DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Crap, i read headcam, already saw this in mods thread, it's a shame the sound doesn't match the picture :(

I don't think it has any relevance to importing cars, but it might be a step closer to enabling the dev-only free camera in the public version.

freecam good god the dream ! :) i still don't get why after all these years it isn't added.

Seriously why it hasn't?
Because they'd probably want to give it a pretty, polished GUI and also to impose additional restrictions like extra collision detection and invisible walls to try and prevent things like putting the camera through the ground, walls, the cars, etc.
All things which don't matter at all in a dev build, because they aren't going to make videos or take screenshots from beneath the road looking up and other things that make a game 'look bad'.
It's a lot of extra work, which is why it's a shame it can't be enabled through command lines or console commands, etc like in a Bethesda RPG, and so only really accessed by people that understand that sort of thing. 

Totally agree with @BrySkye - that's also a reason why I believe that someone will find a way to enable it as a mod even without any fancy gui and collision detection.

I've been driving PP lately and I've started to really enjoy it. Got to say - the gravel sections are really fun to drive! I'm for a full gravel course from now on. Hopefully it's not licensing problems. Maybe the silence means that they're working on it and don't want to jinx.

BrySkye said:
Seriously why it hasn't?
Because they'd probably want to give it a pretty, polished GUI and also to impose additional restrictions like extra collision detection and invisible walls to try and prevent things like putting the camera through the ground, walls, the cars, etc.
All things which don't matter at all in a dev build, because they aren't going to make videos or take screenshots from beneath the road looking up and other things that make a game 'look bad'.
It's a lot of extra work, which is why it's a shame it can't be enabled through command lines or console commands, etc like in a Bethesda RPG, and so only really accessed by people that understand that sort of thing. 
yes and those who make videos will make better videos which in-turn make for better sales.i really dont get why many games companies dont cater for people who do videos. its the best way of marketing their games for little outlay.

make the best tools you can so people can show your great game in the best possible way.

even just allowing the dev code for free roam would do.

on skyrim as you mention how many record footage of going through the ground ? no one !!

they make epic videos because thats what people want to watch.one day someone will grasp it. hopefully soon.

you only have to look at battlefield 4 and what it did for that when a guy made a recording tool.

dgeesi0 said:
yes and those who make videos will make better videos which in-turn make for better sales.i really dont get why many games companies dont cater for people who do videos. its the best way of marketing their games for little outlay.

make the best tools you can so people can show your great game in the best possible way.

even just allowing the dev code for free roam would do.

on skyrim as you mention how many record footage of going through the ground ? no one !!

they make epic videos because thats what people want to watch.one day someone will grasp it. hopefully soon.

you only have to look at battlefield 4 and what it did for that when a guy made a recording tool.

You're looking at it too simply. I already said that with Skyrim, it's something that can only be done by knowing console commands, which is something the average player isn't going to do anything with (and it's only accessible in the PC version, not consoles).
The people who take the time to look up those consoles commands and figure out how they work are, almost by default, interested in doing cooler things with them. They have something in mind from the beginning.
Though that's not to say people don't use them to get to places they shouldn't.

If something is put in as a feature, as opposed to the remnants of debug code, it needs to be of a certain standard.
The theatre mode introduced to Halo in Halo 3 is a good example.
That's a very powerful tool, but it also took a significant bit of budget to get it that way.
Something that could be justified by being Microsofts flagship game series and also the popularity of Halo machinima. 
But they still put in all kinds of measures to try and control just how much freedom you had, with invisible walls and reset-to-character parameters.
It took some crafty gamers to find ways to break those limitations, like discovering if you killed the Master Chief by having him fall too far out of the map, the free camera wouldn't reset to him anymore, allowing you pretty much limitless freedom.
With each new release though, Bungie reigned in how powerful it was. They key tool to getting the camera outside of boundaries was bumping up the camera speed via the hidden PanCam. http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Panoramic_Camera_Mode
But in each game, the maximum camera speed was dialled back, making it harder and harder to get outside of boundaries with it.
Even they were reluctant to having people do that.

It's a potential double-edged sword, which is why many devs and publishers still have strong feelings about controlling how players use their work.

There's also additional issues, such as how leaving in debug features can require additional testing to ensure they don't open up exploits elsewhere in the game.
Going back to Halo, in order to assist in making machinima, Bungie put in button combinations in local play that would allow players to lower their weapons. This feature was locked out of any online modes to ensure it couldn't be exploited in some way to do weird things.
Worth re-noting here that Skyrim isn't an online game.
That 'little outlay' might not quite be as little as you think.

So it has to be balanced between cost, time to implement and test, vs how much it might help additional sales.
In something like GTAV, where it's allowed us to have cinematic videos of Humpback Whales randomly falling all over Los Santos, or a set of quite seriously made documentaries on the games wildlife, this is easier to justify.
A video of DiRT Rally, not matter how cool, is unlikely to go viral.

