DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Darhour said:
gfRally said:
@Darhour diversity? How so? 

Im to short for my body 
Diversity was mainly implied in the whole paragraph I typed.
Unfortunately we have the same problem here: dominated by Higgins as of late, most of the top guys run Subarus (now).

Block made it competitive, the 2013 season was the most exciting since the 2007/2008 seasons IMHO.  

The 2wd class is a 'diverse' mix of cars and drivers winning.  

I love my home events and the Rally events over here in general.  But without attracting other manufacturers and possibly a WRC driver or two, the top Open class is going to get boring for the drivers and spectating.  

We have very small market with very little exposure.  It's one of the reasons why I used to be very vocal about having more US locations and Rally America involved (in addition to Europe) in DiRT Rally, to expose more people here in the US to Rally and get the word out.  

Be be glad you have the WRC (and ERC) over there, don't take it for granted, it's still relevant no matter at least there are many manufacturers competing, despite the same driver winning.

tbtstt said:

I wouldn't underestimate Citroen . I personally don't think they have been "fully committed" during any of the VW years, so next year could prove very interesting: beating VW isn't going to be easy though!
That's a strong point, hopefuly!

But is it possible to built a brand new car for new regulations in half the time as VW that will be able to compete with them?

GOSSIP:
What's that?

WRC2 is really fun, lot of talent and lots of candidates for the win.
I love WRC and I think that it couldnt be compared with Rally America. Even if WRC is boring because of Ogier
WRC 2 now has the same issue as WRC; Evans will win everything, so long as he doesn't get car faults. 

I have to catch up on this year's WRC.  I know that some Red Bull site hosts the reviews for free but I can't seem to find it.  Can someone link me to Monte Carlo and Sweden review videos?

gfRally said:
Darhour said:
gfRally said:
@Darhour diversity? How so? 

Im to short for my body 
Diversity was mainly implied in the whole paragraph I typed.
Unfortunately we have the same problem here: dominated by Higgins as of late, most of the top guys run Subarus (now).

Block made it competitive, the 2013 season was the most exciting since the 2007/2008 seasons IMHO.  

The 2wd class is a 'diverse' mix of cars and drivers winning.  

I love my home events and the Rally events over here in general.  But without attracting other manufacturers and possibly a WRC driver or two, the top Open class is going to get boring for the drivers and spectating.  

We have very small market with very little exposure.  It's one of the reasons why I used to be very vocal about having more US locations and Rally America involved (in addition to Europe) in DiRT Rally, to expose more people here in the US to Rally and get the word out.  

Be be glad you have the WRC (and ERC) over there, don't take it for granted, it's still relevant no matter at least there are many manufacturers competing, despite the same driver winning.
 I can't agree more about the same manufacturer winning over and over again in Rally America, but we do really have a diversity of classes with a long range of old and new cars competing each other, and also we have diverse locations with diverse conditions and surfaces only in one location.

I really appreciate how rallying rooting itself worldwide and benefiting from modern technology to make itself eminent in motosport and to be appeasing, but we do want new faces to win the WRC as it used to be and also to be known worldwide to encourage discarded talents. For example, in Morocco, we have this idiot Bennani competing alongside Loeb in WTCC and the media keeps spotting light on him as a Champion meanwhile he is an idiot always ending up last or amongst the last positions. It just needs to push forwards not only being prominent in WRC and ERC.

They did an amazing job in DiRT 2 when they included Moroccan stages and also American ones like Utah, but as you mentioned, why not including some in DR?

griev0r said:
I have to catch up on this year's WRC.  I know that some Red Bull site hosts the reviews for free but I can't seem to find it.  Can someone link me to Monte Carlo and Sweden review videos?
Here: http://www.redbull.tv/shows/AP-1M7QKC2W51W11/world-rally-championship-2016

Last year they had the whole season but I only see Sweden 2016, although I'm on my phone. 

tbtstt said:
Also waiting for announcements from EKS, OMSE, Munnich Motorsport and JRM as well. 
Does OMSE even have any drivers left? Bakkerud went to Block's team, Nitišs wrote on twitter, that he'll be leaving the team as well. Timerzyanov will be joining the Austrian team

gfRally said:
The series is broadcast live on WRX site, correct?  Also, if it is live, is there a recording for viewing later?  With the huge time difference over here, they tend to fall at odd hours.  Hoping to watch every race this year, if only FIA would make some sort of deal with a US network to broadcast.
It's live streamed and archived here: http://livestream.com/fiaworldrallycross

I hope the FIA doesn't make a deal, because then they'll block the free live stream!

Didzis said:
tbtstt said:
Also waiting for announcements from EKS, OMSE, Munnich Motorsport and JRM as well. 
Does OMSE even have any drivers left? Bakkerud went to Block's team, Nitišs wrote on twitter, that he'll be leaving the team as well. Timerzyanov will be joining the Austrian team
They don't have any drivers at the moment: one of the junior Eriksson's seems likely though and, if rumours are to believed, the son of another famous WRC driver as well...

