DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

I don't really see it being a car, unless it's maybe the ds3 wrc. I see it being more likely a feature in the game

tbtstt said:
gfRally said:
https://twitter.com/Kick_Up/status/686863752889810944

Been following the conversation on Twitter and this does make things interesting: as said above most of the cars we want have been a part of DiRT at some point, so what on earth could it be? One of McRae's earlier WRC cars perhaps? The Legacy or the S4/S5 Impreza WRC?

Or a bigger feature, like the rally school?

See, @KickUp is a pretty cool customer so I don't think he'd call Tuesday a cool today unless it was something new and big, and previously declined...

Would @KickUp get that excited about a car in the game? Possibly, but what other really legendary cars are out there, which are not in the game already? (Forget Toyota and Porsche, and Citroen to some extent)

I really think it's a feature. Custom pace note recording? No point and probably time consuming to develop, and pace notes are awesome already.

What else would @KickUp be asking for a while... Surely many things!

Great to have something to Gossip about again! :)

I'm sticking with my Rally School feature guess :)

I'd personally hope it's not a rally school but if it is, well... be interesting to see what the data says about how many people actually use it and for how long.

I've got it! It's Ken Block!

Nah. They obviously succeeded in their experiments in bringing Colin back to life.

There was Rally School in the first Colin Mcrae, is an option. Other options are DS3 or maybe something about online. Otherwise it has nothing to do with content.

Underkex said:
There was Rally School in the first Colin Mcrae. Or is DS3 or maybe something about online. Otherwise it has nothing to do with content.
Rally School still works though. Colin McRae Rally was well over 5 years ago. And it wasn't a DiRT game :p

BrySkye said:
I'd personally hope it's not a rally school but if it is, well... be interesting to see what the data says about how many people actually use it and for how long.

I completely understand what you mean.

What if it was more than just a tutorial, but it also came with a practice/fooling around area?

For example a large tarmac area, near a de-comissioned power station, in London because it's a famous location.

You could do drifts, slides and donuts... Oh, wait.... :tongue:

Joking aside if it's a Rally School I'd welcome a practice area to try out cars and tweak setups quickly.

Another feature, which I think would fit the bill is..... I just don't know...

Custom music playlist?  Nah, not important at all.

Stage generator/editor/builder - doubt it, that would be a very expensive feature.

Livery editor? Doubt it.

A high quality Rally School with a training area? It would be expensive to create if a new location would have to be modelled.

Keep in mind this likely has to be applied to consoles as well.

So I'd not put any money on any real kind of editing features outside of a random track generator, and I really don't think that'd happen either.

BrySkye said:

I completely understand what you mean.

What if it was more than just a tutorial, but it also came with a practice/fooling around area?

For example a large tarmac area, near a de-comissioned power station, in London because it's a famous location.

You could do drifts, slides and donuts... Oh, wait.... :tongue:

Joking aside if it's a Rally School I'd welcome a practice area to try out cars and tweak setups quickly.
Ha! Yeah, I agree that a rally school might be seen as a lot of effort for something that people will only play through on a handful of occasions but, as you say, the addition of a "playground" (in whatever form that might come in) would make the rally school feature much more worthwhile: and something you would be more inclined to revisit in order to play round with car settings.
Stage generator/editor/builder - doubt it, that would be a very expensive feature.

Livery editor? Doubt it.

As you say, these would both be features worth getting excited about... but I really can't see either being feasible options.

(Livery editor would be cool though: we might finally be able to see the 555 livery on the console!)

I'm really confident that most people don't bother with car settings at all, so even a playground or test track is only likely to be used by a tiny percentage.
And really hardcore tuners would tweak and test their car setups to specific stages where a test track is useless.

Since the release of the workshop integration and people downloading tuning setups from the likes of Porky etc, a lot of people have suddenly improved their times. People are downloading set-ups rather than making their own.
Forza is another long standing example. You can buy tuning aps for that, as well as download setups which is what the vast majority of people do. 