So much as I'd love it, there are plenty of reasons why it's an ultra-low priority or even considered to potentially cause more harm than good.
That's why I had higher hopes (which were still mega low) of getting access to a dev build, rather than it being implemented in the release version.
Whilst being offered the chance to visit Codies for a few days and have access to that and their video making gear is an astounding, and technically much much better offer, it's unfortunately not one I can really take up for a variety of financial and personal mental health issues.

sorry dont accept it. not attacking you but its pretty narrow minded. all the games that have allowed dev commands and somekind of feature have benefited from it. not in a small way either.

videos for dirt rally can go viral. so thats also wrong. its just they wont at moment why ? because everyone just does the same with the same limited features.

skyrim was used because its so easy to do the commands as saying only a few will use them is pretty wrong aswell.most people used them in skyrim as they do in other games. infact modding tweaking in skyrim is actually what made it so popular and still selling more now than many games even with massive budgets.

as someone who is involved with many different games and making videos for many many years i can tell you most studios are crippling themselves by not catering for video makers and streamers. they may see the downsides or its not for console but trust me those tools are what many dream for.

people could mod in the cam themselves if a little help was given. one person could do the freecam.

really do have to stop with but people will film broken stuff mentality . they wont they will mainly all film better videos which look better and more interesting.

What I meant by my post is that the ability to mod the game and to acknowledge decoding the source files would probably pave a way further to be allowed to import the cars. That's probable and not certain. 

However, that would be reversing the engineer's encrypting of the game which would no longer make them engineers.

dgeesi0 said:
sorry dont accept it. not attacking you but its pretty narrow minded.
Let me get this straight. You're calling BrySkye narrow minded (through his view on this matter) when he includes not only positive but also negative sides of releasing an unfinished free camera tool, while you don't want to accept that there is a negative side to it. Ok...

And just to make a point on how one bad thing can easily outweigh massive amount of good things. Batman Arkham Knight, game that is basically known to be utter crap at this point, only because the PC port was ruined beyond fixing, but the console versions are working flawlessly and the game itself is getting really good reviews. But it will be remembered as the worst of the series because of a one bad thing.

Every single video can go viral. It's the problem that the bad things go viral a lot faster than the good things. Or rather controversy goes viral immediately, which is what the bad sides of games are usually providing.

BrySkye said:
Seriously why it hasn't?
Well, realistically, couldn't they just add a spherical force field/physics object to the free cam and give it the same limitations as the car? They could set a vertical height limit, but trees, ground, signs, etc. would all be collided with, and the "invisible walls" that are already in place could maybe be pushed back just a little bit for freecam only. They could even copy Halo's control scheme for the controller. It obviously wouldn't work with the wheel. Not like it matters too much, but when I play Dirt 3 I can't use the flashback system since It won't let me control it with the wheel, and I can't change the buttons. Then again, the accept button is the downshift paddle and the back button is a random button on the wheel face. So a custom control setting would be a must.

One of the reasons I mentioned Halo was that, in order to use features like the lowered weapon animation and the Pan-Cam, you HAD to put the game into local/LAN setup. They were all completely disabled in online modes, including even recordings of online games.
This was done to ensure the code couldn't even potentially be exploited in online modes, and this is in a series of console games.
It was always a source of contention because it vastly limited what machinima makers reliant on Xbox Live could do.
Bungie went on record as saying the reason why was they couldn't afford or justify the costs of testing these very niche features sufficiently across all modes.

With a PC game, the possibilities of exploits from releasing unrefined code, or code that hasn't been made sufficiently secure by the devs standards, are greater by orders of magnitude.
So the reluctance to release something like that which hasn't be very rigorously tested or purpose built for the function (which brings with them a time and financial penalty) is far greater, especially in a game that is built around the concept of online leaderboards.
People that are vocal about the problems with cheaters and how it needs to be fixed should be the last ones wanting untested code being openly left in the game.

Don't get me wrong, I want the features and know many people could do great things with them.
I've been making gaming videos, even professionally, years before Youtube itself even existed.
It's that longer term experience, on both sides of the fence, which let me be a bit more informed and open minded about how many factors are involved in leaving any debug features in a modern game.

https://twitter.com/kick_up/status/685234117613518848

Interesting choice to TBT with, this just oozes with gossip 

gfRally said:
https://twitter.com/kick_up/status/685234117613518848

Interesting choice to TBT with, this just oozes with gossip 
Ooh!!!! Alpine Renault.

And, yes, i agree, i think they managed to get the Alpine and the 5 Turbo that showed up in the Germany patch.

And, yes, i agree, i think they managed to get the Alpine and the 5 Turbo that showed up in the Germany patch

any other more actual renault cars???? :(

teknoid85 said:
any other more actual renault cars???? :(
And, yes, i agree, i think they managed to get the Alpine and the 5 Turbo that showed up in the Germany patch
Not that i'm aware of, those were the two that were in the game and ready to go, but pulled at the 11th hour due to licensing.

This doesn't mean there won't be any more cars, but it's the only two that we know are ready and based on comments/gossip over the last couple of months, they seem nice and likely :)

R5 class PLS!!!                                                                     

Hoping for a french dlc pack with the two Renault and maybe the Peugeot 206 and 307?  ;)
:D Would love to see a Peugeot 206 RC (GTI 180) o:)
although the Subaru Impreza N10 / N12 would also be welcome in the group N pack o:)

ofc. the WRC cars would be cool too :P but would love to compare those cars to the real cars xD
*zipps mouth* not telling what i am doing.

i got to drive both renaults when the dev patch was released by mistake. been waiting for the r5 so long now B)