To the Americans in here saying how crap it is that they are neglected from the world of rallying: Firstly the main issue with it being based mainly in Europe is cost. Everyone is tight nowadays and people cant just travel the world all the time (even manufacture backed teams arent fond.) The simple fact is that the majority of fans are in europe. I do appreciate that you have a lot of passionate people and some great stages, but these are the main reasons.
WRC is trying to keep itself international with arg, mex, aus, and now china! And although you may feel that its still miles away (and it is) Rally Mexico is at the moment the North American rally. And tbh i think a rally in the US would struggle to match the spectator numbers that you find in rally Mexico. Simply, more people in Mexico care about having a WRC event than I believe would in the US.
So i dont think really that its america getting neglected by international rallying, Its more that Rally America deserves a bigger spotlight within its own country.  
And that is a sad reality that i wish for your sakes would change, just like i wish rallying was as popular as it has been in the past here in England. 

griev0r said:
Thank you!  Yeah I'm only seeing Sweden as well.
Strange, they had the Monte episode before, I watched it there

sqdstr said:
griev0r said:
Thank you!  Yeah I'm only seeing Sweden as well.
Strange, they had the Monte episode before, I watched it there
They must be only allowed to show the latest rally this year. :disappointed: 

Yeah, they only show the most recent unfortunately. Still, better than nothing I suppose.

The discussion on Rally America makes me think of how great it would be to have US stages in DR, although a lot of the cars in the game would be out of place there. Once you're out of the sea of Subarus in the faster classes (hope you like the sound of boxer engines, because that's what you'll be hearing all day), the 2wd classes become more diverse, but you won't be seeing any rally icons like we have in the game. There's a very 'grassroots' feel to it, lots of small teams with cheap, regular cars competing for fun - Honda Civics, some older Toyotas and Mazdas, VW Golfs, etc. The more professional teams use Fiestas and similar newer cars. It's a very different atmosphere what a local rally in Europe would be.

My personal dream DLC pack would be LSPR stages, with their beautiful fall colors and very slippery surface conditions, and an R2 Fiesta like what Team O'Neil builds and runs. Wrestling a low-power FWD car like that through the muddy and rainy forests of Michigan would be wonderful.

None of this is Gossip, so I'll stop here. I don't want to accidentally turn this into a wishlist thread  ;)

WRC sinces the last 15 years sucks..... Not because of the cars, but rather the lack of competition.

At the time of group A, it was usual to have up to 8 pilots battling for the driver title....

RookieOne said:
WRC sinces the last 15 years sucks..... Not because of the cars, but rather the lack of competition.

At the time of group A, it was usual to have up to 8 pilots battling for the driver title....

This fellow is who made rallying more appealing to be fanatic about... RIP!

@BadD0g @austinb 

I completely understand what you guys are saying and I do agree.

I think you misread what I was saying about WRC in the US, I meant if RA could attract a WRC class driver to compete in the series, it would make an interesting season.  Not expecting anyone named Sebastien :wink: , but who competes in WRC, maybe somebody that lost their ride and has contacts to back a season here.

I know very well that a WRC event will never come back to America.  The laws, insurance and peoples fears are beyond comprehension here.   

I hope I wasn't coming across as whining.  I have pretty much given up hope that DR and beyond would include any US location outside of Pikes Peak, and I am ok with that.  My therapist says its good to move on..  :smile: 

RookieOne said:

In short, French ruined it xD

You're forgetting about Tommi Mäkinen and Marcus Grönholm (granted, he only won the title twice) :p 

gfRally said:
I hope I wasn't coming across as whining.  I have pretty much given up hope that DR and beyond would include any US location outside of Pikes Peak, and I am ok with that.  My therapist says its good to move on..  :smile: 
Not at all, I was just musing about the sport since it's so different here.
I wonder if David Higgins is ever going to make the jump to a WRC team? He's obviously quite comfortable with Subaru at the moment but it would be interesting to see him competing with the big guys. I think that's a more likely prospect than a WRC driver entering Rally America unfortunately, even if it would be good for the sport.

I know it's unlikely to get US stages in the game, but we can dream, right?  ;)

Evilsmurf said:
You're forgetting about Tommi Mäkinen and Marcus Grönholm (granted, he only won the title twice) :p 
Not surely forgetting those chaps of course unlike the French who made it delinquently abhorrent to be fond of anymore .. :)

RookieOne said:

Well, not really. Rally has mostly been a game for two players: Ford versus Fiat in the late 70s, Lancia vs Audi (83/84), Audi vs Peugeot (85), Peugeot vs Lancia (86), Lancia vs Toyota (89-92)...

Only after the introduction of WRC from the late 90s to the early/mid 2000s did we have three or four teams and more than two or three drivers to really compete for the title. Then it dried out again and left only two teams (Citroen and Ford) for several years. So, having up to five competitive teams in 2017 is something special. Let's hope it lasts.

PaloSamo has it right

At the time of Didier Auriol, everyone was on the title (Auriol, Sainz, Delecour, Kankunnen, Miki Biaison, etc....) at the time, it was not even who was the fastest but who had better endurance as being fast meant more chance of doing a championship-ending mistake. Auriol himself said that hte problem of rallying right now was not the pilot, but the lack of risk taken by the teams (taking people who come from money instead of people that are at the grassroot level, but that have big potential), which mean that you will have 1 or 2 great pilot and create a complete lack of competition (like when Loeb was rallying)

Last time we had a situation where it was more than 2 people battling for the tile, it was in 1999 if i'm not mistaken 

During the Loeb period, WRC literally had no excitement because you knew that Loeb would win the the championship and most rallyes. It's like when Schumacher was dominating the Formula 1 Championship, with the difference being that Loeb did not cheat