DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

I for one am really happy to hear confirmation that they're going the route of upgrading the engine to make something even better. I think it's a wise choice to take the plunge now instead of wasting energy adding bits and pieces to DR. DR was an experiment to test the waters and see if people would liked a more realistic game. Now it's time to make a platform to expand on for an extended period of time. I hope they go the Early Access route again.

@BrySkye

Well I did say procedurally generated, that does not necessarily mean random, it just means that it gets computed "live", and the whole map does not need to be pre-loaded, you could create real life stages like this, although that would present a unique challenge for the development of every single stage.
In contrast to that if you look at the possibility of having randomly generated stages, I think with today's possibilities you could  create a much more life-like environment. One "simple" way I could think of is having certain set-pieces as landmarks and then have them connected by generated roads.

So IF we get procedural generation in a modern rally game, there needs to be found a balance, or rather made a decision which way to go, both will give us the longest rally game to that date, and none of our bodies will ever be too short again.

I see that everyone is really optimistic so maybe there's a language boundary that kept me from understanding the real thing that Paul have mentioned or either I'm too pessimistic. Hopefully it's the first ;)

I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really can't wait for April!

On a totally unrelated note, has there been any mention of if leagues will be cross-platform? I tried searching but couldn't find anything.

[OT] I won't make a new post for such humble info but if anyone's interested there's a free version of NFS Most Wanted on Origin as a special gift. [/OT]

Azoresst said:
Btw @JonTucker is everywhere! :smiley:               
These look awesome :D

ramPage16 said:
I for one am really happy to hear confirmation that they're going the route of upgrading the engine to make something even better. I think it's a wise choice to take the plunge now instead of wasting energy adding bits and pieces to DR. DR was an experiment to test the waters and see if people would liked a more realistic game. Now it's time to make a platform to expand on for an extended period of time. I hope they go the Early Access route again.
Yep. We all know Paul and the team are perfectionists who love rallying as much as we do, so I'm sure we're all on the same page about what we want out of a great rally sim. Now they have the green light to go do it. I'll save the wishlist for another time, but I'm excited for all the possibilities. Either way, I have full faith in the guys that they'll make something epic.

Add in their great performance with Early Access, with timely updates, fixes, and listening to the community, and I'm very excited to see what the future holds.

dwkGravey said:
On a totally unrelated note, has there been any mention of if leagues will be cross-platform? I tried searching but couldn't find anything.
I had asked Paul this on Twitter, but got no reply.  I would love to know the answer.  
If the leagues are to be run separated, I would actually consider selling the PC to go console

versedi said:
[OT] I won't make a new post for such humble info but if anyone's interested there's a free version of NFS Most Wanted on Origin as a special gift. [/OT]
Thanks @versedi I'm downloading it now!

I knew the Gossip thread would almost shut down after a final announcement was made and all was revealed xD 

gfRally said:
I knew the Gossip thread would almost shut down after a final announcement was made and all was revealed xD 

I would suggest making up a hoax to glitter the minds a bit. :)

Ah! We still wait for the famously debated Subie and for the famously debated Quattro!

Nothing will end the gossip thread. Here, I'll make it continue for a bit.

Why are there no toyotas or a Citroen ds3 wrc in the game? And where is the Subaru 22b WRC and the Quattro S1 E2?

Why are there no toyotas or a Citroen ds3 wrc in the game? And we're the Subaru 22b WRC and the Quattro S1 E2?
That 22B naming tho :smile: 

Yeah, I re-asked this morning!  :)

Might get a PS4 and a G920..... 

Why are there no toyotas or a Citroen ds3 wrc in the game? And where is the Subaru 22b WRC and the Quattro S1 E2?
Off is the direction in which you can f*ck!! :p 

KevM said:

G920 is for Xbone. And for that price you can get a T300RS, which is a lot better.

Not to mention, if the next DiRT Rally/4 will have Early Access, it will be PC only as well. I don't see a point in selling a PC to get a console.

Kev, Paul did reply, the Leagues are not cross platform.
Well that sucks. I guess it's console proprieties getting in the way. Too bad all leagues can't be available to everyone, with RaceNet handling all the player names and times.

KevM said:

This is the reason cross-platform doesn't happen!

Historically, cross-play, AND cross times have been discouraged or even denied by the console manufacturers :(

At least the console crowd will make due without all cheaters the PC master race brings ;)