DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

I always wondered, wouldn't it be more efficient to hire a local surveyor to gather the data needed for a particular location/stage and maybe even a local photographer, than to send a handful of game devs around the world? Not saying the devs don't know what they're doing, but using people that do a particular thing for a living seems like it'd be more cost effective and quicker.

versedi said:

2.  @Kickup: "
... well over 5 years has finally been approved :)"
Game's that surely didn't contain them are all DiRTs and GRIDS.

Of course it could have been a new idea he has wanted to implement for the past 5 years, so not necessarily something from a previous game. @Versedi has nicely covered it with "surely didn't contain them" though ;)

Let's see.

It's not the two Renault's, they were in Dirt3 and have more or less finally been confirmed now :)

It's not likely to be a rally school as that kind of thing was already in previous Dirts and as someone already pointed out, it won't add a lot to the game. (but would certainly help people starting into the genre)

Porsche?  Possibly, though i'm not sure if they've never been in a CM game?  Paul was testing a Porsche internally, only as a concept though, his tweet at the time i *think* mentioned whether it would never happen or maybe never happen, anyone?

Evo's, they've been wanted a lot (by Paul), but i think some were in previous games? anyone?

New Zealand, stated by Paul to be something he's always wanted.....

I do not think this would be an engine feature.

Not ready before console release isn't a 'thing' these days, next gen consoles are as update-able as PC's (just not in a decent time frame as PC's)

Yep!                                                                                                        

Areyouben said:
WRC license wouldn't be that crazy at all. DiRT Rally shows a sim can sell well and surely the WRC folks have seen how good and populair DiRT Rally has become. 
It would be crazy considering that the WRC media company won't give the game to anybody who won't make a babygame to suit all audiences. Because it's a sports brand, it has to be able to be accessible for kids, which is shite. If Codemasters never has it, then I'll personally force-feed it back to Evo Studios. 

It would be freakin awesome the WRC license but it wouldnt be in DiRT Rally i think, it would be in a standalone game i think
WRC MEGA PATCH SUPER SECRET RELEASE! Just like DiRT Rally was sprung upon us out of nowhere :D 

I'm gonna sum a few things up:
  1. @Kickup: "Lets just say something that I have wanted for our games...."
Well I see there's a plural - games. So it may not be only related to racing games.

I would assume that it is only games that he has been involved in, which I believe to be only the dirt games but yes plural racing games...

3. @Kickup: "@Rallycameraman @MastaVonBlasta It will be coming to DR"
We can be sure it's coming. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be in both releases (consoles and PCs).
I'm assuming that either he and his team had this done and closed in a drawer even without management approval. In that case there's no problem in implementing it before release (guys it's 3 months, that's hell lot of time).

Three months is not much time at all, and I highly doubt they have been working on something in their own time, maybe a test to try something but no a complete item.
Again. Why do you think it has to be finished by April?!?!?!

Rally Raid was in DIRT 2 so cant be that.

Evo IX was in DIRT 2 also.

There werent any rally schools in the DIRT games, only in Colin McRae Games.

Maybe Skoda??????? Never in a DiRT game also never in a CMR
Skoda were a regular in CMR.

Porsche?  Possibly, though i'm not sure if they've never been in a CM game?  Paul was testing a Porsche internally, only as a concept though, his tweet at the time i *think* mentioned whether it would never happen or maybe never happen, anyone?
New Zealand, stated by Paul to be something he's always wanted.....

Not ready before console release isn't a 'thing' these days, next gen consoles are as update-able as PC's (just not in a decent time frame as PC's)
It was in the Xmas DiRT Show that Paul said Porsche was flat-out impossible, so it was his 'if anything was possible' dream addition.
New Zealand is also unlikely. Same show Paul himself said while he would love it, it's too similar to Wales to really make sense to add it to the current 6 locations. Something more unique would come first.

Whilst console games can be updated, significant new features are still not the norm and it's something Codies have never attempted before on console formats.
Certainly cars, liveries or locations could come later, but not a game changing feature.

While the WRC license would be awesome, I have a hard time believing it.

But can it be? Damn you @KickUp, these rumours are pure evil!

A pro tournament?

I disagree that NZ is too similar to Wales, The both have sheep and forests and raid and mud... but despite that, the style of the stages and the mountainous terrain used in NZ rallies do make it very different

I'd have thought a full WRC license might actually harm DIRT, as it'd bring restrictions, and they'd have to model all the cars/stages so quality would suffer perhaps. Although it's a tasty prospect.

Maybe one day, if Codemasters ever get the WRC license, they could do it justice with some big engine/hub with DLC that can be slotted in, you'd then get each of the events added as DLC to make the championship (for low cost/free as per Early Access) and then paid DLC could be historic rally content e.g. 60s with historical videos, etc. it could be a proper multimedia one-stop rally gaming destination!

BrySkye said:
You are wrong Skoda werent regular in CMR, the ONLY Skoda in a codemasters game was the Skoda Felicia Kit Car in CMR1, i dont call regular to a Car manufacturer who have appeared only once in a 5 games saga and with only one car

Skoda is a good shout. If I recall correctly the S2000 Fabia was pulled from DiRT 3 due to licensing issues, so perhaps they have finally sorted it? 

Agree that it couldn't be the WRC license, this 'thing' is coming to DR, so it cannot be the license.
As already mentioned by others, it's likely to be too damaging and Paul has already stated, too limiting for them.

Thank you for the Porsche clarification, @BrySkye, though i will disagree with the NZ thing, Paul has said he wants that, but gave it a justification of not being able to get it due to it's similarities with Wales, doesn't mean he hasn't finally gotten it ;)  However, i think that would be a massive undertaking for them at this point to get in DR.

I think earlier Mitsubishi Evo's are most likely right now, Skoda is possible, but i'm not sure if they're something Paul will have 'always wanted in their games' ?

BrySkye said:
You are wrong Skoda werent regular in CMR, the ONLY Skoda in a codemasters game was the Skoda Felicia Kit Car in CMR1, i dont call regular to a Car manufacturer who have appeared only once in a 5 games saga and with only one car
Fair enough, probably crossed a wire with V-Rally, but you said 'never', which is also wrong. :P 

austinb said:
I disagree that NZ is too similar to Wales, The both have sheep and forests and raid and mud... but despite that, the style of the stages and the mountainous terrain used in NZ rallies do make it very different
You can disagree all you want, but it's a general observation for the masses. :P 
It's in reference to the games palette. Yes, it's different, but it's not different -enough-.
Paul said this himself, so that's something we just have to accept.

When you only have 6-8 locations, every one has to be very different.
Paul knows that and knows that at the end of the day, it's better for the game.
Sometimes games design is going to conflict with the rally enthusiast inside us.

That's why I've championed somewhere like Malaysia, which has a lot of distinct red soil/mud and tropical foliage completely unlike anything in the game right now.
Australia would also hold up.
Or possibly Japan which, while in some ways similar to Monte Carlo with a lot of hill-side tarmac sections, also tends to feature heavy rain with open Japanese countryside, rice paddies, etc, with more high speed sections.

After Milestone's derailment from the rally spirit of the WRC license, I hereby reckon the 5 year waiting implemented its goal.

I'm not excited about a WRC licence tbh. I'm fine with DR's slice of rally history. A few 2010 cars do it for me, I don't need all 2016 teams and drivers.