coming out until the 27th of January ;)
Nice read, take your time finishing the game, I don't want it to be rushed, after 3½ years of waiting those couple of months won't matter.

Lee also mentioned a Italian favorite may be in the game whether its a Rally venue (Rally di Sardegna) or a Rally car (Stratos or Fulvia) but we won't find out until they release dome info about the next game.

Lee also mentioned a Italian favorite may be in the game whether its a Rally venue (Rally di Sardegna) or a Rally car (Stratos or Fulvia) but we won't find out until they release dome info about the next game.
I keep seeing an Italian favourite up on one of the car guys screens with all wire frame looking things spinning out of it. 
Probably a car, on my first read I thought it was a rallystage, but when I re-read the sentence I noticed he is talking about a car. Would be nice to see some Italian Rally appear in the next DiRT.

Its interesting to compare how different publishers market their products.
@justbiglee‌ GTA won't be coming out until the 27th of January ;)

Its out in November for the PS4-XB1.  With that in mind I'll make some assumptions that Dirt 4 is being done for those consoles and PC, and hopefully using the brand new Ego engine version.

So with all those games Lee mentioned coming out between now and Christmas it's unlikely we will hear something this year.
They just don't want to get drowned out by all the AAA games; DiRT 2 (highest selling?) was announced November 19th 2008 (announced after CoD)... it's just this year there's more AAA games releasing till the 24th so I agree with @gfRally's candybar countdown theory, especially convincing it ends on Dec 4th.

DiRT Showdown was announced in December (the 13th to be exact).

I'm all for it! I guess we could write off any speculations (again) that there is a game in this category in the making. Announce it when you guys are ready for it. I'll be waiting patiently. 

In the meantime, who is up for some DiRT3 online on PS3? (where my ol' G27 still works) :) 

Personally I wanted to start talking about what we're up to early this year... actually probably before that. I'd love to have done more that talks about how we're building and doing stuff without giving the whole game away. I'm pretty sure I could make something like that work, everyday something new crops up I can talk about. They usually have a bit of a running theme too, as you guys noticed we've been through a few weeks of diff's, spent some (a lot) of time on tyres and just yesterday the topic of conversation was traction control...

And that was just coming from the car handling team! Audio have been out recording cars this week, I've not been down and seen what the track guys are up to and I'm not sure what he's been doing but I keep seeing an Italian favourite up on one of the car guys screens with all wire frame looking things spinning out of it.

Then there's what the game design team (Paul, Darren, #RossGowing) are up too... you get my point. Lots going on, and believe me there isn't a person that I've mentioned above that doesn't want to start talking about what we're up to. Sadly its not up to me, or any of those guys and we don't mean to be stringing you guys along like we have been - we just wanna try give you what we can because we know you're the only ones that actually see what we're really saying.

As for your announce date theories... I'm sailing pretty close to the wind with this but take a look at the other games that are coming out in November. GTA, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Dragon Age, Far Cry... See where I'm going with this?

As much as I'd love to tell you all the other stuff that's going on I can't, which is odd because there is a lot of stuff going on atm that you guys could really help us with. So for now we'll just have to keep doing this dance

You guys already know a lot more than you might think. :) 
Thanks for the above post @justbiglee - I was quietly hoping for a such a response :)

I remember that during the days when the forum was down at the beginning of the year you've asked the community via email what kind of features/write-ups/behind the scenes we would like to see. I've met some of the Codies DiRT guys at Battersea in 2011 and it was clear to me how passionate they were about the games they made and how much they cared about fan views. I'm sure they would like show off the things they've worked on for the past 1? 2? 3? years :)

I guess we won't know the reasons why nothing can be said about the next DiRT game right now and why the company (management) is not that keen to release quite soon. I just hope that they'll see that there could be a benefit in opening up a bit more either through talking about approach, methods, beta, early access, community days. I don't know how game companies do market research these days, but undoubtedly early feedback could save time and money for the developer. Then again we've had great hints about the direction in which the game is going so no worries there :)

Anyways, I'll keep on dancing DiRTy trying to read between the lines, ask stupid questions, wildly speculate and such :) 

(imagine having the next DiRT game right now on a very good PC, with a latest wheel and consumer version of the Oculus Rift... that's what I'm waiting for in 2015...)

Anyways, I'll keep on dancing DiRTy trying to read between the lines, ask stupid questions, wildly speculate and such :) 

(imagine having the next DiRT game right now on a very good PC, with a latest wheel and consumer version of the Oculus Rift... that's what I'm waiting for in 2015...)
(Oculus Rift) Might not need a real rally car at that point.. heck might not need a real life, either.. hahaha

Out of interest, is Oculus Rift thought to work with consoles in the future, or will only Sony/Microsoft similar products work with them? I would definitly purchase an Oculus Rift if it would support a future DiRT game!

I guess we won't know the reasons why nothing can be said about the next DiRT game right now and why the company (management) is not that keen to release quite soon. I just hope that they'll see that there could be a benefit in opening up a bit more either through talking about approach, methods, beta, early access, community days. I don't know how game companies do market research these days, but undoubtedly early feedback could save time and money for the developer. 
Everyday this is the kind of stuff I fight for on your behalf.

@justbiglee‌ needs to clean his desk up...

https://twitter.com/justbiglee/status/514688158894927872

(...and share some of that chocolate). 

Nice to see a few more posts here. I'm guessing by @justbiglee‌ long post, and saying about games being launched in November, that it's unlikely that we'll hear something until at least December :( 

also, could someone please point me in the direction of an explanation of what this 'Oculus rift' thing is?

The Oculus Rift is a device that you put on your head and over your eyes. inside this device there are two screens, one for each eye. Also implemented into this device is a motion tracker which tracks all of your head movements. The Rift then sends this information to the game to update the movement of the game camera and the game then renders into the device. So what you have is head tracking device and a screen that's inside of a device that blocks all other lights in one. I have tried it a couple of times with a custom racing simulator and it really is a big improvement for racing simulators!

Wow, that sounds pretty impressive, and a great way to ruin your eyesight too haha
@Rallycameraman, It is. the camera basically moves with your head. it can go up, down, left, right and tilt in whatever direction you move/tilt your head. the newest model also has built in speakers (though not 360 degrees yet) and LED lights all round the head. I think they bumped up the screen res too. can't confirm that, though.

here's a vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wjvbQ2uJDk