Digging around Rally Schools, I found this from way back, possible connection?

https://twitter.com/dirtfishrally/status/486613458406735872

EDIT: David Binks also used to work at DirtFish as an instructor

I think it would have to be something pretty innovative so would rule out any specific content.

I'd go for a random stage generator that you can either choose to recce, drive with generated pace notes or drive blind like the RAC Rally in the 80s. Simply because I think that would be really cool ;)

I hope for a rally school but a area that can ve used like a test area aswell! A area with multiple roads, conditions were you can run free as a real test...

Aka a make-up of Walters Arena or Dirt fish for an example...

The other thing is a real flying finish!

hmm dunno. rally school could be good for new players.for those that have played dirt rally since launch we been to school :)

my hope would be new zealand but cant see that. or a video editor with different cam positions for playback. i would actually pay for that .

cool tuesday i wonder if its today ! :p

Would you need explicit permission to do a Rally location, Rally School or a Replay Cam facility?

Its a manufacturer permission, surely?

My thinking is an ex-"Colin McRae Rally" car of some sort

Xsara WRC or the Evo 4

KevM said:
Would you need explicit permission to do a Rally location, Rally School or a Replay Cam facility?

Its a manufacturer permission, surely?

My thinking is an ex-"Colin McRae Rally" car of some sort

Xsara WRC or the Evo 4
Yeah, after calmly down a little, I was thinking the same thing.  

If if they where to use a specific rally school, then permission would be needed.  But I keep thinking it's not going to be a big addition, and more like a livery or car, yeah Colin related

A lot of people are still assuming it will be in for Console release, i doubt this, its more likely going to be a later update.

Hopefully they've been allowed to go to New Zealand, rally stages and Race to the Sky hill climb please!
gfRally said:
Digging around Rally Schools, I found this from way back, possible connection?

https://twitter.com/dirtfishrally/status/486613458406735872

EDIT: David Binks also used to work at DirtFish as an instructor

They also visited Phil Price Rally school in development for DIRT3, and the game featured an unlockable livery. While I think a rally school is a good idea i dont think thats what he's talking about.

Even if it's a later update, that doesn't mean it won't also apply to the console releases, which is why I say PC-specific features like editing tools are unlikely.

We don't know who the permission is from. It could be from Codies management for all we know.

Not featured in DiRT series, does that mean that it was featured in CMR series? Maybe the 3D park assistance? 

BrySkye said:
Even if it's a later update, that doesn't mean it won't also apply to the console releases, which is why I say PC-specific features like editing tools are unlikely.

We don't know who the permission is from. It could be from Codies management for all we know.

Yes I agree with that, im talking about a time frame, they deffinately wont add a large feature only on one platform.
I think it sounds like its from management rather than an external party, perhaps: "Yeah go ahead you can blow a few thousand on a trip to NZ if you really think its worth it"

I'm gonna sum a few things up:
  1. @Kickup: "Lets just say something that I have wanted for our games...."
Well I see there's a plural - games. So it may not be only related to racing games.

2.  @Kickup: "
... well over 5 years has finally been approved :)"
Game's that surely didn't contain them are all DiRTs and GRIDS.

3. @Kickup: "@Rallycameraman @MastaVonBlasta It will be coming to DR"
We can be sure it's coming. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be in both releases (consoles and PCs).
I'm assuming that either he and his team had this done and closed in a drawer even without management approval. In that case there's no problem in implementing it before release (guys it's 3 months, that's hell lot of time).

My gut tells my it could be something related to cheater detection, dunno why.

BrySkye said:
Not Porsche. That's been flat out stated to be impossible. 

I suppose as something completely new to the series... well, I wouldn't put much stock in it, but the DS3 WRC made was in development from 2010 and made it's full season debut in 2011.

That entirely depends on whether or not their license with EA ends finally. I really hope it does. I really, really hope it does.
Oh, and they finally made Pikes Peak all dirt! Right? Please?