DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

KevM said:
Seems to keep you occupied on NYE.  I don't claim to be correct, I don't really mind either way...

You say - original S1 up to 1984?

Audi media press release
Mind they haven't pointed out which one is the A1 and A2, so the entire list loses on credibility a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if that list was made by someone who was born when Audi was getting those victories. @BrySkye linked to articles that were released at the time those events took place, not 20 years after, which makes them THE most accurate source of information you can find on the internet.

BrySkye said:
Jepsertti said:
phil94ma said:
"Thanks to the success of the Audi R8 Ultra 2014, and as a response to the requests of our fans, we are going to replicate the brand new R8 Ultra 2016. The new amazing Audi car will not come alone, since we are also working on the Audi R18 E-Tron, TT VLN 2014, TT CUP 2015, A1 S1, Sport quattro S1 E2 and TT 2015 models."
That's easy then. They are making a fictional car, so they don't need a license :p Remember, it's Quattro S1 and Quattro E2, not Quattro S1 E2 ;) I learnt my mistake, now I'm keeping the proper naming.
The official name is Audi Quattro S1 E2.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_Quattro
It's not. :p Amazingly enough, Wiki is wrong.
http://www.ableitet.no/twentyS1/s1vse2.htm
Rather more detailed, sourced account including where the misconception came from.

The info at this link is indeed correct: I too spent many years with the wrong interpretation of the quattro Sport designations.

There is more information on the subject in the (very excellent) McKlein quattro book...

...much like the Impreza WRC/22B nomenclature the incorrect designations for the Sport quattro are so widespread on the web (including Wiki!) I'd say it's virtually impossible to correct them all!

You people probably fell too drunk to revive the thread lol

Anyways, first post in January 2016 huh

I'll start a new year's gossip then. I've been greping files for some interesting values and I've found something like this:

Action id="Replay Youtube"

Any Youtube Integration is planned or what was the purpose of these in some previous games?

You could upload a 30 sec clip directly to YouTube in Dirt 3, with a preset 'duuuuuuuuuude' comment! 

KevM said:
You could upload a 30 sec clip directly to YouTube in Dirt 3, with a preset 'duuuuuuuuuude' comment! 
IT ROCKS!

versedi said:
Next question then, what's a Screenshot Mode?

Is it dev's tools for free camera?
+100000000

hello  happy new year

can someone explain me why  on gravel events  in championship i often beat all with  20-35 seconds  over 2nd place
and on tarmac it's a miracle if i  become 1st?

i drive smooth,cut the corners as  much i can (monaco)  i don't understand

maybe the leaderbord times are too harsh  or  like some said tarmac physics are not so cool  :D  (porky)

urgaffel said:
Merry New Year! May the gossip flow freely in the year to come :smiley: 
@urgaffel   So your saying there is stuff to gossip about?  Any hints?  Could you point us in the right direction to gossip?  :wink: 

teknoid85 said:
In Monte Carlo it's all about the flow. You don't have the flow, you're slow even when you're doing everything "by the book". The moment you get flow, you're literally starting to "fly" and just go like mad through the stages.
In Germany it's all about being aggressive on the hairpins and keeping the car planted and smooth through the sweeping bends along with braking as late as possible.

teknoid85 said:
hello  happy new year

can someone explain me why  on gravel events  in championship i often beat all with  20-35 seconds  over 2nd place
and on tarmac it's a miracle if i  become 1st?

maybe the leaderbord times are too harsh  or  like some said tarmac physics are not so cool  :D  (porky)

I guess everybody has favourite events. I can beat the AI quite handily in Wales and Germany, while I struggle in Greece and Monte Carlo. Finland and Sweden sort of don't count, because I'm not yet really familiar with them.

Strangely though, there are stages in Sweden I lose lots of time to the AI, while I can beat them at others, although my driving doesn't feel particularly fast.

teknoid85 said:
In Monte Carlo it's all about the flow. You don't have the flow, you're slow even when you're doing everything "by the book". The moment you get flow, you're literally starting to "fly" and just go like mad through the stages.
In Germany it's all about being aggressive on the hairpins and keeping the car planted and smooth through the sweeping bends along with braking as late as possible.
as you say "the flow"   is missing :D  

maybe i record a session  and upload it on youtube  and share;  for understanding where i did wrong :)

The DiRTY Gossipers new year's resolution should be to stop multiple page long arguments about car model names.  :)

New Years Resolution: let's talk more Gossip, stop trying to correct each other, it's really not that important beyond having a little fun with each other.  

I think this thread has lost it purpose a little. 

Missing Lee feeding us hints and keeping us guessing.  

I'm still not entirely sober after New Year's eve and New Year's day.
But atleast I'm able to find the right keys on my keyboard again when I'm writing something.

I hereby wish you all a happy New Year! May it indeed be full of juicy gossip material!

Happy New year y'all!

Don't forget we had no official DiRT Rally news at the start of 2015 so our only outlet was gossip.  ;)

Happy new year! Hugely excited to be able to play DiRT Rally on PS4 in April.

Has there been any rumors about moving the game to the next ego engine before console launch? Is it even possible?

It would be very interesting to know how compatible the new engine is with old content, purely out of  my own curiosity. 

dotmartin said:
Happy new year! Hugely excited to be able to play DiRT Rally on PS4 in April.

Has there been any rumors about moving the game to the next ego engine before console launch? Is it even possible?

It would be very interesting to know how compatible the new engine is with old content, purely out of  my own curiosity. 
We are continuing to develop on the engine we used for PC and for all the previous games our studio has made. It's always newer than the last. The 'next' ego engine isn't really a relevant term anymore. 

KickUp said:
We are continuing to develop on the engine we used for PC and for all the previous games our studio has made. It's always newer than the last. The 'next' ego engine isn't really a relevant term anymore. 
Sounds resonable!

As a software developer myself, I'm always curious to learn a bit about the inner workings of the games I play. I understand you cannot give away any details, but it would be very interesting to get some glimpses of how you guys do your everyday work, what methodologies are you following, etc..

I have been interested to know how you do releases, is there like a stable branch from which you do your releases? How long is the typical release cycle? Does it differ on different platforms? I'm guessing Steam is the most flexible one? 

I guess it might be an idea for a blog post? :)